lot of young talent on defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

lot of young talent on defense

chung, butler, mccourty, spikes, mayo - these guys could all be really good. with the high-round picks the dream is possible that we draft a immediate impact DE and OLB. but how long could it take this young secondary to gel. i don't feel hopes can be high this year for the D but perhaps next year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: lot of young talent on defense

We will contend this year.  Anything can happen in the playoffs.  Next year begins our next run of being a serious contender for several years.  The young guys will all have enough experience, not to mention our 4 picks in the first two rounds next year.  I can think of no team in the modern era that has accumulated so many upper round picks over 3 years as the Pats.  The last time I recall anything similar it was the Cowboys of the 90's...Jimmy Johnson was the coach...a good friend of BB.  We all know how that worked out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

the herschel walker trade... jimmy johnson said "we are going to be awesome"
    so true. i've tried to study up on the best teams ever but the cowboys dynasty team is not fun to watch because they are far too dominant

In Response to Re: lot of young talent on defense:
    [QUOTE]We will contend this year.  Anything can happen in the playoffs.  Next year begins our next run of being a serious contender for several years.  The young guys will all have enough experience, not to mention our 4 picks in the first two rounds next year.  I can think of no team in the modern era that has accumulated so many upper round picks over 3 years as the Pats.  The last time I recall anything similar it was the Cowboys of the 90's...Jimmy Johnson was the coach...a good friend of BB.  We all know how that worked out.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

We've not yet seen him on the field but perhaps adding Cunningham to the discussion makes sense.  No question that the D has become younger, faster and more athletic.  And if I were to be a total optimist (and leave practical reality behind) perhaps Crable and McKenzie will heal and grow on the PS.  Regardless, within the next 2 years I see this bunch on D as being among the league's best.  2010 is anyone's guess but I'm thinking that by the last 1/3 of the season they'll be quite good.

My 2 cents.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to lot of young talent on defense:
    [QUOTE]chung, butler, mccourty, spikes, mayo - these guys could all be really good. with the high-round picks the dream is possible that we draft a immediate impact DE and OLB. but how long could it take this young secondary to gel. i don't feel hopes can be high this year for the D but perhaps next year?
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

I for one think the schedule is set up fairly well for us.  We have to get by the Bengals, I think we can, catch the Jets early without Holmes, then Buffalo and Miami.  Then the bye week.  Thats 3 teams we at least know fairly well, and a week to think about it before we hit the "heavy" part of the schedule.  I'm not terribly afraid of the Jet defense at this point, we have what appears to be a functional spread offense that should make them play more conservatively or pay.  We can come out of this section 4-0 or 3-1 easily, and have that defense a bit more seasoned, with a week to make changes needed.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to lot of young talent on defense:
    [QUOTE]chung, butler, mccourty, spikes, mayo - these guys could all be really good. with the high-round picks the dream is possible that we draft a immediate impact DE and OLB. but how long could it take this young secondary to gel. i don't feel hopes can be high this year for the D but perhaps next year?
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, they will improve as the season progresses, and in time, they will become a solid core for our D.  However, I'm pretty sure that their inexperience will result in some huge, ugly plays due to blown coverages.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

we also need some guys to protect brady, since he will be staying with us for a few more years!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

in the SB years when Samuel and Gay rotated in due to injuries with Ty law and Poole, the front seven were pretty much awesome.

the current crop of young Db's will be exposed by the Pats lack of pass rush and the learning while under fire this year, will help them in future years.

But if BB can scheme w the current crop of young defensive talent, then I think we will all be surprised to make it far into the playoffs.

Either way, I am interested to see how BB and the defense adjusts this year and how well the D performs in realtion to the expected high flying offense we should have in 2010.

If Brady, Moss and Welker go back to near 2007 form and the likes of Tate, Gronk and Hernandez can also perform better than their 2007 peers, then we could be looking at large leads where the defensive style of bend but don't break may enable the Pats to hold onto the leads that in 2009 they lost in teh 4th quarter...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to lot of young talent on defense : I for one think the schedule is set up fairly well for us.  We have to get by the Bengals, I think we can, catch the Jets early without Holmes, then Buffalo and Miami.  Then the bye week.  Thats 3 teams we at least know fairly well, and a week to think about it before we hit the "heavy" part of the schedule.  I'm not terribly afraid of the Jet defense at this point, we have what appears to be a functional spread offense that should make them play more conservatively or pay.  We can come out of this section 4-0 or 3-1 easily, and have that defense a bit more seasoned, with a week to make changes needed.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and I agree with this opener being a trigger game. If they win and get confidence, I can see them doing 3-1.  4-0 is a lot to ask, especially since they don't play well in Miami.

It'd actually be amazing to go into the Bye at 4-0 because they'd win both division games against the best competition ON THE ROAD.

But, they need to really come out hot in this game, early.  The crowd needs to show up, too. 

Normally I wouldn't say that, but with ticket prices so high, there are so many casual fans in the more expensive seats down low who just don't make enough noise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

[QUOTE]in the SB years when Samuel and Gay rotated in due to injuries with Ty law and Poole, the front seven were pretty much awesome. the current crop of young Db's will be exposed by the Pats lack of pass rush and the learning while under fire this year, will help them in future years. But if BB can scheme w the current crop of young defensive talent, then I think we will all be surprised to make it far into the playoffs. Either way, I am interested to see how BB and the defense adjusts this year and how well the D performs in realtion to the expected high flying offense we should have in 2010. If Brady, Moss and Welker go back to near 2007 form and the likes of Tate, Gronk and Hernandez can also perform better than their 2007 peers, then we could be looking at large leads where the defensive style of bend but don't break may enable the Pats to hold onto the leads that in 2009 they lost in teh 4th quarter...
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

As I was watching the game last night, when NOs started being more aggressive and blitzing Favre, etc, Collinsneck referenced the lead having more to do with Greg Williams doing more and taking more risks.

There is no question that a lead helps a D.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to lot of young talent on defense : Hopefully, they will improve as the season progresses, and in time, they will become a solid core for our D.  However, I'm pretty sure that their inexperience will result in some huge, ugly plays due to blown coverages.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Not if they are in man coverage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]We will contend this year.  Anything can happen in the playoffs.  Next year begins our next run of being a serious contender for several years.  The young guys will all have enough experience, not to mention our 4 picks in the first two rounds next year.  I can think of no team in the modern era that has accumulated so many upper round picks over 3 years as the Pats.  The last time I recall anything similar it was the Cowboys of the 90's...Jimmy Johnson was the coach...a good friend of BB.  We all know how that worked out.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
    Early round picks don't mean squat. Look at the past early picks. No guarantees.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would like to have a beastly man-child on the line next to Wilfork.  I think Seymour was the 7th overall pick and even then he performed better than predicted.  The Pats will get a chance to get a premium lineman next year in the draft.  That pick may not be as good as Seymour in his prime but could really help this team.  Defensive lineman tend to go fast so lets hope that whoever is ahead of the Pats is interested in some 4-3 types. 

A return of Warren and a development from Brace or another lineman could drastically improve this defense in 2011.  Cunningham has the talent to be a great OLB, and Banta-Cain does a good job creating pressure. 

Right now the Pats just need to get some development from their very young and talented secondary, it may be tough on them this year but I think they can be very good.  I wouldn't count the Pats out of the SB hunt this year, and I can only see this team getting better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

A young but surely talented D needs confidence to build on. To me, the key is our offense early this season. If we can stay on the field, have long, sustained drives, eat up the clock and score points, our D will be in a position to succeed. If we can't and we put all the pressure on our D, and they don't succeed, I see a loss of confidence which will hurt us going into the tough part of the schedule. 

BTW..I think we have one of the most potent offenses in the league. We know how legitimate 3rd and 4th WR's, TE's that can catch, block and be red zone targets, and a RB group (if they can stay healthy), will be adequate. Lets pray Taylor, Morris and Maroney all stay healthy and at least keep defenses honest so they don't come after TB with the kitchen sink on every down. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Mayo, now, is a glorified Bart Scott with much more being asked of him, I believe, by the defense he is apart of. Sure, Jerod Mayo has a higher ceiling than Bart Scott as far as potential goes, and surem Mayo is the better athlete, but I'm not sure there is too drastic of a difference in production or strength between the he and Bart Scott.

Brandon Meriweather has a lot going on for him, and Belichick puts a lot on his plate. Safeties are the last line of defense, and Brandon has a long way to travel before he reaches that short distance away from greatness.

To me, Darius Butler and Devin McCourty are set, they're going to be a great cornerback tandem in the future. Jonathan Wilhite can contribute, and hopefully Leigh Bodden finds his niche back in this whole fold. Terrence Wheatley has a lot to offer I feel, but he's been brittle so far. Kyle Arrington has some potential too, so I'm really looking forward to that core of players. Pat Chung is another who really wants it and will fight to improve, so I have faith that he'll develop in time. Jarrad Page is the other secondary figure who could have a great impact. We'll see how all this talent fairs after some experience.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm hoping Ron Brace can progress and be the RE that the Patriots need. He's really good at rushing the passer, but he might be a playbook idiot. I think he can help the defense a lot if he gets the chance. 

Definitely see the Pats drafting an OLB next year though. I don't think TBC is the answer moving forward.  

Butler, McCourty and Bodden - CBs
    Chung, Meriweather - S
    Spikes, Mayo - ILBs
    Cunningham, (TBD) - OLBs
    Brace and Warren - DEs
    Wilfork - NT

We're only missing another OLB on that defense. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A DL would be great, but honestly, with Matt Light on the downside of his career, I'd rather see the Pats use a top pick on an offensive tackle who could line up opposite Volmer and protect Brady's other side. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Our 1st and 2nd round picks in the draft mean nothing if they select the wrong players.  Psssing up a pass rusher in Clay Matthews to trade back and get Brace?  How's that working out.  I love Bill as a coach, not so much as a GM.  I really think Piolli had the draft brains.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I see RDE, OLB, OT, C, RB and 3rd down RB as big needs in the near future.  Add OG if Mankins is gone too.  But I love the young guns we have.  Tons of top end, top draft talent. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Cincinnati has a big but dumb offensive line.  Ron Brace would counter some of their raw strength in run situations. 

I'm rooting for Cunningham to get at least a few snaps because there's no film of him anywhere, surprise surprise for Cincy, and rushing the QB takes little or no additional NFL training.  Cunningham has good rip and swim moves, he has the explosion to get around the end and into the QB on his blind side, he has the bulk to bull rush and he has the long arms to keep blockers off his body so that he gets a second chance.  Long arms also shrink passing lanes and cause tipped balls.  That's why the team drafted him, to bother the quarterback, and he was practicing with the first team before injury.  Put him in as a change of pace.  If Ron Brace or Wilfork is in, let the big lineman push forward and stunt Cunningham behind him to a clear path through the line.  Have Cunningham drop back into coverage exactly once all game.  I don't trust young Cunningham in coverage.