LOU REED 1942-2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

LOU REED 1942-2013

One of the greats...without the Velvet Underground and his music and poetry rock and roll would not have been what it became through his many fans and disciples...a true punk/rock legend

Rest In Peace Lou

legend

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: LOU REED 1942-2013

Patriots board....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of the greats...without the Velvet Underground and his music and poetry rock and roll would not have been what it became through his many fans and disciples...a true punk/rock legend

Rest In Peace Lou

legend

[/QUOTE]

so are the giants and Eli taking a walk on the wild side. 2-6 baby

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

A true legend indeed - unlike the Giants you troll for.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]

Rest In Peace Lou

legend

[/QUOTE]

Lou and the Velvets were a voice that said: loneliness and desperation were normal and ok to feel and express. I am thankful for that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Loved the Velvets and Lou very much. R.I.P.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

True story: In the 90s I worked with an older guy close to retirement.  Great guy.  Anyway, his first job out of college was with a big NYC bank in the early 1960s. The first assignment he was given was to basically babysit the bank president's 19 year old son because the kid was a little out of control and the prez was worried he'd get into worse trouuble than he'd already been in and it would reflect poorly on the prez. 

So you probably know where this is going...the kid was Lou Reed, and there was some pretty crazy stories about the year or so he had to keep him out of trouble. He wasn't completely successful in his assignment. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Had the privilege several times...some shows I remember...some I don't. Velvet Underground was as cutting edge as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMLt9bMd_I

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Boston was probably the Velvet Underground's favorite city to play in. They were rock stars in town. Much more popular in Boston than in New York after they left Warhol. The Velvet Underground's DNA is all over alternative rock in general but in Boston even more so. The Modern Lovers and the Cars would be unthinkable without Lou Reed. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Just another overrated and untalented rock and roller. Jazz is where it's at my patriots brethren

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

True story: In the 90s I worked with an older guy close to retirement.  Great guy.  Anyway, his first job out of college was with a big NYC bank in the early 1960s. The first assignment he was given was to basically babysit the bank president's 19 year old son because the kid was a little out of control and the prez was worried he'd get into worse trouuble than he'd already been in and it would reflect poorly on the prez. 

So you probably know where this is going...the kid was Lou Reed, and there was some pretty crazy stories about the year or so he had to keep him out of trouble. He wasn't completely successful in his assignment. 

[/QUOTE]

cool story Muz...yeah I can imagine trying to keep a young Lou Reed out of trouble! Lou probably got him in trouble haha. Good story thx for sharing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rest In Peace Lou

legend

[/QUOTE]

so are the giants and Eli taking a walk on the wild side. 2-6 baby

[/QUOTE]

pretty funny anom

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rest In Peace Lou

legend

[/QUOTE]

Lou and the Velvets were a voice that said: loneliness and desperation were normal and ok to feel and express. I am thankful for that.

[/QUOTE]

very well said

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cool story.  Not a huge fan of the material, but I can respect the impact and career in music.   Rip lou.

[/QUOTE]

agree...a fan or nit his influence and originality deserve respect

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just another overrated and untalented rock and roller. Jazz is where it's at my patriots brethren

[/QUOTE]

jazz=overblown meandering noise played by snobs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

"Sunday  Morning" 

Dude died on Sunday.

RIP

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I guess that I just don't know...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Saw him and the VU live way back in the day. Gotta be old to say that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cool story Muz thx for sharing. RIP on the Dirty Boulevard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Saw him and the VU live way back in the day. Gotta be old to say that.

[/QUOTE]

that's awesome babe

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

my buddy left his Rock & Roll Animal cassette at my house when we were in 6th grade ('79) I remember looking at the cover and thinking "what the heck is this." I didn't let him know I had it till senior year in HS. Even with just 5 songs its one of the greatest live albums ever!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Boston was probably the Velvet Underground's favorite city to play in. They were rock stars in town. Much more popular in Boston than in New York after they left Warhol. The Velvet Underground's DNA is all over alternative rock in general but in Boston even more so. The Modern Lovers and the Cars would be unthinkable without Lou Reed. 

I was active in the music scene in Boston and lived with Jonathan Richman of the Modern Lovers at 80 Green Street in Cambridge. Jonathan met Lou in 67/68 after a gig on Landsdowne Street. Jonathan told Lou he loved how the guitars sounded like drums and Lou knew right away that Jonathan had a strange perspective on music. Lou invited Jonathan to NYC to spend time with the Warhol crowd. Jonathan got there and decided the decadence was not for him. Jonathan formed the Modern Lovers just after this almost as counter-move to the depressing lyrics and lifestyle of the Velvets. Another of my friends, Willy Alexander replaced Lou in the band when Lou left the band in 70/71. Willy is still active in Boston. Myself, I wrote a few songs, managed a band, got in lots of trouble and eventually found my way out depression and finished my education and became a Psychologist and Art Writer. I met Lou once but I never really connected with him. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

[QUOTE]

I was active in the music scene in Boston and lived with Jonathan Richman of the Modern Lovers at 80 Green Street in Cambridge. Jonathan met Lou in 67/68 after a gig on Landsdowne Street. Jonathan told Lou he loved how the guitars sounded like drums and Lou knew right away that Jonathan had a strange perspective on music. Lou invited Jonathan to NYC to spend time with the Warhol crowd. Jonathan got there and decided the decadence was not for him. Jonathan formed the Modern Lovers just after this. Another of my friends, Willy Alexander replaced Lou in the band when Lou left the band in 70/71. Willy is still active in Boston. Myself, I wrote a few songs, managed a band, got in lots of trouble and eventually found my out depression and finished my education and became a Psychologist and Art Writer. I met Lou once but I never really connected with him. 

[/QUOTE]
    Very interesting, thanks for posting!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

I was active in the music scene in Boston and lived with Jonathan Richman of the Modern Lovers at 80 Green Street in Cambridge. Jonathan met Lou in 67/68 after a gig on Landsdowne Street. Jonathan told Lou he loved how the guitars sounded like drums and Lou knew right away that Jonathan had a strange perspective on music. Lou invited Jonathan to NYC to spend time with the Warhol crowd. Jonathan got there and decided the decadence was not for him. Jonathan formed the Modern Lovers just after this almost as counter-move to the depressing lyrics and lifestyle of the Velvets. Another of my friends, Willy Alexander replaced Lou in the band when Lou left the band in 70/71. Willy is still active in Boston. Myself, I wrote a few songs, managed a band, got in lots of trouble and eventually found my way out depression and finished my education and became a Psychologist and Art Writer. I met Lou once but I never really connected with him. 

[/QUOTE]

The Modern Lovers album with Pablo Picasso and Roadrunner (with Jerry Harrison and the drummer of the Cars) is probably the best album ever created by a Boston based group, even though they were apparently just demos. I actually saw a copy of the VU Squeeze album for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. I've never heard it and I wonder if it is bad as legend says.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

actually "Lewis Reed" 1942-2013, but seems he prefered "Lou"