Make or Break year for Darius Butler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Make or Break year for Darius Butler

When the 2010 season began, I thought Darius Butler would take that next step in his second year like Mike Jenkins (Dallas Cowboys CB) did in his second year back in 2009. The season was not even three weeks old and he not only gets yanked during the week two game, Butler gets benched in week 3 and pretty much was relegated to sub-packages for the rest of the season while Kyle Arrington took over and did a solid job. My thinking that Darius Butler would take the step in his second year like Mike Jenkins did was not only just off the mark, it was way off the mark. As Leigh Bodden comes back from injury, it looks like the starters going into camp are Leigh Bodden & Devin McCourty while Kyle Arrington is the #3 cornerback. For Darius Butler, its shape up or get shipped out because his margin of error is zero. So he better step his game up or he'll be gone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Make or Break year for Darius Butler

I still see him here next year even if he doesnt improve

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Unfortunately, I think Wheatley is a pretty good comparison to Butler.  Both are speed guys who appear to be too physically soft to play Defense in the NFL

In all seriousness, if Butler struggles next yr in training camp, I would consider giving him a shot at WR before completely cutting ties with him.  I know he took some snaps there at UConn

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sometimes if it looks and smells like S**t it actually is and another year just make it more smelly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I doubt the Pats will do anything in FA or via the draft to push Butler out this year. He has talent and is alwoays close to the action, but either gets beat (out of position) or gives up a penalty - both of which is not athleticism but in between the ears, so he can still improve in this area.

In 2012, they may address the issue and still have him in camp as competition and to see what they have in the FA or rookie CB they pick up.

Either way - he is better than Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson - two real 2nd rounds busts!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Make or Break year for Darius Butler:
    [QUOTE]When the 2010 season began, I thought Darius Butler would take that next step in his second year like Mike Jenkins (Dallas Cowboys CB) did in his second year back in 2009. The season was not even three weeks old and he not only gets yanked during the week two game, Butler gets benched in week 3 and pretty much was relegated to sub-packages for the rest of the season while Kyle Arrington took over and did a solid job. My thinking that Darius Butler would take the step in his second year like Mike Jenkins did was not only just off the mark, it was way off the mark. As Leigh Bodden comes back from injury, it looks like the starters going into camp are Leigh Bodden & Devin McCourty while Kyle Arrington is the #3 cornerback. For Darius Butler, its shape up or get shipped out because his margin of error is zero. So he better step his game up or he'll be gone.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]

Last year was his "make or break" year...and he broke. At this point, the best it appears that we can hope for is that he becomes a decent nickel or  dime CB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yup, he's entering Wheatley territory. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Darius Butler will never be more than a dime back and special teams player for the Pats.  I can't stand the sight of him to be honest.  Some players just don't get it! 

He reminds me of the defensive back version of Adrian Klem!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

It absolutely should be , why keep Ben Watson one more year than you have to. Or why keep taking PT away guys deserving guys like BJGE and keep playing L.M. And on and on , why keep these guys around ... who everyone knows cant play ... for the simple reason b/c we drafted them ... cutting/trading them would admit we made a mistake. I dont care Ill keep saying it ... we could have had Laurinaitis/Matthews , but traded back and took Brace/Chung/Butler ... how different would are team be if we had Matthews over the past few seasons coming across the edge. And as much as i love Spkies and think he'll be a play maker for us for many years to come. Laurinaitis has just been killing it in St. Louis. When your talking about young I/MLB , hes right up there w/ Willis/Lofton/Mayo etc...and soon to be Spikes. Butler cant cover one on one to save his life.  And in zone he still manages to let himself get behind WRs and is way to late breaking to the ball/play when its happening. He has enough skills for any decent DC to hide him in their system ... let someone else's DC hide him. Ive seen enough and dont think he'll get the PT to show if he has made these steps to get better. Bodden/DMC are going to be 1-2 , period ... no way Butler gets anythig close to starting PT. We started 5'5 Kyle Arrington over him last year and for good reason. Id be happy w/ a 3rd rd pick for him.