Mallett to Browns???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Mallett to Browns???

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Not sure about this trade or any other, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if BB is trying to find someone he could trade for picks without setting his current roster back too much. He has a number of needs to address and few picks, so a deal would seem attractive. Mallet is an obvious choice as someone who might have value but isn't necessairily a critical piece for the long or short term. Not sure who else falls in that category. Periodically I wonder about the Spikes/Mayo/Hightower group only because we only need two MLBs and that's three, but then I think BB is okay with Mayo and Hightower outside and probably doesn't want to lose any of those young guys.

Oh yes. A "number of needs". LOL

Well, depending on which of their own free agents they re-sign, they may need a corner or two, a safety, one to three wide receivers, a defensive tackle, a right tackle, and a lot of depth elsewhere. So yeah, a number of needs.

Let me tell you something:

This team will win the division next year and go deep in the postseason yet again and that's without Welker here, IMO.  They will have loads of continuity here, are 15 mil under the cap, will have FAs banging down the door to play here, will probably have another good draft and they certainly don't have a "number" of needs, more so than any other team that reflects the positives I just described.

Capiche?

This sky is falling rhetoric you and your buddies use every offseason as Brady lays another large egg in an AFC title game or SB, is getting really, really OLD.

Here are the needs:

S, maybe CB, DT/DE, OL, FB

This no worse than every other team in the NFL. It's actually incredible position for a team that just hosted an AFC title game.

This is no different than last year in terms of listing about 4 or 5 needs. You act like they aren't milliseconds away from a SB. It's so annoying when Brady makes 20 mil and underperforms and you act like it has nothing to do with him or the offense.

You will be absolutely up agaisnt the wall next year if he fails again, because BB will make good moves this offseason. It's put up or shut up time for Tom Brady.

What if Belichick is a great regular season GM, but his approach falters in the playoffs? Maybe it's not the QB who is a regular season wonder, but the GM?

Brady's salary went up x 4 in the last 3 years in a cap structure, BB's didn't. BB also doesn't play QB in an offensive era nor does he control Brady's brain or arm.

So did the GM overpay?  Based on your assessment of Brady, it seems so . . .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't think they'd do the round 1 swap deal, but Mallett for Josh Gordon would work for me. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't think they'd do the round 1 swap deal, but Mallett for Josh Gordon would work for me. 

Toss in Weeden since they wouldn't need him and I'd take that deal. Mallett for Gordon and Weeden sounds good to me. Possible franchise QB for a #2 WR and a backup QB and lets use concentrate on D exclusively in the draft sounds like a deal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

LMFAO

If BB can get the 6th overall for Mallet I will proclaim him the greatest trader in the history of the NFL, hands down!

(But if he has comprimising pics of Lombardi the deal is off)

Apparently, they'd be switching spots in the 1st rd not just swiping their 6th only like the title of the article suggests.

The title of the article suggests no such thing. McCrystal offers his opinion in the last sentence. The original quote from NFL Philosophy mentions no such reciprocal first round cost to the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't think the Browns are going to be trading the 6th pick for Mallet, even if the top ten is considered to be weak. Not going to happen. And I don't think the Browns would go for our first and Mallet either - the trade value chart wouldn't look so good for the Browns. You don't move up 20 something places in the first round and only throw is your first and essentially a 3rd round pick (what Mallet was).

Ugh. Again, you're dumb as a bag of rocks.  Cassel went for a 2nd but was a 7th rd pick.

Mallett was a PROJECTED 1st rd pick (late) before the 2010 draft and some rumors about his maturity.

Cassel had a full season as a top 10 QB under his belt (albeit that it was done during a joke schedule) when we got a 2nd rounder for him junior. Mallet has no such thing. You're the one with a bag of rocks between your ears - ROCK SCULL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Toss in Weeden since they wouldn't need him and I'd take that deal. Mallett for Gordon and Weeden sounds good to me. Possible franchise QB for a #2 WR and a backup QB and lets use concentrate on D exclusively in the draft sounds like a deal

It's done, get Lombardi and Belichick on the phone.  

Seriously, I look at Gordon as having no. 1 potential, with Demaryius Thomas type physical ability.  I don't know if they'd move him for Mallett.  If not, how about a 4th this year and a 2 next?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

This is a quarterback league and teams will overpay for QB's.  It's always been the case and always will.  If you think about it from the Browns persepective if they grade Mallett better than any of the QB's in this draft class then they probably make the deal.  If not then they draft a QB at that position.  It all depends on how they view Weedon too.  However it would be like drafting a QB.  Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or Ryan Nassib has never played a down in the NFL either.  Mallett didn't drop to the third round because of his QB skills.  He dropped because of off the field issues and maturity issues.  He's been a good citizen since being drafted.  It really all depends how the Browns staff sees the 2013 draft and if it's a weak draft to them up top then they could make the deal. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't think the Browns are going to be trading the 6th pick for Mallet, even if the top ten is considered to be weak. Not going to happen. And I don't think the Browns would go for our first and Mallet either - the trade value chart wouldn't look so good for the Browns. You don't move up 20 something places in the first round and only throw is your first and essentially a 3rd round pick (what Mallet was).

Ugh. Again, you're dumb as a bag of rocks.  Cassel went for a 2nd but was a 7th rd pick.

Mallett was a PROJECTED 1st rd pick (late) before the 2010 draft and some rumors about his maturity.

Cassel had a full season as a top 10 QB under his belt (albeit that it was done during a joke schedule) when we got a 2nd rounder for him junior. Mallet has no such thing. You're the one with a bag of rocks between your ears - ROCK SCULL.

Sorry Babe but I have to interject here. There is a huge difference between a 7th round talent and a 1st round talent. As a 7th round talent Cassel had to prove he had the ability to start. As a 1st round talent with off-field issues Mallett had to prove he could overcome those off-field issues not that he had the ability to be a starter, that's assumed with the 1st round grade. In both cases that has happened where Cassel improved his value as a proven starter to that of a late 1st talent. Mallett was a top 15 talent that year who has proved the off-field issues are no longer a concern. Trying to compare the two is like comparing apples and rocks. Teams are more willing to take a chance on higher talented players with earlier picks then players with questionable talent. That's why players like Kaepernick, Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, Luck, Rodgers are all high picks even without the pro tape because of potential talent compared to players like Cassel make it to the 7th, because he didn't have the talent coming out. Yes some players fall on their face (Sanchez) but teams are willing to take that chance on perceived talent alone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Sorry Babe but I have to interject here. There is a huge difference between a 7th round talent and a 1st round talent. As a 7th round talent Cassel had to prove he had the ability to start. As a 1st round talent with off-field issues Mallett had to prove he could overcome those off-field issues not that he had the ability to be a starter, that's assumed with the 1st round grade. In both cases that has happened where Cassel improved his value as a proven starter to that of a late 1st talent. Mallett was a top 15 talent that year who has proved the off-field issues are no longer a concern. Trying to compare the two is like comparing apples and rocks. Teams are more willing to take a chance on higher talented players with earlier picks then players with questionable talent. That's why players like Kaepernick, Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, Luck, Rodgers are all high picks even without the pro tape because of potential talent compared to players like Cassel make it to the 7th, because he didn't have the talent coming out. Yes some players fall on their face (Sanchez) but teams are willing to take that chance on perceived talent alone.

Actual play on an NFL field for a whole season trumps "perceived draft value" every time.

Cassel was a 7th rounder because he was in the same position in college that Mallet is in the pros - No on field time to speak of.

The NFL draft is littered with the corpses of hot shot QBs with talent who stunk up the NFL field. Really, Cassel and Mallet are an apples and oranges comparison.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The only way we were going to get any big value for Mallet is a scenario like this, where some connected to BB guy scratches an itch they had going back a few years. Here's hoping the itch is unbearable for Lombardi. Hopefully, he is going to pull a "Pioli" here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The point of the original 'rumor' is:

1. This is a crap year for QB and as always there are a quarter of the teams out there desperate for a QB solution.

2. There is a derth of quality back-ups available as possible starters: Smith, Flynn, and then you are into retreading aging has beens.

3. Mallet was seen as one of the most talented QBs in his draft - first round talent, but he got whacked by his 40 time and a lot of rumors about 'character issues'.

4. There has been no bad press for Mallet in the two years since, and in terms of 'habits' he has earned a lot of practice player awards from the Pats.

5. He has been trained by BB and Tom, and in the 'patriots way'.

On the negative side he has no pro experience to speak of, but then neither do any of the prospects in the draft, and while he slipped to the 3rd round, his talent evaluation was better than any of the QBs in this draft.

And you only have to look at Wilson and Kapernick to see how falible draft position is for QBs.

So ... is a trade of #29 and Mallet for #6 likely - probably not, as it is a boom or bust proposition and if it is a bust, a pink slip would follow. But valuing Mallet as a first round pick is not crazy. Heck, by the time the draft roles around I will not be surprised to see three or four QBs drafted in round 1 and will be surprised if more than one is any good.

And I am sure no one would give up a first rounder for Ponder, Locker, or Wheeden but their teams all did.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Actual play on an NFL field for a whole season trumps "perceived draft value" every time.

Cassel was a 7th rounder because he was in the same position in college that Mallet is in the pros - No on field time to speak of.

The NFL draft is littered with the corpses of hot shot QBs with talent who stunk up the NFL field. Really, Cassel and Mallet are an apples and oranges comparison.

So pre-12' you'd rather have Sanchez over Luck? One is perceived talent while the other was an actual NFL starter. Sanchez even made it to the AFCCG after all. There's a reason mediocre starting NFL QB's get replaced by perceived talent all the time because what the pontential could be is higher then what the actual value they currently have. Looking at Cassel and really breaking down that year was Cassel anything special? Taking it a step further why did Seattle give Flynn a great deal without a full season or why did Ari trade for Kolb without a full season. Teams take chances on potential over actual performance all the time. Cassel wasn't exactly a top 10 QB that year on the Pats. Top 20 yep under the right scheme but not a top 10 by any means so KC was trading for a middle of the road QB who might have hit his talent ceiling in NE. Mallett might never be anything but he had top 15 talent in that draft which to some teams makes him more valuable than Cassel after that single year because his potential is higher. Think of it like horse betting. You could toss you money on a horse that gets top three 3 out of 5 times but the pay off is much less or if you are desperate and need a bigger pay off you could put your money on a faster looking horse with less of a track record but more of a pay out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Babe is spot on here.  I think you other guys are experiencing wishful thinking.  On field play is about the only thing that matters.  Cassell had that which is why he was as valuable as he was. 

Granted Mallett's situation is a bit unique because his talent was projected higher than actual draft position, and because the guy in front of him is Tom Brady. 

Regardless, the guy has little on field play to prove that he is worth anything better than his draft position.  If he was a sure-fire guy, he never would have dropped to the 3rd.  I've never understood why people blind themselves to facts like this and a little logical reasoning.  Why, do you think, anyone would pay more for a player than his draft position when his play or lack thereof has provided no reason to do so?  

Further, how many first round QB's turn out to be busts or marginal players?  Plenty.  Since 2000, these QB's were 1st rd picks:

Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Losman, Campbell, Young, Leinert, Russell, Quinn, Sanchez, Tebow, Gabbert. 

Would anyone say that they performed to their draft position?  So, why now, would anyone think Mallett, without a resume would perform well beyond his?

One can argue talent all day, but talent and performance are 2 different things.  Regardless of talent, Mallett was drafted in the 3rd, and he has yet to prove that he is better than that.  Any GM worth his salt would not begin discussions with the patriots without this reality being agreed upon. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

So pre-12' you'd rather have Sanchez over Luck? One is perceived talent while the other was an actual NFL starter. Sanchez even made it to the AFCCG after all. There's a reason mediocre starting NFL QB's get replaced by perceived talent all the time because what the pontential could be is higher then what the actual value they currently have. Looking at Cassel and really breaking down that year was Cassel anything special? Taking it a step further why did Seattle give Flynn a great deal without a full season or why did Ari trade for Kolb without a full season. Teams take chances on potential over actual performance all the time. Cassel wasn't exactly a top 10 QB that year on the Pats. Top 20 yep under the right scheme but not a top 10 by any means so KC was trading for a middle of the road QB who might have hit his talent ceiling in NE. Mallett might never be anything but he had top 15 talent in that draft which to some teams makes him more valuable than Cassel after that single year because his potential is higher. Think of it like horse betting. You could toss you money on a horse that gets top three 3 out of 5 times but the pay off is much less or if you are desperate and need a bigger pay off you could put your money on a faster looking horse with less of a track record but more of a pay out.

[/QUOTE]

Matt Flynn - in his last 2 years in GB played some and completed more than 60% of his passes.  In his last year in GB his passer rating was over 100.  Mallett has a 25% completion rate on 4 passes and a passer rating of 5. 

Further, Flynn was a free agent - no additional compensation (draft picks) needed to be given to another team.  In fact, Flynn is an instructive case study.  Does anyone think he's got a future in Seattle as a starter?

Kevin Kolb played significantly for Philadelphia.  In his last 2 years he completed more than 60% of his passes.  Kolb was actually a 2nd rd pick, better than Mallett.  But the impetus to make a trade for him was that they had tape on him.  The tape on Mallett is 1 for 4 and a 5 passer rating.

Look I could be proven wrong.  I am not a GM, but as a fan, giving up 2 picks including a first rounder for Mallett seems ridiculous. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Comparing Sanchez on the field with the Cassel of 2008 is not much of a comparison.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Babe is spot on here.  I think you other guys are experiencing wishful thinking.  On field play is about the only thing that matters.  Cassell had that which is why he was as valuable as he was. 

Granted Mallett's situation is a bit unique because his talent was projected higher than actual draft position, and because the guy in front of him is Tom Brady. 

Regardless, the guy has little on field play to prove that he is worth anything better than his draft position.  If he was a sure-fire guy, he never would have dropped to the 3rd.  I've never understood why people blind themselves to facts like this and a little logical reasoning.  Why, do you think, anyone would pay more for a player than his draft position when his play or lack thereof has provided no reason to do so?  

Further, how many first round QB's turn out to be busts or marginal players?  Plenty.  Since 2000, these QB's were 1st rd picks:

Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Losman, Campbell, Young, Leinert, Russell, Quinn, Sanchez, Tebow, Gabbert. 

Would anyone say that they performed to their draft position?  So, why now, would anyone think Mallett, without a resume would perform well beyond his?

One can argue talent all day, but talent and performance are 2 different things.  Regardless of talent, Mallett was drafted in the 3rd, and he has yet to prove that he is better than that.  Any GM worth his salt would not begin discussions with the patriots without this reality being agreed upon. 

Cassel was a 7th rd pick and then started in his 4th year.

Mallett was a 1st rd pick talent and is now entering his 3rd year.    What is it that you don't get about a 7th rd pick and a guy whose only flaw was rumored "maturity" issues which caused him to drop to the 3rd?

He gets trained by Brady, almost daily and this holds no value to a GM out there? Are you insane? 

Would you rather have Barkley, Smith or Mallett as a "rookie" QB in 2013?  It's very clear what the right answer is. Cost, talent level, projection in 2013 would all favor the choice of Mallett in that situation.

You like to side with out board Irrationals because you are a Troll so it's covenient for you to do that. When I bludgeoned you back on Page 1, this thread should have been over.

Please learn facts and realities.

No one is guaranteeing this, but it is beyond clear that this is on the table at this point a distinct possibility, final compensation not withstanding.

Matt Barkley and Geno Smith are the two worst prospects to come out in a draft in years. VERY thin QB crop.  Alex Smith costs far more than Mallett and Lombardi REALLY likes Mallett.

Note how the Trolls and our Irrationals who hate BB have all chimed in to downplay this possibility, while the educated fans here see the logic and acknwoledge the BB/Lombardi connection and it being a win/win for both.

[/QUOTE]

Brady was a 6th round pick that has 2 MVP's.  What's your point? 

I don't know how much more clear I can be.  Cassel played and succeeded, Mallett hasn't so the professional book on him doesn't exist. 

Regardless of the reasons for Mallett's drop, he dropped.  Just because he hasn't shown up on a police report doesn't mean he has matured.  He is currently buried because he's behind Brady. 

As for the question regarding Barkley Smith or Mallett.  If I am Cleveland I just might continue to give Weeden a chance.  Further, the thing about Barkley and Smith is that they've played for the past 2 years.  We don't know what Mallett's done for the past 2 years do we?  Sure he's studied under Brady, but is he any good?

This has nothing to do with hating Belichick.  This has to do with negotiation.  Unfortunately, you've got this idea that the NFL exists at Belichick's pleasure. 

I may be wrong, but I remember people talking about the pats getting substantial compensation for Hoyer.  Didn't they just release him for nothing?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

How is it "ridiculous" if RG3 was taken 2nd overall in the 2012 draft and the Skins mortgaged their entire next 3 drafts just to get a guy who just destroyed his leg?  Compared to that, Mallett would be an absolute bargain, especially if you're like me who feels the run based QBs like RG3, Kaepernick, etc, will eventually be hurt more often than not like Mike Vick.

Is it "ridiculous" to use a top 10 pick on Barkley or Geno Smith? No, it's not if a team who needs a QB prospect in a QB league likes one of those QBs.  Lombardi likes Mallett. Duh.

Some of you here, mostly the trolls and irrationals who don't see how brilliant BB is/don't want to give him credit for anything due to jealousy and unhealthy following of the anti-BB media, have the worst time understanding the concept of a market.

It's unreal. You're so dumb I cannot even believe you're adults.

I'd imagine they didn't plan for his leg destruction but they did plan for his possible OROY. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Cassel was a 7th rd pick and then started in his 4th year.

Mallett was a 1st rd pick talent and is now entering his 3rd year.    What is it that you don't get about a 7th rd pick and a guy whose only flaw was rumored "maturity" issues which caused him to drop to the 3rd?

He gets trained by Brady, almost daily and this holds no value to a GM out there? Are you insane? 

Would you rather have Barkley, Smith or Mallett as a "rookie" QB in 2013?  It's very clear what the right answer is. Cost, talent level, projection in 2013 would all favor the choice of Mallett in that situation.

You like to side with out board Irrationals because you are a Troll so it's covenient for you to do that. When I bludgeoned you back on Page 1, this thread should have been over.

Please learn facts and realities.

No one is guaranteeing this, but it is beyond clear that this is on the table at this point a distinct possibility, final compensation not withstanding.

Matt Barkley and Geno Smith are the two worst prospects to come out in a draft in years. VERY thin QB crop.  Alex Smith costs far more than Mallett and Lombardi REALLY likes Mallett.

Note how the Trolls and our Irrationals who hate BB have all chimed in to downplay this possibility, while the educated fans here see the logic and acknwoledge the BB/Lombardi connection and it being a win/win for both.

Good one Rusty! Not only is Mallett training with Brady but learning a tough system as well - hurry up. Lombardi is no dope and knows that Mallett fits a great profile, height, weight, rocket arm. The Cleveland fanbase needs a good shot of hope. Malletts money fits perfect  and The Pats might take a top of 2nd rd for him. That could be worked out beforehand if the player is there. Belichick already knows if Mallett is the successor to TB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[qoute/]

Comparing Sanchez on the field with the Cassel of 2008 is not much of a comparison.

Babe you said on field trumps potential "every" time. Well Sanchez would be part of that every time wouldn't it?

[/quote]

But you are right switch out Sanchez for Carson Palmer. Palmer put up similar numbers this year to Cassel 08'. Or if you are looking for some younger Andy Dalton. Yep, Cassel really showed he could be a Franchise QB with numbers like those why would anyone ever look to improve on that...

Sorry Babe, but every team and their grandmother would take a chance on a high potential player then Palmer everyday. That's why teams trade up in the draft for QB's instead of trading for known mediocre talents. Well, unless you are Oak or KC and how well did that turn out for them?

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.