Mankins won't play for two weeks...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Mankins won't play for two weeks...

...just read that NE has a roster exemption for him until Nov 15th. That means he has two weeks to get into game shape.

When he comes back, they need to remove someone to make a space for him. That would miss the big game in Pittsburgh, but would be in time for the game at home against the Colts with a week of full practice...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Re: Mankins won't play for two weeks...

I gotta tell ya, his standards/morals/beliefs or whatever other reason he held out for are about 35 million times better than mine. Everything he went through to date......was it worth it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't know Sam.

But if I were Mankins ... I would be thinking the same thing. He could have just played the season under his tender, he could have signed the contract. 

Now he has missed time. Now he will go into a potential lock-out with no security afterward.

I am sure the players would love to have him back. They understand that in a business you make the decisions you think are best.... but I think he must be thinking about rethinking how he thought that one through.

He lost (a lot) of money and proved a point that has been proven time and again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

He's dumb for listening to his agent or his agent not being honest with him enough to convince him.  Honestly, I hope he doesn't play unless Connolly gets hurt or craps the bad at LG.

The guy turned down 35 million dollars because the contract didn't come before Jahari Evans's deal.  

I hope they have him on lithium and whatever meds he needs to control his bi-olar disorder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Mankins standards/morals/beliefs seem to be pretty one sided.  He says he wasn't offered a contract and then later we find out he was and for how much.  I fail to see what moral ground he was coming from then. 

His holding out though is most bizarre.  It seems Mankin's agent would have advised against it with the lock out coming.  Plus I can't help but feel he will lose some ground on that contract he wants.  He's going to have to play lights out football.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Mankins won't play for two weeks...:
    [QUOTE]He's dumb for listening to his agent or his agent not being honest with him enough to convince him.  Honestly, I hope he doesn't play unless Connolly gets hurt or craps the bad at LG. The guy turned down 35 million dollars because the contract didn't come before Jahari Evans's deal.   I hope they have him on lithium and whatever meds he needs to control his bi-olar disorder.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

If your agent gets paid based on a percentage of the contract what do you expect? It's no different from a real estate agent telling you that your house is worth 50 grand more than it really is or a stock broker telling you this stock is great when they both get paid a percentage of the sale.  You have to take what they say with a grain of salt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Evil.
    I don't think he gets that kind of money out in the free market.  That may be what BBReigns is getting at in a round about way.  The appearance is that Mankins lost on every decision he's made.  It doesn't make sense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Exactly.  The agent needs to know the market. Christ, some of us know the  market better.

This is not the environment to be turning down guaranteed top 3 money at Guard:

1. Yuu play on the Pats.
    2. You are a Guard.
    3. Worst economy in 70-80 years.
    4. Possible Lockout.

He should have been beyond giddy, but instead he concocts some sort of Little HOuse on the Prairie based, handshake reasoning as to why it wasn't a good enough deal.

His agent should have drugged him and made him sign it.  That's how stupid this was for Logie.

He'll never see anything remotely close to 7 mil per elsewhere.

Anyone notice all these teams blowing up?  A lot of it has to do with forced chemistry and knee jerk moves to make a killing before a possible lockout.

That's why you saw a lot of desperation the last 2-3 seasons leading into this one.

Not a coincidence.  From Logie's perspective, he plays for BB and with Brady and he turns that down??

What on earth?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE] . . .  but I think he must be thinking about rethinking how he thought that one through.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

The hope that I might stumble across a gem like this one is what keeps me weeding through the seemingly endless stream of juvenile nonsense that tends to permeate this forum.

(and yes . . .   I am aware that I create a lot of that juvenile nonsense)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

It is possible that Mantkins could play vs. Pitts.  It all depends on what type of shape he is in.  If he is ready to go by then, the Pats would just need to release someone to get to the 53.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

I don't see how Mankins can win now.  Even if he goes on to free agency and signs a contract for 6 million more then the Pats offered him he would be right back where the Pats contract was.  He lost this year's huge pay day and instead is playing for his unrestricted free agent salary.  He lost out on the millions that signing a contract this year would have awarded him.  Also, as many pointed out, if there is a lock out then he misses out on another seven million or so.  Don't see how he can come out ahead.  He needs to sign a monster contract in free agency to make more then what the Pats were offering but the risk of a lock out and the risk of injury with no long term deal outweighs an extra 5 million over the next 4 or so years.  At least in my mind the risk/reward wouldn't be worth it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

In Response to Mankins won't play for two weeks...:
    [QUOTE]...just read that NE has a roster exemption for him until Nov 15th. That means he has two weeks to get into game shape. When he comes back, they need to remove someone to make a space for him. That would miss the big game in Pittsburgh, but would be in time for the game at home against the Colts with a week of full practice...

I believe your incorrect on your understanding of the roster process, from everything i have heard logan is available to come back as soon as this weekend if ready

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

You are correct.  He can play this weekend.

Now that Pro Bowl offensive guard Logan Mankins has officially rejoined the New England Patriots, the team was granted a roster exemption by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.The roster exemption runs through Nov. 15.However, the Patriots can activate Mankins at any time before that date.Mankins has been embroiled in a bitter contract dispute with the organization and had previously refused to sign his restricted free agent tender...

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/news/nfl/462226/patriots_granted_roster_exemption_for_logan_mankins

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Logan Mankins is a top 2 Gaurd in football why wouldnt we want him starting?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Yeah your looking at the roster exemption wrong bro. Its that the Pats dont have to cut another player to keep Mankins so they can keep 54 players on the roster for 2 weeks starting this week.

Mankins can play whenever and I wouldnt be shocked if Bill did a rotation like he did last year with Kaczur/Sea Bass/Light and then just started Mankins 100%

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Mankins will play this weekend against the Browns. He needs to see some game speed before Pitt or at least before the Colts. He was always in Boston and hung out with the players. I bet he's in pretty good shape considering. He even said he's been thru a lot of offseasons and treated this one the same. I bet they rotate him in and out this weekend and next weekend. Start him against the Colts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ummmm. When did I say he couldn't start??? 

I said he wouldn't start. Big difference.

Of course they can bring him in whenever they want. Yet the fact that they have a two week exemption leads me to believe he won't play for two weeks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think Mankins plays this Sunday, he won't start, but I think he will get in for a few series. He is a veteran and knows what he needs to do to prepare himself. He would be foolish to come back out of shape when he is playing for a new contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mankins's agent understands that starting next spring, Mankins's body is worth maybe $500,000 per game played.  An NFL player only gets to play a limited number of games at a high level before he randomly gets either one critical hit or several cumulative hits.  The NFL, in the person of the Patriots who hold the paperwork, is offering to pay $100,000 a game for Mankins's body this year.

Given these numbers, if Mankins's body can have eleven fewer games at the $100,000 level and get straight to the $500,000 per game big contract, and if Mankins's agent gets a percentage of all this, then the agent will choose to sit Mankins's body (at any reasonable price) for four preseason games and for seven regular season games.  Mankins's brain, which is in this for a nice living, agrees with his agent.  Ka-ching!

Now, the Patriots have the option of getting an extra game asap out of Mankins for the same $100,000 that they're paying him anyways to show up and lift barbells.  Mankins is a $500,000 bargain next week, or at least he's better than the 53rd man on the roster.  I'll guess for argumentative purposes, say, that defensive lineman Love gets the axe.  Will the coaching staff really miss him, compared to putting Mankins on the line and plowing 6 foot wide holes for Benny Esq.?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know Sam. But if I were Mankins ... I would be thinking the same thing. He could have just played the season under his tender, he could have signed the contract.  Now he has missed time. Now he will go into a potential lock-out with no security afterward. I am sure the players would love to have him back. They understand that in a business you make the decisions you think are best.... but I think he must be thinking about rethinking how he thought that one through. He lost (a lot) of money and proved a point that has been proven time and again.

Although he got what he wanted - which is unrestricted free agency. If they play next year, he will be rewarded financially.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He would have had that if he signed the franchise tender anyhow.

Not if he signed the contract.

I would have just taken the tag. NE won't slap it twice, it would be insane to pay that much for one year from a guard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I never did understand what the disconnect was between Mankins and the team.  There appeared to be some media distortion of what happened, but what else is new?

With respect to the specific issue, he may see some playing time this weekend but I really would be surprised.  In shape is one thing, in game shape is quite another.

Regardless, great to have him back with the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

None of us knows the details of the contract Mankins was offered so whether his choice not to sign it was a good or bad one isn't clear.  As far as signing the $3+ million one-year tender, he took a gamble in not signing it, hoping the Pats would come to the table with a better long-term contract if he didn't sign, but the Pats called his bluff.  Unfortunately for the player, though, the collective bargaining agreement doesn't give him many options when he's a restricted free agent. The collective bargaining agreement puts restricted free agents in a pretty weak bargaining position because they can't go off and negotiate freely with other teams. Personally, I don't like the restricted rule.  I think when a guy's contract is up (as Mankins' was after the end of the season), he should be able to negotiate with anyone.  Putting all sorts of restrictions on who a guy who is not under contract can negotiate with seems anti-competitive to me and bound to create bad blood.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]Mankins's agent understands that starting next spring, Mankins's body is worth maybe $500,000 per game played.  An NFL player only gets to play a limited number of games at a high level before he randomly gets either one critical hit or several cumulative hits.  The NFL, in the person of the Patriots who hold the paperwork, is offering to pay $100,000 a game for Mankins's body this year. Given these numbers, if Mankins's body can have eleven fewer games at the $100,000 level and get straight to the $500,000 per game big contract, and if Mankins's agent gets a percentage of all this, then the agent will choose to sit Mankins's body (at any reasonable price) for four preseason games and for seven regular season games.  Mankins's brain, which is in this for a nice living, agrees with his agent.  Ka-ching! Now, the Patriots have the option of getting an extra game asap out of Mankins for the same $100,000 that they're paying him anyways to show up and lift barbells.  Mankins is a $500,000 bargain next week, or at least he's better than the 53rd man on the roster.  I'll guess for argumentative purposes, say, that defensive lineman Love gets the axe.  Will the coaching staff really miss him, compared to putting Mankins on the line and plowing 6 foot wide holes for Benny Esq.?
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Sounds reasonable. But the question then is why did he report earlier than he had to? The reason to that question might reflect a deal Mankins and his agent are expecting to close with the Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

If the Pats run a 2 minute drill I wonder if he will be pulled for fear that he isn't in good enough cardiovascular condition to keep up?