Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld

On Mario

I went back to watch three Mario Williams games to see if it made any sense for the Texans to give him a big deal despite their 3-4 defense.

My sense is that he fits Wade Phillips’ scheme just fine. But he’s still not worth it for Houston.

Williams split snaps evenly with his hand down and standing up. He rarely dropped into coverage. (I counted four times in 2.5 games.) He is always on the line of scrimmage; so calling him a linebacker seems silly.

Williams is valuable because he can line up on either side of the defense and he often draws double teams. But in the games he played last year, Williams was no bigger difference-maker than J.J. WattConnor Barwin, or evenAntonio Smith.

Charley Casserly’s prized pick beat Dallas Clark of the Colts for two sacks and Steelers rookie Marcus Gilbert for two more. (One of those Gilbert did a nice job but Big Ben ran into the sack.)  Williams also disappeared against the Saints and for a long stretch against Pittsburgh. (Although Mario had a huge second half against the Steelers.) Williams can be attacked in the running game.

Seattle would be my prediction for where Williams ends up. It makes more sense for him to have his hand on the ground most plays. Houston is a team defense with a lot of working parts.  They don’t need Williams. Williams stands out physically, but he’s just one key piece to the puzzle there.  He doesn’t show up every game.

Williams has racked up sack totals over the years, but I’m not convinced he’s the every-down difference maker that he should be considering he’s likely to become the game’s highest paid defensive player. This isn’t Reggie White or even Julius Peppers in his prime.

He may not be a top-five defensive end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe hes not even worth a patriots  "bargain" 4 year, 60 mil?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

Re: Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld

I think it's foolish to think you can properly evaluate a DE from watching game film from a television broadcast. All after watching three games, no less.

And "disappeared"? Did he disappear like Richard Seymour when he took plays off and laid down on the field his last couple of years here. Or did he "disappear" while he was eating up blockers. Or, oh my gosh, getting beaten. Believe it or not the other guys get paid to play too. And sometimes they make plays also. Even against Reggie White and Julius Peppers. And wasn't that rub on Julius when he became a free agent- that he didn't give 100% and disappeared for stretches of games? Now Mario Williams isn't in Julius Peppers league because he disappears in games. What?!! This guy is a moron. And what's it matter who the sack was against. How many TEs he beat? How many tight ends did the stiffs (not named Carter) for New England beat? Not many. You can only play the guy lined up in front of you. If some team was dumb enough to think they could get away with blocking him with a TE, how is that his fault?

Mario Williams is a game changing DE. No matter what some dork says. Of course we've been hearing this disrespect for years. Remember when everyone thought Houston was crazy to pick him ahead of Reggie Bush? For those of you that don't remember, that's right, I said Reggie Bush. There were people that thought Reggie Bush should the number one pick in the draft and would be a better pro player than Mario Williams. Reggie freakn Bush. A marginal third down back.

Of course if Qbs would stop running into sacks, that lucky Mario Williams would have zero stats. Stupid QBs. What are they thinking?

Give me a break.

P.S. I went back and read two Greg Rosenthall articles and I have determined that he sometimes ignores facts that don't support his position and takes  paragraphs and even entire articles off.

I can't really prove that. But it's my opinion. One that I am qualified to hold because I read two of his colums. Actually, I read the same one twice. But that's close enough

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld

Don't be posting inconvenient truths around here!

To me, he's been good, but he SHOULD be great. This guy has all the tools and size of Suh, but not even half of the ferocity and desire.

When he plays, he is a difference maker. If someone can get him motivated, maybe a new team will do that just by virtue of being a new team. It's quite a big risk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld:
    [QUOTE]I think it's foolish to think you can properly evaluate a DE from watching game film from a television broadcast. All after watching three games, no less. And "disappeared"? Did he disappear like Richard Seymour when he took plays off and laid down on the field his last couple of years here. Or did he "disappear" while he was eating up blockers. Or, oh my gosh, getting beaten. Believe it or not the other guys get paid to play too. And sometimes they make plays also. Even against Reggie White and Julius Peppers. And wasn't that rub on Julius when he became a free agent- that he didn't give 100% and disappeared for stretches of games? Now Mario Williams isn't in Julius Peppers league because he disappears in games. What?!! This guy is a moron. And what's it matter who the sack was against. How many TEs he beat? How many tight ends did the stiffs (not named Carter) for New England beat? Not many. You can only play the guy lined up in front of you. If some team was dumb enough to think they could get away with blocking him with a TE, how is that his fault? Mario Williams is a game changing DE. No matter what some dork says. Of course we've been hearing this disrespect for years. Remember when everyone thought Houston was crazy to pick him ahead of Reggie Bush? For those of you that don't remember, that's right, I said Reggie Bush. There were people that thought Reggie Bush should the number one pick in the draft and would be a better pro player than Mario Williams. Reggie freakn Bush. A marginal third down back. Of course if Qbs would stop running into sacks, that lucky Mario Williams would have zero stats. Stupid QBs. What are they thinking? Give me a break. P.S. I went back and read two Greg Rosenthall articles and I have determined that he sometimes ignores facts that don't support his position and takes  paragraphs and even entire articles off. I can't really prove that. But it's my opinion. One that I am qualified to hold because I read two of his colums. Actually, I read the same one twice. But that's kind of the same thing.
    Posted by df5[/QUOTE]

Though I disagree with some of what you said, that was hilarious. Your point is not lost, but it's a valid concern. The guy may be a hack, but he's not neccessarily wrong in this case. There's a reason Houston didn't consider bringing back a 27 year old DE, when DEs are a premium in the NFL...and all that after spending a 1st overall, and a lot of cash on him. They were willing to walk away, that speaks volumes. They decided to pay a RB, when they are very deep at RB, rather than a DE. Very curious.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Double digit sacks nearly every season are not the result of luck. 

The guy is in the McGinest mold, outside linebacker with defensive end size, yet tall enough to cast a shadow over a QB trying to make a play downfield. We need one guy outside of Wilfork that demands a double team, draft another space eating D tackle inside and we'll crush the pocket with ease.

At a reasonable price we'd be dumber than Greg Rosenthal not to sign him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld : Though I disagree with some of what you said, that was hilarious. Your point is not lost, but it's a valid concern. The guy may be a hack, but he's not neccessarily wrong in this case. There's a reason Houston didn't consider bringing back a 27 year old DE, when DEs are a premium in the NFL...and all that after spending a 1st overall, and a lot of cash on him. They were willing to walk away, that speaks volumes. They decided to pay a RB, when they are very deep at RB, rather than a DE. Very curious.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    Houston didn't resign him because they were hard up against the cap and had Foster as a bigger priority plus they had other pieces on their DL and at OLB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In six years with the Texans he was never a "game changer" until Phillips, Watt, Barwin, Reed, et al came along. Just saying.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think guys like this don't always flash big plays on the screen, but the fact that he is doubled on both sides of the line tell you something about his talent. We have one guy that gets doubled (wilfork), it'd be nice to have another guy that could draw some attention like Seymore used to for us...it opens things up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mario Williams is not the player you think he i: greg rosenthal in rotoworld : Though I disagree with some of what you said, that was hilarious. Your point is not lost, but it's a valid concern. The guy may be a hack, but he's not neccessarily wrong in this case. There's a reason Houston didn't consider bringing back a 27 year old DE, when DEs are a premium in the NFL...and all that after spending a 1st overall, and a lot of cash on him. They were willing to walk away, that speaks volumes. They decided to pay a RB, when they are very deep at RB, rather than a DE. Very curious.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Thanks for presenting the other side of the story.
    I've been seeing nothing but puff pieces about this guy and I haven't seen him play enough to have formed my own opinion.
    Everyone seems to forget that seymour was moved because he took so many plays off after he signed the big contract. He was nothing more than a expensive bum IMO. The fact that he had good years in Oakland only proves to me that he was dogging it here after the big contract.
    My point is that for the kind of money williams will command, he has to be a 100% guy 100% of the time to even come close to making him a worthwhile investment. 
    Now, I'm not so sure he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]I think guys like this don't always flash big plays on the screen, but the fact that he is doubled on both sides of the line tell you something about his talent. We have one guy that gets doubled (wilfork), it'd be nice to have another guy that could draw some attention like Seymore used to for us...it opens things up.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Bring him in and watch Anderson or Carter get 15 sacks if they wanna double Vince and Mario......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Belicheck has decided against Williams now and is so thankful Rosenthal has saved the Patriots franchise from making such a huge mistake

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

we'll see if bb agrees with you. i think bb will not go that way.
    i do hope he gets us 3-4 upgrades beside our resigns in fa.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The guy is a big-time talent. The question is whether he is $14+ mil talent. Unless I knew I was getting a bargain price I wouldn't go for it.