Mark Sanchez vs. NE Backup QB's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

I was impressed tonight, and yes I know it was only preseason, but I turned off the TV thinking about Mark Sanchez. I am honestly not sure that he would make our team as a 3rd, and if mallet had another year to develop...

Anyway, that is my opinion, but I am not too sure it is that far off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Mark Sanchez vs. NE Backup QB's

Wow, nice thread...never even thought of that. It's tough to tell based off of meaningless pre season action in which a lot of guys aren't in shape yet, but they both look good. I couldn't believe some of the passes Mallet was putting out there tonight, very few could of made some of those throws as a rookie...certainly not Sanchez.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Mallet looks like hes back in Arkansas

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

2nd team defense is not a good measure but both of the Patriots QB's looked impressive and had excellent QB ratings Hoyer checked in with 111.3 and Mallet only performed too a 108.6 passer rating.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Hoyer is certainlly the man against 2nd string defenses but then my grandmother probably would have had a good game against the Jacksonville 2nd string team. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I will say Hoyer has grown since last year. He looked decisive, and more poised in the pocket. Mallett I think has great potential. he's accurate and throws with wicked velocity. Huge arm. Possibly the QB steal of the draft.

Would I rate them ahead of Sanchez right now? probably not. Sanchez is a somewhat "proven" NFL QB now. As young as he is, and as good as his D is, he still managed to get the Jets to 2 AFC championship games, and won some games for the Jets last year. Don't confuse me with a Jets fan, because that I am not. For me, 1 preseason game does not compare to 32+ NFL games, AFC title games, and playoff games.
    I will say that of Sanchez, Hoyer and Mallett, I think Mallett has the biggest upside and potential of the 3. If he can buckle down and be a good pupil, this kid could be scary in 2 years or so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think the second team offensive line played better this year

As I remember, Hoyer spent last preseason running for his life

But yes, I would take either of the two over Sanchez.  Sanchez has a ton of time with his offensive line in front of him, but still manages to miss open receivers.  As Hoyer and Mallett demonstrated, given time they can hit open receivers at a clip higher than 55%

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Well, we know Sanchez sucks. But we don't know either way about our backups.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

Thanks guys, I guess my point was that both of the QB's looked as good as sanchez has. Remember that unlike any other player, QB play will elevate with better players around them. Better WR's, Better RB's, Better TE's, Better O-Line, etc. Our backups looked as good as he does with only 2nd stringers around to help highlight their play. We watch sanchez surrounded by the Jets 1st stringers. One game for each isnt enough to make a long term projection, but you could see it was clicking.

I guess that is what is frustrating about the JETS the last few years, Sanchez isnt that good IMO, we have just not played to potential. And Rex's D... arg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Given Hoyer vs Sanchez I'd take Hoyer truthfully. I love game managers and Hoyer is a great game manager, Sanchez is alright but not to Hoyers level. Hoyer also is more accurate (not saying much) and reads defenses better but Sanchez does have the stronger arm.

Mallett, it's to early to tell. That one I would go with Sanchez at this point but that will change. Mallett has a much better arm but he's also a gun slinger who looked like he was trying to over power every throw. He has a ton of potential but he needs to put a little more touch on some of his passes (which will come with time and experience) and I'm still not sure if he can read defenses quick enough. He seemed to be a bit slow going through his reads but much like the touch aspect, with time and experience it should improve. Just to early for me to put Mallett above Sanchez at this point but given a season he has the potential to surpass him by next pre-season. At this point Mallett looks a lot like Bledsoe honestly. Very strong arm gun slinger that takes time to go through some of his reads, locks on targets from time to time, and over powers throws. The good thing is those are common problems with strong armed QB's coming out of college so, if he's willing to work and learn from Brady I don't see any of those issues being a problem. Nice bargain for a 3rd

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Wait... I heard somewhere the Jets are winning the Super Bowl this year with Sanchez. Are you sure you would take either of these guys over a proven, Super Bowl winnging QB???

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Sanchez has an advantage when comparing the same players head-to-head, as the Pats need to overcome that 1985 Bears-like defense.  I mean..what team stands a chance against his shuffling crew?  Just give those jet-Bears the championship that they have proverbially earned and be done with it; take the rest of the season off!  (The loudest team wins.)  Hahaha.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I was surprised to see how Mallett was moving around in the pocket. Mallett would've been a higher draft choice if he didn't attitude prolems in school. Mallett originally was with michigan before he went to Arkansas. He does have a gun for an arm. I do believe he will be Brady's successor one day.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Sanchez vs. NE Backup QB's:
    [QUOTE]I will say Hoyer has grown since last year. He looked decisive, and more poised in the pocket. Mallett I think has great potential. he's accurate and throws with wicked velocity. Huge arm. Possibly the QB steal of the draft. Would I rate them ahead of Sanchez right now? probably not. Sanchez is a somewhat "proven" NFL QB now. As young as he is, and as good as his D is, he still managed to get the Jets to 2 AFC championship games, and won some games for the Jets last year. Don't confuse me with a Jets fan, because that I am not. For me, 1 preseason game does not compare to 32+ NFL games, AFC title games, and playoff games. I will say that of Sanchez, Hoyer and Mallett, I think Mallett has the biggest upside and potential of the 3. If he can buckle down and be a good pupil, this kid could be scary in 2 years or so.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Sanchez rated dead last in AFC Qb's last year.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]I was surprised to see how Mallett was moving around in the pocket. Mallett would've been a higher draft choice if he didn't attitude prolems in school. Mallett originally was with michigan before he went to Arkansas. He does have a gun for an arm. I do believe he will be Brady's successor one day.
    Posted by ANONMD08[/QUOTE]

Consider that Mallett's perceived "attitude problems" are what make him the competitor he is.  Personally, I wonder about these attitude experts..got their own life straightened out do they?  If the Pareto Law applies- it does -then 4 out of 5 are not worth listening to.  Perhaps, they should check themselves whilst our boy, Ryan, rips it up on the gridiron?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark Sanchez vs. NE Backup QB's : Sanchez rated dead last in AFC Qb's last year.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

I realize that, however, he is a starting QB with game and playoff experience. And, he is still young. Just to clarify, I'm not a Yets nor Sancheeze fan, but the question was, "Sancheeze vs our backups". Sancheeze although ranked low, is battle tested. Our backups, not ranked because they don't start, are not battle tested but for 1 preseason game.
    If you want to use last nights game as a measuring stick against Sancheeze's 32+ games to date, I would say our backups look more poised, and probably have better decision making ability, Mallett a bigger arm, etc. I still don't know exactly how this translates into defenses that mix it up, mix coverages, looks, blitz, etc. and how Mallett/Hoyer will perform.
    Hoyer and Mallett both have potential to blow Sancheeze away, especially Mallett. I think he could be special. However, I'm not buying they are better than Sancheeze right now until I can see more real game action, and hopefully BB will feature them a bit if we get up early and hold big leads in the 3rd/4th quarter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Perhaps, the backups from years past, but not this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

seriously, as much as I despise Sancheese...the compare a playoff-battle tested QB to our backups is really pushing the limits of credulity.  Yes, the D is what carries the Jets but he has been to the AFC conference game twice so the big game experience is definitely in his favor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think Sanchez should be better given the Jets' run game and defense, especially in his 3rd year.  I think he is a bit overhyped, but for a guy with limited college experience and only two years un the league, he could emerge.  Is he the guy that puts the Jets over the top?  Hard to say, but this year could be telling. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]You have to figure, if they can get Hoyer into some blowout games this year, he's going to be 2nd rd trade bait material after 2011 with Mallett stepping into the back up role in 2012. Hoyer reminds me of a less INT prone Matt Schaub.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Belichick is a great coach. He knows the starting point for any QB is taking care of the ball. If you can't do that the rest gets moot pretty fast. I suspect if Hoyer has hung around this long, despite a lack of gametime proof, he is a decent QB who can take care of job #1.  And I suspect others know this so getting something significant in trade for him is a possibility.