Market for Leon Washington could heat up soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

NFL_washington.jpgWith the Jets applying only a second-round tender to running back Leon Washington, they are essentially inviting another team to sign him to an offer sheet.

That process could get started, we're told, within the next day or two.  Thus far, however, no visits have been scheduled. 

Washington and the Jets were engaged in talks on a long-term deal last year, but no agreement could be reached.  When he broke an ankle a leg in the regular season, the chances of a multi-year contract being done in the short term plummeted to zero.

But any team that needs help at running back -- especially if that team drafts in the lower portion of round two -- should be thinking about Washington, a versatile weapon who averaged nearly six yards per carry in 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/market-for-leon-washington-could-heat-up-soon/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb25. Show cb25's posts

Re: Market for Leon Washington could heat up soon

Washington is a solid player; however, I would think that if the Pats, or anyone else in the division, sign an offer sheet for him the Jets would simply match it and hang on to him. That is assuming, of course, the offer is not outrageous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Cheaper option ?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoatRy00.htm

Moats is tendered as 3rd. What do Pats fans think about Tate as KR/ #3 WR ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

if we were going to sign him we could (not that i would want to) because you could just include a poison pill into the contract, "if he plays one game for the jets he will make a salary of 15 million." and in order for the jets to match they must follow every clause in the contract including that one thus making it almost impossible to match the contract. I do not want him though, a 2nd in this draft is far too valueable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

natesub I agree with you on this point a second round draft choice in this particular draft is to high for Washington or any of the other RB's on the Free agent market. The only RB who might be worth the investment is Thomas Jones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Hasn't the league addressed the "poison pill" issue? I remember a few years ago when the Pats were courting Wes Welker there was talk that the league might institute a ban on this strategy, but I don't remember hearing any more about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hard to believe Mangini drafted all these pretty solid players. God I hate that guy, but got to give him some credit.