Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards

People.... Tampa is a tough team to run on... Add garbage time carries into the equation and you have your answer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards:
    [QUOTE]People.... Tampa is a tough team to run on... Add garbage time carries into the equation and you have your answer.
    Posted by prophet[/QUOTE]

Tampa is 29th against the run and give up 4.7 yrds per carry. Not exactly tough to run on them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Maroney was putting his head down and plowing ahead for 2-3 yards every time. The biggest knock on him this season has been the carries when he gets no gain or negative yards and this week he didn't have any of those.

It seems like he is beginning to understand that the homerun is not always there but a yard or two can be gained. Hey 2nd and 8 is alot better than 2nd and 11.

If Maroney continues to get those tough yards the big chunks will come later in the game.

It does seem that he gains confidence during the game with more carries or a short pass to open things up for him. Once he gets a good run you can tell that he switches mindsets and begins to run harder. The killer instinct comes on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

Anyone else notice that if you don't count draws, the Pats have only 2 running plays, dive left and dive right.  When is the last time they ran a pitch sweep or even off tackle .  I think  Maroney fan is decent, especially if the team tries to get him the ball in a manner other that basic runs up the middle.  He needs some screens and some passes into the flat to really turn him loose. 

Pats running game has become very predictable and therefore stopable. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reegz04. Show reegz04's posts

Think Maroney is a good back, he's just scared to get hurt. he's seen his share of injuries. now it seems as if he cowers behind his blockers and avoids contact. maybe he should see a shrink or somethin....the pats should just get in touch with corey dillon and call it a day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

I don't think you guys watched the game.  BJGE got carries on obvious run downs.  He got it at the end of the game while they were just trying to run out the clock with a backup qb.  OBVIOUS RUN PLAY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]People.... Tampa is a tough team to run on... Add garbage time carries into the equation and you have your answer.
    Posted by prophet[/QUOTE]

I was actually wondering how good the TB D rushing D was. They are 29th in the league. Other teams can put up yards against them.

Having seen Maroney last week where there were holes and this week where there weren't, I am more inclined to say the onus is on the O-line and their run blockking. Maroney owns part of that in not hitting whatever hole may be there.

There was the sequence to begin the 4th quarter where Maroney had the 3 straight rushes to get the TD. The first two were from the shotgun and Maroney went off the guard getting over 10 in the first and really moving the pile to get 4 on the second. Then he got the TD. That sequence there gave me a bit more hope for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fezdorf. Show Fezdorf's posts

The "time to cut our losses" mentality is just absurd.  Maroney is still on his rookie deal making short dollars.  What exactly have we lost with this guy?  He's got a lot of talent, he shows flashes of dominance (see last week's snow game), he gets hurt too often.  If you've been paying attention the last few weeks, you've seen a different RB.  Far less "dancing" and much more power running.  Tampa just didn't give up much on the ground yesterday.  Maroney got the big first downs when we needed them and punched in a TD. 

Either way, we still won by 4 TDs yesterday...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards:
    [QUOTE]Averaged less that 1 yard per carry, while Maroney averaged almost 3.5. I'm not hating on BenJarvus, I like him, but I find it hilarious when "fans" will use any opportunity to bash Maroney for no reason, when there was clearly nowhere to run the ball against Tampa today.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Some of us find it just as hilarious when another spouts off that "there was nowhere to run (today)."  Perhaps, we can extend this position to include any/all games that Maroney did not establish the running game, yeah?  (There was just nowhere on the filed to run, today...as though the field shrunk; became half of its original size.)  However, these arguments have a funny way of not holding up during the big games, where Maroney is usually hurt and or finding that...there is nowhere to run.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wow, yet another collection of Maroney criticisms... 

I love how everyone is so gungho for Maroney to "drop his shoulder" or "punish defenders..."  Did anyone here criticize other traditional "home run" type runners like Barry Sanders, Thuman Thomas or even Ladanian Tomlinson for not being a power back?  Barry and others used to duck underneath defenders or fall down before getting hit, did that make him less of a player?  You jackholes wouldn't sacrifice your lunch break at UPS nevermind lower you shoulder against a linebacker twice as heavy or strong as you... so get off your soapbox.

This guy isn't Antoine Smith and he isn't going to "grind it out" with a punishing running style, but Smith couldn't do half as much in the passing game and wasn't nearly the threat to reel off a 60 yard run in a moments notice.  The fact that he runs a 4.4 forty means he is to be respected, and we won by how many points again this weekend..?

Go back and watch the game tape of game one, who was the first runningback on the field that day?  He was...  so obviously Bill has more confidence in him than you.  Most of the meatballs here were screaming for Ben Watson to get traded or benched in favor of others before the season began, who is our best tightend right now? 

Stop criticising somebody for something you could never do in the first place.  You'd be whining and moaning if you got a hangnail and would sit out the rest of the season, this guy plays with broken bones and torn ligaments.  It's really easy to say "man up" from your lazy boy recliner...

AGAIN... A running back is a resource, Bill doesnt like to use up all his resources only to find the cupboard bare when the playoffs roll around.  Use the cannon fodder first (Taylor, Morris), hit them with your best shot in the playoffs...

Fantasy stats win you nothing except in fantasy land and Bill B doesn't give a rat's azz about your fantasy team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, yet another collection of Maroney criticisms...  I love how everyone is so gungho for Maroney to "drop his shoulder" or "punish defenders..."  Did anyone here criticize other traditional "home run" type runners like Barry Sanders, Thuman Thomas or even Ladanian Tomlinson for not being a power back?  Barry and others used to duck underneath defenders or fall down before getting hit, did that make him less of a player?  You jackholes wouldn't sacrifice your lunch break at UPS nevermind lower you shoulder against a linebacker twice as heavy or strong as you... so get off your soapbox. This guy isn't Antoine Smith and he isn't going to "grind it out" with a punishing running style, but Smith couldn't do half as much in the passing game and wasn't nearly the threat to reel off a 60 yard run in a moments notice.  The fact that he runs a 4.4 forty means he is to be respected, and we won by how many points again this weekend..? Go back and watch the game tape of game one, who was the first runningback on the field that day?  He was...  so obviously Bill has more confidence in him than you.  Most of the meatballs here were screaming for Ben Watson to get traded or benched in favor of others before the season began, who is our best tightend right now?  Stop criticising somebody for something you could never do in the first place.  You'd be whining and moaning if you got a hangnail and would sit out the rest of the season, this guy plays with broken bones and torn ligaments.  It's really easy to say "man up" from your lazy boy recliner... AGAIN... A running back is a resource, Bill doesnt like to use up all his resources only to find the cupboard bare when the playoffs roll around.  Use the cannon fodder first (Taylor, Morris), hit them with your best shot in the playoffs... Fantasy stats win you nothing except in fantasy land and Bill B doesn't give a rat's azz about your fantasy team.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

You make a great point W. People criticizing for things they themselves can't do.

I actually don't mind real criticism, but the vitriol about it seems to imply that the poster could do better. Of course, that ain't true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Yes.  I criticize Sanders and Thomas and Tomlinson.  When I need 3 yards, I NEED THEM.  You are the running back, its your job, GO GET THEM.  I expect my QB to throw, my receivers to catch, my line to block, and my RB to run.  How bizarre.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, yet another collection of Maroney criticisms...  I love how everyone is so gungho for Maroney to "drop his shoulder" or "punish defenders..."  Did anyone here criticize other traditional "home run" type runners like Barry Sanders, Thuman Thomas or even Ladanian Tomlinson for not being a power back?  Barry and others used to duck underneath defenders or fall down before getting hit, did that make him less of a player?  You jackholes wouldn't sacrifice your lunch break at UPS nevermind lower you shoulder against a linebacker twice as heavy or strong as you... so get off your soapbox. This guy isn't Antoine Smith and he isn't going to "grind it out" with a punishing running style, but Smith couldn't do half as much in the passing game and wasn't nearly the threat to reel off a 60 yard run in a moments notice.  The fact that he runs a 4.4 forty means he is to be respected, and we won by how many points again this weekend..? Go back and watch the game tape of game one, who was the first runningback on the field that day?  He was...  so obviously Bill has more confidence in him than you.  Most of the meatballs here were screaming for Ben Watson to get traded or benched in favor of others before the season began, who is our best tightend right now?  Stop criticising somebody for something you could never do in the first place.  You'd be whining and moaning if you got a hangnail and would sit out the rest of the season, this guy plays with broken bones and torn ligaments.  It's really easy to say "man up" from your lazy boy recliner... AGAIN... A running back is a resource, Bill doesnt like to use up all his resources only to find the cupboard bare when the playoffs roll around.  Use the cannon fodder first (Taylor, Morris), hit them with your best shot in the playoffs... Fantasy stats win you nothing except in fantasy land and Bill B doesn't give a rat's azz about your fantasy team.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Well, quite the pedantic lecturer aren't you?  you must be related to obama.

I guess us common fans just lack the football acumen that you so obviously possess. None of us has recognized the similarities between baloney and barry sanders, thurman thomas or LT, or the importance of being "first on the field".  

Again, it took someone of your superior football intellect to see that BB is actually saving baloney for our "best shot" in the playoffs.

P,S.

You need to take your meds, man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Here is the difference. Sanders made people miss, and on more then a few occasions I remember Barry running threw arm tackles. Thurman Thomas and LT both run with a lot more power then Maroney. Im not knocking Maroney here, but comparing him to 3 of the better running backs the NFL has seen is a little out of control

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ozfree1. Show ozfree1's posts

Give Law Firm some more touches......This guy has potential.....you're going to base all your marbles on one game where he had 7 carries? Ehh......watch him get in a rhythm and average 6-7 yds/touch......mark my words

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

[QUOTE]Give Law Firm some more touches......This guy has potential.....you're going to base all your marbles on one game where he had 7 carries? Ehh......watch him get in a rhythm and average 6-7 yds/touch......mark my words
    Posted by ozfree1[/QUOTE]

He had his chance last year and got 3.5 a carry

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]I read Maroney said after the London game that he was disappointed with his 3.5 avg and that next game he's ready to get his head down and hit the whole hard and do some real downhill running and that now he's ready to bring it!
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Oh, thank goodness.  I was worried for a second, but it sounds like he knows what he has to do and won't be dancing at all the rest of the season. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : Oh, thank goodness.  I was worried for a second, but it sounds like he knows what he has to do and won't be dancing at all the rest of the season. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

I was being sarcastic...................

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan1187. Show patfan1187's posts

Maroney will never be the 1st rd talent we thought we were getting when we drafted him.  What I can't understand is why the Pats offense doesnt work more to put him in position to feature his strenghts.  He is NOT a consistent "between the tackles" runner.  Maroney's strength is that burst or second gear and his elusiveness in space.  Why not work more with him on pitches, screens etc.  Challenge the edge with his speed.  Line him up in the slot, like they do with faulk and run him underneath or in the flats.  If he can get the ball in the second level of the defense rather than having to get through 300lb+ d-linemen I think everyone will come to appreciate, if not love, maroney for his talents.  The only problem is we already have a GREAT back to fill that role in Kevin Faulk!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Maroney will never be the 1st rd talent we thought we were getting when we drafted him.  What I can't understand is why the Pats offense doesnt work more to put him in position to feature his strenghts.  He is NOT a consistent "between the tackles" runner.  Maroney's strength is that burst or second gear and his elusiveness in space.  Why not work more with him on pitches, screens etc.  Challenge the edge with his speed.  Line him up in the slot, like they do with faulk and run him underneath or in the flats.  If he can get the ball in the second level of the defense rather than having to get through 300lb+ d-linemen I think everyone will come to appreciate, if not love, maroney for his talents.  The only problem is we already have a GREAT back to fill that role in Kevin Faulk!
    Posted by patfan1187[/QUOTE]

Because he can't catch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I'm not a huge Maroney fan but at this point he is our BEST option. BJGE can't catch the ball at all. Our line didn't block to well on Sunday. The nice thing is with this team running is only gravy. Our pass offense is so incredibly explosive i believe this team should average 35 per game no problem. I don't care if Maroney only gets 2-3 yards as long as he puts his head down and runs forward keeping his leags moving! We better hope that another running back goes down now! I do miss the days of 'Clock killin' Corey Dillon'!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

We ought to admit the fact that the line can not move people for any running back to bust loose.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]We ought to admit the fact that the line can not move people for any running back to bust loose.
    Posted by PuntonFirstDown[/QUOTE]

They don't open holes the way that Dallas did back in the '90's but there was a drop off and a noticeable difference from Taylor and Morris to Maroney. We should have been able to run a whole lot better against Tampa. As to the original post it's pretty obvious that BJGE isn't the answer either. If he was he would be getting all the carries. We don't need a great running game to make the playoffs and by then if we're lucky we'll have Fred Taylor back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : Maybe, but then BJGE S UCKS HARDER!
    Posted by bobomul[/QUOTE]

Using you logic Hoyer is clearly better than Brady because brady had 2 INTs while Hoyer had none on Sunday.

Just because both backs had a mediocre day doesn't mean BJGE isn't better than Maroney. If I told you that you could chose from two running backs: One back moves towards the end zone and the other does not. Who would you pick? It's really that simple. We've been seeing the side to side dance from Maroney for years now. I don't know what more some of you guys need to see to get that Maroney isn't an NFL player. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : Because he can't catch.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

How many passes has he dropped so far this season?