Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards

In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards:
    [QUOTE] In the 85-86 season Tony Eason was hurt after game 5 and the Pats had a 2-3 record. Grogan came in and won 6 strait games. Eason returned and finished 3-2. The Pats were 5-5 with Eason but finished 11-5 because of Grogan. If Eason didn't get hurt, Pats more than likely wouldn't have made the playoffs as their 11-5 record gave them a wild card along with the 11-5 Jets. Miami won the division at 12-4. Although Eason did start and win the three playoff games many fans wanted Grogan to play in the Superbowl. Neither Eason or Grogan could do much against the Bears 46 defense but Eason was replaced because he looked confused out there not because of any injury. To say he led them to their first Superbowl is somewhat misleading.
    Posted by hoochiemgg[/QUOTE]

That is how I remembered it.....

I lived in the Town that Eason was living in back in 86....his house was a little vandalized after the SB loss.......just a little....DOH!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : You're a moron. Eason was the best QB they had until Brady.  Eason was also ruined by the Pats' doctor who put a cast on his arm incorrectly. We have a stud RB already.  No go away.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Tony Eason's biggest flaw was the he was not Steve Grogan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Law Firm is HIGHLY OVERRATED by the fans.....Both backs are sucky, it is just that Maroney us less sucky but makes his suckieness look worse by dancing at the line before he gets tackled, where Lawfirm just runs straight into the wall.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Their running offense in general is bad. They are not a power running team, the O-line can not come off the ball and maul guy in front of them. They need to run more like the Colts. Especially with Maroney. They need to run stretch plays where he can get to the edge, toss plays and off tackle runs. Maroney has speed and quickness not power.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Why is it every time they put Faulk in he gets around 8 yards!? We don't have alot of options right now. Let's just hope Morris can eventually come back. If our D can keep getting better this team could be scary good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards :   Using you logic Hoyer is clearly better than Brady because brady had 2 INTs while Hoyer had none on Sunday. Just because both backs had a mediocre day doesn't mean BJGE isn't better than Maroney. If I told you that you could chose from two running backs: One back moves towards the end zone and the other does not. Who would you pick? It's really that simple. We've been seeing the side to side dance from Maroney for years now. I don't know what more some of you guys need to see to get that Maroney isn't an NFL player. 
    Posted by dafoe[/QUOTE]either are the rest of the backs.this is why welker is our running game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

[QUOTE]Why is it every time they put Faulk in he gets around 8 yards!? We don't have alot of options right now. Let's just hope Morris can eventually come back. If our D can keep getting better this team could be scary good.
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]

I believe Faulk is in mostly when the team is in passing formations thus the opposing D is in a nickel or dime defense which opens up for the run a little more.

There are others on the board who could probably answer better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : I believe Faulk is in mostly when the team is in passing formations thus the opposing D is in a nickel or dime defense which opens up for the run a little more. There are others on the board who could probably answer better.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  Faulk is simply better at picking up yards than most other running backs in the NFL. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

It's not as if BJGE missed open holes. There were none for him and he got what he could. I'd like to see him start, where he could the ball in non obvious rushing situations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]It's not as if BJGE missed open holes. There were none for him and he got what he could. I'd like to see him start, where he could the ball in non obvious rushing situations.
    Posted by jedinate[/QUOTE] but there was holes open for maroney?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Yes.  I criticize Sanders and Thomas and Tomlinson.  When I need 3 yards, I NEED THEM.  You are the running back, its your job, GO GET THEM.  I expect my QB to throw, my receivers to catch, my line to block, and my RB to run.  How bizarre.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

If you need 3 yards and can't get them blame your offensive line and the fact you should have been using your fullback or powerback if you have one on your roster...  I've never seen Maroney dance when all he needed was a couple of yards for a first down, he has the ability to mix it up down there and is especially effective in the playoffs.  If a runningback is stuffed in the backfield right when he receives the ball is it his fault... how bizarre?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : Well, quite the pedantic lecturer aren't you?  you must be related to obama. I guess us common fans just lack the football acumen that you so obviously possess. None of us has recognized the similarities between baloney and barry sanders, thurman thomas or LT, or the importance of being "first on the field".   Again, it took someone of your superior football intellect to see that BB is actually saving baloney for our "best shot" in the playoffs. P,S. You need to take your meds, man.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Anything I post tends to be grounded in logic and history, if this frustrates you I'm sorry.  I know you're used to having everything fed to you in soundbyte form considering you're such a big fan of "conservative" talk radio.  Pedantic is Rush's favorite hot button word also, right after "liberal." 

In the future, just once, see if you can post without injecting some idealogical, political BS and without hurling personal insults.  Politics are a joke and I don't engage in politics or political discussions, so keep it to yourself.  Your Jedi mind tricks will not work on me...

In 2003, Antoine Smith's final season with the Patriot's, Bill played him sparingly and Kevin Faulk got the majority of work.  It was either because Bill knew he didn't have a significant backup on his bench and he would need Toine in the playoffs or because he consulted the black crystal orb he bought at the Hyannis Mall and it told him to.  Back then I didn't ask Bill when I was here sticking up for Smith, I just used logic and a roster chart to figure it out...

Needless to say, close to 75 percent of the posters here were doing the same thing then that they are doing now in regards to Maroney; bashing him, begging Bill to trade for a "real" running back, all the while deriding Smith, his 3.5 yards per carry average and limited carries per game...

In the playoffs Smith led us in carries, first downs (13) and raised his average to nearly 4 yards a carry.  History, look it up...

Maroney has fumbled once in his career, has a very solid 4.3 yards per carry career average, he was hurt in 2008 but in the playoffs in 2007 he had 80 carries, a 4.6 average, 19 first downs and 4 TD's...  tell me how this stinks again?  Again history and fact, not opinion or conjecture...

I'd like to think most PAT's fans are just spoiled from an abundance of riches and not ignorant fartwads... don't aim to make me believe the latter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Why is it every time they put Faulk in he gets around 8 yards!?
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]

Faulk runs one running play, I think: a draw play with an inside handoff. He's really good at that play, but you can't run that all game. It works because the Pats are in a passing formation (in the shotgun and usually in a spread formation).  The D has to respect the pass in that situation and also is spread out to cover the wideouts.  So there's space in the middle of the defensive formation for Faulk to exploit. Faulk is an excellent runner in this situation, but it's been years since I've seen him in a three-point stance in the backfield on first or second down like a typical running back. That's just not his role. He's the quintessential third down back--one of the best in the league. A guy who blocks for the passer, catches passes out of the backfield, and runs a few draw plays or maybe a screen.  But I don't see him banging up the middle on first and second down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't like Maroney's dancing, but I didn't see much from BJGE in the Tampa game to make me think he's the answer. Fred Taylor really ran well in the Atlanta game, with power, shiftiness, and decisiveness. I wonder if there's another accomplished old guy out there who could come back to run a few plays each game? That would really help us. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston30. Show boston30's posts

Agree with the last post!

I like the law firm, but at what point are we going to look at the real problem.  The offensive line.  There is a reason the same teams keep developing great Running backs and we cannot.  Our offensive line is built for pass protectionn is small compared most teams.  Look at what TB OL did to our defense Line last week.  We need to to start drafting bigger offensive lineman -bottom line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : I believe Faulk is in mostly when the team is in passing formations thus the opposing D is in a nickel or dime defense which opens up for the run a little more. There are others on the board who could probably answer better.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

Most every time Faulk is in is when the Pats have 4 wide, Brady in the shotgun and Faulk as the lone back.....the opposing team has to play the pass, and Faulk gets his yards of the delayed handoff.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

"Wow, yet another collection of Maroney criticisms...  I love how everyone is so gungho for Maroney to "drop his shoulder" or "punish defenders..."  Did anyone here criticize other traditional "home run" type runners like Barry Sanders, Thuman Thomas or even Ladanian Tomlinson for not being a power back?" 

I'm not sure if the most amazing thing is that you refer to Laura Maroney as a ' "home run" type runner' or that you had the audacity to include Maroney in a comparison to Sanders, Thomas and LT! You can't be serious....

On the off-chance you are serious, thanx for the belly-laugh!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

They both are bad?

To tell whether or not this statement is true, look at their producution and the % of plays out of the shotgun.

The sting of losing Morris and Taylor will be felt against tough teams.

Get well soon, guys!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]They both are bad? To tell whether or not this statement is true, look at their producution and the % of plays out of the shotgun. The sting of losing Morris and Taylor will be felt against tough teams. Get well soon, guys!!!
    Posted by CubanPete[/QUOTE]

Are you replying to someone?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]. . . at what point are we going to look at the real problem.  The offensive line.  There is a reason the same teams keep developing great Running backs and we cannot.  Our offensive line is built for pass protectionn is small compared most teams.  Look at what TB OL did to our defense Line last week.  We need to to start drafting bigger offensive lineman -bottom line.
    Posted by boston30[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert on OL play, but I tend to agree that our OL is not a great run-blocking line. Mankins seems to be pretty good in the running game. The rest of the linemen, though, do seem to be more oriented toward pass protection. I've always thought we'd benefit from bigger, meaner, more athletic tackles--both left and right. The interior line, I think, is less of an issue.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Bashers: BenJarvus had 7 carries for 6 yards : I'm no expert on OL play, but I tend to agree that our OL is not a great run-blocking line. Mankins seems to be pretty good in the running game. The rest of the linemen, though, do seem to be more oriented toward pass protection. I've always thought we'd benefit from bigger, meaner, more athletic tackles--both left and right. The interior line, I think, is less of an issue.
    Posted by soloflyfisher[/QUOTE]

Good post, I have to agree we don't have any maulers along the front besides Mankins but I have high hopes for Vollmer and when we ran more technique based running schemes (back in the Charlie Weiss days) we have/had mobile guards that could pull, trap and block with the best of them.  They equaled more than the sum of their parts as a unit...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE]What the hel l does Maroney tip toeing through the daisies have to do with BJGE? Maroney s ucks.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I saw LM playing hard and tough in London. The Oline let him down - right side in particular - Neal, Kazur and Koppen need to butch up!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

The Pats are a pass first team which means they're putting a lot more emphasis on protecting TB than opening up holes for the backs. This doesn't excuse the fact that they can't open up a hole, or LM dances too much but it does explain what's happening. Tampa was ranked near the bottom for run D and the Pats still couldn't do much running the ball.
    Three weeks ago almost everyone was calling for Maroney's head saying put Law Firm in and he couldn't do anything either. It seems to me that BB is running it just enough to keep teams D honest and uses those small ground gains to set up short 3rd downs. 
    I'm glad they have a bye to work on it or they could get a surprise with the #1 run D coming up next. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats are a pass first team which means they're putting a lot more emphasis on protecting TB than opening up holes for the backs. This doesn't excuse the fact that they can't open up a hole, or LM dances too much but it does explain what's happening. Tampa was ranked near the bottom for run D and the Pats still couldn't do much running the ball. Three weeks ago almost everyone was calling for Maroney's head saying put Law Firm in and he couldn't do anything either. It seems to me that BB is running it just enough to keep teams D honest and uses those small ground gains to set up short 3rd downs.  I'm glad they have a bye to work on it or they could get a surprise with the #1 run D coming up next. 
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

You're not going to run effectively out of the shotgun. You're going to have prot probelms operating out of the shotgun, since teams know that they're going to pass.

Moreover, teams do not fear Maroney, nor should they. He's not a feature back. Opposing DCs don't say "we have to account for Maroney or BJGE". If anything, they welcome the idea of daring the Pats to win on the backs of those guys, just as long as we can stop TB and Co.