Maroney is a stud!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Re: Maroney is a stud!

Maroney ran well yesterday. His upside is still out the roof if he can continue to build off these last few games. 

One thing i noticed yesterday was how he came off the field a lot in the 1st qtr while he was picking up momentum on the ground. Seemed like he struggled to get back in rythm in the 2nd and a little in the 3rd but pretty much ran hard the rest of the way. 

His stat line was solid especially to say he had no run for more than 20 to pad his stats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nmb106. Show nmb106's posts

Just very happy for him today... he ran tough against a stout run defense (missing Ferguson admittedly), and is standing up to be counted now the team have to rely on him in the absence of Taylor / Morris.

I'm not going overboard on him just yet, he has disappointed way too many times to jump on the bandwagon after one solid performance, but he's showing some signs that he is starting to get it. Let's reassess after Week 13, when we finish our 'tough' stretch...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I think this is more of a case of the O line executing their blocks on running plays than a back being a stud or not. Decent yards per carry and no sacks. It's about time they started getting their sheet together. With the upcomming November schedule I'd say it's just in the nick of time

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney is a stud!:
    [QUOTE]I'm with you Fowler, the same ones screaming for his head three weeks ago are pretty quiet now. I made a list of the LM haters and I'm just waiting for them to jump over. If your going to bash him when he plays bad at least give a shout out when he doesn't. You know who you are.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Sam,

Fair point. Some of us don't hate Maroney, we just hate how he stutter steps instead of picking a direction and running hard. Yesterday, he was brilliant - especially against a good run D team. So, credit when credit is due - he was a stud yesterday. Hopefully, he will continue this decisive, hard running. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]If a "stud" deliberately runs into the back of his offensive lineman because he's afraid to get hit, and then because of sheer luck finds himself with a huge hole, and a "stud" gets tackled early but out of sheer luck happens to role on top of another player and the defense thinks he is down, and if a "stud" dances so well that the announcers point it out every play, then Maroney is quite the stud!
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE] a good back will run behind his blocker.if a hole isnt open,the back grabs the blocker and trys to push him into a defender,and then gets what he can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I agree with another poster that LM seemed to be hitting the hole hard one carry and the next he STILL had to make a little dance step to the side. 

Is he getting there? Maybe but, he needs to consistently hit the hole and run hard without hesitation. It's maddening to watch him. All he has to do is get those 6-7 yards and get in the open field and he is gone! Instead, he manages to fiddle and diddle too much. 

Close but, he needs to have a break out game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've always thought that a good bit of Maroney's apparent reluctance to play hard nosed smash mouth was due to his physical condition.  He's been injured for much of his time here.  He now appears healthy and ready to play. 

And for the record, I am not suggesting that injuries give him a pass, only that this is more what we can expect when he's healthy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]If a "stud" deliberately runs into the back of his offensive lineman because he's afraid to get hit, and then because of sheer luck finds himself with a huge hole, and a "stud" gets tackled early but out of sheer luck happens to role on top of another player and the defense thinks he is down, and if a "stud" dances so well that the announcers point it out every play, then Maroney is quite the stud!
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

I don't think he is afraid to get hit, because what you are describing is textbook running. Ride on the back of the big guys when the hole is closed.

I understand Maroney has wiggled a little in the backfield resulting in no gainers instead of 2 yarders, but in reality, he isn't nearly as terrible a back as people proclaim here.

Maroney's biggest issue is that he plays for a team that doesn't like to run very often, and he isn't a pass catching back. NE will never have a 1400 yard back as long as Brady, Moss and Welker are here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Guys, there was nothing good about Maroney running into Neal, other than that he got lucky.  The announcers even asked if he was blind.  Yeah, a good back will let the blocks develop and stay behind his linemen for just long enough and time his cuts perfectly, but that ain't Maroney.  Maroney is afraid to get hit and it is obvious. 

Did everyone see him yapping away on the sidelines after the game?  He has no hesitation when it comes to celebrating.  If there were any decent backs available BB would can his a**.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from manny-bein-manny. Show manny-bein-manny's posts

Maroney ran well -it's true but I  breathed sigh of relief to see that Faulk could still trot out to get the 1st down when we really need it ...

Maroney just doesn't instill that "can do feeling" when he is on the field. He's still too uneven and I 'm always concerned that he will get stuffed or worse when he reaches the line.

1 thing is that he has a safe pair of hands and I think that counts a lot for Bill B.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Watch Addai (the guy we SHOULD have taken) outrun Maroney's wimpy form yet again next week while Maroney inevitably gets injured and promises to regain his health quickly and promise to run hard for his long awaited breakthrough season when he returns next year. 

Oh yeah. I can see this happening right now........ because it's already happened 3 other times. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, there was nothing good about Maroney running into Neal, other than that he got lucky.  The announcers even asked if he was blind.  Yeah, a good back will let the blocks develop and stay behind his linemen for just long enough and time his cuts perfectly, but that ain't Maroney.  Maroney is afraid to get hit and it is obvious.  Did everyone see him yapping away on the sidelines after the game?  He has no hesitation when it comes to celebrating.  If there were any decent backs available BB would can his a**.

You obviously did not watch the same game as the rest of us. Maroney lowered the shoulder and was punishing linebackers at the end of his runs. To suggest he is afraid to be hit or he is not a good player for us has to be said out of ignorance. Sorry if thats harsh but just admit when you are wrong and move on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Maroney did well for himself and I hope he can continue this.  I think we can all recall some other times he's done well for a few games (2007 playoffs) only to not continue it.  I cannot discount the effect of injuries though.

The one thing some people overlook is that it's not merely us uninformed fans that believe he dances and such.  Remember Kraft's remarks caught on camera in the 2007 playoffs "He's finally running hard"?  Bruschi has also mentioned it in a piece on ESPNBoston. 

I'll hope that injuries will not hamper him again and his roll will continue.  Everyone would love to see Maroney reach his potential.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

jump the gun much? He looked good for a two game stretch and that does not make him stud.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImbDauwg. Show ImbDauwg's posts

"People say New England fans are bad fans because they demand perfection from their
    team, I say it is only because we demand perfection from our Patriots that they manage to be so good."

Um, NOPE. The Patriots are this good because they have the single greatest quarterback who has ever played the game, and receivers who catch the ball.

It has exactly nothing to do with you. Sorry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, there was nothing good about Maroney running into Neal, other than that he got lucky.  The announcers even asked if he was blind.  Yeah, a good back will let the blocks develop and stay behind his linemen for just long enough and time his cuts perfectly, but that ain't Maroney.  Maroney is afraid to get hit and it is obvious.  Did everyone see him yapping away on the sidelines after the game?  He has no hesitation when it comes to celebrating.  If there were any decent backs available BB would can his a**.

The announcers? Please! When they could get their faces out of the Fins azzes all they did was crap on the Pats. Using their ANALysis as an example just shows how desperate you are to bash him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

[QUOTE]Watch Addai (the guy we SHOULD have taken) outrun Maroney's wimpy form yet again next week while Maroney inevitably gets injured and promises to regain his health quickly and promise to run hard for his long awaited breakthrough season when he returns next year.  Oh yeah. I can see this happening right now........ because it's already happened 3 other times. 
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Addai  51 games, 3096 yds, 4.1 per carry, 60.1 per game 29 td's

Maroney 38 games, 2040 yds, 4.3 per carry, 53.2 per game, 15td's

Boy your super star Addai sure looks a lot like Maroney doesnt he.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

One good game does not a season make. He played well most of the time yesterday, saw the dancing show up a few times too. We need to KNOW that we can get 3rd and short on the ground when we need it. For the two or three plays we ran K. Faulk, THE TRUE STUD, he made a difference.

When we can count of L Maroney on a 3rd down like we do Welker and Faulk, then he will be a stud.

This is the NFL, you are suppose to hit hard, that ain't a stud, that is just doing your job!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

One thing that is never be mentioned in Maroney conversations is that the guy doesn't fumble! Ask the Houston Texans how important that is?

Give Maroney a little running room, and chance to get up a head of steam...and he's a very effective RB. I wish that the Pats would employ him more often on screens and swing passes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]     One thing that is never be mentioned in Maroney conversations is that the guy doesn't fumble! Ask the Houston Texans how important that is?      Give Maroney a little running room, and chance to get up a head of steam...and he's a very effective RB. I wish that the Pats would employ him more often on screens and swing passes.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

They did early in his time here. Yesterday the screen was not a huge factor in the O plan. The Fins were probably expecting some screens so the staff went in a different direction. If the O line can open up some decent holes inside there's no reason to run screens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

[QUOTE]One good game does not a season make. He played well most of the time yesterday, saw the dancing show up a few times too. We need to KNOW that we can get 3rd and short on the ground when we need it. For the two or three plays we ran K. Faulk, THE TRUE STUD, he made a difference. When we can count of L Maroney on a 3rd down like we do Welker and Faulk, then he will be a stud. This is the NFL, you are suppose to hit hard, that ain't a stud, that is just doing your job!
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

Appearently BB thinks he can. Ever notice and goal to go situations? If its 2 yards or less they give Maroney the ball and he finds pay dirt. If he runs like he has the last 3-4 weeks the Patriots will be more then fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

themightypatriotz, if you can't acknowledge that Maroney had a good game yesterday, you have absolutely no objectivity.  Save for a play or two, he hit the hole MUCH quicker than he was earlier in the season, and when a defender got in his way, he INITIATED contact and picked up extra yards.  Anyone with two eyes and an unbiased mind could see that.  He was a very, very good running back yesterday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

[QUOTE]themightypatriotz, if you can't acknowledge that Maroney had a good game yesterday, you have absolutely no objectivity.  Save for a play or two, he hit the hole MUCH quicker than he was earlier in the season, and when a defender got in his way, he INITIATED contact and picked up extra yards.  Anyone with two eyes and an unbiased mind could see that.  He was a very, very good running back yesterday.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

I agree. On more then one instance I can remember nothing being there and Maroney lowering his shoulder and getting 2-3 yards. Yesterday was the first time since his rookie season, that I have seen him lower his head and look for contact.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]jump the gun much? He looked good for a two game stretch and that does not make him stud.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

He has too many injuries to be a stud. I disagree with many that think he can't run, when he has gotten reps he has a 4.3 YPC. That is great in the NFL.

But the lingering fact is that to be a 'stud,' here and in horse breeding (lol), you need to be healthy.

If the fastest horse in the world can't complete a season without hurting itself, they eventually give it the shotgun treatment. They dont go out breeding other brittle ponies.

Maroney needs to stay healthy this year and next to get a legit shot at re-upping his contract.

I suspect BB is fine with 700-800 yards at 4.3 YPC from the infrequent times they actually run in a base set that isn't spread.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Tedy Bruschi was very critical of Maroney in his blog earlier this season.  Here are his comments about Maroney posted today:

With Miami playing without nose tackle Jason Ferguson and linebackerChanning Crowder, the Patriots attacked the middle of the Dolphins defense with the inside running of Laurence Maroney. While his numbers weren't staggering (20 rushes for 82 yards and a touchdown), it was the way Maroney ran that was impressive. He aggressively hit the holes, putting his foot in the ground and making powerful cuts while attacking the line of scrimmage. He put his head down, broke tackles and got the tough yards. Maroney ran with a confidence that hasn't been seen for two seasons.