1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Marshall Faulk

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once again MF has veered off into the tight zone an declared PM greates ever, but this time he had to take a big gulp before it could come out of his mouth

Sanders and Ervin would not let it pas, and said he may not even best of his era, that his career isn't over and his playoff record wasn't so hot 

they didn't mention that his record against TB and the Pats sux, and his record ib clod weather sux, or that he has has had higher quality wrs, or that his stats are inflated by playing in doors. Otr that TB has a stronger arm

First I want the pats to win another sb soon, second I want it to stick in the haters craw and  then I want MF to have to eat it that his boy isn't the greatest. lastly have you noticed all of the Pat haters on espn and nflnet all come from AFC teams. the NFC players like the pats more

MF being PMs buddy from indie and his ram bitterness

[/QUOTE]
    So tell us how you really feel.  BTW - Peyton Manning - Greatest QB of his era and all time. 

[/QUOTE]

Too bad he's such a loser in the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]
    if you see it that way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Saying Peyton is better than Tom is not an insult to Tom"

Sure it is, though it's not just an insult to Tom, it's an insult to Montana, Elway, and any of us who believe that post season record has at least some bearing on a quarterbacks overall stature. 

I have a big issue with pronouncing Peyton the greatest of all time at this point. He needs two more rings and huge postseasons to get us to that point. 

However, I will say: if Peyton can get a ring this year (which I highly doubt given his tendency to choke up a postseason game), then he will have two rings, and that certainly makes the arguments more interesting. 

If someone wants to say Peyton is the greatest regular season quarterback of all time I think that's a defensible positiona at this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady averages 11 picks per year. Manning 14.8.

Manning already has 53 more attempts this year than Brady had in 2007.

[/QUOTE]
    That ought to do it, unless there are those that believe Manning's defense was bad enough that it forced him to pass and forced him to press.  Example:  Manning' Pick six in his last SB.  Did you know that Drew Brees was on his way to a 25 of 26 finish to the superbowl.  INdy's D could not stop him.  Special teams gave up an onside kick.  If the other area's of team were not going to help, then it was up to Manning. 

Oh - and in 2007 when Brady broke Manning's record, Brady threw 79 more passes than Manning AND Manning sat the final game while Brady played the entire game.  That ought to do it.

[/QUOTE]

Yes...their D did not play well.....but their D did not let Tracy Porter read Manning like an open book. 

[/QUOTE]

no doubt, but the colts were already down 7, Matt Stover had missed a FG on the previous colts possession.  Its clear that Manning was pressing.  He made a mistake. 

On the other hand, last year Brady threw 2 4th quarter ints against the ravens and couldn't produce any points in the 4th in their last SB although the D held the Giants below their scoring allowance for the year. 

Really, I can do this all day. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"if you see it that way."

The stats see it that way. 

Manning 9-11 career postseason, with 8 one-and-dones. That's a losing playoff record.

That needs to be improved upon if you want to call him the best of all time. Of course you wouldn't understand being the ultimate homer with the ultimate nasty little chip on your shoulder.

As for me, I'm no homer. My standard is fair. I still put Montana ahead of Brady all time and would require Brady to win two more titles to put him higher. I lean towards Elway over Brady also but that's a bit of my bias about mobile quarterbacks coming to the fore. I rule out Unitas, Graham and that era as I don't feel qualified to assess them. At any rate both Brady and Manning have a bit more time to change their place in history.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Once again MF has veered off into the tight zone an declared PM greates ever, but this time he had to take a big gulp before it could come out of his mouth

Sanders and Ervin would not let it pas, and said he may not even best of his era, that his career isn't over and his playoff record wasn't so hot 

they didn't mention that his record against TB and the Pats sux, and his record ib clod weather sux, or that he has has had higher quality wrs, or that his stats are inflated by playing in doors. Otr that TB has a stronger arm

First I want the pats to win another sb soon, second I want it to stick in the haters craw and  then I want MF to have to eat it that his boy isn't the greatest. lastly have you noticed all of the Pat haters on espn and nflnet all come from AFC teams. the NFC players like the pats more

[/QUOTE]
    So tell us how you really feel.  BTW - Peyton Manning - Greatest QB of his era and all time. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ud6

This is always a fun debate, there Qb rating is almost identical but TB I believe has the lowest INT ratio. and when talking the head to head , playoff and weather stats, all you do is come back to sat PN is the greatest kind of weak

PM   = Marino A great complement

TB.= JM A greater complement

JM btw way was the hands down greatest Qb Ever ( until then)never forget Madden saying that in a SB win

Merry Christmas to all

[/QUOTE]
    foxes - Manning and Brady have played during the same period for many years.  During their careers - Manning will have won 5 mvps (assuming he wins this year) to Brady's 2.  Brady had every opportunity to win those vs. Manning. 

Manning has earned 6 first team all pro (probably 7 with this year) vs. Brady's 2. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no doubt, but the colts were already down 7, Matt Stover had missed a FG on the previous colts possession.  Its clear that Manning was pressing.  He made a mistake. 

On the other hand, last year Brady threw 2 4th quarter ints against the ravens and couldn't produce any points in the 4th in their last SB although the D held the Giants below their scoring allowance for the year. 

[/QUOTE]

well you can thank Wessie as well for no 4th Q points in SB46.

also just stating one of Tom's 2 picks last year was tipped at the line, a weird play

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Peyton is in the conversation for the best all time and so too is Brady. Statistically speaking both have benefitted from playing an era where the rules of the game have inflated some of thier numbers. Marino would throw 60 TD's in today's game...Montana benefitted from playing for a coach and an offense that revolutionized the game and lets not forget that the Niners owners spent lavishly every year to field the best teams...So it's not like Montana was the sole reason the Niners won 4 rings with him behind center and another with Young. Though there is something to be said for playing big in big games. Elway reached the superbowl with an overmatched Bronco team and didn't win until the twilight of his carrer...

That said Manning's record more importantly his performance in big games regular and post season does leave him open to critique. 

[/QUOTE]
    No complaints with this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Manning 9-11 career postseason, with 8 one-and-dones. That's a losing playoff record.

That needs to be improved upon if you want to call him the best of all time. Of course you wouldn't understand being the ultimate homer with the ultimate nasty little chip on your shoulder.

As for me, I'm no homer. My standard is fair. I still put Montana ahead of Brady all time and would require Brady to win two more titles to put him higher. I lean towards Elway over Brady also but that's a bit of my bias about mobile quarterbacks coming to the fore. I rule out Unitas, Graham and that era as I don't feel qualified to assess them. At any rate both Brady and Manning have a bit more time to change their place in history.

[/QUOTE]
    fair enough with some of these points.  I think the postseason record is overblown when you look at some of the circumstances and look at Manning's actual performance.  As for the Manning is the best thing - I just really do it to get under the skin of a few here who can't open their mind enough to consider anything other than their point of view.  As fans, we're both lucky to have the QB's we have. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well you can thank Wessie as well for no 4th Q points in SB46.

also just stating one of Tom's 2 picks last year was tipped at the line, a weird play

[/QUOTE]
    fair point about the tipped int, EXCEPT that QB's have to be responsible for tipped ball ints unless (imo) the INT results from hitting the intended receivers hands in a catchable manner and ends up as an int.  Obviously that's left to interpretation at times, but there are times when an int is clearly not the fault of the QB. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ud6

This is always a fun debate, there Qb rating is almost identical but TB I believe has the lowest INT ratio. and when talking the head to head , playoff and weather stats, all you do is come back to sat PN is the greatest kind of weak

JM btw way was the hands down greatest Qb Ever ( until then)never forget Madden saying that in a SB win

Merry Christmas to all

[/QUOTE]
    foxes - Manning and Brady have played during the same period for many years.  During their careers - Manning will have won 5 mvps (assuming he wins this year) to Brady's 2.  Brady had every opportunity to win those vs. Manning. 

Manning has earned 6 first team all pro (probably 7 with this year) vs. Brady's 2. 

[/QUOTE]

But you have no answers to how PM sux in bad weather,  or that  his recoed of 4-10 against TB or that TB had In all 5 SBs a go ahead score in the 4th qtr, or PMs 8 "1 and dones with top seeded teams, or that PM played in an indoor rinky dink with HoF wrs that bloated his stats, while their overall Qbr is virtually the same, orTBs.  17.  -7 vs PMs   8-10 in post season

you never answer to any of that. meanwhile only Faulk and other pat haters pick PM while Irvin and Sanders  types pick TB

Right now not too many people would ever pick PM over TB in the 4th qtr, of the SB this February in NJ

Somtimes it is the team the player is on. but PM isn't really even DM PM s stats this year were built on playing the worst Ds in the league. Starting with Balt and his 7 tds. with 4 of them were meaningless. 

the better question is why you come to this  board? Really? we all know you will keep your head stuck in the sand and will never pull it out. That's ok but I wouldn't spend one minute on an Indie blog. And until you really add to any discussion I think il put you back on ignore

I have differences with many pats fans on BB as Gm, TB and the never ending WW vs DA debate, but that's ok , they are Pats fans and you aren'taren't

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

The criticism should not be on Peyton, it should be on Faulk. He's been bitter since 2002 SB. He hates the Pats. I would take Brady over Manning, but I believe Manning was more important to the Colts those years. When Brady missed just about all of 2008, Matt Cassell and the Pats still finished 11-5. When Manning missed just about all of 2011 the Colts were 2-14 or 3-13.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who cares who's better? they both have sub-500 playoff wining percentages since 2005.

[/QUOTE]

Close but Tom has one win OVER 500 since or including 2005 we went 1-1 that year.  At least that's what I got

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/playoffs.htm

Manny is 6-6 including 05 and also one above 500 after to now.

Manning has been one and DONE 8 times out of 12 playoff appearances and is 9-11 overall

Brady has 2 one and dones and is 17-7 in playoffs

From a playoff record perspective it's not even close. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

PM playoffs

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 1999 (0-1), 2000 (0-1), 2002 (0-1), 2003 (2-1), 2004 (1-1), 2005 (0-1), 2006 (4-0), 2007 (0-1), 2008 (0-1), 2009 (2-1), 2010 (0-1), 2012 (0-1)
    Playoff Comebacks: 2006 (1)
    Playoff Game-Winning Drives: 2006 (1

TB

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 2001 (3-0), 2003 (3-0), 2004 (3-0), 2005 (1-1), 2006 (2-1), 2007 (2-1), 2009 (0-1), 2010 (0-1), 2011 (2-1), 2012 (1-1)
    Playoff Comebacks: 2001 (1),2003 (1),2006 (1)
    Playoff Game-Winning Drives: 2001 (2),2003 (2),2004 (1),2006 (1)

OUCH!!!  Good thing there's no game losing drives stat peyton would kill us on that one LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Saying Peyton is better than Tom is not an insult to Tom, Peyton is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.

[/QUOTE]

Faulk is a well known Patriots hater. Perhaps he really does feel that Peyton is the best ever. But, more likely, he still is letting his anti-Patriots bias and his ridiculous belief that spygate somehow cost his beloved Rams SB 36, shine through.

Don't know who is a bigger cry-baby, Marshall or LaDainian Tomlinson. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerLT. Show RogerLT's posts

[QUOTE]

Bart starr has 7 titles thats pretty easy to assess

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to RogerLT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Joe Montana was a great QB, but is overrated in "the greatest QB of all-time" discussions, because of the tremendous talent that he had around him, on both offense and defense...with the possible exception of his 1981 championship team that beat Cincinnati in the SB, 26-21. Brady has done nearly as much as Joe, with far less talent. As for Peyton, his well documented big game  chokes eliminates him from GOAT consideration, regardless of all his gawdy, dome enhanced stats. 

Bart starr has 7 titles thats pretty easy to assess

RESPONSE: Bart Starr, on the other hand, is highly underrated. He was the Brady of his day...and got it done in one of the league's most hostile environments. He should be ranked ahead of both Montana and Peyton...and belongs in the discussion with Brady as the greatest QB of all-time. 

Elway over Brady?? Pure talent wise...yes. But otherwise...spare me! Elway owes those two SB rings acquired late in his career to RB Terrell Davis, who, despite an injury shortened career, belongs in the Hall of Fame:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1276879-denver-broncos-is-terrell-davis-worthy-of-the-nfl-hall-of-fame 

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The criticism should not be on Peyton, it should be on Faulk. He's been bitter since 2002 SB. He hates the Pats. I would take Brady over Manning, but I believe Manning was more important to the Colts those years. When Brady missed just about all of 2008, Matt Cassell and the Pats still finished 11-5. When Manning missed just about all of 2011 the Colts were 2-14 or 3-13.

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this.  PM is as deferential as TB, and PM reached out to TB when TB was injured. I don't buy in to the" oh shucks " PM image but he is respectful of others. I don't hate him for sure, in big situations I think PZm fades

Faulk is another story, especially when he says that there was more pressure on PM as a number 1 . I guess there was no pressure on a 6 th rounder even making the team. But as BB says, it's not how you get here it's what you do when you are here.

The other thing PM gets credit? For is how he is essentially the OC. this is a problem to me. Almost always synergy with others proves to be better than synergy of one. Maybe that's why PM has such mediocre in the playoffs

To me , to be the best you have to be great under pressure, great in all conditions and still great with lesser personnel. And that's TB to me Over PM and othersand it helps that he is tuff, respectful and humble  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Rodimus77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    That ought to do it, unless there are those that believe Manning's defense was bad enough that it forced him to pass and forced him to press.  Example:  Manning' Pick six in his last SB.  Did you know that Drew Brees was on his way to a 25 of 26 finish to the superbowl.  INdy's D could not stop him.  Special teams gave up an onside kick.  If the other area's of team were not going to help, then it was up to Manning. 

Oh - and in 2007 when Brady broke Manning's record, Brady threw 79 more passes than Manning AND Manning sat the final game while Brady played the entire game.  That ought to do it.

[/QUOTE]

Patriots have three Lombardi trophies! Sent your little ponies home twice enroute to achieving them! Outscored your little ponies 82-30 one season during that Dynasty! You're still upset about that! That ought to do it!

[/QUOTE]

Yep, but Peyton Manning is still better than Tom Brady. 

[/QUOTE]

If you want 1st downs and touch downs from week 1-12, yea you're right. If you want a player that wins big games in the playoffs then Brady is better. Stats don't lie.

If winning playoff games and SB's is used as a way to guage which QB is best, one could argue not only is Brady better but Rothlisburger & Flacco are better as well. If I had to pick a Current QB for 1 playoff game and it wasn't Brady I would definitely pick a healthy Flacco over a healthy Peyton Manning.

Tom Brady

Playoff record: 17-7
    Home playoff record: 11-3
    Road playoff record: 3-2
    Non-wild card playoff record: 15-6
    30-30-30 seasons: 0
    Playoff points per game average: 24.75
    Super Bowl appearances: 5
    Super Bowl rings: 3

Peyton Manning

Playoff record: 9-11
    Home playoff record: 6-5
    Road playoff record: 2-5
    Non-wild card playoff record: 6-7
    Playoff points per game average: 23.00
    Super Bowl appearances: 2
    Super Bowl rings: 1

Ben Roethlisberger

Playoff record: 10-4
    Home playoff record: 5-2
    Road playoff record: 3-1
    Non-wild card playoff record: 9-2
    Playoff points per game average: 26.50
    Super Bowl appearances: 3
    Super Bowl rings: 2

Joe Flacco

Playoff record: 9-4
    Home playoff record: 2-0
    Road playoff record: 6-4
    Non-wild card playoff record: 5-4
    Playoff points per game average: 23.85
    Super Bowl appearances: 1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

lets just hope tom Brady's TEAM makes it farther this season than Peyton's TEAM.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lets just hope tom Brady's TEAM makes it farther this season than Peyton's TEAM.

[/QUOTE]

yeap!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please justify how Manning throws 4 more INT's per year than Brady, and how he has equaled or surpassed Brady's high for INT's 8 times in his career.

[/QUOTE]
    Well, I'd tell you that Manning had more pressure on him to produce due to a weaker defense and kicking game.  Plus, I give Manning a bit of a pass for starting his rookie year on the worst team in the NFL.  But beyond that, the int #'s are somewhat irrelevant, given that Manning has a higher passer rating than Brady.  He throws more TD's, has more 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives.  Further, in Brady's 14 years, he's got 2 mvps.  Manning will likely have 5 (all during Brady's career).  Focusing on Ints diminishes everything else Manning has done.

[/QUOTE]

not sure I agree...in the contexted of evaluating his place among the best his entire body of work has to be considered....If we eliminate championships or how each played in the post season from the equasion, we're also narrowing the criteria to fit the argument. a name that is never brought up in the conversation for the best is Terry Bradshaw who won 4 rings with the Steelers playing in an era where the QB was not wrapped in bubble wrap and protected as they are in today's game. 

That said, no one that has a grasp on the history of the position and the merits of weighing both the indidual and team accomplishmants should or could argue that Manning does not belong in the conversation for the best of alltime. Using stats as the qualifier is IMHO given the rules of today's game is flawed and have to be weighted with a historical perspective.

That said the quarterback is seen as the leader of his team and as such how well they play when the bright lights of the post season shine on them, must also to be given weight. This is where Manning's career falls short like it or not the fact is that he's struggled to win in games where the the weather was less than ideal. Throwing interceptions has nothing to do with your defense or running game...

In my lifetime Dan Marino is the greatest pure pocket passer that I've ever seen, including manning, he had arguably the strongest arm of all time, could thread a needle 50 yards downfield, make all the throws and had a very quick release. Marino not unlike many other greats in professional sports never played on a super bowl worthy team. It doesn't diminish his standing as one of the best, but many would argue and I would agree it does eliminate him from consideration for the best quarterback alltime...fair or not...For perspective the Patriots of 2001 led by Brady won with what might well be the least talented team to ever win the Superbowl. Brady belongs in the conversation too. I'm ardent Pat's fan and try to look at it without bias but that's probably not possible. while I don't think he's the best to have ever played the position, he still has 4 or 5 years and time to write another chapter.

If I were to name the best in my lifetime In no particular order...

Montana

Namath

Marino

Fouts

Manning

Elway 

Bradshaw

Brady

Stauback

Unitas 

Kelly 

Starr

Young 

Aikman

Stabler

Farve

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to kman2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Patriots have three Lombardi trophies! Sent your little ponies home twice enroute to achieving them! Outscored your little ponies 82-30 one season during that Dynasty! You're still upset about that! That ought to do it!

[/QUOTE]

Yep, but Peyton Manning is still better than Tom Brady. 

[/QUOTE]

If you want 1st downs and touch downs from week 1-12, yea you're right. If you want a player that wins big games in the playoffs then Brady is better. Stats don't lie.

If winning playoff games and SB's is used as a way to guage which QB is best, one could argue not only is Brady better but Rothlisburger & Flacco are better as well. If I had to pick a Current QB for 1 playoff game and it wasn't Brady I would definitely pick a healthy Flacco over a healthy Peyton Manning.

Tom Brady

Playoff record: 17-7
    Home playoff record: 11-3
    Road playoff record: 3-2
    Non-wild card playoff record: 15-6
    Playoff points per game average: 24.75
    Super Bowl appearances: 5
    Super Bowl rings: 3

Peyton Manning

Playoff record: 9-11
    Home playoff record: 6-5
    Road playoff record: 2-5
    Non-wild card playoff record: 6-7
    Playoff points per game average: 23.00
    Super Bowl appearances: 2

Ben Roethlisberger

Playoff record: 10-4
    Home playoff record: 5-2
    Road playoff record: 3-1
    Non-wild card playoff record: 9-2
    Playoff points per game average: 26.50
    Super Bowl appearances: 3
    Super Bowl rings: 2

Joe Flacco

Playoff record: 9-4
    Home playoff record: 2-0
    Road playoff record: 6-4
    Non-wild card playoff record: 5-4
    Playoff points per game average: 23.85
    Super Bowl appearances: 1

[/QUOTE]

Interesting...pardon my ignorance but what does 30-30-30 represent?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ud6

Merry Christmas to all

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I think this wins the arguement, just the fact that an MVP winning QB can't get past the first round of the plays is every telling to me. 

But seriously UD6 with one more week to go before the playoffs and your teaming having won it's divison shouldn't you be talking bup Luck and the Dolts instead of sniffing Seyton's butt?

If you want to see how PM performs on Super Bowl Sunday this year just call Papa John's and order a Pizza and see how fast he can get it to your house!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it IS fair to ask: switch Brady and Manning 01-04 are those Lombardi's switched too?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

see there is the ol' fly in the ointment of ur point Rod-o: the PATRIOTS have three Lombardis not Tom Brady