Matt Roth, where are you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Matt Roth, where are you?

Any news on this guy? Coming into FA he was everyone's ideal solution for OLB on this team. One D-Line acquisition and two rumors later, everybody has forgotten about him and we're supposedly switching base defenses in a lockout shortened season? Yeah, right...

Doesn't signing him still make some sense given his ability to play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE? Added versatility and depth, no?

Are we that sold on Ninkovich?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Matt Roth, where are you?

There's been zero word about him not even in passing rumors. It's kinda weird actually. I'm wondering if the Pats have a hand shake deal done but since he wouldn't be able to report until the 4th anyways they are just keeping it hush hush for now

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Roth, where are you?:
    [QUOTE]There's been zero word about him not even in passing rumors. It's kinda weird actually. I'm wondering if the Pats have a hand shake deal done but since he wouldn't be able to report until the 4th anyways they are just keeping it hush hush for now
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

You have to wonder why this guy has lasted so long. With so many teams desperate for pass-rushers, you would think that some team would have swept him up by now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

^ He's not exactly a pass-rushers though.... he sets the edge very well, but 3.5 sacks is all for last year and 5 as a career high.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Roth, where are you? :      You have to wonder why this guy has lasted so long. With so many teams desperate for pass-rushers, you would think that some team would have swept him up by now.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Perhaps because he had seven sacks the last two seasons combined?

He seems like an interesting value pick-up, but I have no idea how he went to being the savior of all things pass-rush in NE. Lots of wishful thinking I suppose. At any rate, it is clear that his value here in BDC fora is much higher than his value to coaches in the NFL.

I would still like NE to kick the tires on him, though, because he could be a solid contributor and in a very lackluster crop of 3-4 OLBs he has the best resume and metrics for what NE tries to do to offenses. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Roth, where are you? : Perhaps because he had seven sacks the last two seasons combined? He seems like an interesting value pick-up, but I have no idea how he went to being the savior of all things pass-rush in NE. Lots of wishful thinking I suppose. At any rate, it is clear that his value here in BDC fora is much higher than his value to coaches in the NFL. I would still like NE to kick the tires on him, though, because he could be a solid contributor and in a very lackluster crop of 3-4 OLBs he has the best resume and metrics for what NE tries to do to offenses. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Here's a break-down of the top five teams thought to be interested in him: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/23/free-agency-2011-the-matt-roth-sweepstakes/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

It is weird because effective 3-4 OLBs are hard to come by

Same goes for Manny Lawson.  No rumors on him, either

They don't put up big sack numbers, but Lawson is quietly one of the most complete OLBs in the game while Roth also gets a lot of QB pressures

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Roth, where are you? : Perhaps because he had seven sacks the last two seasons combined? He seems like an interesting value pick-up, but I have no idea how he went to being the savior of all things pass-rush in NE. Lots of wishful thinking I suppose. At any rate, it is clear that his value here in BDC fora is much higher than his value to coaches in the NFL. I would still like NE to kick the tires on him, though, because he could be a solid contributor and in a very lackluster crop of 3-4 OLBs he has the best resume and metrics for what NE tries to do to offenses. 
    Thank you. Not saying the guy is not a legitimate nfl player/starter, but it wasn't long ago when he could of been had on the waiver wire. We need some special players in our front seven, we already have a bunch of average ones.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Lawson is BB's type of OLB, why BB hasn't brought him in is a mystery to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Lawson is BB's type of OLB, why BB hasn't brought him in is a mystery to me.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Well you're assuming his BB's kind of guy, when BB may be in his office saying the guy just doesn't fit and the same goes for Roth...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/defense0731.jpg" alt="" width="525" height="689" />

I would say the OLB spot is the weak point team right now. Cunningham, Nickovich backed up by Murrell and Carter?  I generally like Cunningham but that's 5 career sacks between the group (7 if you include the undersized Fletcher).  BB rarely goes into a season without at least attempting to have a quality backup at each position in case of injuries and there's just not one right on the roster.

So I would say that clearly there is at least one more move pending for the OLB spot...whether that be Lawson, Roth or some other OLB pass rusher.  Most likely, the Pats need to figure out how to get more cap space from Mankins or other areas to find room to sign another free agent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I was wondering the same thing.............he would be a nice adddition!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This is why amateurs shouldn't play GM. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tcal-  I play the Madden video game, that does not qualify me?  JK

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuckItOnce. Show TuckItOnce's posts

Unwanted by 31 other teams.  And this was the guy we were supposed to be hot after?  Too funny. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

After August 4rth BB will bring in a couple of guys. He has too wait for the restructured contracts of Haynesworth and 85 to fall into place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Roth, where are you? :      Here's a break-down of the top five teams thought to be interested in him: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/23/free-agency-2011-the-matt-roth-sweepstakes/
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Nice article on the guy. I think it broke the Roth suitors down pretty well ... and KC does sound most plausible.

Given the fact that NE IS shy one OLB/DE after getting rid of TBC, I am shocked. Also, put into the persective, NE could use him even from a production standpoint. Sure, Roth's career high is an uninspiring 5 sacks ... but (ouch) Cunnigham, Nink, et al ... combined ... have five sacks on their career.

I would love them to sign Roth and come up big like they did when they brought Vrabel in ... just find a diamond in the rough for dirt cheap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He is the greatest mediocre linebacker on the market right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]He is the greatest mediocre linebacker on the market right now.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

+1  lol

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If we stay 34 I agree they need to sign him or someone else, because the guys we have are for one, too short and he would bring some size. I'm not sure this guy is all everyone thinks he is, he's been bounced around and has been on the waiver wire, if I recall. The only thing I know about him, is that he's big and has played in the 34...there's very little footage of him on the internet.

As far as our pass rush scheme and ways of getting to the QB...we were the worst in third down defense last year...the worst, last, can't get any lower. It was not all third and three's or third and one's, there was plenty of 3rd and ten's in there. We lacked play makers in our front seven, we scared no one. We got sacks when people fell down or slipped, when they were confused, blitzed or someone yelled, "hey is that Natalie Portman!?". That's it. Is Matt Roth going to change that? Hopefully Haynesworth will, because we have added nothing to a very lack luster front seven.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Roth, where are you? : Nice article on the guy. I think it broke the Roth suitors down pretty well ... and KC does sound most plausible. Given the fact that NE IS shy one OLB/DE after getting rid of TBC, I am shocked. Also, put into the persective, NE could use him even from a production standpoint. Sure, Roth's career high is an uninspiring 5 sacks ... but (ouch) Cunnigham, Nink, et al ... combined ... have five sacks on their career. I would love them to sign Roth and come up big like they did when they brought Vrabel in ... just find a diamond in the rough for dirt cheap.

I agree with this, he does remind me of Vrabel. Odd man out of a 3-4 scheme, but could come in and add alot to the defense. As King said, 86 tackles is pretty good. He has been a durable, reliable 34 OLB with the ability to play some DE and has plenty of experience, yet is in his prime. Where I might not agree is the dirt cheap part. That could be the prohibiting factor in this, does he chase top dollar? If not, I still think he'd be a great fit. He could be the run stopping OLB and collapse the pocket with the DLine allowing Cunningham, Nink, and Moore to get to the QB. I would not be opposed to a 3-4 Year, $3-4 M per deal for him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Working out in New England

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

[QUOTE]Tcal-  I play the Madden video game, that does not qualify me?  JK
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

im the BB of madden GM's when a guys salary gets to high( i play with the cap on) i trade them away for tons of picks, the bad thing is Madden only allows 12 picks in a single draft.  LOL