Mayo Overrated??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cujo99. Show cujo99's posts

Mayo Overrated??

Opinions certainly welcome, but getting tired of hearing how great this guy is but never hearing his number in any broadcasts.  I too have drank the coolade on him, but do not recall many individual effort plays, not to mention game changers....Used to hear and see the impact of the Bruschi and Vrabel linebacking squad an a daily basis.

Am I just missing it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Mayo Overrated??

I was screaming at the T.V. to put him in the middle!

He has played weakside, strongside, but none in the middle and he is a middle backer. Time to scratch that, and I have been saying it.

Dude aint made a play since the goal line stance in week 2. HE has regressed not playing inside, IMO and yes he is a tad bit overated if people think he is all -pro. Besides tackling, he has brought nothing to the table. He isnt a fierce hitter , doenst get sacks, FF's or INT's.  He is my guy though, but nothing special, like future hall of famer status.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

I see him as a more athletic Ted Johnson.  He's a solid run stuffer and capable pass defender.  Good instincts, good vision, good play recognition, good tackler, good discipline.  He's not a play-maker and will never rack up sacks or INTs, but not every player on defense is going to be a play-maker; a defense needs an anchor like Mayo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mayo is a great tackler and a great read and react player but doesn't have a lot of instincts. You play him in the right position where he can read a play and he's a pro-bowler when you leave him 1v1 with multi choices he has to make a quick decision he gets burned. Much like anything it's location location location

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

No, I think everybody got way ahead of themselves his rookie year when he was still surrounded by veterans.  The next year he was the veteran.  He's a very good linebacker but he was overhyped his rookie season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

He's a solid yet disappointing linebacker. Disappointing because people want to see more Tedy Bruschi out of him and less Ted Johnson -- but as MattC05 said, that's pretty much what he is at this point.

Do I see him as the weakness of this defense? Of course not. But he's no savior, either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo Overrated??:
    [QUOTE]Mayo is a great tackler and a great read and react player but doesn't have a lot of instincts. You play him in the right position where he can read a play and he's a pro-bowler when you leave him 1v1 with multi choices he has to make a quick decision he gets burned. Much like anything it's location location location
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

lots of teams play 1 gap systems where the linebacker simply has to shot that gap and make sure he hits whatever comes through it...the Pats are a read and react two gap defense...Which is why sometimes it seems like we're not as aggressive as we should be or could be...It's why guys like Thomas struggled after having success with the Ravens...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

the thing is though Spikes looks much better inside and if Mayo doenst workout weakside , I wonder what they do going  forward, as his contract is up and he could get decent money, but I dont think he is worth breakin the bank. As much as I like him, he is a glorified T.J. and Spikes may be the nasty presense we need.

Is Spikes being allowed to freelance or is blitzing just not in Mayos arsenal. I would love to know the reasoning as  to why he hasnt played inside the 4-3 all year despite injuries. SHouldnt he be inside and Guyton outside?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo Overrated??:
    [QUOTE]Don't agree.  He's an All Pro AFC MLB. He had a sprained MCL, similar to 2009,  so that cleary has limited his burst and explosion right now. Sheesh. Do some feel Pats players are programmable robots and not humans?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Exactly..not overrated...he is not 100% now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Mayo is not overrated. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah his 11 tackles Monday night didn't help us at all...

Nitpick much?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Mayo is a tackling machine. That might not be flashy, but it has value. Of all the things to complain about on this team, he is one of the very least. Now, as to if he is worth megabucks when the contract is up - nope.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

and he didnt look good before the injury.

That was our best game up to that point on defense with him out.

Im not saying he isnt good, but the question was posed "Is he overrated" and I think if folks are saying he is all-pro then yes he is.

London Fletcher just made his first pro bowl last year,. He has been consistently at the top of the league in terms of tackles.

Tackling is good, but it is the simplest play in football. You get the guy on the ground.

Lewis and Willis are All-pro's.

Mayo looked good in 08, bad in 09, good in 10, bad in 11,. I see a pattern,. He also doesnt have to rush back from injury,. thats his choice.

I watch football all over the league. To be All-Pro, IMO, you need to do more than tackle.  Also , he isnt a big hitter that scares people.  I think Willis is the Top guy who I use to compare. Its not close. He covers backs and tight ends like Cb's.  He hurts people when he tackles. Forces fumbles, gets sacks and sets the tone emotionally. If I had one gripe, I would want MAyo to be more Nasty!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

His value is that he rarely whiffs on a tackle and he's very good in pursuit.  He doesn't give up on plays.  Plus he's making the calls and leading the defense.  He's more substance than flash.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

simple question to all in relation to Babes point.

Would you pay Mayo 5 years at 50 million going forward or release him next year and input Spikes there who is on the cheap for the next 2 years.  Spikes has been the better player this year and his instincts and play in the middle ala Seau has been invaluble and a toughness that we need.  I love Mayo, but im talking in business terms. Remember Wes needs money too

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

The man led the team in tackles last night so you may have had selective hearing last evening.He is a more than just a solid LB'er he is very good LB'er and remember he has been playing hurt much of the year(but isn't everybody?)while playing both OLB'er positions,both of which are new to him this year.He may seldom reach the highlite clips but he's the kind of player you win with.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Rusty, when the market is set, you have to oblige or move on. Its why Patten left, Givens, Branch, etc

Its a business and you should know it,. and if he isnt overated like u said and you feel he is an all-pro then why wouldnt you pay him? You dont think teams will be lining up to get the very first Belicheck drafted backer who was groomed here and would probably flourish in a less complicated system?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

Mayo in not overrated. Fan expectations here are ridiculous.. Fans want 85 bears linebackers. And ed reeds and polamalu in secondary. Grt over it. He made nice stuff on shortyardage at begining of game to prevent first down. He cleeans the middles of the field.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm not going to get into market and contracts on Mayo.  I will say this, I totally agree that he is a tackling machine, mechanically sound and an excellent to outstanding read and react linebacker.  Not sure if his niche is MLB or one of the outside positions but I one of the Kool-Aid drinkers who believe BB will slot him where he'll do the most good.  Spikes return will help Mayo as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

McCourty was on pace for over 100 tackles this year. How has he played?

Edleman had about 5 tackles.  one where he jumped the pile to pad his stats

He makes tackles yes. I dont recall many of them and thats because they were assisted or not big plays and thats fine. He is what he is.
    I think a lot of people refer to him as an all-pro and I stated my reasons why I think he is not. Thats all. Still like him, but I wouldnt pay him as an elite backer. That would hamstring our defense and he isnt a playmaker and we need money for playmakers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Can we round it up as he is a well above average LB with elite tackling ability?

Just not a true game changer, but that solid presence that is smart and always giving it 100%.

Leader in a locker room and great communicator in the front 7?

He may not be Ray Lewis, but he is not easily replaced.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I just dont see why he has played everywhere but inside this year after dominating inside last year.

It could be B.B. thinking that his inside players were former outside backers in college and thus mayo would translate to a better OlB, but it hasnt come to fruition.

I am starting to think they dont want him inside due to his knee injury and someone rolling up on it again, so they dont want him in the trenches??

Cant think of anything else.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Is he rayray or urlacher no is he probably the 5th best mlb in the game ...yes
    Hes a tackling machine and can shoot the gap and make some tackles nothing flashy but 190 tackles is. NOt worth huge money but a guy we need to keep around guyton is very inconsistant