Mayo was fined 21k? Really!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Mayo was fined 21k? Really!

For his hit on Doucet. If I remember correctly, this as the play where the WR got creamed in the middle of the field, initially looking like a fumble, then called an incomplete pass.

He didn't launch, lead ith his helmet...I mean...W T F? He hit him with his chest. Are they just supposed to LET Rs catch the ball?

Outrageous. I don't know how I missed the fine, I just came across it. 21 grand for an effing legal hit. 21 GRAND! That points to some history I'm not aware of.

Gregory for 7800 for hitting Heap late, out of bounds was reasonable....but 21 grand for making a play, legally, without launching or using the crown. The WR was only 'defenseless' because his QB SUCKS! If you throw high, over the middle, this will, and SHOULD happen, every time. It's not up to the defenders to keep WRs safe, that's the QBs job.

I'd deliver it in farking pennies and sit back and watch them count to 2,100,000. D Bags.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Mayo was fined 21k? Really!

Hm. Apparently I'm not thinking of the correct play:

FOXBORO -- Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo was fined $21,000 by the NFL Friday for his big hit on Cardinals receiver Early Doucet in the third quarter of last Sunday's game. Doucet came over the middle to make the catch and held onto the ball after Mayo delivered a crushing blow on the final play of the third quarter. 

Doucet bounced back to his feet nearly immediately and remained in the game and there was no penalty called on the play. The fine was doled out for "striking a defenseless receiver in the head/neck area."

When a guy is several inches shorter, and Mayo can't lower his head, and can't launch....what, exactly, is he supposed to do? Try an arm tackle? Grab a toe? Ask, politely, for him to lay down?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This was arguably the most ridiculous fine of the year so far.  Mayo laid a textbook hit into Doucet that could have jarred the ball loose. There was nothing "defenseless" about Doucet's position and where the ball was, etc. He had the ball!

Goodell is a thief and ruining the game. Fire Goodell.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Goodell was the little geek in school, who cried because the other players hit too hard and therefore couldn't ever make it onto the field. This is his revenge. lol

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When a guy is several inches shorter, and Mayo can't lower his head, and can't launch....what, exactly, is he supposed to do? Try an arm tackle? Grab a toe? Ask, politely, for him to lay down?

[/QUOTE]

Sadly, the answer to your original question: Is he supposed to just let him catch the ball?, is yes.

Your going to come across more and more of these kinds of things as the NFl knee-jerks its way into a becoming the "flag football" league we often joke about around here. Who remembers Donkey Kong Suh being fined for pushing down a scrambling Jay Cutler the same way you would in a game of two-hand touch?

Yes, it's ridiculous and no, we don't like it, but this is the game Emperor Goodell has determined that you want.

How do you like it so far?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

It was a clean hit!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This was arguably the most ridiculous fine of the year so far.  Mayo laid a textbook hit into Doucet that could have jarred the ball loose. There was nothing "defenseless" about Doucet's position and where the ball was, etc. He had the ball!

Goodell is a thief and ruining the game. Fire Goodell.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto

[/QUOTE]

agree 100%.  Irritating but it's only money.  I think teams should maintain a fund to pay these unwarranted fines...