Mayo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

Re: Mayo

In Response to Mayo:
    [QUOTE]This guy is getting killed over the middle in coverage, every week. Is his knee OK? Really? Today he couldn't even keep up with Hillis, a 260 lb running back, hardly afleet of foot. We are very, very, very soft over the middle and Mayo don't look right to me. What's going on?
    Posted by 183CLV[/QUOTE]

Did Mayo play today?  Is this the WWF or what?  Seemed like the fix was in.  Nobody played.  Alot of people took that 4 point spread in Vegas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

You have no idea what you are talking about. The guy is one of the league leaders in tackles. He had a bad game today. So didn't the entire team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

The middle LB's are going to have a bad game when the D line gets blown off the ball most plays. It started up front today. A fair criticism of the LB's would be they didn't tackle well enough. Plenty of blame to go around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

He made several game changing plays last week:

-stopped Peterson on a third down pass play
    -stopped Peterson on that incorrectly called TD
    -he popped Brett Favre in the 1st quarter 

I think he's having a great year. 

In Response to Re: Mayo:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo : I hear that over and over: "Mayo has a lot of tackles!" as an excuse for how great he supposedly is, even though you never see him get a sack, strip the ball, or get a pick.  What exactly is so great about an ILB making a lot of tackles?  To me it means that the D Line stinks at stopping the run, and a lot of RBs get through to the LBs.  So once the RB has 4, 5, 6, 7, yards, then Mayo tackles them.  So that makes him great?   Name the last "great play" that Mayo made?  Where are the big plays?  The game changers?  I'm not saying he stinks, but he's no game changer.
    Posted by John413[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

mayo is one of the best mlb in the league, the entire team played like crap today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

Tackles for inside linebackers are like wins for pitchers. It's not a completely meaningless stat, but it's nowhere near as meaningful as many would have you believe. Mayo played like hot garbage today...And while he's been having a good season, it hasn't been nearly as good as his tackle totals suggest. Too many of his tackles come after being pushed six yards past the line of scrimmage, or after giving up an 11 yard in-cut.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Mayo struggled today. His speed is good and he gets to the point of attack quickly, but he seemed to lack the power needed to really blow up a big back like Hillis.  He's been pretty good in pass coverage this year, I think, but today he seemed to be nowhere near the ball on pass plays.  This may have had to do with defensive scheme and/or the Brown's play calling more than Mayo's talent however. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Mayo couldn't cover a $5 bar tab.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to Mayo:
    [QUOTE]This guy is getting killed over the middle in coverage, every week. Is his knee OK? Really? Today he couldn't even keep up with Hillis, a 260 lb running back, hardly afleet of foot. We are very, very, very soft over the middle and Mayo don't look right to me. What's going on?
    Posted by 183CLV[/QUOTE]

He does his job very well which is what BB expects in his players but you are right he is not a game changer. The Pats are at the moment devoid of game changers on D. Watching Clay Mathews at Greenbay today and there is a game changer also the Giants have plenty on D. There is no real inspirational player on D for the Pats like a Bruschi or a Harrison or Willie Mac. Hopefully some of these young guys develop into 1.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Mayo did not have a good game today.And he is not a teddy bruschi style playmaker hes is more of a solid tackling machine who had an off day. Also to who ever said peyton hillis is "not fleet of foot" in an idiot if you know anything about him he has exeptionally soft hands for a big guy and is an exelent reciever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

ILB's job isn't to get sacks. See, that tells me what you know about ILB. They are to stuff the run, plain and simple. If they are effective, they will get tackles. If they aren't, they won't. Thats why tackles are the best indicator of a ILB performance. Not sacks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

And as far as over the middle goes, that is why most teams sub in Nickle and Dime packages for passing downs. ILB's aren't normally effective in covering slots, TE's, and RB's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]And as far as over the middle goes, that is why most teams sub in Nickle and Dime packages for passing downs. ILB's aren't normally effective in covering slots, TE's, and RB's.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Shhhh. Most people don't know this. So don't break up their delusion.

People seem to think that everyone on the field should play like a HOFer at every position. 

The concept that whatever you can get out of a SS against a slot or an ILB against a RB is a gift is totally missed. 

If Mayo is left on a RB, that  means someone else was missing an assignment (blitzing) that was supposed to make his job easier.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Mayo was great when we had Seymour on the team. That is it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo : I hear that over and over: "Mayo has a lot of tackles!" as an excuse for how great he supposedly is, even though you never see him get a sack, strip the ball, or get a pick.  What exactly is so great about an ILB making a lot of tackles?  To me it means that the D Line stinks at stopping the run, and a lot of RBs get through to the LBs.  So once the RB has 4, 5, 6, 7, yards, then Mayo tackles them.  So that makes him great?   Name the last "great play" that Mayo made?  Where are the big plays?  The game changers?  I'm not saying he stinks, but he's no game changer.
    Posted by John413[/QUOTE]
    He stripped the ball from Hillis yesterday. Not the best time to claim he "never" strips the ball.

He also led the team in tackles which has been acknowledged in other posts as an ILB's main job. You want to see the defense get gouged by the running game? If he doesn't make half of those tackles that usually means the running backs are getting to the secondary and they are making those tackles instead, or they are just letting them score. He is doing his job by taking guys down consistently before they can make plays in the backfield. He struggles sometimes in coverage, but every player has a weakness. Mayo is a solid starting ILB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

Wait, Wait, Wait, someone said in a post that accruing tackles is an ILB's main job? It must be true then, right? I mean they did say it in a post. Give me a break and stop making up crap in order to confirm what you want to believe. Mayo has the most tackles in the league right now. If you think he's the best ILB, then you're not worth arguing with.

Getting tackles is not an ILB's main responsibility; making defensive stops in the run game -- and yes, making plays in the passing game is. Mayo is a good player, but he simply gets pushed off the point of attack more than a lot of us would care to admit. I'm not going to knock him in coverage as he rarely makes a mistake, but he definitely does not have the ability to break up passes as some more elite every down backers (leading to a lot of 8-yard completions with 0 yards after the catch).

As for for those who think he shouldn't be responsible for over-the-middle pass plays because "that's what Nickel and Dime packages are for...Please stop. Apparently these people think we should bring on Wilhite anytime a tight end or running back wants to run a route. The fact is elite ILBs should be and are able to cover running backs and tight ends.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Tackles and sacks are deceptive stats.

Spikes had 4 tackles that went for a gain of 1 yard or less against the Browns.

He's been better than Mayo for the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Mayo has performed very well this season. The reason he had a difficult time against the Browns is because the Browns made a conscious decision to take him out of the game by putting a few big uglies on him, forcing Spikes to make the play from a bad position or come from the opposite side of the field, thus allowing Cleveland to pick up 6.3 yards per rush attempt. They simply took Mayo out of the game, and forced Spikes to step up and make the tackle. Combine this with Cleveland's ability to push around our DL all day and you have a recipe for disaster. 

I think things would have been different if Chung had played and we brought him down to the line, helping us stop the run game. We missed Chung's physical play last week, and given how the Browns manhandled us, we sure could have used him.