Mayock on BB's Draft Approach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Mayock on BB's Draft Approach

In a conference call last week, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock was asked about the influence Bill Belichick and the Patriots have had on the draft. His response:

"It's a copycat league and there's certainly no one right way to go about drafting. But when you have as much success as the Patriots have had, everybody in the league self-scouts, [looks] at what they do right and wrong.

"And they look at New England and ... there's position versatility. There's a premium put on football intelligence and IQ and work ethic. And Bill [Belichick] is a bit of a poker player who likes to move up and down the board based on what his value is; not what he perceives the rest of the league is. But he knows league value; that's why he's able to move around.

"So I think different teams have different comfort levels. Pittsburgh drafts extremely well every year. Kevin Colbert is great. But they don't really move up-and-down. They know what their needs are. They know what their board says and they go by it.

"I think a lot of teams take a look at New England and they get nervous about whether they can move up and down as efficiently as Bill can. And when Bill is in his draft room, there are not many other people. There are not many other opinions. It's Bill Belichick and Nick Caserio and a couple other people and that's about it.

"So I think it's hard to emulate the New England model because there are not as many coaches that wear both hats with the final decision. But certainly, everybody around the league looks at what they are doing, especially on the pure football side, the position versatility, the work ethic, the locker room. I think those are important things that the rest of the league has followed."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Mayock on BB's Draft Approach

Lombardi and Mayock, together, pretty much spell out the way in whcih the Pats approach the draft under BB.  I find the following statement particularly interesting:

So I think it's hard to emulate the New England model because there are not as many coaches that wear both hats with the final decision. But certainly, everybody around the league looks at what they are doing, especially on the pure football side, the position versatility, the work ethic, the locker room. I think those are important things that the rest of the league has followed.

Lots to draw from that both from a GM perspective as well as that of the HC.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yeah, maybe it's just the microcosm of BDC, or maybe Boston is like that itself. But coming from someone who lives nowhere near New England anymore I can tell you that statements such as "Bill Belichick is a bad GM." or "Tom Brady isn't a good QB." (which I hear around here every day), is basically laughable to people who follow football other than the Patriots. Kind of like saying "Polamalu can't play safety" or "Adrian Peterson is a bad RB." any football fan would find those statements absurd. But around here where every pass and every pick are over analyzed with no context to how other teams are doing comparatively it passes as analysis of some sort. Just don't take that analysis on the road or people will think you're a tard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

The draft is a flawed process that provides more failures than successes.  College talent is hard to evaluate in light of the fact that everyone in the NFL was very good in college and the schemes are a lot more complex.  Makes sense to bring in as many bodies as you can to create competition and cushion against injuries.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

It all starts with the "scouts" identifying prospective players with noteworthy skill-sets and measurables preferred by BB.  I would imagine that a separate category exists for players whose production is so conspicuous that they too are mentioned despite having measurables outside the preferred range.

What players the scouts don't identify BB probably doesn't have for evaluation.  At some point laundry lists of graded players are published by other services  and the scouts review possible ommission from their list.

BB then reads overviews of these players and finally reviews their game films.  Players are then graded by BB's criteria and categorized by position. 

Before even reviewing prospective draft choices BB reviews team strengths and weaknesses.  FA, trades and the draft are used to correct team deficiencies according to the talent available.  Depending on players acquired BB now looks to devise an O and D scheme to MAXIMIZE player production while MINIMIZING residual team  weaknesses.

BB sees value in front-line draft-able players as well as ST and quality back-ups for positions vulnerable to injury etc.  I look for BPA without regard to present staffing while BB looks at filling holes and buttressing vulnerable areas.  I see selecting prospective pro-bowlers as fulfilling long term needs but BB recognizes that elite players demand maximum salaries and the "cap" will mean losing many of these "rented" players.

The single most important player is the QB. It follows that his back-up(s) should be worthy as well. This explains why the Pats seem to draft (or sign) a QB almost every year to uncover a "gem" or a future trade commodity.