MAZZ nails it... Pats lack of SIZE at receiver has hurt them in the playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: MAZZ nails it... Pats lack of SIZE at receiver has hurt them in the playoffs

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No lack of size issues with Blount though......

[/QUOTE]

Totally appreciate that ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: MAZZ nails it... Pats lack of SIZE at receiver has hurt them in the playoffs

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

[QUOTE]

I never said a red zone threat. I talked about widening the windows for brady to throw in with edelman and amendola proven perimeter wrs, even if not their strong suit.

it is harder to throw in the red zone because the windows get smaller for the qb.  If the x and z spots are a viable threat, that widens the windows.

no one believes your lies.  You also know nothing about this game either. Lol

[/QUOTE]

Oh, BS!  You said Amendola was taller and more versatile receiver and that he would be a redzone threat. 

You want to put a little wager on this?  If I prove to you by reposting a quote from you showing that you said Amendola would be a redzone threat then you either leave the forum or never respond to another post of mine again.  Deal??

Everyone is getting tired of all your lies, deflecting and hot air around here.  You are a fraud and you know it!

Accept the bet?

[/QUOTE]

I am still waiting for amendola to be any kind of threat. Red zone or otherwise. The playoffs will be interesting with Edelman and KT carrying the load. Can you say run game?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rusty has been telling us since March that Amendola was a taller receiver and was going to be a red zone threat.  SMH!!

Add this to the list of things Rusty has been wrong about.  That list is getting long.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!! Oh my god! This is priceless!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The patriots reliance on small recievers has caused their offense to sputter in the playoffs.  Mazz listed all the leading receivers in recent years.   All big and 1 year it was a tight end.  Last year it was Boldin.

This isn't rocket science.  There is less room to throw the ball in the playoffs .  The defenses are better AND the referees tend to let the grabbing go  to an extent.

THEREFORE you need bigger targets that will fight for the ball in the air.  AKA a guy like Quentin Sims who was on the practice squad for a while and has since disappeared(inexplicably)in favor of AUSTIN frickn COLLIE.

Anybody else feeling this...?

[/QUOTE]

No.  That is a brady apologist deluxe premise.  Patten, brown, branch amd givens were not big.   bald and high pitched mazz exposed.

That is just excuse rolodex city.  Moss was big and we lost sb 42.  Hernandez played in sb 46.  

Brady has never had tall receivers outside of moss akd now dobson at 6'3.

[/QUOTE]

Well say what you want about Givens (who had decent size), Branch, Brown, Patten, but if we have those guys right now, we'd win the Super Bowl this year (well except for the fact that the defense hasn't been rebuilt in the last five years, but who's counting?).

I'm kind of amazed at just how ill informed you are regarding football...are you this bad at cvs?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The patriots reliance on small recievers has caused their offense to sputter in the playoffs.  Mazz listed all the leading receivers in recent years.   All big and 1 year it was a tight end.  Last year it was Boldin.

This isn't rocket science.  There is less room to throw the ball in the playoffs .  The defenses are better AND the referees tend to let the grabbing go  to an extent.

THEREFORE you need bigger targets that will fight for the ball in the air.  AKA a guy like Quentin Sims who was on the practice squad for a while and has since disappeared(inexplicably)in favor of AUSTIN frickn COLLIE.

I don't know if it's a cause in the playoffs, but it's something I would try to correct, and it is something New England has tried to address adding Dobson. 

I've always admired the New York Giants' approach. They always had big targets. The current rules of the NFL make it really difficult to cover this kind of target.

I don't think it's a deal breaker. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is why the Pats won rings with Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Givens as their leading receivers yet lost with Randy Moss... wait, that doesn't work?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

What difference does a WR's size make in a dink and dunk quick hitting offense? Sure it would be nice to have a healthy Gronk out there, but they don't so why lament over what you don't have.  Edelman is 5'10" , Collie is 6', and Amendola 5'11 and the present giant is Thompkins at 6'1", it's not how big they are, but how big they can play on the big stage! Maybe the Patriots will bring either of their receivers from the PS to make up for the loss of Dobson next week if there is one. Losing both Boyce and Dobson would make for an interesting WR corps. All of the guys are pretty much the same type receivers...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's a cause in the playoffs, but it's something I would try to correct, and it is something New England has tried to address adding Dobson. 

I've always admired the New York Giants' approach. They always had big targets. The current rules of the NFL make it really difficult to cover this kind of target.

I don't think it's a deal breaker. 

[/QUOTE]

kinda was a deal breaker last year...   (welker)and the year before (welker)   and Hernandez doesn't count since he was a hybrid TE...   This is about replacing acouple LITTLE GUYS as the focal point of your offense  with a couple BIGGER GUYS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Oscarismydog. Show Oscarismydog's posts

The problem with bringing up the fact that we won with shorter wr's in the past ... is that's in the past. Can it be done, sure. The NFL is very different now then it was 8-12 years ago. It doesn't want to give the defense a fair chance. A bigger wr can/will only help to exploit that.

Like TC said our system is a better fit for smaller, shifty guys like Edelman and Welker. However it's something you obviously want to fix if you can. I think Dobson, KT prove that we're trying to bring in some size. A healthy Dobson would make a huge difference imo. The kid has progressed and shown improvement throughout the season.

There are a bunch of big wr's in this years draft. A few would be a great fit here. Robinson, Matthews, Coleman, Adams, Moncrief and Benjamin to name a few.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is why the Pats won rings with Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Givens as their leading receivers yet lost with Randy Moss... wait, that doesn't work?

[/QUOTE]

..and a back like Faulk..I mean Vereen that can get key screens on 3rd down and a smash mouth back like Smith or Dillon...I mean Blount that can punish and make 3rd and 3 not nessesarily a passing situation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Time for the old school football to take it's toll on another team who isn't very good defensively, heavy doses of the 4 man tag team running the ball down Indys throat and just when Indy thinks it's time for the run, hit them with the play action bomb!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've taken the liberty of emailing the link to this thread to BB.  That should get him back on track.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I've taken the liberty of emailing the link to this thread to BB.  That should get him back on track.

If nothing else he will know where to come for a replacementt when Casserio leaves or when he needs some advice on talent evaluation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If nothing else he will know where to come for a replacementt when Casserio leaves or when he needs some advice on talent evaluation.

[/QUOTE]

Beyond a shadow of a doubt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Mazz has a wife?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mazz has lost it. He's given up his alpha dog status to Felger who runs him and runs the program. 

Mazz has not offered an important take in a very long time - and this "bigger receiver" whine was not one of them. As much as Mazz stunk as a columnist the requirements of working the beat helped him to have some sources. He's now a caricature. 

Watching him concede and agree with every one of Felger's points is sad, it's like watching a sackless man try to proceed with his life. 

Marc Bertrand is the guy on that show that takes issue with Felger and creates at least a semblance of a challenge to Felger's takes which are often ill conceived or exagerrated for effect. 

[/QUOTE]

You're right Mike!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Talk about a no-brainer.  This, literally, has been the talk of the season regarding the receiver corps of the Pats.  They lack size and the ability, IMHO, to "fight" for high catches etc.  Who scares a secondary on the Pats?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok maybe that was a bit harsh, but it seems to me that he's coasted on his rep for years now and hasn't  brought a lot to the table these days.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't work in hard hitting journalism.  He's an entertainer.  I like all of the shows on the SportsHub. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

When does receiver size matter other than on a jump ball?  And how many jump balls do you really expect Brady to throw a game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bingo, we never would have won any of those super bowls without donald hayes and his 6'2 frame cheering on Troy, Patton, Branch and Givens.

[/QUOTE]

Lol!

[/QUOTE]

um david givens was 6-0 and 212#...    Plus he played bigger.   he was physical and had the pipes.   He was strong.    

Sorry he doesn't support your argument.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

When does receiver size matter other than on a jump ball?  And how many jump balls do you really expect Brady to throw a game?

[/QUOTE]

It's not just about jump balls........   Bigger guys can throw a DB off his step at the line of scrimmage and get separation.   In the playoffs Refs allow this type of contact more. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.