McCourty at FS Going Forward?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?

Moore's natural position is CB in my mind. It showed today albeit against Fitzpatrick and the Bills. I feel the combo of Moore/Molden/Arrington/Edelman/Jones at CB is decent and can get it done. McCourty and Chung at safety is the best combo of the year for that position. Ihedigbo shouldn't be seeing the field much hopefully. He's a bigger version of Meriweather (poor tackling/bad angles).

I also think having McCourty play safety gives us some flexibility in how we use Chung..meaning to blitz more as McCourty can cover a lot of field very quickly back there.

This might just be a big BB experiment to see what he has, but honestly I liked the way the D looked in the 2nd half with how BB was using his personnel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry cut and paste:

Bill's WR David Nelson is 6'5" tall, it was a better match up having the taller Molden on him at the line of scrimmage and having a faster free safety to make clean up tackles behind him and Arrington.  I don't think this move is permanent for McCourty, ideally we'll draft a safety or find one in free agency. Unfortunately our safety play outside of Chung is horrid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I agree that McCourty will get more opportunities as a corner, but they may not be until next season.  Him & Chung could be our best duo at safety for the remainder of this year, which would put plenty of pressure on Moore/Molden to hold down the vacant corner position.  No matter who plays where in the secondary, our pass rush will be very important in the playoffs to make life easier on these guys. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

It couldn't hurt - Moore looked good at CB and FS would be a good fit for McCourty's speed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

not sure if I'd say our "strenth" is now at the safety position - after just 1 game vs. a team that lost a whole bunch of games in the second half of the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward?": I wonder what it's like to complain allfuckin day and be a miserable arshole that nobody can stand to be around.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Ask your wife!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : One of the worst posts of the year.  Just horrendous.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Exactly what is so horrendous.That FACT that I said he would be better served at FS (Which ...POOF....which he magically appeared) ....
    ...or the fact that I said it 1st??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]I agree that McCourty will get more opportunities as a corner, but they may not be until next season.  Him & Chung could be our best duo at safety for the remainder of this year, which would put plenty of pressure on Moore/Molden to hold down the vacant corner position.  No matter who plays where in the secondary, our pass rush will be very important in the playoffs to make life easier on these guys. 
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Agree, he could finish the season at safety.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : Yea in case ya don't know, he's so proud of this masterpiece that he felt the need to hang duplicate reprints of his priceless portrait on 2 or 3 seperate forum walls already.  Makes you wonder...(I don't have a second part to this- which just goes to show you the material we're workin' with here)   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Coming from the one who pats heavily upon his own back when randon prediction comes true, then spews forth diarrhea from the mouth in sensless drivel.......I take it as High praise!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Moore's natural position is CB in my mind. It showed today albeit against Fitzpatrick and the Bills. I feel the combo of Moore/Molden/Arrington/Edelman/Jones at CB is decent and can get it done. McCourty and Chung at safety is the best combo of the year for that position. Ihedigbo shouldn't be seeing the field much hopefully. He's a bigger version of Meriweather (poor tackling/bad angles). I also think having McCourty play safety gives us some flexibility in how we use Chung..meaning to blitz more as McCourty can cover a lot of field very quickly back there. This might just be a big BB experiment to see what he has, but honestly I liked the way the D looked in the 2nd half with how BB was using his personnel.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

lifer concur with all of that except keep arrington off the field as a cb. cant cover worth a dime.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

McCourty is NOT a safety, I didnt like it. It worked somewhat because they didnt trust him one on one with Bills Wr's and got tired of watching Idebgho try to play safety, so they moved McCourty to FS to keep him on the field and not ruin his confidence and replaced a incapable S in Idegbho.

He is no Eugene WIlson. Bad angles, and not accoustomed to it, but he may grow into it. I dont like it with his bad shoulder and I thought S.Brown would be a better fit w/Chung.

If McCourty is a FS now, thats dissapointing ,IMO

Also , when did we be become a man on man evry down team?  We were getting lit up, I almost wanna say B.B. created that challenge by going down early. He knew he would get chewed up in man coverage. Another genius move to create a challenge...lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Also, it seems they only had in at fs between the 20's and in the redzone he would go back to CB.  His major problem is on fade routes so not sure of that strategy. Stevie beat him on the fade last game and again on sunday but the throw was off. He has good strait line speed, but on goal line he plays inside technique and bites on the first inside move and then the fade is wide open.

He needs an offseason to work on his technique. He needs to work on it,. as he is NOT a safety, i dont care what B.B. does with him. I was thinking to myself, B.B. is messing this guy all up right now.

I was encouraged by Moore,(didnt even know he was back)

A.Molden was unimpressive and made me want McCourty back at CB.

Molden is not gonna cut it in the playoffs, IMO.

I think this FS move was just one for the Bills and against a real Qb like Big Ben he will be toast even if he does practice it more. He looked lost. Sure he made a few tackles, but he isnt going to play the deep middle and break up passes.

Him as the single high safety was strange. Maybe they like his speed there, but i  would rather Chung is its only one safety.

McCourty needs to play # 2 and stop being overwhelmed by teams best WR, let Arrington play the slot, and put Moore as the # 1 with safety help always. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]Moore's natural position is CB in my mind. It showed today albeit against Fitzpatrick and the Bills. I feel the combo of Moore/Molden/Arrington/Edelman/Jones at CB is decent and can get it done. McCourty and Chung at safety is the best combo of the year for that position. Ihedigbo shouldn't be seeing the field much hopefully. He's a bigger version of Meriweather (poor tackling/bad angles). I also think having McCourty play safety gives us some flexibility in how we use Chung..meaning to blitz more as McCourty can cover a lot of field very quickly back there. This might just be a big BB experiment to see what he has, but honestly I liked the way the D looked in the 2nd half with how BB was using his personnel.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I think this was  the idea as # 32 was the single high as Chung was up in the box to protect incase of draws to Fredy Jackson who killed us last game.

I just dont think its a permanent thing. Thats a waste to put him there. Right now we have no capable safety after Chung, but # 32 aint playing safety next year I hope..We need a real VEt safety and a draft pick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Jay... I like the move and here's why. The S position is evolving more than any other with the rule changes. Speed and ball skills are at a premium back there in passing situations, which buffalo was doing. As you pointed out he replaced ihedigbo who is a liability because of his lack of speed and was nowhere near making a play against the onslaught in the 1st quarter. They made the switch with McCourt and stuck with it for the rest of the game. the results are hard to argue... ZERO points allowed, 4 picks, ... Although BB won't indicate one way or the other... But you have to like the bottom line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Having McCourty convert to a FS position is actually extremely helpful for multiple reasons:

1) Our FS play has been horrible with Slater being the best FS so far this season (Scary huh). McCourty back there gives us a true coverage FS at that position playing to his strengths (zone coverage) while reducing his weaknesses (man coverage).

2) Frees up moves in the off-season. If McCourty moves to FS he also becomes a swing CB. This gives flexibility to either draft a FS saving cap space or adding a vet FS and saving a draft pick. Most of us felt you needed a vet FS and to draft a FS but moving DMC into that FS position eliminates 1 of those needs.

3) Moves Edelman to Nickel/Dime CB. Edelman has been a good slot CB this season but with the log jam of average-good CB's in the secondary there wasn't a lot of room to move Edelman in. Making McCourty a swing FS/CB gives Edelman a spot into the slot CB role

4) Adds depth while adding an additional slot on the 53 man squad. Moore is already a swing player CB/S making McCourty an additional swing players means you can carry 3 full time S's and 4 full time CB's while having the 2 swing players which means you have 9 players in the secondary for a position (DB) we typically carry 10-11 players for while still having a lot of depth

This might be the best move to make if McCourty can make the transition

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Agreed with a lot of DMC@FS supporters.  He's awful this year at CB...for whatever reason.  What's the drop off of him moving to FS in either direction?  None really as far as I can see.  I'd rather see him relax a bit for the rest of this year and focus on simply playing football, rather than trying to fix himself.  This year is a bust for him at CB.  Let him get in there and make a couple plays.

I really liked seeing him come over and level the Bills WR on Buffalo's last drive.  It was a well timed play...one we want to see on a regular basis (one of our DBs coming in and dislodging the ball from the player, laying a clean hit).  It was definitely NOT a penalty and would like to see him play it the same exact way. 

The other safeties...like Ihedigbo are just always out of position, running into each other and hitting our DB more than the receivers.  I give #44 credit for trying to stay out on the field with shoulder injuries mounting each week.  But there's a reason he was primarily a ST player.  Slater is a ST ace and WR, not a safety.  The other guy is just plain horrendous...Sergio Brown.  I do like Edelman playing a bit of safety or nickel CB though.  He made a big adjustment from QB to WR in one year and can mentally handle the position and learning it.  He seems to be a sure tackler and doesn't mind getting his nose in there.  Tough kid.

Back to DMC...i see no reason not to play him at safety.  It's not like the other safeties are leaps and bounds better.  It's not like the other CBs are that much worse. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

McCourty started the game at FS. James maybe got a few goal line snaps where they put #32 back in his CB position.

I feel what you are saying with the speed and all that, but i just dont see him as a fit. I know its one game, but for the future I believe you can get fast safeties who can play the game. I think back when Pete Carrol switched Tebuckty to Cb and he regressed and was setback in his development at Safety. B.B, came in put him back at safety and he made plays.

It may be ok, but believe me I watched him. He wont cut it there too long in the playoffs and we NEED him to play CB. Molden is no good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McCourty at FS Going Forward? : I think this was  the idea as # 32 was the single high as Chung was up in the box to protect incase of draws to Fredy Jackson who killed us last game. I just dont think its a permanent thing. Thats a waste to put him there. Right now we have no capable safety after Chung, but # 32 aint playing safety next year I hope..We need a real VEt safety and a draft pick
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Sergio Brown sucks, dude. I don't know why you keep hyping him up, he's Meriweather without the athletic ability. He even wears the same number, the guy lost his job to Barrett, Slater, Idhedgibo and McCourty. He's not good! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I never said Brown was great, but he did much better than Idengo and actually was there for deep help when he needed to be.

Look,  I know its not ideal and right now # 32 playing FS is working by default(noone better) but if you guys think this is a permanent move, IDK what you are seeing. If you think Chung is injury prone at 225, how long will MCCourty last at 190?  he already got himsefl hurt. This is a temporary bandaid for this year.

They would be dumb to keep him there. He is not Eugen Wilson. His hips are stiff and his angles to the ball were bad. He just wasnt as bad as Ideghho.

I am telling you, he will struggle there. B.B. is gonna make it work, no doubt, but we still NEED a real safety in the offseason, I dont know why people saying we dont have to draft one now. If so, you gonna draft another CB?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]Having McCourty convert to a FS position is actually extremely helpful for multiple reasons: 1) Our FS play has been horrible with Slater being the best FS so far this season (Scary huh). McCourty back there gives us a true coverage FS at that position playing to his strengths (zone coverage) while reducing his weaknesses (man coverage). 2) Frees up moves in the off-season. If McCourty moves to FS he also becomes a swing CB. This gives flexibility to either draft a FS saving cap space or adding a vet FS and saving a draft pick. Most of us felt you needed a vet FS and to draft a FS but moving DMC into that FS position eliminates 1 of those needs. 3) Moves Edelman to Nickel/Dime CB. Edelman has been a good slot CB this season but with the log jam of average-good CB's in the secondary there wasn't a lot of room to move Edelman in. Making McCourty a swing FS/CB gives Edelman a spot into the slot CB role 4) Adds depth while adding an additional slot on the 53 man squad. Moore is already a swing player CB/S making McCourty an additional swing players means you can carry 3 full time S's and 4 full time CB's while having the 2 swing players which means you have 9 players in the secondary for a position (DB) we typically carry 10-11 players for while still having a lot of depth This might be the best move to make if McCourty can make the transition
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

A good post in a sea of many half baked raves...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]I never said Brown was great, but he did much better than Idengo and actually was there for deep help when he needed to be. Look,  I know its not ideal and right now # 32 playing FS is working by default(noone better) but if you guys think this is a permanent move, IDK what you are seeing. If you think Chung is injury prone at 225, how long will MCCourty last at 190?  he already got himsefl hurt. This is a temporary bandaid for this year. They would be dumb to keep him there. He is not Eugen Wilson. His hips are stiff and his angles to the ball were bad. He just wasnt as bad as Ideghho. I am telling you, he will struggle there. B.B. is gonna make it work, no doubt, but we still NEED a real safety in the offseason, I dont know why people saying we dont have to draft one now. If so, you gonna draft another CB?
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I don't think everyone is saying that McCourty should play FS next year, it's just that he's been a liability at CB. Might as well try him out a FS and see how he does. He's a really good tackler who got hurt because his shoulder was in between a receiver's helmet and a Moore's helmet. McCourty is only 10 pounds off Meriweather and Ed Reed. He's not playing the SS position so he doesn't need to be huge, he just has to be fast and make good reads to play FS. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Patseng... Agree. Flexibility is a huge advantage with BB's penchant for throwing different looks out there to confuse QBs. This worked like a charm this week against Fitzpatrick but the question remains whether a better QB with better receivers might have more success. That said, what a great job done by this group. It was interesting that buffalo didn't go after the Edelman matchup... That might mean he's gaining cred around the league as a press corner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

49, thats fair, I have no problem trying him there. I think a lot of folks look at the score and the no scoring in the 2nf half and say Oh, McCourty was great at FS, lets keep him there.

I just didnt see that. McCourty started the Game at FS, so those quick 21 points came with him playing FS. (some think he only played fs in 2nd half)

I saw a guy who was taking bad angles and slow to react what he was seeing. I saw him get beat when he went back to SB on  fade route to Stevie Johnson but the pass was bad. After Stevie scored he was benched which was a big reason for our success as we had noone to cover him.

McCourty was already a reckless tackler for a Cb, so he will get hurt playing FS, its just a matter of when. He already got hurt incase you missed him running into someones knees.

So, while I like the fact SOMEBODY was able to play the position, I still dont like Molden at CB any better than McCourty, and next year I think you get McCourty his confidence back at CB, with strong offseason and camp working on technique.

he is suspect on fade routes and deep routes but it can be corrected, imo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think the move to safety plays to McCourty's strengths. He is good in run support. And does have good ball hawking skills. He brings a lot of speed to the safety position, and can cover a lot of ground. His problem has been in man coverage this year. He gets burned peaking in the backfield too much and loses track of the receiver. On the times he is locked in to the receiver he doesn't look back for the ball, and gives up the big play. He hasn't been good when he's required to use his peripheral vision. He's much better when the play is in front of him. Safety will allow him to keep the play in front of him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]I think the move to safety plays to McCourty's strengths. He is good in run support. And does have good ball hawking skills. He brings a lot of speed to the safety position, and can cover a lot of ground. His problem has been in man coverage this year. He gets burned peaking in the backfield too much and loses track of the receiver. On the times he is locked in to the receiver he doesn't look back for the ball, and gives up the big play. He hasn't been good when he's required to use his peripheral vision. He's much better when the play is in front of him. Safety will allow him to keep the play in front of him.
    Posted by dfitzp[/QUOTE]

Very True, If he improves here this may be his spot, but I think he can still learn safety. They just have to realize that if they go all the way with the safety thing, he most likely cant go back and forth like others have mentioned. His CB would be even worse. So once he is there for a while,. thats it, IMO

Lets see how it shaked out. It would help against passing teams, but other than...

I thought his strenght last year was turning for the ball so I guess im just not sold that he is  a bust as a Cb yet. One great year, one bad year. WHo knows... I think he is playing hurt this year and deserves another shot at CB next year.