McCourty plays FS...Reed/Woodson will not be coming to NE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

McCourty plays FS...Reed/Woodson will not be coming to NE

I haven't been reading much of anything, anywhere lately...but boy, let me tell you, all those clowns on the radio are getting a pant tent over going after Woodson or Reed. Apparently, they fail to see that McCourty, for 2 years now, has played some mix of awful CB and good FS. To sign ANY FS, with the intent of moving McCourty back to CB, at this point, seems totally foolish.

To that end, it is probably time to suck it up, and sign a CB above what the team seems to think the position is worth (ie, draft picks or nothing). THe D, specifically the secondary, played FAR better when McCourty was at FS and Talib at CB. I think it's no coincidence that Talib goes down, and Joe Flacco eventually starts going crazy (once he was allowed to pass). 

Am I thrilled at this scenario? Paying Talib 7-10 per year? No. Could it blow up as Talib becomes Adalius or Moss circa 2010? Absolutely. Sometimes, though, you need to risk it. I'm not a huge fan of risks, however, Tom Brady is old, and getting older. I would be ok with the team going "all in" for the next 3-5 years, make the team top heavy with the understanding that it will come back to bite them, and serious payroll will need to be shed down the road. I have no issue with how they've run the team to date. Branch? Seymour? Samuel? I'm ok with how each and every one of those turned out in the end. Were they all "wins"? No, such is life. But now, with where this team is at, where Brady is at...don't let a holey defense undermine what Brady could achieve. He's already got 3, and 5 appearances, dang near 5 and 7 appearances...sign up Talib, stop getting excited over guys who were making an impact when the Colts were the Colts...before the Pats turned into the Colts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: McCourty plays FS...Reed/Woodson will not be coming to NE

Disagree....you don't destroy the future because of Brady...he's replaceable just like other players.. A little harder of course.....but you try to find a similar talent. Keeping building a well rounded team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Yeah, agree with iceman here, they won't go top heavy, they'll continue to do what they have been doing, yes it wins them a bunch of games, but not enough defense to seal the deal....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I haven't been reading much of anything, anywhere lately...but boy, let me tell you, all those clowns on the radio are getting a pant tent over going after Woodson or Reed. Apparently, they fail to see that McCourty, for 2 years now, has played some mix of awful CB and good FS. To sign ANY FS, with the intent of moving McCourty back to CB, at this point, seems totally foolish.

To that end, it is probably time to suck it up, and sign a CB above what the team seems to think the position is worth (ie, draft picks or nothing). THe D, specifically the secondary, played FAR better when McCourty was at FS and Talib at CB. I think it's no coincidence that Talib goes down, and Joe Flacco eventually starts going crazy (once he was allowed to pass). 

Am I thrilled at this scenario? Paying Talib 7-10 per year? No. Could it blow up as Talib becomes Adalius or Moss circa 2010? Absolutely. Sometimes, though, you need to risk it. I'm not a huge fan of risks, however, Tom Brady is old, and getting older. I would be ok with the team going "all in" for the next 3-5 years, make the team top heavy with the understanding that it will come back to bite them, and serious payroll will need to be shed down the road. I have no issue with how they've run the team to date. Branch? Seymour? Samuel? I'm ok with how each and every one of those turned out in the end. Were they all "wins"? No, such is life. But now, with where this team is at, where Brady is at...don't let a holey defense undermine what Brady could achieve. He's already got 3, and 5 appearances, dang near 5 and 7 appearances...sign up Talib, stop getting excited over guys who were making an impact when the Colts were the Colts...before the Pats turned into the Colts.

The guy they need to spend the dough on is Byrd who's the best SS in he game....I'd also like to see them sign Talib but it could be a case of either or...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Disagree....you don't destroy the future because of Brady...he's replaceable just like other players.. A little harder of course.....but you try to find a similar talent. Keeping building a well rounded team.

lemme know when u find that similar talent

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

didn't say exact talent.........obviously you can't replace a HOF...but you can't sabotage years of the team and weaken it for the future for one person. I don't want to go back to the 1-15 days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

reed and woodson are more of a SS role and would provide good hard hitting vet leadership for the safties we have in wilson, gregory, and ebner

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Righto. Replacing a HOF QB is a "little harder" than replacing other players. Such a little bit harder that many fans have lived their entire lives and died without seeing such a thing happen to their team. 

Prepare yourself for the fall. It's coming your way, and you will then possess knowledge you clearly do not have at this juncture.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Some people are living in a dream. In that dream BB makes even a Mark Sanchez a HOFer. Because that's soooo easy to do if you're a genius.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Some people are living in a dream. In that dream BB makes even a Mark Sanchez a HOFer. Because that's soooo easy to do if you're a genius.

the team will certainly fall off a bit when brady retires....but you act like they will absolutely be a 2-14 team without him.....just a few years ago, they went 11-5 without brady...and yes i know, cassell had a team that was 16-0 and went to the super bowl the year before....but the point is that if you have a strong team, you may be able to live with a less than great qb...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

the team will certainly fall off a bit when brady retires....but you act like they will absolutely be a 2-14 team without him.....just a few years ago, they went 11-5 without brady...and yes i know, cassell had a team that was 16-0 and went to the super bowl the year before....but the point is that if you have a strong team, you may be able to live with a less than great qb...

Just stop with the football ignorance Rustyclone. Anybody with a brain knows the 2008 team had a joke schedule and had a dismal record against winning teams.

I don't act like anything. I never said they would go 2-14. I said they will be MEDIOCRE, because that is what surrounds Brady. That kind of record calls for complete incompetence in decision making, and BB the GM is not completely incompetent.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Just stop with the football ignorance Rustyclone. Anybody with a brain knows the 2008 team had a joke schedule and had a dismal record against winning teams.

I don't act like anything. I never said they would go 2-14. I said they will be MEDIOCRE, because that is what surrounds Brady. That kind of record calls for complete incompetence in decision making, and BB the GM is not completely incompetent.

yes the 2008 team didnt have a hard schedule....but its not the afc east has gotten much better since then anyway....if the afc east continues to be as bad as it is currently, then the pats could still be competitive for the division even after brady retires. obviously HOF qb's dont grow on trees, this one was a 6th round pick and the patriots got pretty lucky....but im not going to be upset if BB continues to build the team for the future. he has already locked up gronk and hern for long after brady retires, and he has done a good job in developing young players on the defense....mayo, DMC, spikes, love, jones, hightower, cunningham, etc.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

yes the 2008 team didnt have a hard schedule....but its not the afc east has gotten much better since then anyway....if the afc east continues to be as bad as it is currently, then the pats could still be competitive for the division even after brady retires.

The AFCE isn't that bad. The only significant difference between the Pats and the rest in recent years is Brady.

Competitive for the division? So what? Were talking about winning SBs here, not divisions.

Whatever we can scrape up after Brady is only going to reduce our chances of winning a SB, Rustyclone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

NE had back to back west coast trips in 2008, TWICE. Also, the strength of schedule argument is moot in this day and age. It's taken from the previous year's winning% and there are plenty of teams who can go from 6-10 to 12-4 from year to year.

It was like an annual thing in the NFC a few years back, for example.

No such thing as an "easy" schedule in the NFL anymore. Parity, Goodell's rules, etc.

More football brilliance from the dumbkoff. Schedules don't matter now. You really suck at this junior.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

yes the 2008 team didnt have a hard schedule....but its not the afc east has gotten much better since then anyway....if the afc east continues to be as bad as it is currently, then the pats could still be competitive for the division even after brady retires.

The AFCE isn't that bad. The only significant difference between the Pats and the rest in recent years is Brady.

Competitive for the division? So what? Were talking about winning SBs here, not divisions.

Whatever we can scrape up after Brady is only going to reduce our chances of winning a SB, Rustyclone.

winning super bowls? they havent done that since 2004.....and a big reason has been brady's poor play in the playoffs. do i want them to win super bowls? yes, but if they can field a title contending team while building for the future, im all for it.

18. This post has been removed.