Mccourty sophmore slump?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?

Well, too early to say it will be a sophmore slump, but it's a start.  I'm sure he'll be a very good player.  As good as he was last year, I noticed later in the year teams were throwing his way more than you would expect.  He will be a stud when all is said and done though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

McCourty has played against two #1 receivers and they have each had big statistical games against the NE D. I know he doesn't guard these players every play (Dowling, Arrington, etc), but the stats don't lie. From what I saw with my own eyes, McCourty was in good position due to his good recovery speed and quickness, but he doesn't match up physically with big receivers. This is a basic premise, McCourty is 5'10", less than 200 lbs. Do we really expect him to shut down two 6'4"+, 230 lb receivers? I dont...

As for the remainder of the season, if he stays healthy -- of course, I expect him to be our best cover corner, plain and simple.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

today, i saw him get beat on the side ine for a long gain becasue he tried to battle for the ball. if i remember correctly, being forced out does not matter anymore (per rules chage) - if the receiver lands outside, pass will be called incomplete. why doesn;t he just push the receiver whiel the reveiver is in the air?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

simply put, devin does not belong on the biggest baddest receiver.
    ras i is the best 1 on 1 cover on the pats at the moment. bb needs to change his habit of playing one guy on one side and one on the other and letting the defense dictate the matchups. dowling or bodden on the biggest monster receivers all game would be more successful.
    i know ras had a thigh injury. obviously when he is available.
    we may have to bring a corner in. who we got on ps?
    arrington concussed. not that i want him doing any coverage anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

further as i mentioned on another thread his jam is ineficient and just makes him have to persue from behind. he needs to work his technique in the jam.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

Gotta gree with you on DMC. HE shouldn't be on the biggest strongest baddest receiver. He's not strong enough. We need Ras I to play these guys. Hope he's OK. He's wont win many back shoulder interceptions even when he's covering well. He doesn't win the jump balls. Having said that, Jackson is awesome. Great hands of glue and strong. He catches everything in reach. Tough for any CB, but not an excuse. Give Dowling the go on these guys. Maybe he should play the star role and leave Bodden and Dowling outside for a game ot two.

seattlepat70  was also right about pushing the receiver out...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?:
    [QUOTE]Gotta gree with you on DMC. HE shouldn't be on the biggest strongest baddest receiver. He's not strong enough. We need Ras I to play these guys. Hope he's OK. He's wont win many back shoulder interceptions even when he's covering well. He doesn't win the jump balls. Having said that, Jackson is awesome. Great hands of glue and strong. He catches everything in reach. Tough for any CB, but not an excuse. Give Dowling the go on these guys. Maybe he should play the star role and leave Bodden and Dowling outside for a game ot two. seattlepat70  was also right about pushing the receiver out...
    Posted by noahsark99[/QUOTE]
    noah,
    re:
    " He's wont win many back shoulder interceptions even when he's covering well. He doesn't win the jump balls"

are you referring to mccourty or dowling?
    jsu twanted to read you right.

peace

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

He was in there fighting for every ball.   Once Floyd was out, it was a foregone conclusion they were going the other way.  He got beat some, but in general was at least in coverage.  Should make Plaxico coming to town interesting.  At least we are seeing big receivers early, it should give us time to work out the issues.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

But Mccourty he had a better rookie season than Nnamdi and Revis so he's as good as them.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Really? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

McCourty is playing one on one out on an island against a Pro Bowl QB and receiver tandem and now he's slumping?  The hardest job in football is cornerback, the one TD Vincent Jackson shouldn't have happened because Arrington should have lowered his shoulder and lit him up.  It couldn't have been defended any better by McCourty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]He was in there fighting for every ball.   Once Floyd was out, it was a foregone conclusion they were going the other way.  He got beat some, but in general was at least in coverage.  Should make Plaxico coming to town interesting.  At least we are seeing big receivers early, it should give us time to work out the issues.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

The one positive is that Plaxico doens't have the speed these other two guys have. It reduces some of the pressure. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

2 things from me on  Mccourty.

# 1 is he def. is struggling a bit in year 2 being the # 1.  According to status and money Bodden should be the # 1, but he is battling some injuries and really only played yesterday a lot because of Ras getting hurt.  McCourty does play big, but he is only 5' 10" and going against 6'4" guy last week and 6'5" guy yesterday and besides that he is a tad late turning to look for the ball.  I chalk that up to needing more reps and being rusty, I am not seeing D.Butler 2.0 here.

Relax!

# 2 even though he has struggled some in coverage, he has made up for it with physcial play at the line.  He blew up the fullback on one play, allowing a backer to make the tackle.  70 % of cb's dont make that play.  He also sticks his nose in there whenever needed and should be recognized for that.  All in all we will be fine after these high powered offenses go away...but next week Stevie Johnson will be someone to contain...but not many 7 foot guys so thats good.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? : Absolutely.  His rookie year blew theirs away.  Asomugha's team gave up 38 points last night.  Watch the rest of the league for once, Tommy. Can anyone point to what McCourty did wrong?  I saw a guy play solidly against a really, really good WR. You can't blame him on the 1st TD. You can only cover for so long.  I guess we could act like it was awful. lol IMO, not much else he could have done against an all pro WR in single coverage.  The play ran for a good 6 seconds.  Not his fault. And the other TD? As if that wasn't a great throw/catch by Rivers/Jackson? It's almost pointless even talking about these games with irrationals.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Exactly! DMC is playing fine. People are just knit-picking. He also made one hell of a Deion Branch/Troy Brown Heads-Up type of Patriot play tackling Tolbert from behind before he could strip Wilfork on the int return. He earned a penalty on this play & in live time, I was thinking why did he do that? he took us out of fg range...but when you watch the replay you could clearly see Vince holding the rock like a loaf of bread & Tolbert closing in with a clinched fist looking to punch it out. Smart play by DMC..

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? : Absolutely.  His rookie year blew theirs away.  Asomugha's team gave up 35 points last night.  Watch the rest of the league for once, Tommy. Can anyone point to what McCourty did wrong?  I saw a guy play solidly against a really, really good WR. You can't blame him on the 1st TD. You can only cover for so long.  I guess we could act like it was awful. lol IMO, not much else he could have done against an all pro WR in single coverage.  The play ran for a good 6 seconds.  Not his fault. And the other TD? As if that wasn't a great throw/catch by Rivers/Jackson? It's almost pointless even talking about these games with irrationals.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Make up your mind Rusty. The best DB's don't ever get beat. You said it yourself. He played sub par both games in a row. It's not hard to see from the stands. Mccourty is a good DB who hasn't played that well in 2 games. Period.

21. This post has been removed.