Mccourty sophmore slump?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?

I really don't see where this is coming from.
    Statistically he was the best defensive player on the field.
    He was picked on, as some have mentioned, because he was mostly playing without help and freed up safeties to help elsewhere.  That's huge!
    As if he needs an excuse, which he doesn't, all defensive players are at a disadvantage this year with no pre season and extremely limited full contact practices.
    And , if i hear one more person say he dropped an interception in the end zone, I'm going to pull out what's left of my hair.  How about, he was in position, broke up a pass and prevented a TD.  Isn't that his job?
    Kudos to Dowling for starting and holding his own, but that takes nothing away from DMc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I wouldn't call it a "slump."

I would call it the realization that now, as an established quality NFL corner, he's almost always going to be matched up with the other team's best WR. In those one-on-one battles between top WRs and top corners, the top WR almost always gets a few good plays in (witness Dez Bryant beating Revis a few times last Sunday night, but Revis getting the last laugh in the fourth quarter).

McCourty will still be a top-flight corner this season, but we may see him get "beat" a few more times than we did last year because he'll be matched up one-on-one every week with some of the game's best WRs. Look for Vincent Jackson to make a few plays against him on Sunday, in fact--but that doesn't mean McCourty will have a "bad" game either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Marshall did what Marshall does best, make circus catches that are close to indefensible regardless on who is on the guy.

Didn't McCourty shut Marshall down three plays in a row in the red zone? I remember a series of fade routes to Marshall where McCourty was in coverage and Marshall came down with exactly zero of them.

A sophomore slump? No way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

holding Marshall to 60 something yards and no TD's seems like a good day to me. I wouldn't see that as a slump.

I don't think you can write off the whole year saying he's in a sophomore slump because he's not shutting down Marshall in the first game. 

I am not a fan of comparing him to Revis either. Revis is the best corner in football and you want him to be that too? I think that's a bit to much to ask for.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

he did not play well and i'm pretty sure rivers will light him up

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump?:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't call it a "slump." I would call it the realization that now, as an established quality NFL corner, he's almost always going to be matched up with the other team's best WR. In those one-on-one battles between top WRs and top corners, the top WR almost always gets a few good plays in (witness Dez Bryant beating Revis a few times last Sunday night, but Revis getting the last laugh in the fourth quarter). McCourty will still be a top-flight corner this season, but we may see him get "beat" a few more times than we did last year because he'll be matched up one-on-one every week with some of the game's best WRs. Look for Vincent Jackson to make a few plays against him on Sunday, in fact--but that doesn't mean McCourty will have a "bad" game either.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

the pats didnt match him up on mccourty, miami sent marshall his way. they targeted him. he proved to be a better matchup than ras i. ras i was not getting beat by marshall. mccourty got manhandled and thrown around with no  off pass interference calls. still he didnt do bad. just not as good as i believe he will do later in the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OriginalPudge. Show OriginalPudge's posts

How many teams have a CB they are confident enough in to put on Brandon Marshall without safety help?  Not many I imagine.  McCourty is 5'11" and around 190 lbs. while Marshall is 6'4" 225, believe McCourty handled himself.  That is a luxury in itself.  McCourty is a good football player and Im glad to have him on the team.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

[QUOTE]I really don't see where this is coming from. Statistically he was the best defensive player on the field. He was picked on, as some have mentioned, because he was mostly playing without help and freed up safeties to help elsewhere.  That's huge! As if he needs an excuse, which he doesn't, all defensive players are at a disadvantage this year with no pre season and extremely limited full contact practices. And , if i hear one more person say he dropped an interception in the end zone, I'm going to pull out what's left of my hair.  How about, he was in position, broke up a pass and prevented a TD.  Isn't that his job? Kudos to Dowling for starting and holding his own, but that takes nothing away from DMc.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

This may have been mentioned somewhere else but it really looked to me like McCourty had that interception but Chung knocked it out of his hands which is why McCourty was so up set. He had the ball in his hands and it was knocked out by his own teammate. He's not the cement hands type.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

After one Game?

C'mon guys...its called rust.  He didnt play until late in preseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]he did not play well and i'm pretty sure rivers will light him up
    Posted by McFEETers[/QUOTE]

Like playing devils advocate much...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? : Who had a better rookie year, Revis or McCourty? Revis really isn't the "best" CB in football. Dez Bryant showed us why he isn't the other night. There's a handful of uber elite CBs and McCourty is right there in that discussion if he has a season like he had last year.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Do you just make stuff up because players are on a team you don't like? Revis IS the best DB in the game and gave up 1 catch to Dez Bryant. Did you even watch the game?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]He had help over the top. Yes, I do watch the games. Cromartie didn't and Dez abused him. Why is this made up? McCouty's rookie year BLEW AWAY Revis;s in 2007. By 2008, we heard Revis was the best CB in the game and then we see people like Tedd Ginn lighting him up in 2009. The fact is,  there is no Deion Sanders, Mike Haynes, etc, in this league right now. There's an aging Bailey, Revis, Woodson, Asamougha etc, and a handful of really nice CBs who are younger and don't have the name recognition. Charles Woodson was considered a BUST in Oakland and it wasn't until the last few years did he get his due. So, if McCourty's rookie year was better than Revis and Revis got this end all be all tag as "best in the league" in 2008 by the NY media, why doesn't McCourty get it? I don't care. I am just asking why you let the NY media lead you along.

What part is that he gave up 1 catch to Dez and actually none for the final 3 quarters don't you get? Those are facts. Sorry to break the news.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

That's your response to lying about Revis getting burned by Dez in the game? Try again please. Try to use some facts. I actually watch football games and programs that break down games. Then again you thought KC is the real deal because they beat a bunch of scrubs last year LOL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? : Who had a better rookie year, Revis or McCourty? Revis really isn't the "best" CB in football. Dez Bryant showed us why he isn't the other night. There's a handful of uber elite CBs and McCourty is right there in that discussion if he has a season like he had last year.

Revis and Asomugha are the Brady/Manning of cornerbacks imo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Mcfeeters is in danger of becoming a second CommunistContrarian with this numbnut thread...lol...

McCourty did a great job on the mentally defective, yet football talented Marshall Monday night....sophomore slump? BWAHAHAHAHA...someone doesn't know much about football, methinks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mccourty sophmore slump? : Revis and Asomugha are the Brady/Manning of cornerbacks imo
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

Champ Baily's no slouch either...

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Note the imo, Rusty...I'm not saying McCourty is bad, I just think Revis and Asomugha are better players as I'm sure a lot of other Patriots fans do as well

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I'm not basing it off of their rookie years. I'm basing this decision off of how they play today. Revis and Asomugha have been playing at this level for years where as DMC has only done it once. I'm just hesitant to put a second year player in the same category as guys that have been arguably the best for a few years. If McCourty plays at the level he did last year for a couple more years then he should be in the discussion with those 2 (among others) by all means. I like to see the consistency for more than one season before judging him against the league's elite