McNabb McMess Could Hurt Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: McNabb McMess Could Hurt Patriots

I think with Oak's OL McNabb will be crushed and on the sidelines injuried wihtin the first couple games. Not a big deal. They might be better off with the tackle size Russell.

Not to mention their real only downfield threat (Bey) couldn't catch the ball if it was a toliet paper roll.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

At a glance, McNabb looks like a perfect fit in Oakland. His numbers last year (22 TDs, 1- INTs, 3,553 yds and a 92.9 arbitrary number that means nothing) seem to indicate he's still one of the league's best passers, and the Raiders certainly aren't going to make him wet his pants with any playoff expectations. But you have to ask yourself -- if McNabb is still among the game's elite quarterbacks, why are the Iggs in such a hurry to dump him? Does Andy Reid know something the rest of the world doesn't about Kevin Kolb (who has, himself, been the subject of much unsubstantiated trade gossip)?

Frankly, it looks to me like the AFC Worst is getting . . .  well . . .   worse, not better, and as bad as Oakland is, it might be a .500 team by accident. McNabb would be a great pickup for the silver and black, and that right there should be all you need to know to tell you that Al won't do it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

you know what, this is a really good point. mcnabb is still a good player and an excellent leader. its not impossible to think that mcnabb and seymour bring some confidence and real leadership to this team and actually help to get some of those players like heyward-bey, mcfadden and all of their other under achievers to lay better. i dont think they would be a playoff team but they could certainly be middle of the pack, which would be a real let down for us. of course there is no guarantee and mcnabb and big sey could both go down by week 3. plus oakland would be losing their best player in the trade (i'm not going to attempt to spell his name). 
    however, i think we all agree that if russell is oakland's QB this season they are a bottom 3 team...and thats what we need!! maybe if this trade looks imminent or goes down the pats should really look into trading the pick for use in this years draft some how...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Donovan McNabb is a QB and he is a leader,is a great passing QB? I don't think he will be on anyone's all-time passing lists. He could at one time beat you with his ability too run the ball but those days are probably long gone.. The Raiders would have give up at least their 2nd rounder too acquire him and in my opinion he's not that big a difference maker. So the Raiders would still be a second tier team. 5-11 would be a good season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from docmartin72. Show docmartin72's posts

Do the Raiders actually have ANY picks left, or have they traded them all away for Al's fantasies?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I wouldn't rule out Buffalo, McNabb did play his college ball at Syracuse University. He could be reunited with Terrell Owens, lol.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/368502-mcnabb-to-owens-in-buffalo

I agree if he signs with Oakland he would make them at least a .500 team overnight. That would be bad.

Oakland picks: 8(1st rd) 39(2nd rd) 69(3rd rd) 106(4th rd) 138(5th rd) 158(5th rd) 215(7th rd) 251(7th rd).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Leave it Al to make the wrong moves at the wrong time for NE.

Trading for McNabb is a short fix for a team that needs more than a QB -- i.e., it needs to replace the reserve army of "speedy" busts with excellent triangle numbers that are clogging the bench and the payroll. It needs OL bench juggernauts to start panning out. Or better yet, it needs replace the philosophy that prioritizes physical attributes over football acumen.

I think McNabb is the most underrated QB of his generation. However, he merely improves the Raiders into a one and done team -- at best -- while further diminishing their stock of future picks needed to shore of the world's best full-contact 40 yard dash team (if only the NFL had opted to decide overtime with a 100m relay, says Al).

However, it also would scr3w New England by moving their selection to the middle of the pack or later.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"if only the NFL had opted to decide overtime with a 100m relay, says Al"

z, being a former sprinter, that I'd like to see!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: McNabb McMess Could Hurt Patriots:
    Do the Raiders actually have ANY picks left, or have they traded them all away for Al's fantasies?
    Posted by docmartin72

doc:

The Raiders own the following overall picks in the upcoming draft: #8, 39, 69, 106, 138, 158, 175, 215, and 251. The 39th overall pick alone should be enough to land McNabb.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yep, don't want to see this happen. We probably get a top 5 pick as they are now, with McNab somewhere around 12. To bad we chose the pick for next year, this draft looks pretty good, and I don't want to waste another season of Tom's career.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I was thinking the exact same thing. Leave it Al to make the wrong moves at the wrong time for NE.

RESPONSE: Agreed. Adding McNabb makes the Raiders the second best team on paper in the relatively weak AFC West. Furthermore, keep in mind that the QB-challenged 2009 Raiders played the best team in their division, the San Diego Chargers, very tough last season.  

Trading for McNabb is a short fix for a team that needs more than a QB -- i.e., it needs to replace the reserve army of "speedy" busts with excellent triangle numbers that are clogging the bench and the payroll. It needs OL bench juggernauts to start panning out.

RESPONSE: Should the Raiders land McNabb, my guess is that they'll select a bodyguard (OT) for him, with their 8th overall pick.

Or better yet, it needs replace the philosophy that prioritizes physical attributes over football acumen. I think McNabb is the most underrated QB of his generation.

RESPONSE: Agreed. McNabb has led his Eagles to several NFC titles games, and to one SB. He is a more deserving candidate for Hall of Fame consideration than were current HOF inductees, Warren Moon, and Dan Fouts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan_McNabb,
    and http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2009/08/10/why_donovan_mcnabb_is_vastly_underrated.php 

...he merely improves the Raiders into a one and done team -- at best -- while further diminishing their stock of future picks needed to shore of the world's best full-contact 40 yard dash team (if only the NFL had opted to decide overtime with a 100m relay, says Al).

RESPONSE: Agreed that McNabb could lead the Raiders to the play-offs. As stated in my original post, he'll have some weapons at his disposal on offense...and he'll be backed up by a pretty good defense. 

However, it also would scr3w New England by moving their selection to the middle of the pack or later.

RESPONSE: Z and All...the Raiders reportedly offered the Pats their #1 pick in 2010 in the Richard Seymour deal. But the Pats reportedly insisted on their #1 pick in 2011. Understanding that hindsight is always 20/20, wouldn't the Pats have been better off accepting the Raiders' #1 this year? Who could the Pats have added with the 8th overall pick? Could they have traded down? Did the Pats outsmart themselves?

I know that the Pats didn't want to shell out the huge dollars currently necessary to sign a top ten pick...and were thinking that a rookie cap would be in place by 2011. But, what if its' not? Don't the Pats need immediate help? Can they afford to "waste" another Brady year, by strapping him with a talent-wise inferior team in 2010?    

Posted by zbellino

Thoughts?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on McNabb: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100327/SPORTS02/3270358/1022/McNabb-unfazed-by-trade-talk

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Calm Down........This is in no way ever going to hurt the Patriots. First you guys who are shouting out stats need to remember one thing, Coaches in this league for the most part know all about Mcnabb.
    His Leader skills are not that great considering his own team mates including 1 WR already in Buffalo that knows hes a choke artist and gives up under pressure. Thats just a proven fact over the years. So when it comes down to it he may get you some wins but for the money he will always choke or be injured.
    Now with that said, the one team that may take him for a rebuild process would most likely be Buffalo, although Al Davis has made many unusual moves, what is he willing to do to get DM? I see him going to Buffalo.
    The point is, stop worring about it, until the day after the draft, all the speculation and worrying is going to do is give you an upset tummy and give you gas, and while sleeping your going to pass that gas. Then your wife or girlfriend is going to smack you upside your head and all for what? Worrying about Dumb Dumb Mcnabb? Let Al Davis worry about him, BB will put his usual spin on this draft and hopefully we get some players that can play. Now calm down, drink a beer, watch the Matrix and chill. Free your mind Neo, FREE YOUR MINDUndecided

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I posted this possibility first, a few days ago, thinking that he would go to Oakland and hurt our chances of a getting a high pick.

There are two elements that most of you here aren't discussing:

1) He can complicate any deal to any team if he doesn't work out a contract. No team is going to give up a top 42 pick knowing they're only renting McNabb for one season.

2) Can he and will he exercise that power knowing that he's an aging veteran and that there's a possible lockout looming in 2011?

Just for kicks, there's a third element:

3) Philly now pretty much HAS to move him because it's not going to be pretty if they keep him with him knowing that they tried hard to dump him. It's one thing for Philly fans to want him out but it's another thing for team to bench you two years ago and then try and trade you. Only to bring you back and say "we wanted you this whole time"

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I posted this possibility first, a few days ago, thinking that he would go to Oakland and hurt our chances of a getting a high pick. There are two elements that most of you here aren't discussing: 1) He can complicate any deal to any team if he doesn't work out a contract. No team is going to give up a top 42 pick knowing they're only renting McNabb for one season.

RESPONSE: I don't see that as much of a hurdle. McNabb knows that the Eagles want him out, so they can go with Kevin Kolb...and that he's fallen out of favor with the unruly Philly fans. He also knows that the Eagles will not extend his deal. Who wants to play where you're not appreciated? Why risk injury to play in Philly for another year, without the extension?

The Raiders are desperate. They'll pay him top dollar. Furthermore, they'll likely agree to a trade, whether or not they can get him to agree to an extension. Why not? They traded a #1 draft choice to the Pats for Richard Seymour, who, like McNabb, was in the final year of his contract. Then, they slapped the franchise tag on him. Why wouldn't they do the same for "The Don"?    

2) Can he and will he exercise that power knowing that he's an aging veteran and that there's a possible lockout looming in 2011? Just for kicks, there's a third element:

RESPONSE: What power is that?

3) Philly now pretty much HAS to move him because it's not going to be pretty if they keep him with him knowing that they tried hard to dump him. It's one thing for Philly fans to want him out but it's another thing for team to bench you two years ago and then try and trade you. Only to bring you back and say "we wanted you this whole time"

RESPONSE: Agreed. This is why I believe he'll be traded before the draft. Oakland, to me. logistically makes the most sense. No way McNabb will play in Buffalo. San Francisco has Alex Smith, and have signed re-tred David Carr to a fairly lucrative deal. The Packers are waiting for Favre (although they probably would be better off offering their second round pick to Philly, to get the younger McNabb). Arizona has Matt Leinart, and the newly signed Derek Anderson...which leaves the QB desperate Raiders.

Don't believe that the Raiders are desperate for an upgrade at QB? This from Mike Lombardi:

"From what I hear, the Donovan McNabb trade talks
    center on two teams: the Bills, who have an interest but are concerned about McNabb not having an extension in place, and the Raiders, who are looking at every quarterback option. A team executive told me the Raiders and Vikings are discussing the availability of backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels. Trading Rosenfels would only happen if the Vikings know for certain that Brett Favre is coming back."

If the Raiders are inquiring about the wily ol' Sage, you know they're desperate.  

Posted by apdynasty23

That said...does anyone think that the Pats, in hindsight, made a mistake in the Seymour trade by passing on the Raiders #1 pick in 2010, for their #1 in 2011?  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an excellent article, summing up the McNabb McMess: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100328/SPORTS02/3280385/1022/Mosher--McNabb-s-future-not-in-Eagles--hands

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I can't see Mcnabb going to oakland, maybe some other team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I could see McNabb going to the Raiders and making that top ten pick a top 15 pick. Al is pretty desperate to start winning football games as opposed to the scouting combine Olympics. Mc Nabb is very good player nearing the end of a career. I never understood why fans in Philly wanted to throw him under a bus (something you could easily do with Ricky Williams without batting an eyelash) every time they lost. At this late stage in his career Mc Nabb's ability has slightly eroded and he could become another Iggles castoff that succeeds elsewhere (Dawkins, Shepperd...), but he will need the talent around him. The Raiders have a mediocre OL and slightly above average defense. The coaching is still very bad. The Raiders might have some decent players, but I don't think they go from worst to first just because McNabb has chosen to become the black hole's savior.

Schefter is reporting this too, therefore I have to take it a little seriously. I can see this happening, but the Eagles will try to rake Al over the coals first. The Raiders are more than just a few draft picks away from legitimacy.

What would it cost the Raiders to get Mc Nabb ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tex, I agree this move looks like a possibility but you may be looking at it wrong. Now, take a look at this schedule and tell me where we have to worry about our pick next year; Home Away Indy Pitt Hou Tenn Mia Jac St L Ari Sea SF Den Den KC KC SD SD Outside of the two I highlighted where do the wins/.500 come from even with him?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Thanks for the info., Sam. The Raiders do appear to have a tough schedule...having to play the AFC South teams. But, who knows what the inconsistent Jags, Texans, and Titans will bring to the table? Playing in a relatively weak division as they do, McNabb could make the Raiders a contender in the AFC West. St. Louis, Arizona, Seattle, San Francisco, Pittsburgh (with the problems their having), and Miami, with McNabb, are winnable games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on the possibility of McNabb to the Raiders: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/eagles/20100329_Report_from_Raider_Nation__Donovan_couldn_t_hurt.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Is Donovan McNabb the most disrespected QB of all time? You be the judge: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kriegel-philadelphia-eagles-donovan-mcnabb-032910

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to McNabb McMess Could Hurt Patriots:
         I'm sure that you've all heard the rumors that Philadelphia Eagles' QB, Donovan McNabb, is on the trade block. The 33 year old McNabb is in the final year of his contract...and the Eagles have Kevin Kolb waiting in the wings...not to mention the erstwhile Michael Vick, a/k/a Ron Mexico, panting on the sidelines for more playing time.       When brainstorming about who could be a possible trade partner for the Eagles, the Minnesota Vikings top the list, provided of course that Brett Favre finally decides to hang 'em up. But...coming off a pro-bowl season, and coming so tantalizingly close to a SB appearance, my guess is that Favre will return. But, even if he doesn't, when will it be known? Can the Eagles afford to wait until the "Decisive One" reaches a decision, sometime this Summer?       Negative! The Eagles want to trade McNabb soon, in order to reap extra draft choices from what is widely considered to be the deepest draft in years. So...who would that leave them for a trade partner? It's unlikely that the woeful St. Louis Rams will deal their very high second round pick for the aging Donovan. Arizona seems to make sense, after having lost Kurt Warner to retirement. But, the Cards have a lot of time and money invested in Matt Leinart. They have also signed veteran QB Derek Anderson as an insurance policy, should Leinart crash and burn. The Buffalo Bills are a possibility in theory...but I don't see "The Don" willing to agree to a contract extension to play in the NFL's answer to Siberia.       Who does that leave? The desperate Uncle Al, and his Oakland Raiders. The Raiders have some weapons in WRs Louis Murphy, and alleged field stretcher, Darrius Heywood-Bey. Young RBs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush have tons of untapped potential. All that seems needed is a competent "trigger man", running the offense:  http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_14767639        JaMarcus Russell has just reported in at a svelte 290 pounds. Uncle Al has seemingly never gotten over his man-crush on former Raider QB, Daryle "the Mad Bomber" Lamonica...and nobody throws a better deep ball than McNabb. The Raiders have the draft picks...Uncle Al has the money...the weather is much better than in Philly...the AFC West is nowhere near as competitive as the NFC East...and that the Raiders are desperate to find a good QB, and forge their first winning season in years. Thus, Oakland seems to be "The Don's" most plausible landing spot: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100327_McNabb_draws_interest_mostly_from_the_Raiders.html      But...how could this hurt the Patriots? Acquiring McNabb could all but ensure that the Raiders would become at least a .500 team in 2010. The Patriots own Oakland's #1 draft choice in next years' draft, which, to this point, most consider will be a top 10 overall pick. But, if the Raiders improve, the pick obviously looses some of it's value.        Here are McNabb's career stats: http://www.nfl.com/players/donovanmcnabb/profile?id=MCN017517      Thoughts?     
    Posted by TexasPat3

Aw, come on, Tex!

No mattrer what, the Pats will have the Raid-uh's #1 next year. When the Seymour trade went down, I'm perfectly sure that the Pats didn't force Uncle Al to "guarantee" that they would not try to improve the team for two seasons (last year and the 2010 season).  If they want to give away the farm for an aging choke artist in crunch time, let them. How's the 20111 draft shaping up? Where's the Heisman winner going? There are unknowns to what may/can/could happen in 2011. The "known" factor is the Pats have the Raid-uh's #1 pick, unless they trade it away.

We can look for and find a conspircy theory in everything. In this case, you've come up with one based on an owner's need to improve his team.  Let's reverse this and say the Pats fell on hard times (again), ansd saw a way to improve the team by making a trade that would "mess up" some other team. What's the underlying factor for the Pats? Improving their team, NOT giving a rat's pitute about his their deal impacts any other team(s). 

But, I will admitt that your scenario has merit if Uncle Al tradedany player with any kind of ability to the AFC East (NOT including the Pats) in return for 3rd-7th round choices.  Until  4/2011, let's just sit back, see what this year's draft brings, and how the season/playoffs unfold.  Even if Uncle Al pulls the trigger on this potential deal, a lot can happen over the coming 6-10 months that would allow, potentially, the Pats to trade up from where the Raid-uh's pick will be.

Ya just never know.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Sam: You stated the following:

I have to agree he (McNabb) be just what they (the Raiders) need, but I wonder how long it'll take to swing them around. I'll give you the Jags as a possibility,

RESPONSE: I like that Raiders plus "The Don" over the Jags. 

I don't agree with Hou,

RESPONSE: Houston is, and has always been, wildly inconsistent. Though he managed it last year, I'm still not sold on the ability of Matt Schaub to remain healthy for a second full season in a row. The Texans have issues on their OL, and in their secondary.

I gave them St Louis, I agree with Arizona as another possibility without Warner,

RESPONSE: The Cards should consider going after McNabb. But, to do this, they'll have to send off Matt Leinart...in effect getting nothing for their huge investment on the former USC star QB. I don't see their tight-fisted owner, Bill Bidwell, signing off on this. They also have signed former Browns' QB, Derek Anderson.   

I gave them Seattle, SF is getting stronger under a good coach so I don't see them winning that one.

RESPONSE: With McNabb, I like the Raiders' chances over the QB challenged 49ers.

Pitt will either be a blow out or a real close game depending on Ben.
    I do agree with Miami too, I think much like the Jets D the Fins aren't sneaking up on many people next year giving them five, maybe six wins next season.

That's four, I really can't see them doing any better then that. So maybe the question will Det, St L, Sea, Mia, Jax... have worse records??
    Worst case we'll have the fifth-right?

RESPONSE: Sam, with all due respect to our buddy JBolt, the AFC West is a relatively weak division. With McNabb, I see the Raiders sweeping the Chiefs, and splitting with the Chargers and Broncos. Thats' 4 wins...plus the 4 your give them...means that the Raiders with McNabb will be at least a .500 team.