Meriweather has message for Marshall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Meriweather has message for Marshall

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9893116/brandon-meriweather-washington-redskins-rips-brandon-marshall-vows-target-opposing-players-knees

Meriweather He feels like I need to be kicked out of the league. I feel like people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out of the league, too. ... You tell me who you'd rather have? Someone who plays aggressive on the field or someone who beat up their girlfriend?"

I'm sorry but this is too funny...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Meriweather has message for Marshall

He makes a good point...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Marshall has BPD, so Meriweather's comments are ignorant and short-sited. 

This is about the last thing Marshall, or anyone with BPD, needs. That's not to excuse Marshall's actions, but there is a legitimate reason that he acts how he acts. It's a shame that there isn't a greater awareness with regards to psychological conditions. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is about the last thing Marshall, or anyone with BPD, needs. That's not to excuse Marshall's actions, but there is a legitimate reason that he acts how he acts. It's a shame that there isn't a greater awareness with regards to psychological conditions. 

[/QUOTE]

There is no excuse for domestic abuse. 

If he opened his mouth about Meriweather being kicked out of the league, than he should be man enough to a lick back... he started it bro.  Period. 

screw both of them IMO. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I got nothing

lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If he opened his mouth about Meriweather being kicked out of the league, than he should be man enough to a lick back... he started it bro.  Period. 

screw both of them IMO. 

[/QUOTE]

And this is where your understanding (or lack thereof) with regards to BPD becomes evident. That's not a personal attack, simply stating that it's apparent that you aren't aware of the effects of BPD. 

All sarcasm aside, take a Psych 101 course if you ever get a chance. It's worthwhile and will change your perspective.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

screw both of them IMO. 

[/QUOTE]

And this is where your understanding (or lack thereof) with regards to BPD becomes evident. That's not a personal attack, simply stating that it's apparent that you aren't aware of the effects of BPD. 

All sarcasm aside, take a Psych 101 course if you ever get a chance. It's worthwhile and will change your perspective.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch.. well like I said, if you open your mouth you better be able to take one back.  I stand by that. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't much care what someone has been diagnosed with, you don't beat your girlfriend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

It is not ok to beat up your GF but it is ok to shoot people with guns.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Regardless of where you stand on these young players (I stated my point of view repeatedly during the AH drama this summer and got lambasted for who is running the asylum comments) how does a guy like Merri, or Pouncey (who the Pats desperately wanted to draft) or AH sit in an interview with BB, and then BB drafts them anyways, or wants to draft them but someone takes them earlier? Can a guy like Merri really sit there for a 1.5-2 hour discussion/interview and pull the wool over BB's eyes? I would loved to have been a fly on the wall when he sits down with these guys. Does BB simply not see what these guys are? Does he not care?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regardless of where you stand on these young players (I stated my point of view repeatedly during the AH drama this summer and got lambasted for who is running the asylum comments) how does a guy like Merri, or Pouncey (who the Pats desperately wanted to draft) or AH sit in an interview with BB, and then BB drafts them anyways, or wants to draft them but someone takes them earlier? Can a guy like Merri really sit there for a 1.5-2 hour discussion/interview and pull the wool over BB's eyes? I would loved to have been a fly on the wall when he sits down with these guys. Does BB simply not see what these guys are? Does he not care?

[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, Belichick falls in love with a player and that's that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From what I've read, Belichick falls in love with a player and that's that.

[/QUOTE]

News Brunswick must be a very romantic town.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Look it doesn't matter what Marshall did, in regard to Meriweather coming out with a statement like "you've got to tear ACL's" is pure and absolute idiocy. How on earth did he ever go for a first round pick....is that all you need to be a wild head hunting safety and be aggressive to the point it's unnessessary. 

Obviously i'm not condoning domestic abuse but it's completely irrelevant in terms of this conversation it's like calling  Hernandez a terrible player because he's a murderer, one has no relevance to the other. Marshall is a great player and Meri is not i'd much rather have Marshall in the league regardless of what he's done. I'd say 60% of the league deal with some kind of off field issue during their career anyway

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Taking away Marshalls mental illness I thought it was spot on and hilarious what Meriweather said back to him.

And please don't ask me if mental illnesses and hitting Women or funny to me, they are not, they are very serious.  I just thought it was a great comeback from Meriweather.  That might teach Marshall to keep is mouth shut.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Taking away Marshalls mental illness I thought it was spot on and hilarious what Meriweather said back to him.

And please don't ask me if mental illnesses and hitting Women or funny to me, they are not, they are very serious.  I just thought it was a great comeback from Meriweather.  That might teach Marshall to keep is mouth shut.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was getting at, but I was told to school myself on BPD....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why is it when people with mental illness act out it's always in a negative, destructive, violent or antisocial way?

You never see random acts of kindness from mental people or hear of people with Turrets shouting out compliments.  What's up with that?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Pretty good jab by Merriwether.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't much care what someone has been diagnosed with, you don't beat your girlfriend.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Why is it when people with mental illness act out it's always in a negative, destructive, violent or antisocial way?

You never see random acts of kindness from mental people or hear of people with Turrets shouting out compliments.  What's up with that?

That's why it's called mental "illness".

You're looking for philanthropists. 

And I'd imagine that people with "turrets" wouldn't be shouting compliments -- clearly they've armed themselves will high-powered weapons. Can't imagine a friendly, warm person doing such an extreme thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

Agree.. 

More ignorance... sheesh. 

A mental illness isn't an excuse for domestic violence, nor is it a reason to condone it.

It is, however, a reason that explains the behavior, and should be addressed to prevent future issues, and understood to prevent such uninformed, hateful opinions, like the many expressed in this thread.

Expecting a person with BPD to be entirely friendly, cooperative, and easy to get along with (in a relationship of any kind) is like expecting a dyslexic to read some the finest literature in the world without stuttering, or expecting someone with muscular dystrophy to be a professional athlete. It is literally impossible for them without treatment -- they cannot control it. It can be managed and improved, but it isn't simply a matter of "self-control". They can't control it -- that's what makes the illness they have, an illness. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm really not sure where you're going here? Meriweather is a headhunter of sorts on the field, something that even as recently as when he was drafted was accepted, desired and even celebrated. I don't have to start listing the safeties who are legend, do I? It's not because of their coverage skills.

So, I don't think that mentality is a negative in almost any talent evaluator's eyes, and it definitely wasn't when he was drafted. He was a natural successor to Harrison. The game has changed in the last two or three years, and Meriweather doesn't seem to have a governor.  And maybe he's not as good of a football player as they thought. 

But I'm not at all sure how an accused murderer fits in to this, or Pouncey, or how they are relevant to Meriweather, at all?  Would a Harrison or a John Lynch be able to get through an interview these days?  Do they play too rough? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was getting at, but I was told to school myself on BPD....

[/QUOTE]

You are a good guy, I know you didn't mean anything bad.

I have learned to always provide a caveat with my message so nobody misunderstands my position, lol!!

BTW, dreighver is a good dude too!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't much care what someone has been diagnosed with, you don't beat your girlf

Agree.. 

[/QUOTE]

A mental illness isn't an excuse for domestic violence, nor is it a reason to condone it.

It is, however, a reason that explains the behavior, and should be addressed to prevent future issues, and understood to prevent such uninformed, hateful opinions, like the many expressed in this thread.

Expecting a person with BPD to be entirely friendly, cooperative, and easy to get along with (in a relationship of any kind) is like expecting a dyslexic to read some the finest literature in the world without stuttering, or expecting someone with muscular dystrophy to be a professional athlete. It is literally impossible for them without treatment -- they cannot control it. It can be managed and improved, but it isn't simply a matter of "self-control". They can't control it -- that's what makes the illness they have, an illness. 

[/QUOTE]

DREIGHVER

I have experienced symptoms of BPD.

1) It is never cool to beat anyone, male or female.

2) Just because someone has BPD does not mean others should have to understand it (including Merriweather), it is up to the person with BPD to learn to understand the world better. That is the beginning of learning to be accountable for one's actions.

3)People with BPD can get better with the proper help. The most effective treatment was developed by Marsha Linehan PhD. using skill training modules to learn to tolerate extreme uncomfortable emotions so they are not acted out destructively. Treatment is difficult but it is helpful. Google her if you want more info.

4) We all need help from time to time!   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't much care what someone has been diagnosed with, you don't beat your girlf

Agree.. 

DREIGHVER

I have experienced symptoms of BPD.

1) It is never cool to beat anyone, male or female.

Agreed. I made this clear in my post(s). I'm simply saying that BPD can explain Marshall's actions. His having BPD doesn't condone his actions, nor does it make it acceptable. It is simply an explanation. Obviously treatment is needed and help should be sought if violence is becoming problematic.

2) Just because someone has BPD does not mean others should have to understand it (including Merriweather), it is up to the person with BPD to learn to understand the world better. That is the beginning of learning to be accountable for one's actions.

I agree with your statement with regards to personal accountability and responsibility. No doubt the sufferer bears the responsibility to become informed about their illness and seek treatment. That said, I believe that others need to be aware of the condition as well. Well, at least before they comment on the issue. If folks want to be entirely ignorant with regards to BPD, or other mental illnesses, that's totally fine. But if they want to chime in on the topic, or share their two-cents, I believe they are obligated to be informed before doing such a thing.

3)People with BPD can get better with the proper help. The most effective treatment was developed by Marsha Linehan PhD. using skill training modules to learn to tolerate extreme uncomfortable emotions so they are not acted out destructively. Treatment is difficult but it is helpful. Google her if you want more info.

This is good to hear. I knew treatment had some affect, but I'm glad to hear it coming from someone with direct experience.

4) We all need help from time to time!   

Agreed! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A well stated opinion from an employee who has never hired anyone - thank you for your suggestion box entry!