Merriweather + 1st round pick --> Eric Berry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Merriweather + 1st round pick --> Eric Berry

Could the Pats somehow package Merriweather, who's coming off of his first Pro Bowl season, albeit as a second alternate, with a first round pick to move up in the draft?

He's an above-average safety who I think might be playing in the wrong system for his talents.  He's a good athlete.  I think a package of Merriweather plus a pick or two would give a team a serviceable safety and added value from the picks for the Pats to move up.

I just think that if Eric Berry is the second coming of Ed Reed, the Pats should pay any price to move up in the draft to take him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Re: Merriweather + 1st round pick --> Eric Berry

LOL!  won't happen.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

I agree  getting Meriweather has been a mistake. His performance, late in the past season, was especially unsatisfactory, if not awful- blown coverages. He continues to think "his way" of playing, as "the way". I read here that a season
    ticket fan saw him, in 2 different games, during play, both he and Wilhite, talking to each other,just before the ball was snapped by the opposing team, and making motions, keeping beat to music coming from the stands. Since he has been with the Patriots, he has exhibited immaturity, on more than one occasion. This conduct is not acceptable, I am certain by BB,. as well as other team mates. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

This would be very interesting!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Merriweather + 1st round pick --> Eric Berry:
    I agree  getting Meriweather has been a mistake. His performance, late in the past season, was especially unsatisfactory, if not awful- blown coverages. He continues to think "his way" of playing, as "the way". I read here that a season ticket fan saw him, in 2 different games, during play, both he and Wilhite, talking to each other,just before the ball was snapped by the opposing team, and making motions, keeping beat to music coming from the stands. Since he has been with the Patriots, he has exhibited immaturity, on more than one occasion. This conduct is not acceptable, I am certain by BB,. as well as other team mates.       
    Posted by jaycee1m

Sorry, but you are incorrect...If you don't know what play is called, how do you know that he blew the coverage?  I have heard from many retired NFL guys saying that you can't tell who blows coverages (especially Safeties) if you don't know what plays are being called.

I have never seen him singing and dancing right before he whistle.....have you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Merriweather + 1st round pick -- /> Eric Berry : Sorry, but you are incorrect...If you don't know what play is called, how do you know that he blew the coverage?  I have heard from many retired NFL guys saying that you can't tell who blows coverages (especially Safeties) if you don't know what plays are being called. I have never seen him singing and dancing right before he whistle.....have you?
    Posted by m1021us

Hell yeah!! The guy thinks he's disco duck in between plays. You ever been to a game before? The guy looks like a bonna fide thug out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Agreed.  Maryweather has got to go.  Get rid of Maroney too and the ring is ours.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Merriweather + 1st round pick -- /> Eric Berry : Sorry, but you are incorrect...If you don't know what play is called, how do you know that he blew the coverage?  I have heard from many retired NFL guys saying that you can't tell who blows coverages (especially Safeties) if you don't know what plays are being called. I have never seen him singing and dancing right before he whistle.....have you?
    Posted by m1021us

Merriweather blew the post route against the Carolina Panthers on which the Patriots gave up a touchdown to Steve Smith.  Smith ran a post while the tight end ran a deep in route right in front of him.  He bit on the in route leaving the cornerback out to dry by himself on the post.

It was the almost the exact same play on which the Saints scored a touchdown the week earlier to Robert Meachem, another play that Merriweather blew by biting on an underneath route.

There are very few plays on which a free safety is supposed to abandon the deep zone to bite on underneath routes.  Especially given the struggles of our cornerbacks, I HIGHLY doubt that they would leave anybody in isolation except Leigh Bodden (for the record, Shawn Springs was covering Smith on the Carolina touchdown; Wilhite was covering Meachem).  Furthermore, the Patriots' philosophy is to make opponents execute long drives and beat themselves with mistakes while not giving up the big play and the easy score.  There was no excuse for Merriweather to let anything get behind him.

He's physically gifted and he's shown flashes of becoming a ball-hawk, plus he made his first Pro Bowl last year, but I'd still just as soon package him with two or three picks for the chance to draft a perennial All-Pro like Eric Berry.  I think somebody with a high pick might like Merriweather enough to take him and a couple more picks in a deep draft in return for their top-10 pick and the chance to draft Berry.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Bring in a rookie and get rid of a talented safety who is coming into his own=NO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Merriweather + 1st round pick --> Eric Berry: And just think.... We had a shot at both Beason and David Harris in that slot and choked.

Could the Pats somehow package Merriweather, who's coming off of his first Pro Bowl season, albeit as a second alternate, with a first round pick to move up in the draft? He's an above-average safety who I think might be playing in the wrong system for his talents.  He's a good athlete.  I think a package of Merriweather plus a pick or two would give a team a serviceable safety and added value from the picks for the Pats to move up. I just think that if Eric Berry is the second coming of Ed Reed, the Pats should pay any price to move up in the draft to take him.
    Posted by NickC1188

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Merriweather had a better first half year than second half. In the second half of the year he seemed less inclined to tackle runners, seemed late to help cornerbacks even with his solid speed, and got fooled as noted above. Now it is time for him and his coach to make adjustments to the adjustments that clearly the other teams made to him. Or trade him for a better talent; he actually seems to me better suited for corner back although he's not quick enough for that; but not smart enough (yet?) for safety.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Bring in a rookie and get rid of a talented safety who is coming into his own=NO
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

I absolutely agree.  

Couple of other points: If the Merriweather's play is as bad as depicted by some then why would any other team want him?  If, on the other hand, he's an effective safety who is improving then why trade him for the draft rights to an unknown (and if he's never played a down in the NFL he's an unknown).  And I would ask you to name a safety in the NFL who's never blown a play.  I've seen Ed Reed make mistakes.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I'm sorry but this is absolutely ridiculous.  In essence you're giving up 2 first round picks, including one that is ALREADY proven, for an unproven prospect.  That's more than you'd get for some proven franchise quarterbacks.

The difference in talent between Meriweather and Berry being worth equal to a player like Sergio Kindle or Dez Bryant, or Brandon Graham or whoever.  No, not even remotely close.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

And the level at which Meriweather has become a scapegoat on this board is also ridiculous.  He was part of a collective (lack of) effort that led to a number of big plays by the opposition in the second half of the season, and takes all the blame.  He deserves some, but he's improved each year and half way through the season was considered possibly the BEST safety in the AFC so far.  He will continue to improve.  Let's focus on some ACTUAL issues for this team...DE, OLB, WR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I too would love Berry in a Pats uniform. Unfortunately without any inside knowledge I'd bet this trade just won't happen.

I believe in Merriweather and think he will learn and become a special player, but I think Berry will one day be the best at his position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Merriweather + 1st round pick -- /> Eric Berry : people throw the term "thug" around here very loosely. FYI BLACK SKIN TATTOOS AND DANCING DOES NOT EQUATE TO THUGGERY
    Posted by ricky12684

HOW ABOUT STOMPING ON A GUYS HEAD DURING A GAME IN COLLEGE. MAYBE HE WAS JUST PRACTICING SOME OF HIS DANCE MOVES. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Merriweather + 1st round pick -- /> Eric Berry : people throw the term "thug" around here very loosely. FYI BLACK SKIN TATTOOS AND DANCING DOES NOT EQUATE TO THUGGERY
    Posted by ricky12684

Your good guy, misunderstood, shouldn't be judged because of dreds and tatties player is the guy stomping on the player on the ground. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jWWC_ozN7E&feature=related