MERRIWEATHER AT CB...can he be worse than Butler and Arrington??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

MERRIWEATHER AT CB...can he be worse than Butler and Arrington??

Why do you think they wouldnt at least of tried it out in practice?Give him a few reps in the Bills game(Butler had I think 4 total plays)?? I know thet tried him at cb after being drafted but its been 4 years...he knows the system and he has not been starting...Im not sayin try that this monday(only if we are blowing them out so he can get a feel...like A rookie) Why DIDNT they at least try a few plays?? He played cb for the U.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: MERRIWEATHER AT CB...can he be worse than Butler and Arrington??

Some questions are best left unasked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I think Arrington was thrown at twice.

Once, he was in man-coverage and he broke up the pass, and the other time he was playing a soft zone and he gave up an 8 yard button hook.

I don't think we should bench Arrington - he played pretty well last game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joerock22. Show joerock22's posts

It's an intriguing thought, especially since he doesn't seem to be playing much at safety.  But when Meriweather was at his best last year, he was flying all over the field making plays.  It's hard to do that at CB. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm with vertigho on this one.  Arrington did nothing at all to show that he didn't belong out there.  In fact, they threw at McCoutry more than at Arrington.  As was pointed out to me on another thread, this was also due to the receiver McCoutry was covering.  That said, Arrington played well out there.  He did nothing at all to merit criticism.  He'll get another test this week.  Maybe we'll get lucky and find out the kid can play well.  At least wait for him to look bad before wanting to replace him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Merriweather played a lot at safety Joerock. 

CB Devin McCourty – 56 of 56 
    LB Jerod Mayo – 54 of 56 
    CB Kyle Arrington – 52 of 56 
    S Patrick Chung – 50 of 56 
    S Brandon Meriweather – 40 of 56 
    DE Tully Banta-Cain – 37 of 56 
    CB Jonathan Wilhite – 37 of 56 
    DL Vince Wilfork – 35 of 56 
    OLB Rob Ninkovich – 31 of 56 
    LB Gary Guyton – 29 of 56 
    OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham – 28 of 56 
    DL Gerard Warren – 28 of 56 
    S James Sanders – 27 of 56 
    DE Ron Brace – 25 of 56 
    DL Mike Wright – 22 of 56 
    ILB Brandon Spikes – 21 of 56 
    DL Myron Pryor – 18 of 56 
    S Jarrad Page – 13 of 56 
    OLB/DE Shawn Crable – 9 of 56 
    CB Darius Butler – 4 of 56 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

In Response to Re: MERRIWEATHER AT CB...can he be worse than Butler and Arrington??:
    [QUOTE]I think Arrington was thrown at twice. Once, he was in man-coverage and he broke up the pass, and the other time he was playing a soft zone and he gave up an 8 yard button hook. I don't think we should bench Arrington - he played pretty well last game.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

NO BASH TO ARRINGTON...IM SAYIN WHY DIDNT THEY GIVE HIM A FEW PLAYS...HE PLAYED CB AT THE U...ARRINGTON WENT UNDRAFTED I THINK.......WHY NOT SINCE BUTLER WAS GETTING KILLED. THAT WAS MY ?????   IM NOT SAYIN START HIM.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: MERRIWEATHER AT CB...can he be worse than Butler and Arrington??:
    [QUOTE]Merriweather played a lot at safety Joerock.  CB Devin McCourty – 56 of 56  LB Jerod Mayo – 54 of 56  CB Kyle Arrington – 52 of 56  S Patrick Chung – 50 of 56  S Brandon Meriweather – 40 of 56  DE Tully Banta-Cain – 37 of 56  CB Jonathan Wilhite – 37 of 56  DL Vince Wilfork – 35 of 56  OLB Rob Ninkovich – 31 of 56  LB Gary Guyton – 29 of 56  OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham – 28 of 56  DL Gerard Warren – 28 of 56  S James Sanders – 27 of 56  DE Ron Brace – 25 of 56  DL Mike Wright – 22 of 56  ILB Brandon Spikes – 21 of 56  DL Myron Pryor – 18 of 56  S Jarrad Page – 13 of 56  OLB/DE Shawn Crable – 9 of 56  CB Darius Butler – 4 of 56 
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

As the game progressed BB moved to Meriweather more. BB doesn't think he's a bad player, he just wants him to play to his potential. Arrington didn't have a bad game. The Pats got burned in the zones, they need to work on that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Agreed, it's more to motivate than to demote. They need Merriweather hawking the secondary to be a good D. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MERRIWEATHER AT CB...can he be worse than Butler and Arrington?? : As the game progressed BB moved to Meriweather more. BB doesn't think he's a bad player, he just wants him to play to his potential. Arrington didn't have a bad game. The Pats got burned in the zones, they need to work on that. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think if Merriweather were the answer at corner, we'd have already seen him there.  BB clearly understands we're weak at corner and he's always been interested in asking players to be versatile and try different positions.  Why would he ignore Merriweather if he thought Merriweather could play corner?

My own opinion is that Merriweather isn't disciplined enough to play regularly in BB's defense.  Any guy who freelances too much is going to be benched.  Sanders is starting because he's reliable, even if he lacks top talent. Merriweather has the physical talent to make big plays--but if he's out of position he's also going to give up a lot of big plays, and BB isn't going to tolerate that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I've actually been saying that for a while, you put him at CB a position he has played before and you shorten the field for him and give him a smaller area to cover or go man to man.

He's got the speed but a good point is made, he is not disciplined and regardless what position he plays if he is supposed to cover an area and he does his own thing.  In this D a guy is responsible for a specific assignment if he's not there the whole D is vulnerable. 

Arrington did not look too bad but can he hold that up?  It was the Bills, I hope Butler gets his confidence back quickly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

MERRIWEATHER is totally undisciplined.  The worst thing that happed to him was going to the Pro Bowl by default.  He really believes he is good.  He is playing his game, and not a team game.  He refuses to stay where he is supposed to be on a play.

He looked like a moron on the pass play that Spiller scored from abut the 5 yard line.  He went inside, and Spiller walked into the end zone.  Merriweather stays outside where he belongs, and Spiller doesn't score.

Not the brightest bulb in the lamp. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]I think if Merriweather were the answer at corner, we'd have already seen him there.  BB clearly understands we're weak at corner and he's always been interested in asking players to be versatile and try different positions.  Why would he ignore Merriweather if he thought Merriweather could play corner? My own opinion is that Merriweather isn't disciplined enough to play regularly in BB's defense.  Any guy who freelances too much is going to be benched.  Sanders is starting because he's reliable, even if he lacks top talent. Merriweather has the physical talent to make big plays--but if he's out of position he's also going to give up a lot of big plays, and BB isn't going to tolerate that.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I won't deny that he's not the most disciplined defender, but he actually played more than Sanders last game. His benching won't be a season long ordeal, I won't be surprised if he isn't back in the starting line-up after the BYE. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]MERRIWEATHER is totally undisciplined.  The worst thing that happed to him was going to the Pro Bowl by default.  He really believes he is good.  He is playing his game, and not a team game.  He refuses to stay where he is supposed to be on a play. He looked like a moron on the pass play that Spiller scored from abut the 5 yard line.  He went inside, and Spiller walked into the end zone.  Merriweather stays outside where he belongs, and Spiller doesn't score. Not the brightest bulb in the lamp. 
    Posted by CaptChris[/QUOTE]

This most be the new cool thing on this board now that Maroney is gone, pick on Brandon. That's one bad play so far this season, name another. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

look at the touch down  meriweather gave up last week, he decided to freelance and went the wrong way and inessence used our own man as a screen and allowed spiller ot walk into the endzone

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]look at the touch down  meriweather gave up last week, he decided to freelance and went the wrong way and inessence used our own man as a screen and allowed spiller ot walk into the endzone
    Posted by wolfwood[/QUOTE]

Give me another play this season, please...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Im really happy some of you arent coaches.

Lets put Ed Reed at corner, and Randy Moss at DE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MERRIWEATHER AT CB...can he be worse than Butler and Arrington?? : Give me another play this season, please...
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

am not  saying he is bad just pointed out one  of the times he decided to freelance  still think he is a solid player

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMichalski12. Show JMichalski12's posts

I thought Arrington held his own quite well, mind you its Buffalo but still......Keep him in there until he gives a reason to be replaced

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Merriweather also had an INT and a huge tackle on Spiller on a very well set up draw.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Merriweather played a lot at safety Joerock.  CB Devin McCourty – 56 of 56  LB Jerod Mayo – 54 of 56  CB Kyle Arrington – 52 of 56  S Patrick Chung – 50 of 56  S Brandon Meriweather – 40 of 56  DE Tully Banta-Cain – 37 of 56  CB Jonathan Wilhite – 37 of 56  DL Vince Wilfork – 35 of 56  OLB Rob Ninkovich – 31 of 56  LB Gary Guyton – 29 of 56  OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham – 28 of 56  DL Gerard Warren – 28 of 56  S James Sanders – 27 of 56  DE Ron Brace – 25 of 56  DL Mike Wright – 22 of 56  ILB Brandon Spikes – 21 of 56  DL Myron Pryor – 18 of 56  S Jarrad Page – 13 of 56  OLB/DE Shawn Crable – 9 of 56  CB Darius Butler – 4 of 56 
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

Rock, where did you get this breakdown? Its good stuff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Rock, where did you get this breakdown? Its good stuff.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
    The one and only Mike Reiss.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4684221/defensive-snapshot-benching-too-harsh

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Patrick Chung is supposed to be a hybrid.  He'd be a better choice than Meriweather at CB, assuming another free safety is available.  Meriweather is good at run support and as an enforcer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

[QUOTE]Patrick Chung is supposed to be a hybrid.  He'd be a better choice than Meriweather at CB, assuming another free safety is available.  Meriweather is good at run support and as an enforcer.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    How about a safety, maybe Brandon as part of the solution. The Pats can use a safety to hit Marshall off the line of scrimmage and then the corner picks up Marshall 15 yards afterwards. they can wear him out. The Pats can rotate safeties .