Michael Turner and Peyton Hillis RB options for the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Michael Turner and Peyton Hillis RB options for the Patriots

Per rotoworld

The Boston Herald mentions free agents Peyton Hillis and Michael Turner as backup running back options for the Patriots.

Both Hillis and Turner are not expected to garner much interest early on in free agency, but beat writer Jeff Howe thinks they could be nice goal-line backs for New England if the price is right. The Patriots have Brandon Bolden as a bigger back behind Stevan Ridley, but his production was sporadic as a rookie.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Michael Turner and Peyton Hillis RB options for the Patriots

I don't know...I'm not feeling it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I would definitely being willing to give Hillis a try, why not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Unless they are letting Bolden go then I'm good. Though I could see them let Bolden go regardless. I like Ridley and Vereen, both were affective on goal line situations

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm not sure.  I like both these options but that would mean letting a RB go.  Not sure who I would want to see leave.  Now if you said Steven Jackson was going to be a Patriot then I say dump the whole dang RB core!!  Well, not really.... But maybe!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Agree with RidingWithTheKing. Another running back in a position quite well stocked is way down on the list of areas that the Pats need to beef up on. Cannot drool over every name out there in the market. Keep the focus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I always liked Hillis hands out of the backfield after he had that 61 catch season but that was a few yrs ago now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Old man Turner is done.  Hillis has ball security issues.  Pass.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

People rip Ridley because they think he fumbles too much, but would take a chance on Hillis who has fumbled once every 45 carries in his career?  That's like every other game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

We do not need any RBs. We have 3 young talented backs in Ridley, Vereen, and Bolden. Why would anyone bring in some washed up throw away at this point? RB is the least of my worries.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Old man Turner is done.  Hillis has ball security issues.  Pass.

Old man Turner? He's only 31. He could still be effective as a spell back but his days as a workhorse are indeed done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm not terribly enthusiastic about either of these guys.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Turner seems more worthwhile of the tweo. Jackson would be the better of all three. This is not a critical player but Jackson would upgrade the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

Old man Turner? He's only 31.

That is ancient for RBs.  I saw enough of him this season to know he is done.  Guy is SLOW.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Per rotoworld

The Boston Herald mentions free agents Peyton Hillis and Michael Turner as backup running back options for the Patriots.

Both Hillis and Turner are not expected to garner much interest early on in free agency, but beat writer Jeff Howe thinks they could be nice goal-line backs for New England if the price is right. The Patriots have Brandon Bolden as a bigger back behind Stevan Ridley, but his production was sporadic as a rookie.   We don't need or want these two stiffs;  imo Ridley and Bolden are fine and don't have the wear of these FAs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

Old man Turner? He's only 31.

That is ancient for RBs.  I saw enough of him this season to know he is done.  Guy is SLOW.

Meh, Frank Gore and Steven Jackson have both had heavier workloads over their careers than Turner and are only a year and few months younger. I just don't think he's completely done quite yet. Could be a solid short yardage/goal line type of back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Per rotoworld

Both Hillis and Turner are not expected to garner much interest early on in free agency, but beat writer Jeff Howe thinks they could be nice goal-line backs for New England if the price is right. The Patriots have Brandon Bolden as a bigger back behind Stevan Ridley, but his production was sporadic as a rookie.

Turner is a has been. As for Hillis, that great game he had against the Pats in 2010 aside, he hasn't done much, and has fumbling issues. I'd rather see the Pats spend some money to resign Danny Woodhead, than waste dollars on an old veteran who has as much chance of getting cut, as he would of making the team. I like the fact that the Pats have revamped their stable of RBs, and have gone young. Unless Boldin is a complete head-case, or has been slowed permanently by injury, I'd rather see the Pats stick with him...and develop him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Running back and receiver are some of the few positions where youth is a good thing.

There are some running backs who can play into their 30's, and Michael Turner isn't one of them. Due to his running style, he's washed up. I don't know if anyone watched him play this year, but he's fat and slow now. The title "turner burner" is hilariously misleading in this day and age.

Hillis? That head case? No thanks. Sure, he had a decent year, but nothing better than the year Ridley just had. He was more of a flash in the pan who caught teams off guard.

I'd prefer that the Patriots stick with what they've got right now. Vereen has shown explosiveness, and Ridley has shown the ability to pound the rock 20 times per game and wear defenses down. Bolden is a nice complement to Ridley, and Woodhead is Mr. Do-It-All reliable.

They've got two different styles and I'll stick with what we're working with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Turners done. Just like Shawn Alexander and Eddie George before him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hillis won't be coming to the Patriots.  After some digging I found this.  Not sure how true this story is but when names show up in a story as sources then there is probably a good chance there is some merit to it.  This broke 12/3/10, several months after Hillis was traded by Josh McDaniels.

Heres an interesting piece of news..Peyton Hillis is a beast..Hes having a breakout year for the Cleveland Browns..It wasn™t too long ago that Hillis was playing in Denver for Head Coach Josh McDaniels..McDaniels traded Hillis for QB Brady Quinn..a deal that is now haunting Broncos fans..and now we know why the trade happened..According to Mark Schlereth and Alfred Williams, the word on the street is Hillis got caught hitting on McDaniels wife Laura.. Schlereth went on 104.3 the Fan earlier this week and said it is common knowledge around the Broncos organization. Apparently, the story goes that Hillis hit on McDaniels wife, Laura, shortly after McDaniels became the Head Coach..McDaniels probably deserved it..Hes  done a horrific job in Denver so far..Hes traded Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Hillis, and drafted Tebow in the first round..Need I say more. -TO

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hillis refused to play because he had a strept throar...said it endangered his career.-_-...

Really? You guys want that clown? And Turner is on the wrong side of 30, he's done.