Michael Vick and The Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Michael Vick and The Patriots

I've been listening to a lot of media reports on where Vick might land if he's reinstated by Goodell.  And I'm always hearing the Patriots mentioned as possible suitors.  In my opinion this is another attempt by the Patriots hating Media(ESPN) to associate Vick and the Patriots.  Subliminally, they are trying to associate the two and make the Pats look bad.  I don't believe for one second that Kraft or anyone else in the Patriots staff want anything to do with Vick or have even considered him whatsoever.  The Globe which is owned by the times isn't helping with their cover story.  Just my 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Michael Vick and The Patriots

This is all speculation and rumor. The Pats don't need Vick...at all, however, if Belichick is quietly kicking the tires some other team will pick him up. It's the same scenario as Mangina picking up the Pats leftovers when he was with the Jets. Didn't work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Vick is not currently eligible to return to the NFL, so all the teams are saying the right things right now. "Oh, we would never take a flyer on a guy like that."

If and when the commissioner lifts Vick's supsension, you can well believe teams will show interest, despite what is being said now.

As for the Pats interest (or lack thereof), I would say that Bill Belichick is first and foremost a coach. If he thought Vick would be a useful addition to his offense, I have no doubt he would bring him in without a second thought about his prior transgressions. That said, are you going to take the best quarterback in the league off the field so you can run a couple retarded "Wildcat" snaps just for sh*ts and grins?

Me neither.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I understand BB would do whatever is best for the team, but my point to this post is that the Media are using this opportunity to throw Vick in with the Patriots.  Right now their are many Vick haters out there and to the average person that may not follow the NFL and certainly not the Patriots, they are equating Vick and his crimes with the Patriots.  Point is the Media is using a very subliminal form of bashing the Pats, as there is not evidence whatsoever that the Pats have shown any interest in Vick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, ESPN (and the rest of the sports media) is in the business of attracting viewers. Now, how do you do that? The easiest way to do that is to create good guys and bad guys. So, if Peyton Manning and Brett Favre are the good guys, take a wild guess who the bad guys are. Ask just about any baseball fan outside the northeast what is the biggest thing wrong with ESPN's baseball coverage and most of them will tell you that it is the endless Red Sox - Yankees hype. ESPN needs drama to sell its product -- which is entertainment masquerading as sports "reporting." If there is no drama, ESPN will happily create some. Speculation that the greatest evil mankind has ever known (this week), Michael Vick, could potentially join the well-documented rules abusers up there in New England makes wonderful copy. The fact that it is ridiculous on its face doesn't really enter into the discussion. As Mel Brooks was kind enough to point out in "Spaceballs," it's all about the marketing.

This is my long-winded way of saying you're absolutely right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

We currently have 285 players on the roster.  What we don't need or want is a horrible failure of a QB that tortures and kills Puppies.

The Kraft's will not let that happen.  ESPN is a joke.  Like MTV that hasn't shown a music video since the 80's ESPN hasn't been about sports since the 90's.  They may as well change there moniker to FOX NEWS which has nothing to do with reporting news.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

This is my long-winded way of saying you're absolutely right.

You hit the nail on the head. It's all about the headlines. I don't even think ESPN specifically "hates" the Patriots, they just make excellent villians! Especially with the way BB is evasive in interviews and his "deadpan" way of addressing the media. Remember Greg Easterbrook and his "Good vs. Evil" piece? Who would all the "heroes" in sports, movies, and TV be without their arch enemies? Batman would be an afterthought if not for the Joker. Superman would be nobody without Lex Luthor! For those who "hate" NE already they will be saying BB would hire any ex-con to win. For those who don't specifically hate, but are jealous, they'll think it unfair NE should have Vick and Brady. In either case, they sell more magazines, get more hits on the website, and a larger market share on TV. Their advertisers love that sh*t. I'm surprised we haven't heard about Dallas or Oakland being a possible team for Vick. I suppose they'll get to them in time! Belichick has the edge over Al Davis for the "bad-guy" role...simply because NE is successful and the Raiders aren't. But, as someone (I forget who) here said earlier on the other Vick post, the original poster's first mistake was to read ESPN.com!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Vick is not currently eligible to return to the NFL, so all the teams are saying the right things right now. "Oh, we would never take a flyer on a guy like that." If and when the commissioner lifts Vick's supsension, you can well believe teams will show interest, despite what is being said now. As for the Pats interest (or lack thereof), I would say that Bill Belichick is first and foremost a coach. If he thought Vick would be a useful addition to his offense, I have no doubt he would bring him in without a second thought about his prior transgressions. That said, are you going to take the best quarterback in the league off the field so you can run a couple retarded "Wildcat" snaps just for sh*ts and grins? Me neither.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

+1

And an additional thought. While I have no doubt BB wouldn't hesitate to bring in Vick if he thought 1. He would help the team win. and 2. He would fit into the locker room., it would also be up to Kraft and, from my understanding, Mrs. Kraft. Kraft would have to view it from a financial bottomline and how his presence could hurt the Patriots' brand while Mrs. K. might be the arbiter regarding character. I think in something as high-profile as Vick's case, all three would need to be in alignment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think that there is no queastion that the pats are one of the teams that people love to hate, because they are so successful. but i think that the thought of the media linking vick to the pats in order to make them look bad is silly. it actually is logical speculation and i don't think its a big deal. player speculation is one of the things that makes sports fun (look at all the posts on this forum). vick will end up playing for a team this year at the league minimum salary (with incentives). if he screws up in the slightest way he will be cut. if he's lost a step while he was "away" he will sit on the bench and be out of the league by next season. but if he can still play and stays on the straight and narrow, he could be a steal for this year. so the media is looking at teams that have shrewd front offices, have taken chances before and been successful, have strong leadership, and a strong starting QB (so vick can be used as a hybrid offensive weapon - third down back, slot receiver, kick returner, and wildcat). sounds like the pats fit the bill. plus, they are known to be interested in creating some wildcat offense of their own this season. i think its worth the bad PR that might come along with the move. who cares what other fans think? belichick doesnt thats for sure. the main thing standing in the way i think is the general racism and conservativism of the local fans and talk radio idiots. just listen to WEEI or read that rag the Herald and you'll see why kraft might think twice about the reaction of a lot of the local fan base.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

The Globe had a comment about the trade talks for Burgess.  They said the Raiders wanted Vollmer and O'Connell for Burgess.  The Pats said no.  If we got Vick, would this trade then make sense?  All speculation, of course.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

#1 ESPN and the Pats do not get along.

#2 Who of you here honestly believe that you would bench Tom Brady in favor of Vick in any scenario?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The only scenario in which I could see myself, as coach of the New England Patriots, benching Tom Brady in favor of Michael Vick would be if somebody (probably a Jets fan) pointed a loaded gun at my head and said, "Bench Tom Brady in favor of Michael Vick."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]The Globe had a comment about the trade talks for Burgess.  They said the Raiders wanted Vollmer and O'Connell for Burgess.  The Pats said no.  If we got Vick, would this trade then make sense?  All speculation, of course.
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

Pats aren't signing Vick, big period.  Plus if Vick were reinstated I've believe he could sign with the highest bidder, my guess would be the Raiders anyhow.