Mike Shannahan O.C??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Mike Shannahan O.C??

Has Shannahan been hied ? If not,how about this

How about that. Immense offensive mind with the Best Defensive H.C.
     Could that work? It would be Fatal to the opponents
      Go Pats

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Re: Mike Shannahan O.C??

i wish.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Shannahan must be good a good offensive coach.  He made Cutler, Plummer and even Elway look good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Shanahan's Denver contract could make his next decision interesting

With the job at Florida suddenly open and given that former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was a candidate for the job there earlier in the decade (he was also an assistant coach there from 1980-83), it's not ridiculous to wonder whether Shanahan would decide to at least consider the possibility of taking the job.

And here's where it could get interesting.  Depending on the language of his contract with the Broncos, Shanahan possibly could go to Gainesville and keep the full amount of the $7 million he's owed in 2010 and 2011 from Denver owner Pat Bowlen.

A source familiar with NFL coaching contracts explains that the money owed to a fired coach often is subject to reduction based on various types of future employment.  Some contracts state that the compensation from any other coaching job reduces the buyout obligation on a dollar-for-dollar basis.  Other contracts specify that the buyout will shrink based on money from any other "football related" job, which arguably includes money earned in broadcasting. 

But some coaching contracts make the buyout obligation applicable to NFL coaching jobs only.

If Shanahan's contract contains that term, he'd be able to collect the $14 million and keep the full amount of any money paid to him at Florida or any other college program.  This would potentially close the gap -- for the first two years -- between the available budget in Gainesville and the money that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder would be willing to pay.

Though the precise terms of Shanahan's contract aren't known, it's our understanding that the contract contains some favorable terms regarding the amount of the buyout, even if Shanahan takes another NFL job.  And given that he signed his final Denver extension at a time when no one envisioned that he'd be fired by owner Pat Bowlen, we wouldn't be surprised to learn that Shanahan was careful to load all sorts of beneficial language into the buyout clause.

So keep an eye on this one -- there's a chance that the Broncos contract tilts the field heavily in favor of the Gators, if they choose to jump into the bidding for Shanahan, who has not committed to the Redskins even though the Redskins essentially have committed to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

He could easily get a head coaching position in NFL or college so I'm not sure why he'd take a paycut to be an OC

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I have to agree with the last poster. Shannahan and Cowher probably can probably have their choice of any head coaching opening in the NFL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

You may flog me at your convenience but what can be so bad about Mike Martz?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Matt Millen is available as GM.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I have a better chance to be the Pats starting RB next year than Mike S been the Pats OC.
    This guy is going to be a head football coach not an OC regardless of what money is offered to him.  He is a future Hall of Fame coach, don't think he's interested in stepping back to a OC.
    A more likely scenerio is Myers, but that's a long shot because of his health.  you don't quit one of the best college jobs to just a take a few months off.
    My christmas wish is to get charlie back in NE.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats probably figure it is easier to teach one guy (the OC) thier system than is to teach the entire team a new coaches system.  Since the Pats system is proven to work (see 2007, highest scoring offense in NFL history), they are probably not interested in changing it.  I would think any accomplished OC would only be interested in taking a job where he has complete control over the system.