Mike Wallace a Patriot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Mike Wallace a Patriot?

Now, I've not searched out any sources but, this radio program I listened to today said that several rumors are going around about the Patriots getting him. 

I know, I know, rumors. These guys usually don't talk about them but, they had heard about it several times in the course of the day. Talking about the franchise tag and how teams just have to let certain players go. Talk was going around that Pittsburgh couldn't keep him and that the Patriots would jump on him. 

I tell you, maybe it will, maybe it won't happen but, Mike Wallace would be an absolute dream for Brady. Not only that, Steelers fans would grit their teeth down to the gums over it. 

Costs? Sure but, we get Wallace and use up some big $$ on him then we could literally spend the whole draft on defense. Trade Hoyer for a pick or 2 as well. Wallace on the team changes everything IMO. 

I for one would love to see it happen. Lloyd and others sound nice. Reggie Wayne would be nice but, let's face it, having a younger, faster player like Wallace, to me, is the way to go. Enough with the veteran WR's who have 1/4 of a tank left in them. We need a legit young talented WR that would surely enjoy playing for Brady. Having Gronk and Herandez along with Welker and Wallace? We'd be favorites again. How do you defend that group?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/53922/would-patriots-pursue-mike-wallace

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Pat Kerwin on "moving the chains" said that with the new CBA RFAs only need a
    1st round pick now ( previuosly a 1 and 3). What he also clarified was that is only your designated slot ie: 31 ( Not  27 , from trade) . He also said that only late first round pick teams would consider this. Thus he said only SF  Baltimore and NE would be hot on this.  The fact we have 2 1st makes this very opportune for the Pats ( good move  GM  BB!) I  believe we have more cap space too... even with Welker tagged.

balt has a QB  $ dilemna  with Flacco I think in walk year.

SF is DESPERATE for a money WR. So they would/ could spend but have to detrmine if their only #1  plus the cash is worth it.

I really want to see where this goes. If we had Mike Wallace  on Feb 5th .. we are the champs!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'd rather have Wallace than any of those older guys, he hasn't even hit his prime yet. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Can we get anyone as good as Wallace at #31? No.

If he can be had at market rate (I figure 9-10 per, 4-5 years), he's definitely worth the pick on top of it.

***BLASPHEMY ALERT***

If it made the difference, I would rather have Wallace on the team next year than Welker. Welker/Hernandez and Gronk fill the same space, I think it's silly to keep all three to be honest. Kind of like having 3 very productive backs...when it comes time to pay one, you let him leave, and keep the younger, cost-controllable options. Harsh reality, but if I had to choose, I choose Wallace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He's the Steelers most important player other than Ben. I can't see them letting him get away. Even though they  are in cap hell they will probably come up with a way to keep him. Hope not because he would be huge if the Patriots could get him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot?:
    [QUOTE]Can we get anyone as good as Wallace at #31? No. If he can be had at market rate (I figure 9-10 per, 4-5 years), he's definitely worth the pick on top of it. ***BLASPHEMY ALERT*** If it made the difference, I would rather have Wallace on the team next year than Welker. Welker/Hernandez and Gronk fill the same space, I think it's silly to keep all three to be honest. Kind of like having 3 very productive backs...when it comes time to pay one, you let him leave, and keep the younger, cost-controllable options. Harsh reality, but if I had to choose, I choose Wallace.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOT

actually no with the spread offense , which it appears we are committed to ( as we should with TB and the permissive defensive restrictions )
    5 Ol
    Gonk at TE  6
    Wallace outside 7
    BJGE ( yes !!!) at setback 8
    TB at QB  9
    Welker at slot 10
    Hern ... 11    where ever he wants!!!

this is the NFL today thanks to Bill Poilians crying after we smacked Peytons targets in the AFC championship game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]He's the Steelers most important player other than Ben. I can't see them letting him get away. Even though they  are in cap hell they will probably come up with a way to keep him. Hope not because he would be huge if the Patriots could get him. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

Steelers have productive burners on roster Antonio Brown (almost as productive as Wallace) and Emanuel Sanders. as a fantasy player with Wallace I noticed that these guys actually were more prouctive later in the year. Wallace got fewer targets but usually always had  a big scoring play( OOH I think we could use that... read that lack of Ocho threat). So I think economoics would favor this transaction. Pitt gets younger with a second #1 draft pic ( I think this year if before draft?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I can see the Patriots giving up a Rnd 1 pick on Wallace and then getting one back with a Hoyer trade. Or at least a high Rnd 2 pick where we'd still be OK to address defesnsive needs. 

Lloyd just isn't the anwser. Brady needs a big time WR for the long ball. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We are forgetting one thing here.....and that is who would be willing to restructure their contracts in Pittsburgh To make room to resign Wallace? Because that is a big possibility

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]I can see the Patriots giving up a Rnd 1 pick on Wallace and then getting one back with a Hoyer trade. Or at least a high Rnd 2 pick where we'd still be OK to address defesnsive needs.  Lloyd just isn't the anwser. Brady needs a big time WR for the long ball. 
    Posted by mrbungle[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way about that, Wallace is better, faster, and younger. The safetys would have to play way back with this guy out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]We are forgetting one thing here.....and that is who would be willing to restructure their contracts in Pittsburgh To make room to resign Wallace? Because that is a big possibility
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

They've already had 5 players restructure and they are still over the cap currently. If another team comes in then Pitt is going to have to release a bunch of players to match. Pitts in a bad situation

Now that said, if it was just the pick or a decent contract I would have no issue trying to get him. However, it's going to cost #31 and Wallace is looking for top 5 WR pay (that's ~10mil/yr). That might be too high of a cost for Wallace. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]I can see the Patriots giving up a Rnd 1 pick on Wallace and then getting one back with a Hoyer trade. Or at least a high Rnd 2 pick where we'd still be OK to address defesnsive needs.  Lloyd just isn't the anwser. Brady needs a big time WR for the long ball. 
    Posted by mrbungle[/QUOTE]

I think Pats fans are way overvalueing Hoyers value. Usually you only get the players original draft position maybe one slot higher because of experience ( how much?). Hoyer never took the team to an 11-5 record ala Cassell. Flynn will have some value higher than Hoyer, because he has played effectively in FULL games ..almost beat Pats last year) and his OC is Miami coach. Also i think teams may be soured on back ups since Kolb has not paid off. Schaub ( signature game vs Pat when Vick was injured and Vinitiari made clutch FG at game end) and Cassell are the exceptions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

wow, I'm trying not to get caught up in this chatter/rumors or whatever.  I really can't see Wallace a Patriot - but wow if this happens, this would be a great move for the Pats, for sure. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Last I saw it might come down between the Ravens and Pats. The Steelers might have to let him walk since they are over the cap, can't afford to franchise him and have Sanders and Brown at WR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Wes Welker will break the bank so there's no room for Wallace here. Prepare yourselves for one of the first rounders traded for a first round next year and a third round this year and for the other first rounder to go to a CB or safety on defense or LT or Guard on offense. The Jets will get Wallace before NE does. Brady will either have to win with what he has already or not at all.

Stop dreaming, as long as BB is coaching with Brady as QB you'll never see a stud FA come in here EVER again. BB tried with Roosevelt Colvin and Adalious Thomas and he's never going to try again. He made the SB this year, he knows he can just sign up some more cast offs and win on Brady's arm again next year. Its not about winning a SB next year or the year after, its about fielding a playoff team every year. If NE played SF in the SB they would have had the luck of the Irish not facing one elite QB in the post season and that strategy proved to be ONLY 4 points short of the championship. Shirley you don't think its anything but business as usual.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Can we get anyone as good as Wallace at #31? No. If he can be had at market rate (I figure 9-10 per, 4-5 years), he's definitely worth the pick on top of it. ***BLASPHEMY ALERT*** If it made the difference, I would rather have Wallace on the team next year than Welker. Welker/Hernandez and Gronk fill the same space, I think it's silly to keep all three to be honest. Kind of like having 3 very productive backs...when it comes time to pay one, you let him leave, and keep the younger, cost-controllable options. Harsh reality, but if I had to choose, I choose Wallace.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    Funny, but I agree. I love Welker, but honestly Gronk and Hernandez give you that same underneath skill set - if you get Wallace you add something that is missing. I got to think you could find a decent (not as good as Welker) slot receiver to take his spot, easier than to find a young explosive, productive, big play, consistent, young wide receiver.

Either that or you just keep Welker and hope for the best in the draft. Maybe a guy like Lloyd is the answer, but he's hasn't consistently produced and is 31 years old. Add in the fact that he is a diva(without the production)...and he's not coming cheap either. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot? : Funny, but I agree. I love Welker, but honestly Gronk and Hernandez give you that same underneath skill set - if you get Wallace you add something that is missing. I got to think you could find a decent (not as good as Welker) slot receiver to take his spot, easier than to find a young explosive, productive, big play, consistent, young wide receiver. Either that or you just keep Welker and hope for the best in the draft. Maybe a guy like Lloyd is the answer, but he's hasn't consistently produced and is 31 years old. Add in the fact that he is a diva(without the production)...and he's not coming cheap either. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of things you need to factor in too.

- Welker: Already has proven chemistry with Brady. How many WR's have we seen come in to NE and just plan fail because of a lack of chemistry with Brady? There is no guarantee Wallace will gel with Brady and that would be an expensive and PR nightmare mistake to make

- Lloyd: Yes his numbers haven't been great over the years but his best 2 statistical years have come with McDaniels leading the O's. Again, how many WR's have we seen come in and fail because they can't understand the system which prevents them from gaining chemistry with Brady? Lloyd might not be a guarantee but we do know he can and has performed in McDaniels system

- Pick: #31 might not seem like much to give up for Wallace and truthfully you most likely won't find a WR of Wallaces ability at #31. However, if you are considering dumping Welker for Wallace it now becomes Welker and the #31 pick. Is Wallace enough of a talent to replace both Welker and possibly a pass rusher and secondary help you could get at #31? The overall improvement to the team might be greater with Welker and the pick then Wallace alone.

If they can squeeze Welker and Wallace together then the pick isn't a huge lose, provided they can still get help on D in FA. But, if Wallace means the lose of Welker and a pick that could be used to supplement our biggest weakness then that might be to big of a price tag for an O that was at the top of the league when fully healthy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Go get Wallace....he is a stud Wr...just what the doctor ordered! I'm hoping real hard we get him! Then use rest of the draft on defense ...take some chances on some strong run blocker types late...n lets go from there! Go Pats 2012

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot? : There are a couple of things you need to factor in too. - Welker: Already has proven chemistry with Brady. How many WR's have we seen come in to NE and just plan fail because of a lack of chemistry with Brady? There is no guarantee Wallace will gel with Brady and that would be an expensive and PR nightmare mistake to make - Lloyd: Yes his numbers haven't been great over the years but his best 2 statistical years have come with McDaniels leading the O's. Again, how many WR's have we seen come in and fail because they can't understand the system which prevents them from gaining chemistry with Brady? Lloyd might not be a guarantee but we do know he can and has performed in McDaniels system - Pick: #31 might not seem like much to give up for Wallace and truthfully you most likely won't find a WR of Wallaces ability at #31. However, if you are considering dumping Welker for Wallace it now becomes Welker and the #31 pick. Is Wallace enough of a talent to replace both Welker and possibly a pass rusher and secondary help you could get at #31? The overall improvement to the team might be greater with Welker and the pick then Wallace alone. If they can squeeze Welker and Wallace together then the pick isn't a huge lose, provided they can still get help on D in FA. But, if Wallace means the lose of Welker and a pick that could be used to supplement our biggest weakness then that might be to big of a price tag for an O that was at the top of the league when fully healthy
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

The only thing I don't agree with is that you'd be giving up Welker and a first rounder for Wallace. I think if we keep Welker, we are going to have to use a first rounder on a wide receiver (and run the risk of that guy being another bust for us). Of course if Lloyd is the answer, then all this is a moot point.

I'm not sure I'd want to give a guy (Llyod) that has really only had one outstanding season in his career big money - lets not forget that he is 31 and is not really considered a burner...he also is not known as a guy that has the most sure hands. But yeah going all in with a guy like Wallace could back fire on you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Pats would be getting value for their 31st overall pick with Wallace. If they can get it done, and he agrees to get a new haircut (see his  photo in his stats cited below...LOL!!), they should get it done: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12601/mike-wallace

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Wallace a Patriot? : The only thing I don't agree with is that you'd be giving up Welker and a first rounder for Wallace. I think if we keep Welker, we are going to have to use a first rounder on a wide receiver (and run the risk of that guy being another bust for us). Of course if Lloyd is the answer, then all this is a moot point. I'm not sure I'd want to give a guy (Llyod) that has really only had one outstanding season in his career big money - lets not forget that he is 31 and is not really considered a burner...he also is not known as a guy that has the most sure hands. But yeah going all in with a guy like Wallace could back fire on you.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Do they need to spend a 1st on a WR though? Where they are picking you're looking at basically Randle, Sanu, and Jeffery. Though I like Sanu will any of them really make the impact that a 1st deserves?

Going in the late 2nd the 3rd range you are looking at Hill, McNutt, Adams, T.Y. Hilton, Adams, Jones, Quick. Depending on what you are looking for there are plenty of options in that range. If you want Wallace for his speed then you aren't going to get Wright at #27 or #31 so the next burners with speed really are Adams and Hilton. Both of which will be 3rd-4th guys.

If you don't mind giving a little speed for size then McNutt, Quick, Hill are all larger guys with low 4.5 speed. They won't blow the doors off but enough speed to be considered downfield threats with larger bodies to fight for balls on the sideline.

I don't think you need to think of #31 as a WR whether that be because of Wallace, a drafted WR, or dependant on Lloyd or any other WR on the market.

But I do think that at least 1 pick from day 1 or day 2 will be a WR

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As I typed that a report came out that the Steelers might let Wallace test the open market. If they don't tender him they'd be foolish but if you don't even have to give up a pick for him then it would really come down to salary. If Wallace wants top 5 money that's a hard pill to swallow but at 7-9mil/yr for 4-5 years that might be the better route to go. But, again if Wallace wants 10mil/yr and Lloyd might only get 5-6mil/yr then you really have to figure out what that extra 4-5mil/yr can get you. It might be the difference between getting a Griffin or a James Sanders type of S.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]Ugh. I don't see someone like that as a fit here and we don't need a 35 year old Brady turning into  Bledsoesque statue again, pattting the ball, wiating for 25+ yard routes to unravel in the pocket.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about not wanting Wallace because I don't think he is worth the price, but I think it is worth noting that his underneath game has improved a lot since he came into the league.  He is not just a one trick pony anymore.