Missing Dez Bryant mistake?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake?

In Response to Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake?:
    Dez Bryant may have a solid season, but I still don't think he was the right pick for the Pats in round 1. The Pats absolutely drafted the right guy in McCourty as we need a top notch corner to improve our pass defense especially given what the rest of the AFC east has done in the off-season. Holt, Patton, Tate and Price are solid enough to get us through 2010 and put up points. If Moss leaves next year, we have the ammo in 2011 to draft a top WR that I think is better than Bryant in AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin, and Michael Floyd.  If we add one of the above WR's plus Mark Ingram, the Patriots will be scary good.
    Posted by PatsLifer
    SHHH! Don't let everyone know what BB is planning on doing...He knew what he was doing when he made the trade with Dallas,I think he would have drafted Tebow had Denver not snuck back into the 1rst round,but his other first round choice was clearly McCourty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

Posted by BostonMucker "but Cunningham has bust potential.I have an extended family in FLA. who are huge Fla. fans and recently I have become one.I don't know what BB saw in this kid, he ends his pursuit early and when the play comes back he is out of position to make a tackle.All his plays are when he is untouched,one block and he's done.Nobody had this guy rated anywhere near where he was taken and I'm talking real scouts."

Really, none of the "real scouts" had Cunningham ranked high?  He was a defensive end in college but projects to be an outside LB for the Pats, similar to Teddy.  Ourlads, which is a professional scouting service, had him as a 3rd/4th round pick at outside LB with a good rating.  He was picked up in the late middle 2nd round so that's not a huge reach for a 3rd round ranked player. 

Where did all the "real scouts" have Mankins slotted?  How about Vollmer?  Where did these real scouts have Mayo slotted when he came out?  As a defensive end Cunningham was a 4th/5th round pick.  As an outside LB his worth is different to a 3/4 team.

Seems you know everything while others on this board no nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Re: It is the Opportunity cost

In Response to It is the Opportunity cost:
    Last year - we lost out on Michael Oher and Clay Matthews. This year, possibly Dez Bryant.   My opinion, Bryant will have a nice season in Dallas.  They have an explosive offense and play 12 of their games in a controlled/domed stadium.   They will be passing.  Bryant should have an ample share of targets
    Posted by rolltide1963

Yes, we passed on Oher and he's good, no doubt.  But we got Vollmer instead and he's pretty good too.  Will he have as good a career as Oher? Maybe.  Will he be better than Oher? Possibly.  So to sum, Vollmer, Butler, Chung and Edeleman vs. Oher.  I'd take the Patriots hand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

sfpat I take the 4-1 odds all day long also,I don't see a huge difference between Vollmer and Oher,as for the others looks like all three will contribute this season in a bigger way. 4 players for 1 all seeing significant playing time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 305PhinPhan. Show 305PhinPhan's posts

sfpat I take the 4-1 odds all day long also,I don't see a huge difference between Vollmer and Oher,as for the others looks like all three will contribute this season in a bigger way. 4 players for 1 all seeing significant playing time...
    Posted by sportsbozo1

You don't see a huge difference between Oher and Vollmer? Wow I see talking football with you is pointless. Someone that biased toward their own team is just a waste of time trying to get a point across. Just so you know there is a big difference between Oher and Vollmer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

The logic on this board is quite simple, here it is:

Prior to the draft Dez Bryant would have been a great pickup

After the draft Dez is a troublemaker and would have been a terrible pick.

Even though nobody had heard of McCorty going into the draft, now that he's a Pat he's a great pickup!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The logic on this board is quite simple, here it is: Prior to the draft Dez Bryant would have been a great pickup After the draft Dez is a troublemaker and would have been a terrible pick. Even though nobody had heard of McCorty going into the draft, now that he's a Pat he's a great pickup!
    Posted by BBRULES23

Most peoples logic is this:

I'm not a professional scout so if teams think Dez is a great pick than he probably is.

If many teams think Dez is a risk and pass on him in the 1st than maybe he's not a great pick.

Don't know much about McCourtey but if BB and other scouts think he's a first rounder than they're probably right. 

I trust the Pats and other teams scouting over my own, and I definitely think that BB's scouting is better than Dallas'.  Lots of teams passed on Dez, he was not rated any higher than the rest of the late first rounders this year.  Did you think Dez was a top ten guy and now you just are sticking with that despite the fact that nobody in the NFL agreed?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake? : You don't see a huge difference between Oher and Vollmer? Wow I see talking football with you is pointless. Someone that biased toward their own team is just a waste of time trying to get a point across. Just so you know there is a big difference between Oher and Vollmer.
    Posted by 305PhinPhan
    Dude Vollmer dominated the best DE's in the game on 4 straight Sunday's before they got Light back maybe it's you who doesn't know squat, Oher was a good player for the Ravens but I'll contend the 6'8" monster from Germany will only get better,you are entitled to your opinion! It won't hold any water because your view is slanted towards calling everything New England has as useless...So since you think my football knowledge is nothing more than biased stop responding to my blogs and you'll find an inner peace. My case in point in referencing your own bias is saying in another blog that Bess is a better receiver than Welker,who was only the leading receiver in the game last season with 123 caught balls. Nothing further needs to be said as your own words are your downfall.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I was going to respond to PhinPhan because he does at times bring good stuff here but I thought why bother.  One of the deals that goes on during the football year is people do a replay on the draft.  Vollmer is a top ten and beats out Oher.  I think that says something.  It's really the only hindsighted thing I like looking at because it shows finds and who got them.  The Pats were one of the winners last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I was going to respond to PhinPhan because he does at times bring good stuff here but I thought why bother.  One of the deals that goes on during the football year is people do a replay on the draft.  Vollmer is a top ten and beats out Oher.  I think that says something.  It's really the only hindsighted thing I like looking at because it shows finds and who got them.  The Pats were one of the winners last year.
    Posted by garytx
    I don't have a problem with phinphan but his take is slanted to favor his team and I can fully appreciate his points of view as a biased fan. I don't pretend to be anything other than being a Patriots fan,I watch the other members of our conference and whatever other games I can catch after the Patriots game is over in most cases,also I'm retired and live in the land of the Phins. I watch them a lot and they are an interesting team and are improving but they haven't caught up to the Patriiots as of yet. The Fish will have to go to a passing game before they can catch  the Patriots... Vollmer had a better year than Oher considering he had to wait for his turn behind Light and Kaczur,Oher was handed his job. Also the other guys acquired in that trade have turned out to be more than worth the investment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Bryant was suppose to go in the top ten of the draft. I really don't think BB ever had him on his radar, why bother, he wasn't going to be there. But when it became evident at 22 he was available,  I think they should have seriously looked at Bryant. This guy is a special athlete, big strong, fast , great hands. They will never admit it, but history, I believe will prove they missed a great opportunity. We will see, if he stars with Tony Romo, you will know he would have been lights out with TB. They also passed on Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle , guys with big sack numbers and took Cunningham . But they got Spikes, who I think will be the steal of the draft.

It was said to be a very deep draft, it sure looks that way, getting the 2 tight Ends , wow. If Randy Moss decides to give it his all , then they won't miss Bryant , this year. They go on about Dez Bryant's attitude, all he did was talk to an agent, he didn't rape , or shoot anyone. There are guys in the NFL who have, now that's an attitude problem. A felonious one at that.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't care if they took the man in the moon with the picks they acquired in the Oher trade,but Vollmer was as good if not better than Oher and his future looks brighter because he wasn't thrown too the wolves in week one,he is also working on a longer learning curve with arguably the #1 OLC in the game in Dante Scarnecchia. Like they always say in Basketball you can't teach 7',same holds true when looking for a LT in the NFL you can't teach massive 6'8" with enormous arm length and the strength to match. Like I said earlier in this post the Patriots did their due dilligence and brought in Dez Bryant just before the draft and evidently found him not to be of their liking in their first round pick. McCourty was probably their 2nd or third guy on their board,as I'm pretty sure if Ryan Matthews,or Tim Tebow had still been on the board at #27 they would have gladly selected either of them with their first selection. When projecting how a young player is going to do it's all about the dice coming up 7 or 11,but in most cases you wind up with a point to make 6 or 8. Every once in awhile you get the real bad toss of the dice and the roll turns out to be snake eyes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: It is the Opportunity cost

In Response to Re: It is the Opportunity cost:
    In Response to Re: It is the Opportunity cost : The reason they passed on Oher is because BB defaulted to Scarnecchia's assessment of Vollmer.   Vollmer is a 1st rd, arguable top 10 pick talent, that they figured would be there. And he was. That's the logic behind passing on Oher in a nutshell. Looks like they nailed it to me.
    Posted by russgriswold

I was talking about the present time and all these supposed picks we blew.  I gives me tired head to no end.  Anyway, Oher was the only one I had questions about.  He was there and we passed up on him.  I didn't understand it at the time.  It was very apparent that the Pats had plans for Vollmer as they worked him at left and right tackle during training camp.  His name was popping up frequently in press releases on what the Pats were doing with him day to day just like Edelman. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

BBRULES23...
    Are you serious?...No one had ever heard of McCourty prior to the draft? I guess you weren't on the mock2010 draft thread that over 5,000 posts. McCourty was often discussed by fans and a lot of us had him ranked in the top 2/3 CB's coming out this year. This guy was definitely on the fans radar, and as you can probably tell, the Pats as well. 

According to the same board..there were a lot of mixed feelings around Dez Bryant. Some said go, others said pass. Where the Cowboys picked him is a great value pick no doubt. That is hard to argue with. But, I, as well as many more people didn't believe he would fall into the 20's. I think most of us had him going in the top 12-15. 

So, should have the pats drafted him? No. Not now, not when we had the chance. It doesn't make sense for this year given our other needs. Plus, as I stated in an earlier post, there is as good and some better WR talent coming out next year that we will be in a prime spot to draft with 2 1sts, and 2 2nds. Guys as big, as fast, with good hands, some bigger and faster. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Yeah, who needs corners anyway.

Outside of Moss, Bryant is the kind of exciting WR that the Pats have been lacking since 2001.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

So people really wanted to take Bryant, who has serious character questions, and pair him with Moss who, at times, has serious character issues, and started talking about his contract LAST year. Is that really a good situation to bring him in to?

Even aside from that, he embodies (from what is written) the type of personality I typically want no closer than the Jets. Moss has mostly worked. Dillon worked for a year or two...but it's not a good formula.

Too take it one step even further, I'm not bringing in this guy when this team has no defined leaders on the field. They are still finding their identity in that respect, and I'd want Bryant nowhere near any of that.

Besides, who really has 2 WRs as exciting as Moss? Teams that do inevitably end up having to get rid of one (See: PITT/ARI/DET/CINCY/CAR/CLE...), this isn't fantasy football, character actually matters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's pretty common for fans to get upset when their team doesn't draft the big name skill position player if he's available as those are generally the kids that every media outlet is touting so fans become familiar with them. I liken this to fans clamoring for David Terrell (me included, lesson learned) back in 2001 while BB and the FO thought Big Sey 93 would be the better choice, he wasn't the sexy pick, but you can't argue with the results.  Will this turn out the same way?  Who knows.  All I know is I've researched this draft pretty thoroughly and McCourty looks to be an ideal fit in NE based on his mentality, physicality, versatility, speed, quickness, skill set, character and team need.