MNF on Pass Interference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

MNF on Pass Interference

NOTE: this is independent of any specific team in the league.  This is my general commentary on the state of the league.

On the post-game show, Steve Young noted:
    "There are 7 or 8 of them are just football plays"
    and said:
    "I know the rules of pass interference, but they're called too often and they're big plays."

During the game broadcast, the guys were sarcastically saying that the Ravens should just call long pass plays and hope for pass interference, which seemed to be a realistic assessment on how a team can now just throw the ball and hope for luck.  I know that's what the Bears did frequently with Hester last year, and consistently got the calls even when the ball was seemingly uncatchable.

I think the league has gone too far, and I'd love to see the league rescind the illegal contact rule and reduce the number of pass interference penalties on both sides of the ball.  

There's no player risk like with spearing or horse collar tackling - it's only convoluting good football by making the refs major players in games.

Let them play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: MNF on Pass Interference

In Response to Re: MNF on Pass Interference:
    [QUOTE]They tried that remember.  Seems that having WR's laying all over the field makes for poor ratings. 
    Posted by draftingfordummies[/QUOTE]

You would think that the market reaction for receivers would be for them to get bigger, stronger, and tougher with Owens-esque phsyiques, or get more agile and craftier like Welker.  You would also think that tight ends would play a big role in overcoming physical coverage (and they did, with the likes of Ben Coates and Shannon Sharpe, paving the way for Tony Gonzalez)

Instead, they gave receivers a free pass (interference), and now a significant portion of yardage comes from the judgment of referees.

I'd rather see players decide games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Couldn't agree more, to me it's like the NBA allowing players to travel to get dunks, or MLB's small parks for homeruns.  QB ratings have gone sky high in recent years beacause defenders can't play defense. 

I think recievers practice how to cut into defenders to draw PI, if they time it right when the ball is in the air it's a freebie.

It's the worst rule in the NFL, I think 2 changes could fix it.

1.  Allow defender a right to continue on the path they are running.  Then when recievers run a hook and cut into the defender it wouldn't be free yards.

2.  Make interference reviewable, I would say about 50% of calls are wrong.

I don't think the NFL will do anything though, they want to be in the to 10 plays every week.  We will probably see every NFL passer record fall in the next 10 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]They tried that remember.  Seems that having WR's laying all over the field makes for poor ratings. 

Please, In years gone by, I don't really recall Wideouts laying in broken heaps during gamedays...You're close to the overriding motive, but not quite there:

Having wide receivers "laying all over the field" makes teams that were built like The Indianapolis Colts look poor in the overall rankings...and we can't have that, now can we?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to MNF on Pass Interference:
    [QUOTE]NOTE: this is independent of any specific team in the league.  This is my general commentary on the state of the league. On the post-game show, Steve Young noted: "There are 7 or 8 of them are just football plays" and said: "I know the rules of pass interference, but they're called too often and they're big plays." During the game broadcast, the guys were sarcastically saying that the Ravens should just call long pass plays and hope for pass interference, which seemed to be a realistic assessment on how a team can now just throw the ball and hope for luck.  I know that's what the Bears did frequently with Hester last year, and consistently got the calls even when the ball was seemingly uncatchable. I think the league has gone too far, and I'd love to see the league rescind the illegal contact rule and reduce the number of pass interference penalties on both sides of the ball.   There's no player risk like with spearing or horse collar tackling - it's only convoluting good football by making the refs major players in games. Let them play.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

These rules were pushed by teams like the Rams and Colts that had prolific passing attacks and were P!$$ed that the Patriots figured out a way to beat them legally. So if you can't beat them just change the rules. Eventually there may be a big enough outcry nationally to change it back. I'm surprised to see ESPN and some of the other media outlets talking about it now.

In short, you're not alone on this one Nick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Spoken like  Ungerdoggggggg or leon or some other Colts Troll. I love the way these profiles magically appear every day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to MNF on Pass Interference : These rules were pushed by teams like the Rams and Colts that had prolific passing attacks and were P!$$ed that the Patriots figured out a way to beat them legally. So if you can't beat them just change the rules. Eventually there may be a big enough outcry nationally to change it back. I'm surprised to see ESPN and some of the other media outlets talking about it now. In short, you're not alone on this one Nick.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]
    You know that part before the start of a game where they say "Any pictures, acccounts or descriptions of this game without the expressed written permission of the NFL are prohibited". 

ESPN has that permission, and it's not in thier benefit to question the integrity of the game.  The NFL doesn't like it, imagine if ESPN couldn't talk about the NFL.  They have to be careful with what they say.

I have come to believe that I can get more insight and intelligent football analysis from this comment board (with some exceptions) than any major news source.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from faninCT. Show faninCT's posts

This call has been a problem for years. I agree that it's a terrible call because 1) it is subjective in the eyes of the ref, 2) certainly offers the possibility to influence the outcome of the came which it often does, 3) assumes that the receiver would actually catch the ball if he were not interferred with. The penalty is just too severe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

it took five posts for this to turn into an anti-colts rant. i applaud the efforts of NickC1188 to create this thread and emphasize that he wanted this to be a team-neutral thread and to be a real discussion. Sorry Nick, people just can't help themselves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

This ahole disagrees with you and he has alot more influence than anyone other than GODell.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

~lol...Preachin' to the choir my man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: MNF on Pass Interference : You know that part before the start of a game where they say "Any pictures, acccounts or descriptions of this game without the expressed written permission of the NFL are prohibited".  ESPN has that permission, and it's not in thier benefit to question the integrity of the game.  The NFL doesn't like it, imagine if ESPN couldn't talk about the NFL.  They have to be careful with what they say. I have come to believe that I can get more insight and intelligent football analysis from this comment board (with some exceptions) than any major news source.
    Posted by shenanigan

You certainly get every opinion in the book plus plenty of factual info here. TV guys all tend to have an agenda even if it's something as small as not wanting to admit they were wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

IMO they should lose the spot foul on a PI call.  Make it 15 yards no matter how far downfield the foul was committed.  A 50 yard penalty is absolutely ridiculous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

it took five posts for this to turn into an anti-colts rant. i applaud the efforts of NickC1188 to create this thread and emphasize that he wanted this to be a team-neutral thread and to be a real discussion. Sorry Nick, people just can't help themselves.
    Posted by number1troll

~See the forest for the trees friend...no, better: I don't blame ALL the garbage in the town for stinkin' up my house, I only blame the rancid, festering Salmon that I cooked last night.  I mean I'm sure the trash still smelled before the fish dinner, but now even the neighbors are complaining...  Which brings Us full circle back to Indy.  We are doing better though, normally it only takes two to three posts before We segregate Pass Interference from Indy through the debris field caused by Bill Polian's littering of the NFL Rule book...    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

IMO they should lose the spot foul on a PI call.  Make it 15 yards no matter how far downfield the foul was committed.  A 50 yard penalty is absolutely ridiculous.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

~It's a tough call...and some other poster commented on this contingency.  IF It's only a 15 yard Penalty, case-closed, a Defender in the D's Secondary could and would flagrantly foul a wideout who would have been certain to catch a deep, big-yardage pass.  Perhaps a guaranteed 15 yarder OR a Flagrant spot-foul...both 1st downs.  You're correct that Something indeed has to be done, because 40 and 50 yard penalties off of incidental and at times, non-existing contact, Is rather nauseating in the way it effects entire games.      

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

They should call a 15 yard  penalty on the pass receiver who bumps into the defender when the ball is uncatchable. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

There was too much pushing by both teams last night. A couple of cheats. Neither of those 2 makes it past the first round anyway, so who gives a rip.
    The Michael Irvin arm bar is alive and well thru out the league. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]NOTE: this is independent of any specific team in the league.  This is my general commentary on the state of the league. On the post-game show, Steve Young noted: "There are 7 or 8 of them are just football plays" and said: "I know the rules of pass interference, but they're called too often and they're big plays." During the game broadcast, the guys were sarcastically saying that the Ravens should just call long pass plays and hope for pass interference, which seemed to be a realistic assessment on how a team can now just throw the ball and hope for luck.  I know that's what the Bears did frequently with Hester last year, and consistently got the calls even when the ball was seemingly uncatchable. I think the league has gone too far, and I'd love to see the league rescind the illegal contact rule and reduce the number of pass interference penalties on both sides of the ball.   There's no player risk like with spearing or horse collar tackling - it's only convoluting good football by making the refs major players in games. Let them play.

Nick, did you just quote that lamo Steve Young? Please

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The league has changed the rules and points of emphasis enough so that it is now a pass first league. The writing is on the wall. We have never had this many QBs playing the best football of there careers. Pass interference is keeping defenders from playing NFL defense. Big Plays sell tickets and increase revenue. It will only get worst from here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

"There was too much pushing by both teams last night. A couple of cheats. Neither of those 2 makes it past the first round anyway, so who gives a rip."

Week 2.  IN SAN DIEGO.  'Nuff said.  Bolts aren't as good as you think they are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

"Nick, did you just quote that lamo Steve Young? Please"

Still bitter about him torching your hapless Bolts for 6 TD's in the 94 Super Bowl JBolt?  Please

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

[QUOTE]it took five posts for this to turn into an anti-colts rant. i applaud the efforts of NickC1188 to create this thread and emphasize that he wanted this to be a team-neutral thread and to be a real discussion. Sorry Nick, people just can't help themselves.
    Posted by number1troll[/QUOTE]
    The colts and pass interference are intertwined. Bill Polian used his influence on the competition committee to have the rules enforced to help his colts. Not discussing the colts in the topic of PI is like having a discussion about water and leaving out that's it wet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MNF on Pass Interference : The colts and pass interference are intertwined. Bill Polian used his influence on the competition committee to have the rules enforced to help his colts. Not discussing the colts in the topic of PI is like having a discussion about water and leaving out that's it wet.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

It's a LEAGUE-wide problem now, though.

Do you remember when the Jets played in Miami right after trading for Braylon Edwards?  Or how he ran a post that was overthrown that, given his hands, he probably wouldn't have caught anyways?  And how he tripped with minimal contact and was given a 40-some-odd yard penalty as a reward?

I don't care if I hate both teams - I honestly felt bad for Dolphins fans and anyone who loves the game.

That doesn't belong in football.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MNF on Pass Interference : The colts and pass interference are intertwined. Bill Polian used his influence on the competition committee to have the rules enforced to help his colts. Not discussing the colts in the topic of PI is like having a discussion about water and leaving out that's it wet.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

YEAH!  Enforcing rules is for pu**ies! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

UD I use to respect you as a fan of football and liked to read your posts you held your own very well in hostile territory. You usually stayed above the fray of insults and trolling. But of late you've become no better than leon with the dumb comments and trolling behavior that brings nothing to the debate....shame you were a good representative of the colts now you're just a troll.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Nick, I would be willing to bet that PI is discussed by all teams and that they will try to use it as a way to gain big yardage and use it in the endzone to get the ball at the one. Maybe it's not openly talked about but it's in the back of everyone s mind on both sides of the ball. Offense....OK we'll throw long maybe we hit it maybe we get a PI call.  Defense....OK their going throw long knock the ball down and absolutely don't interfere.

>>>that it's being talked about during games by the commentators just shows how pervasive this has become.