Mock Drafts say we are going to take..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

Mock Drafts say we are going to take..

Jerry Hughes, TCU
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 258.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.64.

Hughes is listed as an end but plays like a outside linebacker. He has better speed than he is given credit for and it would not be surprising to see a 4.4 (fourty yard dash) time next to his name come February. He chases the ball like a LB and, with his offensive history, looks almost natural catching the ball and has recorded three career INT so far. He is very fluid dropping back and changing directions though his natural burst and explosion are more evident moving forward. A relentless performer who is simply overwhelming for tackles to handle, Hughes not only looks to make sacks, but looks to make plays on the ball and force fumbles. Hughes blows off the line and closes quickly, rarely failing to at least get a hand on a QB even if pushed by. By the end of 2008, Hughes faced double and triple teams and was still too much for MWC foes to handle. Hughes is a player that makes opponents change their schemes, a true game changer that will go down as one of the best to ever play.

Right now he seems to be the minor consensus after checking about 10+ boards.
    Ranked as the top 3-4 defense rush LB by Waltersfootball.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Mock Drafts say we are going to take..

HE needs to refine his technique and keep his hands busier -- that will keep  tackles out of his pads. But he is about as good as any prospect here. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

I would be happy with any top ranked pass rusher being picked. I think it is apparent at this point that you must be able to pressure the opposing QB in order to have a chance on defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'd also be happy for them just to pick an impact pass rusher at 22. Just from watching Youtube clips Brandon Graham looks more impressive to me. Hughes is probably faster, but I would pick Graham in a fight and to hold the edge. Youtube clips can only tell you so much though...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'd be happy if they actually pick someone at 22 and don't trade it away for lesser value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BleedGreen4Ever. Show BleedGreen4Ever's posts

Who cares time for Bill to take his act to KC

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

It looks like Graham and Hughes have different strengths.

Graham is probably better against the run and fighting through blocks.

Hughes is better rushing in unblocked and in coverage.

Graham would be better than Hughes as a 4-3 end, while Hughes might even be able to play OLB in a 4-3.

Still not sure who is the better 3-4 OLB overall, but I've see speed rushers like Maybin and Everette Brown and Quintin Groves not make much of a difference.

Graham seems like the safer bet, but both could start together for us and be just what we need:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 6/16/2009
    Last: 1/20/2010

Who cares time for Bill to take his act to KC

The act of winning?  I can see why a Jests fan would say such a thing.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Mel Kiper's mock has us taking Rickey Sapp DE/OLB from Clemson, here's what he says:

New England Patriots

Record: 10-6

Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson

The Patriots clearly need help when it comes to getting to opposing quarterbacks, and Sapp is an ideal fit on the edge in the 3-4. He's the kind of athlete who can adjust to being upright and flat-out knows how to get to the quarterback.

Here's the scouting report on Sapp:

Scouting Report:  Although Sapp played primarily a stand up defensive end position in college, his build is perfectly suited to play the rush OLB position in a 3-4 defense.  If I were scouting his as a 4-3 DE, his scores would be slightly lower.  He's undersized to play a full time end, but his height and wingspan pair up very well with the hybrid OLB in the 3-4 defense.  He's got a super fast first step and does a nice job getting around or underneath tackles and just blows past them.  He does a great job, even if he doesn't get the sack bringing great pressure on the quarterback and has a decent mix of strength to go with all that speed.  In run support I like Sapp's motor and his willingness to give his body up so that others can make plays.  His speed also helps him chase and he's a sound tackler.  On the downside, Sapp doesn't have the power to disengage from linemen when he gets tangled up and teams at times will run at him, to account for him being too aggressive at times.  What this means is, Sapp has to learn to play with more discipline and control and understand his role better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats take Jason Paul-Pierre as that hybrid DE/OLB.  A lot of mock drafts have him going in the first round but I have a feeling he may drop down to the second round.  This guy has freaky long reach for his 6"6" height and very good speed.

Down side is that ESPN doesn't think he will be born until 2050 according to this bio.

Jason Paul-Pierre | Defensive Lineman

TEAM: College Player
    HEIGHT/WEIGHT:6'6' / 265
    DOB:1/1/2050
    COLLEGE:South Florida

Jason Paul-Pierre-DL- PlayerJan. 6 - 7:03 pm et
    South Florida DE Jason Paul-Pierre will forgo his final season with the Bulls and enter the NFL Draft.
    JPP only played one year at USF after transferring from JUCO, but paced Jim Leavitt's annually stout defense with 6.5 sacks and 16.5 tackles for loss, and forced a pair of fumbles. The 6'6/265-pound speed rusher is still raw, but offers boatloads of upside and will likely work out very well in February.
    Source: ESPN.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I will be shocked if we keep the pick................BB will trade down ...........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I posted that I think the 22nd pick will be traded, ou believe JPP will drop a bit as well as I do.

These type of players are a high risk and teams do not draft high and they do drop.  I think there will be three OLBs that can make an impact next season that will be there in the second round. 
    My scenario the pats trade 22nd to TB for their 1st of 2 2nd round picks as well as for their 3rd rounder.

TBs is the thrid overall in the 2nd round, perfect spot to pick the OLB or DL plus we gain a 3rd round pick which we don't have and I think we could use to pickup some additional help even a MLB to help in the rotation next to Mayo or RB a smaller 3rd down type back to take over KF once he's gone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Trading with TB for a second and third round picks wd be just about perfect in terms of the trade value attached to #22.  I would be all for this, because we could then literally control the board in the second to early third rounds.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

A punter

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Given recent draft strategies and the fact that there doesn't appear to be a "can't miss" guy out there who will get beyond the Rams or Lions, I would be very surprised if the Pats actually spend this pick on a prospect. Personally, I'm getting kind of used to the idea of trading down and out for "value" in some nebulous future that never comes. There's always at least one late-round gem who helps fans forget that the Pats brain trust takes a dim view of overpaying for potential. I have no doubt that this time next year, some fans will be pointing at guys whom the Pats could have had (the way they could have had one of those USC linebackers last year) and firing up their "Belichick is out of touch" takes.

As long as Chris Hanson's job is safe . . .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Random gusse Bill will trade out of the First round for two second round picks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

I heard from the water boy at Fenway Park that Belicheck and Kraft are going to trade all the first and second round picks so that they can have every pick in the seventh round.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The guy wont be born for another 40 years why would we want him?

Jason Paul-Pierre | Defensive Lineman

TEAM: College Player
    HEIGHT/WEIGHT:6'6' / 265
    DOB:1/1/2050
    COLLEGE:South Florida

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

One thing about that 22nd, after the Pats pick here's who is next and do they need LBs the answer is all these teams will have a void at LB with that been said if unlike other years you have a 3 or 4 OLBs picked before 22nd do we still pass?

Green Bay-Moved to a 3-4 lossing some OLBs need
    Philly - Could go DE/DT or LB but they will pick on the D side
    Ravens - Here they should go WR but could opt to bring youth to their LB unit
    Dallas - I think they go D but will pick a NT or DE
    Jets - They need to go WR here, although D is always possible with their coach
    Vikings - they will go offense IMO
    Colts - Their OL is still good but getting older, I think they look for OL or secondary help at safety
    Saints - They go D, either DE or LB

With all that you have 4 teams who will be shopping for LBs, if we trade out of the 22nd I hope all of the OLBs are still available if not we won't get one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Brandon Graham almost seems like he could be moved inside and make a beast of an ILB. He's stout, and as 24/7 mentioned he doesn't have the measurables BB likes at OLB, but I could see him adding some needed bulk where Guyton does not. Though I have no idea how he'd be in pass coverage.

Regardless, I'd rather see us take Kindle, Hughes or Graham or even Gresham at 22 to make sure we get an immediate impact player and then flip one of our 2nd rounders for an xtra pick...even if it's a next year's pick. The clock is ticking on Brady.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

They will trade every pick in this year's draft for value (2nd round and below) in next year's draft, especially since it is a uncapped year.

Yes I am being cynical.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Can't see BB taking hughes simply due to size. Right or wrong, he passed on a number of pass rushers last year, solely for that reason; brian orakpo, robert ayers, clay matthews, laurinaitis, larry english, etc. All are 6'3" or below.

Yes, they weren't all drafted following our pick but he could easily have moved up a few spots to take any of these people and choose not to.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I will rarely try to second-guess the Patriots' scouting staff.  Exception:  Wilhite is as small as Chris Canty.  I could have called that one. 

BB drafts people that are just too big.  Example:  Big Sey.  At 6 foot 6 he's too big to get under the opponents' pads, said the draft pundits.  BB liked his height.  Ty Warren, same issue, lots of strength.  The other too big guy recently is Sebastian Vollmer.  BB has also drafted lesser skyscrapers:  Pierre Woods was just a found penny, but he's 6'5".  Third rounder Crable may not get back on the field, but he's 6'5" with freakish arms. 

My untrained call is for Jason Paul-Pierre.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

Pats7393 I appreciate your thinking about who comes next and what do they need and I was in full support of previously trading a high pick for more lower picks. Here comes the BUT, that was when we had impact players, game changers and we could afford to try and pay less and get lucky. The Patriots need talent NOW.
    The league has become an dome,turf, pass all you want league. With the rules not supporting tight coverage of WR's you must be able to pressure the QB and disrupt or destroy the ability to pass.
    The Patriots MUST get a high end talent that can immediately become an OF coordinators problem.
    Huges is said to have a motor that doesn't stop. I want a player who is baller, that will, regardless of other teammates, impose his will on the other team. It is time for new player leadership on the Patriots.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from laeastcoaster. Show laeastcoaster's posts

What about this?

Trade Vince Wilfork And our 22nd pick to the Rams for their 1st pick, then we take Ndamukong Sue.

Good idea, bad idea? what do you think?