Morally reprehensible. The NFL must step in.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Morally reprehensible. The NFL must step in.

The Patriots are guilty of this as well, but the way the Broncos hurry to the line after questionable plays, is entirely wrong. They did it against the Ravens following Welker's drop, which was the turning point in the game. If that's challenged and the Broncs punt, that game may end very differently.  They've done the same two or three times today. 

I suppose you can't blame them for taking advantage of that loophole, but the NFL needs to step in and do something. The integrity of the game is being lost. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Morally reprehensible. The NFL must step in.

In response to dreighver's comment:

The Patriots are guilty of this as well, but the way the Broncos hurry to the line after questionable plays, is entirely wrong. They did it against the Ravens following Welker's drop, which was the turning point in the game. If that's challenged and the Broncs punt, that game may end very differently.  They've done the same two or three times today. 

I suppose you can't blame them for taking advantage of that loophole, but the NFL needs to step in and do something. The integrity of the game is being lost. 

What loophole?  The other coach should challenge the play then...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

What loophole?  The other coach should challenge the play then...

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the coach doesn't have the necessary time to receive notification from the replay-booth that he should challenge the play. You can't challenge what you haven't seen, or haven't been told to challenge. Going off the judgment of your eyes or the eyes of your player(s) is a risky proposition.

Furthermore, in one instance today, the Broncos hurried to the line after a questionable play which happened with under 2 minutes remaining in the half, meaning the coach couldn't challenge the play -- the onus was on the review booth to order a replay, and they had no chance to review the play. This is where this issue is magnified, as the coach can't challenge the play. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Smart strategy if you ask me. Morrally reprehensible to "retire from the board", rip most of the posters, and return the next day.   :)   Sorry, couldn't resist.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Smart strategy if you ask me. Morrally reprehensible to "retire from the board", rip most of the posters, and return the next day.   :)   Sorry, couldn't resist.

Not saying it isn't smart -- I can't blame them for doing it. The Pats are guilty as well. "Morally reprehensible" was a misnomer. "Fundamentally wrong" would've been a more apt phrase. 

Regardless of whether it's smart of not, the NFL must step in and do the right thing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I like it fine the way it is.  If a HC on the sideline can't trust his eyes he needs to put on his big boy pants.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Give the replay booth the power to stop the game after such a play to get it right.  Even if the other team pulls a fast one like Denver did, the replay booth could nullify that play to correct what everyone can see may be a clear bad call.

If the league felt that human nature should rule the roost, let the calls, good or bad fall as they do, then why did they allow replay and challenges in the first place?  Either assure the game is called right from the gitgo and not allow an incorrect call to influence the result of the game.  Imagine if that happend in a SB?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Bill, you nailed it. I think that's the ideal solution, and perhaps the only solution to the issue. The replay booth needs to be able to buzz down to the head official after any controversial play, stop the action, and review the previous play. 

Let's go Pats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I like it fine the way it is.  If a HC on the sideline can't trust his eyes he needs to put on his big boy pants.

What if the play happens on the opposite sideline? The head coach doesn't have a hope of getting a good look at what occurred. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

"If BB or any coach feel a call is baloney, just quickly reach for the red flag and drop it on the field."

Unfortunately, the coaches simply don't have the time to make an accurate evaluation given the speed at which offenses are moving. 

As Bill put it, what if a pivotal play in the Super Bowl was called incorrectly on the field, but the offense hurried to the line, snapped the ball, and what would've been obviously overturned upon review, never was looked at? 

The NFL needs to nip this in the bud. 

Let's go Pats!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

FrankDooley (AKA Rusty) .. either you want the games to be called right or not.  If we want to go back to the good ol' days of letting the calls stick, right or wrong, then that is the way it should be.  The NFL opened the pandora's box by allowing the challenges and if a team uses up the challenges, then an ensuing play SCREAMS for a challenge which could influence the result of the game, but it can't.  Why have it to begin with?  The replay booth could review plays which are clearly an incorrect call while the judgement calls in which it could go either way, can be let go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Huh? No.  It's wicked smaaaat football.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

FrankDooley (AKA Rusty) .. either you want the games to be called right or not.  If we want to go back to the good ol' days of letting the calls stick, right or wrong, then that is the way it should be.  The NFL opened the pandora's box by allowing the challenges and if a team uses up the challenges, then an ensuing play SCREAMS for a challenge which could influence the result of the game, but it can't.  Why have it to begin with?  The replay booth could review plays which are clearly an incorrect call while the judgement calls in which it could go either way, can be let go.

If you are going to go that far then every play should be reviewed. The competition commitee has already made it a rule that all scoring plays and change of posessions are automatically reviewed. Those are the two most egregious wrong calls that can be made and have the most effect on the game.  The other calls don't have nearly the same effect and those calls tend to even out over the course of the game. In any case the team that hurries up and gets a play off before a challenge flag can be thrown usually wastes the down. To me that makes it a wash!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't agree, I used to be a big fan of replay but it's losing its luster.  I feel like I'm watching a team of lawyers discuss what the definition of a catch, a wobble, a football move...

used to be you knew a catch when you saw it, you still do- but now you're wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

[QUOTE]

What if the play happens on the opposite sideline? The head coach doesn't have a hope of getting a good look at what occurred. 

[/QUOTE]

Then the HC relies on one of his 11 players that are on the field to give him quick counsel.  Adding another layer of review will introduce 5 hour games.   Not what I find enjoyable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

Personally, I say get rid of all the replays and the replay booth. Just play the game! Between all the replays, the challenges, and stupid comercials, NFL games are turning into snooze fests that rival MLB games. Are the officials human and sometimes make a mistake? Yes, but just deal with it. The best team will find a way to win, even with a blown call.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Oh, I thought you were talking about Rusty. My bad. Carry on.

One point though; if BDC can't get rid of him, I doubt the NFL can.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Hurrying to the line and snapping quickly can end up disastrous for teams as well. A quick snap like that could easily turn into a fumble or interception.

I like it and think that it is a good strategy. If the other coach wants to take the gamble by throwing the flag then they should do that.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.