more camp observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

more camp observations

Have had the chance to see 4 days now, including with pads. If my info is redundant, so be it, it has been a crazy week between Gillette and Fenway. Figures, the one thing I did not want to miss was the HOF induction of Bruschi, but I did not attend. I did remember to keep a journal and took notes;

-The media at the stadium feel there was a mixed message in BB's Armstead statement, and somehow his issues are related to past problems. Rather than get into an arguement with how the media hates BB, let me simply say I hope Armstead gets better quickly, and can contribute. I do think missing games looks like a real probability.

-I did like how Fortson looked. I do think the Pats must address the DT position. Vellano (sp?)  does not look like he belongs, maybe on the PS, but Pats need a 4th DT from day 1 imo

-The WR's got a lot of snaps, but I only saw a small portion. It was explained to me that this first week is simply getting acclimated, and getting used to the speed of the Pats practices and hitting. Week 2 will be much more difficult, with the young guys expected to digest the plays and execute them properly. Rather than simply use speed and athleticism, the WR's will need to be on the same page as the QB's. That being said, the most impressive guy that I saw was DA. The 2nd most impressive was Sufdeld. IMO Ford can make this team. Really nice hands, now we have to see if he can exist in this offense.

-I have seen nothing from camp so far that would lead me to think that TT is anything but a QB. (I have not been watching him full time however). TT's throwing is sub par IMO. I have not seen the Pats run anything different for TT with regards to the offense...he has come out and made the same throws as TB and Mallett.

-Mallett can and will definately play in this league. all he needs is experience

-Vereen IMO is the fastest guy on the team. Washington is #2. Slater is #3. Boyce may crack the top 3

-The new punter (did not get his name), will play in this league

-Ghost was automatic all week.

-Most others seem down on Ras. I thought he looked great. He is 100% in great shape, he is moving very well, he is tackling better than any other CB. Let him shake the rust off...he could start for this team

-M Cole will make this team. He played CB, S, ST, returned KO's and Punts.

-Bequette-still meh for me

-Cannon-most improved on the team over last year imo

-Ridley-Troy Brown said if he doesnt clean up on ball control, BB will not play him, regardless of how well he runs. DOesnt matter. With BB, ball control is first and foremost. I believe T Brown

-very, very impressed with Collins

-I made a point of watching Jones the last day. He is 100% healthy, is bigger than last year. IMO the physical part of a pro bowler are evident. It is up to Patricia to put Jones in a position to make plays. People (Rusty) will laugh. In a Rex Ryan defense, Jones would challenge 20 sacks per year.

-Hightower was rushing the QB a lot more than I recall him doing last year. I wonder if Nink is resigned? I hope so. Big Nink fan here

-I am a big believer in the BB-ism "the bus is rolling, get on or get left behind"...but I dont get that impression with Connolly. He can take his time until he is ready. He is solid and an important player, either starting or backing up.

-TT seems to be keeping the hordes in control. He is not playing into them, like Ocho did. I was told by Cimini that TT did play up that angle with the Jets...glad to see TT is doing what it takes to make the team, although he has not thrown well. I read pre camp all these guys and personal coaches saying TT made all these adjustments and he looks great. I dont see it. Still see wounded ducks, poor ball placement and holding the ball forever. Bad fit for this offense

-the "Rutgers Guys" havent stood out at all. Cant recall anything positive or negative on them.

-Ebner seems like he will be a long shot. Frankly, I was surprised he made it last year

-I would not be shocked, surprised yes, but not shocked, if Lloyd came back towards the end of camp. DA, Edelman, Lloyd, Dobson, Boyce, Slater. Gronk, Sudfeld, Ford, Hooman. A very happy TB.

-anyone hear what happened to Bolden? did not see him for a couple of days. Team is silent as far as I know??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Re: more camp observations

Veren seems the fastest!? Very interesting. Thanks for the updates!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Again, much appreciated, rkarp.  I love that Ras-I looks good, and Ford has been a dark-horse favorite of mine all along. I think it would be cool if both him and Sudfeld made it. Glad to hear Cole looks good, too. I like him better than Ebner. I hope Armstead doesn't miss any games, but his status is clearly up in the air.  All things considered, sounds like camp is moving along pretty well. I'm also thrilled that Collins I looking this good this early!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

ditto..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great info.  Thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks, rkarp.  Good stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

thanks for the first-hand feedback ... 

maybe some observations from next week will change your mind, but who do you think BB will try to keep under the radar and slide onto the practice squad?

also, which returning players do you see as being in the most jeopardy of being cut?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Nice stuff Rkarp.

I know it's only been 4 days and it's way too early to tell, but which WRs have looked well behind the others?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Nice stuff Rkarp.

I know it's only been 4 days and it's way too early to tell, but which WRs have looked well behind the others?

Yeah Rkarp.. you said DA looked great and I know you have already commented on the other WR's, but could please elaborate again on the other WR's a little more?  Curious as most probably are...  Thanks again, and great info. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Nice stuff Rkarp.

I really cant tell. I think so far it has been a pitch and catch. Few more days until they get serious.  The young guys are very athletic, that is obvious. Remains to be seen how they look in "real practice"....last year that is when it was obvious Ocho was out of place.

Taking a real early shot, yhe guy that LOOKS the worst imo is Jenkins. Hawkins to me looks very good. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Good stuff again rkarp, thank you.

By "Rutgers Guys" I assume you are talking about 3rd round DBs Ryan and Harmon. Anything positive from these guys would be a plus but there's a bunch of guys ahead of them on the depth chart. Health permitted, they should only be needed as backups.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:

thanks for the first-hand feedback ... 

maybe some observations from next week will change your mind, but who do you think BB will try to keep under the radar and slide onto the practice squad?

also, which returning players do you see as being in the most jeopardy of being cut?

Way too early. Best to discuss after first game. But I would not be surprised if Jenkins is let go to latch on early with another team

practice squad

Vellano

Beauharnis

Buchanon

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nice! I think I'm heading down there tomorrow, I hope it's in pads...I went down there once and they were in shorts practicing special teams all day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Awesome stuff rkarp.  Thanks for posting all of that.  Very interesting to read and compare to what is being reported in other outlets.

I read where Dobson was held out of practice yesterday do to someone stepping on his ankle.  It was reported that he was limping around yesterday on the sidelines and should be back tomorrow.  Does this fit your observation?

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Awesome stuff rkarp.  Thanks for posting all of that.  Very interesting to read and compare to what is being reported in other outlets.

I read where Dobson was held out of practice yesterday do to someone stepping on his ankle.  It was reported that he was limping around yesterday on the sidelines and should be back tomorrow.  Does this fit your observation?

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

I have a hard enough time watching who and what is on the fields. I did not notice Dobson injured. 12 WR's at practice, all new. 

Btw, I did the Kraft spot on M and M. He was funny, outgoing and comfortable. Does that dispel the anti Pats nonsense from ESPN spouted by Rusty?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I read this regarding Dobson this morning by Paul Perillo,
    During Monday night's practice inside Gillette Stadium, Dobson tried to make a catch as he was running full speed toward the sideline. He staggered his steps trying to keep his feet in bounds and then had trouble slowing himself once he passed the area where the benches would normally be. He was unable to stop his momentum before he made contact with the track-like surface that rings the field, and once his cleats hit it he went down. Dobson got up slowly and jogged back toward the offense, but he appeared to be shaken up on the play. It's possible his absence on Tuesday was a result of that play, and we'll have to wait to see if the hiccup has any affect on the progress he's made thus far. On a positive note, Dobson did make an appearance in shorts and walked around the field about midway through the practice.
    http://www.patriots.com/news/blog/article-1/Tuesday-practice-observations/7541ce8d-9998-4dcf-b7c1-aed21cc1ca94

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

rkarp,

Anything about Tompkins today?  National sports media is already mentioning him.

Thanks,

K

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Nice to see RKrap on his best behavior. Nice agenda-less reports.  Matches what I am getting as well for the most part.

Wow. Really? Wow. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Wow. Really? Wow.

It warms the cockles of your heart doesn't it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

For some reason, I really want Ras-I to make the team and challenge Dennard for that CB position.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Great stuff Rkarp you can't find stuff this good from any media outlet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

Nice to see RKrap on his best behavior. Nice agenda-less reports.  Matches what I am getting as well for the most part.

Wow. Really? Wow. 

[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with RKarp here--Very condescending and a know -it -all sound from Rusty-I second the WOW! Sounds like Russ is the GM of the team and this board?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Great post, rkarp, thanks.

Hope Dowling makes the team - and stays healthy! Hope TT doesn't make it. Waste of a roster spot IMO.

I'm starting to get hopefull with the D. A lot of quality, and a lot of depth minus DT, where they could use another contributer. Could be the best Patriots D in many years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I really cant tell. I think so far it has been a pitch and catch. Few more days until they get serious.  The young guys are very athletic, that is obvious. Remains to be seen how they look in "real practice"....last year that is when it was obvious Ocho was out of place.

Taking a real early shot, yhe guy that LOOKS the worst imo is Jenkins. Hawkins to me looks very good. 

Thanks for the first hand account I enjoy reading it. As I read it and digest it, I find it funny that within hours of you posting this, Hawkins was cut!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Great stuff Rkarp you can't find stuff this good from any media outlet.

Wozzy. I disagree. I am really enjoying Ben Volin. He is putting out interesting and insightful info....good guy (dare I say kid?)

Wozzy, this is not a negative comment, just an observation from camp. Based on personel I see at camp, I fully expect the Pats base D to be 4-3. I just don't see the size and edge setters to play a 3-4. That being said, the DT position in a base 4-3 needs 4 DT on the 45 man game day roster to keep everyone fresh. I honestly do not see 4 currently on the team, assuming Armstead is not quite ready. Thoughts?