More Proof That Peyton Is Overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[Quote]"My point still stands that manning's games in the last 2 playoff losses were good enough to win those games."

Dogg, that simply doesn't make any sense. If a QB plays well enough to win, that means his team wins. It doesn't matter if the D gives up 100 points, if your QB doesn't put up 101 points, he didn't play well enough to win the game. And I'm not singling out the QB here, it goes for everyone (e.g. the guard didn't block well enough to win the game, etc).[/Quote]

Mighty - So in your scenario, why even rate QB's or RB's etc? Rate the team only because all players win and lose as a team. The failure of one is the failure of all. Isn't that your perspective?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]

Tex, think about what you're saying. You're saying that our team was so bad, we couldn't hang on to a 21-3 lead because of two penalties? Good teams overcome penalties. We didn't. It was our fault.[/Quote]

Think about what you're saying. Were not talking about overcoming a loss of 10 yards. We're talking about spotting the home team 14 points (one TD given by bogus PI call, and one taken away by a bogus offensive PI call). How many teams can overcome that? Why should they have to overcome such biased officiating? In addition, the momentum swings that were caused by the aforementioned bogus calls are also damaging.

Its' a nice PC, "lets' hold hands" statement to say that good teams overcome bad calls. But, thats' BS. Statements like these merely tend to perpetuate biased officiating, as they serve to let the refs off the hook.

If the refs spotted the Cassel-led Pats 14 points against Peyton's boys this year, which team would have won?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]

Tex, think about what you're saying. You're saying that our team was so bad, we couldn't hang on to a 21-3 lead because of two penalties? Good teams overcome penalties. We didn't. It was our fault.[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]TP - I will respond later, but unless you want the same as you got before, the grasshopper bs better be the last.[/Quote]

Bring it on, boy!

You're mad about "Grasshopper"? I guess you're not a "Kung Fu", starring David Carradine, fan. Oh, thats' right...Indiana didn't discover the TV untill 1990. Maybe another poster will clue you in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[Quote]

Bring it on, boy!

You're mad about "Grasshopper"? I guess you're not a "Kung Fu", starring David Carradine, fan. Oh, thats' right...Indiana didn't discover the TV untill 1990. Maybe another poster will clue you in.[/Quote]

Honestly, Toilet Paper, you are not that smart and your comments about Indiana are played. Where exactly do they come from?

I don't need any affectionately condescending teacher master BS from you. Your methods of reason are LIGHT YEARS behind me.

So, I guess it will continue as it has - Torched Poster. Still I will respond to your continued pathetic perspective as promised.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[Quote]

Mighty - So in your scenario, why even rate QB's or RB's etc? Rate the team only because all players win and lose as a team. The failure of one is the failure of all. Isn't that your perspective?[/Quote]

Yes, evaluate a player as part of a team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

OK, folks, time to stick a fork in it, wouldn't you say? This string has totally gotten off topic with name calling and talking about past game results. Let's leave it at this.. regardless of the opinions of fans here, both QB's are going to be in the HoF and we can't change that, can we?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]

Honestly, Toilet Paper, you are not that smart and your comments about Indiana are played. Where exactly do they come from?

RESPONSE: Is that the best you can do? If the Grasshopper thing bothered you that much, you're obviously very insecure...and your skin is about as thick as toilet paper

I don't need any affectionately condescending teacher master BS from you. Your methods of reason are LIGHT YEARS behind me.

RESPONSE: Oh, thats' right. You don't need hope...just a lot of prayer, and an infusion of brains.

So, I guess it will continue as it has - Torched Poster. Still I will respond to your continued pathetic perspective as promised.

RESPONSE: "Torched poster??"...LOL!!

[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It is said that the Shaolin priest can walk through walls.
    Looked for, he cannot be seen.
    Listened for, he cannot be heard.

This rice paper is the test.

When you can walk its length, leaving no trace of your passing . . .

You will have learned.

Awesome.

Totally awesome.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[Quote]OK, folks, time to stick a fork in it, wouldn't you say? This string has totally gotten off topic with name calling and talking about past game results. Let's leave it at this.. regardless of the opinions of fans here, both QB's are going to be in the HoF and we can't change that, can we?[/Quote]

I agree with bill. No one on this board is interested in watching two people hurl insults at each other week after week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]

I agree with bill. No one on this board is interested in watching two people hurl insults at each other week after week.[/Quote]

Mighty One:

On the contary, I bet that many people are this board are entertained by my little discussion with Dogg, a/k/a "m". I know I am...LOL!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mighty One:

You're the same guy who complained about my "Steelers Were Fortunate Pats' Didn't Make the Playoffs" thread. But, you may notice that the thread has now garned almost 100 posts...and that the "Manning Overrated" thread now has close to 150 posts.

Apparently, someone is interested.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Ok -

First off, Texas Pat has personal delusions of grandeur and thinks his opinions are irrefutable and factual even amongst his own Pat posting friends. He does not concede points, even when he is wrong.

The basis of this thread was to expose Peyton Manning as overrated by using an article which shows Warner's statistics better than Manning's. We'll get to that, but the thread title begs the question, where is he rated? Only within the last few posts did we find out that TP thinks others think Manning is one of the best of all time. Which means what? How many QB's have played in the NFL. TP ranked Manning 13th. I'd say that puts him up there with the best ever. So at its base, I think TP's thread like TP is full of hot air.

Back to the article. First, I've never addressed the manning/warner question. I certainly think Warner deserves some consideration as one of the best ever. Only his years as a back up will hurt him. But the guy has 2 mvp's, and will play in his 3rd SB. He merits consideration. I'd say they are at least equals.

Nine different posters said they would take Manning over Warner. Whether I agree or not does not matter. These people disagree with Texas Pat and the article he used. That matters.

Again with the article, while there are plenty of statistics to make the point, as many have said statistics can be used to make any point. this begs the question why is the author making the point? Who know what his agenda is, but I did notice that his outfit (CHFF) is based in Quincy, MA. He writes for the Boston Herald. Didn't all pats fans permanantly repudiate everything associated with the Herald? another CHFF writer wrote for a different mass paper. One CHFF writer is from Quincy. Another played lacrosse with belichick in college. One might quickly surmise that these guys might be pro-pats which wouldn't make it a stretch to label them anti-colts, but maybe its just a coincidence.

TP then switched to an indy columnist who attempted to suggest that maybe the colts should get rid of the offensive coaches and not the DC who resigned under pressure. I read the article again and there really wasn't an indictment of Manning in this article as TP would have you believe. This is what TP said.

Heres' yet another excellent article from Indy sports columnist Bob Kravitz, which criticizes the Meeks firing...and lays the blame for the latest Indy choke exactly where it belongs...at the feet of Mr. Wonderful and his OL

The truth is, Kravitz mentions the SD game only once, and he does not cite manning as the problem, just TP who does not read nor comprehend very well.

Texas Pat also likes to use facts that others may not choose to explore. On 4 different occassions on this thread TP mentions that Manning led teams averaged less than 2 tds in his 15 playoff games. This is absolutely incorrect. If my calculation is correct, in Manning's 15 games, the Colts averaged 22.8 pts per game. Check it.

Here are his quotes:
    1.has been able to muster only a disgraceful 13.6 points per playoff game...2.and that he has led his vaunted offense to less than 2 TDs per playoff game...3.and has "led" his team to less than 2 TDs per game, for each playoff game?...4.His record in the playoffs is a concrete fact...as is the 13.6 points per game average per playoff game.

I am sure this was mere oversight, but don't let TP spew facts. Make him prove it.

Folks, I think Manning is a great QB. Brady has certainly done more. Manning has had to do more given a poor defense, but still Brady has been far more successful. That said there is no other QB over the last 10 years that has performed as consistantly well as manning which is why he's earned 3 mvps. And while superbowl victories are the easy and only measuring stick a pats fan may use since no one can compare in this decade, a team must first get to the playoffs which Manning has done more effectively than any QB. Where manning will find himself compared to other qb's at the end of his career is anybody's question. His body of work, now, however, makes him as good as anyone in the last 10 years save maybe Brady.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[Quote]

antoinew:

You've got to be kidding.

1.) Tom Brady;

2.) Joe Montana;

3.) Bart Starr;

4.) Otto Graham;

5.) John Unitas;

6.) John Elway;

7.) Terry Bradshaw;

8.) Roger Staubach;

9.) Dan Marino;

10.) Brett Favre

11.) Sammy Baugh

12.) Kurt Warner

13.) Peyton Manning

[/Quote]

My Top 10 on QB's that I got to watch play.

1. Montana
    2. Brady
    3. Staubach
    4. Elway
    5. Favre
    6. Bradshaw
    7. P. Manning
    8. Marino
    9. Young
    10. Tarkenton

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg:

Welcome back, Grasshopper.

Don't try to change the topic. The question is, whether or not Peyton Manning is overrated. Obviously, he is. Why? Because he has consistently choked in big games. Do you deny that?

You have claimed that Manning wasn't at fault for this latest Indy playoff choke against the SD Chargers. Are you actually claiming that Mr. MVP did his job by "leading" his team to just 17 points? If I were to have told you before the Colts and Chargers played that the Indy defense would hold the Chargers' offense to just 17 points for the game...wouldn't you have run to Vegas and bet the house on the Colts?

You have criticized the fact that I've failed to recognize Mr. Wonderful as one of the top 10 QBs of all-time. The way the media treats him, its' taken as a given that hes' top 10 material. But, he isn't. Why?

1.) He consistently chokes in big games. In the 8 games that the Colts have lost in the playoffs, Manning has managed to put up less than 2 TDs per game;

2.) Though he has put up some gaudy stats, those stats are skewed. Why? Because he plays in a pass-happy era...and is the primary beneficiary of the Polian passing rules. What kind of stats would great QBs such as John Elway, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, have put up playing under the same rules?

3.) Hes' had the benefit of being surrounded by all-star WRs and RBs. For example, do you really think that he could have managed what Tom Brady did in 2006...going to an AFC title game with WRs Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney?; and

4.) Hes' been extremely well protected by a very good OL. If you check his sack totals, you'll find that he has been sacked very few times over the course of his career.

I listed the following QBs ahead of him. Heres' why:

1.) TOM BRADY: More SB wins...a 15-3 record in playoff games. Has done far more with less talent surrounding him;

2.) BART STARR: More SB wins. He has the best winning percentage of all QBs in playoff games. He won with WRs like Max McGee, Carroll Dale, and Boyd Dowler, though he did have a great OL and running game to back him up for most of his career;

3.) JOE MONTANA: SB wins. Though he, like Manning, was surrounded by get WRs and a top flight OL, Joe Cool performed at his best in the big games;

4.) JOHN ELWAY: Perhaps the most physically gifted QB of all-time. John won with a bunch of no-name RBs and average WRs. When he finally was surrounded by more talent (RB Terrell Davis), he won back to back SBs, though late in his career;

5.) JOHN UNITAS: The greatest QB in Colts' history won an NFL title, and, but for the Packer dynasty, would have won more. Put up great numbers in the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" era. John didn't have the benefit of playing most of his games in a climate controlled dome;

TIME OUT!! Lets' stop here for a moment. Are we in agreement that these 5 guys are better than Mr. Wonderful? If not, who is Manning better than, and why?

6.) TERRY BRADSHAW: Though Bradshaw played on great teams, every time he took his team to the SB, he won. Had Bradshaw played in the era of the Polian Rules, he too would have put up eye-popping stats. Now you may say...well...Peyton could have won all those SBs with that defense, too. But, given his propensity to choke in big games, I don't think you can make that statement;

7.) ROGER STAUBACH: A great leader. "Captain comeback" was seemingly always at his best in the 4th quarter. Won two SB titles and, but for the great Steeler teams of the 70s, would have won two more. There was no choke in Roger;

8.) OTTO GRAHAM: Without question, the best QB of his era. The Cleveland Browns of the 50s were almost as dominant as the Patriots in this decade. Graham was a winner. Some say that he was the greatest QB of all-time;

9.) SAMMY BAUGH: Perhaps on par with John Elway as a QB with great physical tools. Also starred as a DB in his day, and as a punter. The best QB of his era;

10.) DAN MARINO: The biggest knock on Dan is that he never won a championship. But, he wasn't surrounded by top flight skill position players like Peyton. What kind of stats would Dan have put up if he played under the Polian passing rules?

TIME OUT!! Are we in agreement that these guys are better than Mr. Wonderful? If not...who is he better than, and why?

In closing, Peyton has proven to be an excellent regular season QB, who, for whatever reason, gags in big games. That the national media has built him up as perhaps the greatest QB of all-time is a joke. He has put up his big numbers while surrounded by great offensive talent, and while playing in a controlled environment (dome). None of the other great QBs played the vast majority of their games in perfect weather conditions.

I've enjoyed our little sparring session. I must admit that I did post some things purposely to provoke you. Couldn't let you off the hook too easy after you called me a "MF".

That said, I think its' time to bury the hatchet...and kiss and make-up. The ball is in your court.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Where is Dan Fouts on any of these lists?

Fouts was awesome.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Why does Master Po call you Pissmeyer?

hee hee hee

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Texas Pat - there was no topic change. I pointed out what the thread was about and responded to it. You have been proven to be obstinate, fickle (how can you be both - only to because you stand by a very refutable point), misleading, general, lazy, and a liar, and all because you are not man enough to admit your mistakes.

Peyton Manning is not overrated. There is only 1 QB (and this incluldes Warner) during Manning's 10 years that has at least his resume. Brady. Don't know how you can be overrated as one of the top 2.

Sorry but Manning didn't choke in the last 2 games, and since this is manning specific, I have been very specific about that. You don't agree? The prior season was his SB - 4 wins. Before then, AS I SAID BEFORE, you can argue as you like. But I am not giving you that point. Prove to me that he did choke, and don't just say because he lost.

In the SD game, if you had told me that Manning would have an average starting position of like the 6 yard line, I would have said, yes 17 points might be right. You don't like to give credit where credit is due. The SD punting game killed the colts.

I hate to tell you this pat, but you have to play a season before you get to the playoffs. In 30% of Peyton's he was the MVP, and that is a fact. In 2 of those seasons he was recognized for getting his team to a place without great help from his D. In those two years, his stats weren't gaudy, just very effective given the circumstance. He had 1 gaudy year like Brady did. No shame there.

You put up what ifs about other QB's. We can't know what would happen if they played today, but all of them would have a different cast of characters due to Free agency.

Has anyone ever come to the conclusion that the QB can also make the receiver better? Manning and his receivers work constantly to get better. The colts chose to resign them. Unlike the pats with brady's early receivers. Who knows what those receivers would have been had they stayed. I'd venture to say that Wayne would have been a decent #2 somewhere else. Stokely hasn't been anything since he left. Clark got his 1st probowl this year. Harrison has been spectacular, which is incredible given his size.

His O line has been effective, but they have rotated. The only 2 constants were Saturday and Glenn (who has now been gone 2 years). But this is no different than the pats. Put a good pass blocking o line in front of a good QB and he will find receivers All pro or not.

1. Don't know if Johnny U is better than Manning. Don't have the historical knowledge.

2. Neither Staubach nor Bradshaw played in Free agency. Both had the benefit of whole team continuity (not just offense but also defense)

3. Baugh and Graham - different eras incomparable - and if you are going to say such glowing things about them why does brady get the nod? oh, because you are a pats fan.

4. Marino - if championships are the decider, then he can't be there. But you know that. You will lie to make a point. You've proven that. Yes, clayton and duper were bad receivers.

Don't know that I have ever, EVER heard the media say that Manning is the best ever. May have heard them say that when he is done he would be considered amongst them. Have heard them say he may hold most of the passing records when he is done. But best ever now - You are hearing ghosts.

The one thing about pats fans that I don't get is that they love the "just play football" mentality of their team, but then hate when they are not talked about in every reporters breath. Reporters have to have news and when there is no news because nothing is said (this is the pats way), then a reporter has nothing to talk about. Yet you complain and complain when reporters talk about other teams. They do it because they have material. They have sound bites and interviews, etc. Take your SB's and quiet ways and be proud of that, but don't condemn the reporters when they have nothing to say about the pats because they were given nothing.

Texas Pat, so no comment on your constant lying throughout this thread?

Nothing at all about misconstruing an article?

You have again exposed yourself as the very kind of troll you hate.

Funny that you like to think of yourself as reputable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg:

Just because Manning is the second best QB in his era, does not make him a top 10 all-time great QB. Both Baugh and Graham were the best QBs of their era. You seem to concede that Brady, Starr, Montana, and Elway are better QBs. You have no historical data on Unitas? Why don't you find it? Keep in mind that Johnny didn't have the benefit of the Polian passing rules, or of playing in a dome.

The main reason why Manning is so overrated is because he needs optimal conditions for him to succeed. He needs:

1.) good weather;

2.) to be surrounded by great skilled players; and

3.) great protection.

The other top 10 guys could win without some of these three attributes. Make Manning move his feet in the pocket, and he becomes a very average QB.

Are you seriously going to argue that Manning made Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and Reggie Wayne?? All three of these guys were #1 draft choices, who blossomed into stars.

How can you continue to defend this choke artist who "led" his team to an average of less than 2 TDs per playoff game...has a losing record in playoff games...and who, even in most of the playoff games he won, didn't play well? Those are facts...not lies. Him winning the MVP in the Colts lone SB win was a joke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg:

As you know, we differ on whether Peyton was primarily responsible for Indy's 23-17 OT disaster in San Diego. You keep saying that he wasn't, because he consistently had poor starting field position.

But, shouldn't truly great QBs, especially MVPs, be able to overcome a bit of adversity, such as beginning drives from inside their own 20 yard line?

Why do you continue to give this guy a pass?

Though I may have posted this article before, here it is again: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9033410/NFL-Truths:-
    Peyton's-a-choker,-LT-is-done-in-S.D

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You don't know about Johnny Unitas and you think the Marks brothers were bad receivers? And you expect some serious football talk????

Johnny Unitas will probably always be in the top three just because his play revolutionized football itself.

And blaming a playoff loss on a punter just sounds silly. Indy started inside the 10 four times, three were 3 and out, one was a 91 yard Td on blown coverage. Their defense played awesome, their offense couldn't buy a first down.

Most notably when it was 3rd and 2 and Manning had the right play called and couldn't get it out in time. Even Dungy said that.

He let his defense down after a stupendous performance. You can't hold the second best offense in the NFL beneath 20 points for five quarters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

TP

You are just as dim witted now as you were before.

I should have said that I cannot speak to Bart Starr either. Tell you what rather than have me look it up why don't you provide some more of your false statistics to prove your point. You made it not me. Don't make me prove your point prove it yourself. Otherwise it is all opinion.

No I cannot argue with Montana, Elway, or Brady. Although Brady is going to need to play another 5 years before he will end up in the same breath with these guys. Why, because longevity matters. If this injury affects him (which I do not think it will) then he will his status will drop.

So lets see, manning had good weather in the SB, agreed? Had good weather in Baltimore the same year? Won @ KC in 03. Bad weather losses - these are assumptions - @NYJ 02, @NE 03, @NE04. That's 3 and 3.

I did some looking up and Manning has definitely had some bad games. At least 2. But here is a more critical point in these losses - rushing 99 @TN - edge 56, george 162; 2000 @ Mia - edge 107, smith 209; 2002 @NYJ indy 52, nyj 169; 2004 @NE - Edge 39, NE 200; 2005 Pit - Indy 58, Pit 113; 2007 SD - Indy 50, SD 99; 2008 @SD Indy 65, SD 154.

Only in 03 did Indy run evenly with NE and Manning really stunk it up.

In Indy's wins, the rushing comparison has generally been more even. Indy won 3 of them significantly. As good as a QB is his offense needs to be able to run the ball and the defense needs to be able to stop the run. Seldom does pass only win games. I would bet we would find this to be true with Brady also.

As for great skilled players, I don't buy this. The pats could have chosen to keep their WR's to create continuity. they chose not to. I say manning could have done similar things that Brady has done with the receivers Brady has had.

As for protection, what great QB had bad protection? Silly comment TP.

Finally, give up on the less than 2 TD's per game for manning in the P.O.s. I already refuted it with facts. That you continue with this shows your willingness to blatantly lie to make a point and that puts you in the same league as your favorites Toga and Hess. No better.

By the way - the grasshopper would have kicked your a--. You are all smoke and mirrors. No depth. Just a facade. You are Madoff. No value. None.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[Quote]You don't know about Johnny Unitas and you think the Marks brothers were bad receivers? And you expect some serious football talk????

Johnny Unitas will probably always be in the top three just because his play revolutionized football itself.

And blaming a playoff loss on a punter just sounds silly. Indy started inside the 10 four times, three were 3 and out, one was a 91 yard Td on blown coverage. Their defense played awesome, their offense couldn't buy a first down.

Most notably when it was 3rd and 2 and Manning had the right play called and couldn't get it out in time. Even Dungy said that.

He let his defense down after a stupendous performance. You can't hold the second best offense in the NFL beneath 20 points for five quarters.[/Quote]

Totally agree wth you that the marks brothers were excellent (I was being facetious, because TP said Marino didn't have great receivers). don't know why TP doesn't agree. Probably just to argue.

Youtube the play that was called on the 3rd and 2 and you will see Manning's receivers covered and an unblocked blitzer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg:

Here I am, trying to be civil with you, and have a reasoned discussion...and you still insist on name-calling and personal attacks.

But, I understand. I realize many posters who know that they are on the losing end of a discussion often resort to these types of tactics.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

We've already been through this.

#1 Look at the NFL and Youtube. NFL shows a receiver open. Wide open. and even looking at youtube and calling them covered like it gets Manning off is ridiculous. Crossing routes with a man bhind isn't covered.

For the thrid time, here is the link: http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=highlights&campaign=0009

This isn't some game cast overhead that misses all of the action downfield. This is right behind Manning. You see what he sees.

#2 It is Manning's business to ID a blitzing player on the second level. He was staring his receiver down. If he sees that then you call the hot route.

#3 Listen to Dungy. Right play, couldn't get the ball out. He said it first. Not me.

Lastly he choked all game long. 17 points against the Chargers is awful. The Steelers dropped a thirty spot on the same crew a week later. That is right, the Steelers.

Once again. If Manning needs 200 yards rushing, great defense to beat an 8-8 team with no defense, then he just isn't close to GOAT.

Sometimes things go wrong, and we measure QBs by their ability to CARRY a damaged or underperformin team. He doesn't have that ability. He needs elite protection, great receivers and a great running game and a great defense.