MOSS TRADE = Good or Bad?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

MOSS TRADE = Good or Bad?

OK ...

For the sake of argument , lets say there's no other shoe to drop here.

There's no other moving parts involving player(s) being aquired from other teams.

It's Randy Moss & a 2011 7th round pick for Vikes 3rd rounder .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Re: MOSS TRADE = Good or Bad?

For the record...just at face value , I vote an emphatic NO .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: MOSS TRADE = Good or Bad?:
    [QUOTE]For the record...just at face value , I vote an emphatic NO .
    Posted by CapFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Was Moss's declining attitude and refusal to block good for the team?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I actually thought Randy was doing an OK job blocking this season .

HOWEVER , now that his halftime blow-up with O'Brien has been revealed ,,,it sheds new light on the WHY part of the equation
    ( Though maybe we could have just dealt O'Brien to Vikes for a can of soup ? )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I've noticed that his blocking has been less than enthusiastic lately, too. I voted yes, but not because I necessarily wanted him gone. I'd rather they have the 07 mojo going, but it just wasn't happening. The ways it's good is that they dealt him to the NFC. They got what they would have had he split in FA in March. And they avoided any possible (not saying it had started yet) negative effect on the young guys. It was probably the best thing they could do given the situation. They seemed to do a lot better with him not having a catch than they did the previous game where Brady kept throwing to him (leading to 2 INTs). Sometimes you need to know when it's time to say goodbye. We'll see the effect in a couple weeks. I refuse to think Brady will let one player's leaving derail the season. In any case "it is what it is". I'm just glad now I didn't spend $75 on that #81 jersey!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]I've noticed that his blocking has been less than enthusiastic lately, too. I voted yes, but not because I necessarily wanted him gone. I'd rather they have the 07 mojo going, but it just wasn't happening. The ways it's good is that they dealt him to the NFC. They got what they would have had he split in FA in March. And they avoided any possible (not saying it had started yet) negative effect on the young guys. It was probably the best thing they could do given the situation. They seemed to do a lot better with him not having a catch than they did the previous game where Brady kept throwing to him (leading to 2 INTs). Sometimes you need to know when it's time to say goodbye. We'll see the effect in a couple weeks. I refuse to think Brady will let one player's leaving derail the season. In any case "it is what it is". I'm just glad now I didn't spend $75 on that #81 jersey!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

lately? try whole career

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to MOSS TRADE = Good or Bad?:
    [QUOTE] OK ...  For the sake of argument , lets say there's no other shoe to drop here.    There's no other moving parts involving player(s) being aquired from other teams. It's Randy Moss & a 2011 7th round pick for Vikes 3rd rounder .
    Posted by CapFoxboro[/QUOTE]

I reckon it is a no because letting him go now without getting a player in return to help the team this year has just weakened the current team. Moss is one of the best deep threats in the game and they let him go for a 3rd round draft pick? What happens now Welker gets double teamed and the Pats have no deep threat. I bet Brady is not too pleased

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I really liked Moss, but I really hated the 2007 style offense.  In my head Moss represented the heart and soul of the 2007 style offense.  Even in 2007, it's easy to forget that from the Eagles game onward, it was good, but not great.

So while I liked Moss, if this leads to the team abandoning anything and everything that looks like the 2007 offense then I'm happy.  If this leads to Brady regularly completing to 5-8 different receivers a game then I am happy.  Just a hunch, but I predict that if Brady starts throwing to as many receivers as he used to, you will also find that his "clutch" factor returns.  I think it was his willingness and ability to look at every player with two hands attached to a body that helped make him clutch.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Fortunately for all of us, we'll find out over the next 12 games.  However, let's not all pretend like the offense was firing on all cylinders every game prior to this trade.  I can hear people now trying to blame every bad offensive outing or play on the Moss trade...as if they never happened with Moss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

lately? try whole career

Actually, Bolt, he did do some decent blocking here in NE...but not so far in 2010.

I really liked Moss, but I really hated the 2007 style offense.  In my head Moss represented the heart and soul of the 2007 style offense.  Even in 2007, it's easy to forget that from the Eagles game onward, it was good, but not great.

I feel the same. While it was nice seeing them just have their way with teams early, in the end those games were close. The SB winning teams all would win those close games. The offense put up too many points in the first half the D could simply play prevent. Then when it came to the biggest defensive series of their lives (won't mention that awful drive), they failed to get it done. Let Tom work his way down the field, throwing to 8 or 9 different guys. Kill the clock and wear out the opposing defense. The offense needs to move the ball for four quarters. They weren't connecting with Moss on those long bombs much anyway. Better to cut ties now and send him to the NFC than to wait until he walked...and you know fat Rex would be trying to scoop him up!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]I really liked Moss, but I really hated the 2007 style offense.  In my head Moss represented the heart and soul of the 2007 style offense.  Even in 2007, it's easy to forget that from the Eagles game onward, it was good, but not great. So while I liked Moss, if this leads to the team abandoning anything and everything that looks like the 2007 offense then I'm happy.  If this leads to Brady regularly completing to 5-8 different receivers a game then I am happy.  Just a hunch, but I predict that if Brady starts throwing to as many receivers as he used to, you will also find that his "clutch" factor returns.  I think it was his willingness and ability to look at every player with two hands attached to a body that helped make him clutch.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Fortunately for all of us, we'll find out over the next 12 games.  However, let's not all pretend like the offense was firing on all cylinders every game prior to this trade.  I can hear people now trying to blame every bad offensive outing or play on the Moss trade...as if they never happened with Moss.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
      Well said. Too much reliance on Moss. It was fun to watch but I think Brady was a better Qb 4 years ago. Like you said, maybe now he will get his "clutch" factor back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

This wasn't just the patriots - he asked to be traded after week one. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOSS TRADE = Good or Bad? : Was Moss's declining attitude and refusal to block good for the team?
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Also dropping a multitude of passes and dogging it on many plays that he wasn't in......as for his blocking.....he couldn't block anyone without holding.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to MOSS TRADE = Good or Bad? : I reckon it is a no because letting him go now without getting a player in return to help the team this year has just weakened the current team. Moss is one of the best deep threats in the game and they let him go for a 3rd round draft pick? What happens now Welker gets double teamed and the Pats have no deep threat. I bet Brady is not too pleased
    Posted by Brad34[/QUOTE]

Ah yes instant gratification instead of building a team to competative for years. The latter led to 3 SBs in 4 years the former led to??????? NOTHING!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

[QUOTE]lately? try whole career Actually, Bolt, he did do some decent blocking here in NE...but not so far in 2010. I really liked Moss, but I really hated the 2007 style offense.  In my head Moss represented the heart and soul of the 2007 style offense.  Even in 2007, it's easy to forget that from the Eagles game onward, it was good, but not great. I feel the same. While it was nice seeing them just have their way with teams early, in the end those games were close. The SB winning teams all would win those close games. The offense put up too many points in the first half the D could simply play prevent. Then when it came to the biggest defensive series of their lives (won't mention that awful drive), they failed to get it done. Let Tom work his way down the field, throwing to 8 or 9 different guys. Kill the clock and wear out the opposing defense. The offense needs to move the ball for four quarters. They weren't connecting with Moss on those long bombs much anyway. Better to cut ties now and send him to the NFC than to wait until he walked...and you know fat Rex would be trying to scoop him up!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Actually, Moss can't block a 2 yr old witout holding.....ever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The Pats were not going to sign Moss to an extension and he will get big money from some other team. In the short term it hurts a little because  Moss is a great player, but the Patriots have won SBs without having superstars at every position. Players will step up to replace Moss' production (Tate, Hernandez, Gronk and Woodhead). The defense will continue to improve. I expect Belichick will try and make this latest incarnation of the Pats the type of team it was back when we winning SBs: Win field position games, Spread the ball around on O, create more turnovers on D.  The only thing that bothers me is whether or not the Pats could've  done a sign and trade deal and got a better pick. And that is mere speculation on my part.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

One more time.  Randy Moss is thirty three years old.  There may not be a season next year.  If there is a season in the succeeding year, he will be thirty five.  Would you give an extended multi-million dollar contract to an aging, (actually ancient by NFL standards), receiver who's skill appear to be declining and who was becoming a poison in the locker room?  It is this kind of blatant stupidity that causes good teams to decline as we will see in Minnesota, with their aged Q.B. and now this guy.  For them its win now and let later take the hind most.  It isn't going to work for them.

As for the PATS, they know how to win with other styles of  offense and in fact they have had better marches to the Super Bowl using those styles than what we have had since 2007.  We should get back to what should be of more concern, the defense.  I hope that the turn around in the second half in Miami will provide confidence to a young but talented set of players on defense but only time is going to tell about that. The play-offs are won with defense as we saw to our deep chagrin in the 2007 super bowl and last year's play-off debacle to the Ravens.

I say this is a good deal for now and better for moving forward.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

A big YES.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patafan. Show patafan's posts

I vote yes . Moss started complaining after game one and and started complaining to different coaches . As a relatively a young team this behavior could be detrimental to some players . The Pats have been building through the draft in the last few years and trying to establish a neucleus of solid core players that have had lesdership skills. I think its a wise move to ship out a player with an attitude problem even if he is one of the best at his position , but with age not on his side . Lets face facts , even if we were to sign Moss to an extension , do you really think they had enough to go all the way . In my opinion NO. I trully believe that the Pats are looking forward to the 2011 draft to add the missing talent that will propell them to the Super bowl . They just got more ammo to make those choices .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

It was very good for the team. They got Moss for 3 seasons to generate some good exciting memories. They got more from the Vikes than they gave up to get him. And they got more than the 5th round compensatory pick they would have gotten had they allowed him to walk at the end of the season. They also have the ability to trade that pick if they want to since it isn't a compensatory pic. I'd say good job all around and welcome back to the Bradyball of the Superbowl years.