Most Interesting Kraft Statement

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Most Interesting Kraft Statement

This is the most interesting;

We had to try to give him what the market was willing to pay him. I really believe we were slightly above the market.**** At the same time, we know we have to improve our defense if we want to compete to make it to the playoffs.***** That’s what we’ve done. Unfortunately, Wes was a casualty – both sides weren’t able to get it done. It takes two sides to get a deal done.”

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

I thought that it was supposed to be 3 sides in the Welker deal or no deal. There were the pats Welker and Brady reconstructing to keep Welker?

An old and POed QB is not a good place for the pats to start to the season!

Never mind who said what-Welker is now on the Broncos!How many times do you think we are all going to hear Manning to Welker?!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

We had to try to give him what the market was willing to pay him. I really believe we were slightly above the market.**** At the same time, we know we have to improve our defense if we want to compete to make it to the playoffs.***** That’s what we’ve done. Unfortunately, Wes was a casualty – both sides weren’t able to get it done. It takes two sides to get a deal done.”

I guess Kraft is a Brady Ball washer / apologist.  How dare he think our not winning in the playoffs is related to our suck azz Defense?  All us true fans know it's because Brady sucks.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to JRABBB's comment:

I thought that it was supposed to be 3 sides in the Welker deal or no deal. There were the pats Welker and Brady reconstructing to keep Welker?

An old and POed QB is not a good place for the pats to start to the season!

Never mind who said what-Welker is now on the Broncos!How many times do you think we are all going to hear Manning to Welker?!

what we wont be hearing much of is any jets qb completing any passes...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

while you are hurting your shoulder patting yourself on the back, all of us here understood the cap this way, and agreed that the Pats as a group handle the cap expertly...

The issues most of us have that criticize, is what they then do with that cap money available. Why does this not comprehended on your end?

Last seasons FA signings were horrible. So far this year, You can be all giddy about AWilson and DJones, but many of us arent.

Dont put words in my mouth that I think that the Jets handle the cap expertly. I never said that. I said the Jets would get to $20-$30M under the cap, which they did.

My issue is not how the Pats handle themselves financialy with regards to the cap. Its who they choose to use the FA money on that I have been critical of...you know this very well. I was on this 3 weeks after FA last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

while you are hurting your shoulder patting yourself on the back, all of us here understood the cap this way, and agreed that the Pats as a group handle the cap expertly...

The issues most of us have that criticize, is what they then do with that cap money available. Why does this not comprehended on your end?

Last seasons FA signings were horrible. So far this year, You can be all giddy about AWilson and DJones, but many of us arent.

Dont put words in my mouth that I think that the Jets handle the cap expertly. I never said that. I said the Jets would get to $20-$30M under the cap, which they did.

My issue is not how the Pats handle themselves financialy with regards to the cap. Its who they choose to use the FA money on that I have been critical of...you know this very well. I was on this 3 weeks after FA last year.

That's a bold-faced lie... you said they'd get to $30 million under the cap and they aren't terribly close at this point.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Actually, it's not. What it points to is that the offense was catered to for Brady and a young D needs some veteran help in a cheap market.

So, they played the market. Wes dropping balls or Tommy Boy throwing high or wild INTs on first down in SB 46 with 17-9, 17-12 or 17-15 leads, don't really make it that interesting. lol

Everyone wants the D to be addressed a bit more, but the offense that was #1 in the NFL for years has been an absolute disaster when it's counted.

NE needs more money and cap space in case they want to help the offense change. They are doing that now with a D that will be top notch for years to come.

Thank you BB and Kraft.

It points to no such thing.  They wanted Wes. they didn't want to lose him or the #1 rated O with him being the most consistent receiver on it.

It points to them having the money to fix the D, which I'm sure TB is on board with.  It must be really old to walk of the field with the lead and LOSE.  Really old.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

So basically what Kraft is saying is that old crap players are being cut because they're too expensive and we (who haven't won a Super Bowl in ten years) are going to swoop in and sign all these old crap players. Thanks...got it. It's what we've been telling you for three years.

Maybe we can have a 70 th birthday party for Wilson and Abraham (when he gets here)? You know, kind of just combine their ages...kill two birds with one stone...save money on ballons that way!

The warnings were out people! Salary cap hell is here! Four teams in the NFL can't spend this off season...two of them have won Super Bowls over the last ten years...another has maybe the worst QB in the league (the jets) and the other has a real cowboy as an owner who thinks he's the GM.

Rusty, seeing how you had not a clue how bad Patrick Chung and Merriweather were...why don't you try actually watching football before you go postiong 700 times a day?

Thanks, from everyone:)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

That's a bold-faced lie... you said they'd get to $30 million under the cap and they aren't terribly close at this point.

the Cromartie restructure got them $22 under the cap with their carry over and they then started to sign players

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Perfect...absolute perfection. This is it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The Detroit Lions just restructured Suh and Johnson's contracts...saved 11 million in cap space...took five minutes. SCARY!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

the Cromartie restructure got them $22 under the cap with their carry over and they then started to sign players

According to this article they were only 15.5 mil under the day after the opening of league business.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/join-the-club-antonio-cromartie-restructures-contract-with-jets/

the $15.5 quoted according to ESPN stats and info is under the league cap of approx $121. I believe the differenec in our numbers is that yur number does not include the Jets carry over of approx $4.5m and your number does include the Garrard signing.

taking away the signings, the Jets were about $19 and change over and cleared a little over $40 off the cap (with out yet cutting Tebow and restructuring Mangold)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If I can comment on Krafts statement, even though it is a hot button in Boston, I thought it bad form to comment on salary negotiations in general, comment on a player that is now employed by the Denver Broncos. I also though it a mistake to bad mouth an agency, especially one as large as Wes's. Lastly, Kraft alludes to Wes mkaing $8M in year 1 with the Pats. Absolutely no way they would ever pay Wes that in year 1...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Nah, THIS is the best Kraft quote of the bunch

"I don't answer to Tom Brady,'' Kraft said. "He's an important member of the team and we've chatted. He did what he did to put us in the best position to build a team around him and win games. We've chatted about it. But he has never.....it has been reported that he, or people close to him, have made certain comments. None of that is true. I've spoken with him directly. Whomever is creating that impression is mistaken.

"I mean, we're all upset that he's not with us. But we're building a team. He never put a demand or expected anything when we did what he did. He never put quid pro quos, and to be honest, we wouldn't have accepted them had he done that. He did what he thought [he should], and it's given our team a real competitive advantage to be in a position to win. And now it's how well our personnel people make the decisions.''

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

*Reiss secretly laughs at Felger and Mazz *

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ColumbiaSC. Show ColumbiaSC's posts

Part of the quote from Kraft -

“In Wes’ case, we were willing to go what we considered above his market value. For a couple years, we tried to get a long-term deal done with him. We couldn’t do a deal and we wound up franchising him at a very high number [$9.5 million]. In retrospect, I wish we could have wrapped that into an arrangement where it was part of a longer-term deal."

My take on what both sides "could" have done -

$9.5 franchise tag for 2012 + $6 for 2013 + $6 for 2014 could have been a 3 year $21 million contract.  However, Wes and agent thought they should have gotten more years at $7 per year or more dollars for a 3 year contract.  It was a terrible miscalculation on the agent's part.