Most irrational fanbase?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsman1. Show Sportsman1's posts

Most irrational fanbase?

O.K Patriot fans, while most of America suffered through Patriot fan ego-mania in 2007, largley fueled by blowouts of very bad teams, most of us assumed that was finished with the restructuring of Brady's knee and most of the entire defense.  

As I and others read the threads on this board, quotes such as, "we need to lose at least a couple games", and "49 men, one mission", and "superbowl" are plastered all over the place.  Just one question:  based upon what? 

Objectively speaking, watching the Pats Monday night game, what I saw was a 9-7 team. You can't watch a team stumble around for most of the game AT HOME and arrive at any other conclusion. 

First, that defense is not going to "come around" at any point in the season, as some have posted, so bank on that.  You need talent to "come around", which it is severely lacking.

Second, the glaring lack of a running game that allowed the Giants to dominate the Pats offense for most of the Superbowl is still a glaring inneficiency.  That's not going to "come around" either as the season goes on.  It is no better than it was in 2007, when it was used more as a change up to keep the defense honest.  Lawrence Maroney is not a legitimate starting NFL running back.

Third, how is confidence bred when the Bills pressure your QB, for the entire night?  Lol, if I was a Pats fan, I'd sure as hell not be talking Superbowl or speaking of how it would be good to "lose a couple games" this year.  Seriously, I'd start with trying to win the division with this years' squad.

True enough, the Pats stole the Buffalo game.  But don't kid yourselves; Buffalo has been giving games away to very good teams and bad teams alike.  I don't believe the Browns were a good team last year when Buffalo frittered another win away on Monday night.

Brady drove the Bills down for one TD against a prevent defense with 5 minutes left, similar to what Philip Rivers did to the Raiders.  Wow, an amazing feat.  Check downs and dump offs in the middle of the field the entire drive.  Then, while some of you are claiming the Pats "made the fumble happen", did they really do anything different than 31 other teams would have done in the same position on that kickoff, i.e, strip the ball?  No.  It was plain and simple bad coaching and a bad move by McKelvin.

Wins are wins though, and they all count in the NFL, regardless of how or why the the game ends, so the Pats did deserve win.  Still, I see nothing in that win to even begin the utterance of "Superbowl".  Plain and simple, that's a joke.

The Pats are now exactly a less talented version of what the 96' Cowboys and  49ers were; good teams at the end of a run, submitting to more powerful bullies on the block. 

The Cowboys and 49ers also both had aging hall of fame QB's , similar to Brady, who still possessed most of their talent.  Both teams were usurped by the younger, more talented Green Bay Packers, just as the Pats are submitting to the younger, more physical and talented Steelers. 

The Pats have one player that any team has to game plan around.  Just one.  That is Randy Moss.  It's time for you delusionals to stop living in the past, and come down to reality.  Sorry, but the Pats were never a dominant dynasty like the 49ers, Cowboys, or Steelers.  The Pats won 3 superbowls by a combined total of 9 points, and never dominated in any phase of the game.  The 49ers and Cowboys both obliterated several opponents in various Superbolwls, and possessed unstoppable offenses and truly dominant defenses.

In any event, this isn't 2007, and for that matter, this isn't 5 years ago, which is the last time the Pats actually WON a superbowl.  It's time for you all to let go of your mini, semi-dynasty and come back to reality.

Better just to focus on the Jets this weekend and hope you survive that game with a W.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Re: Most irrational fanbase?

Try listening to sports radio in Seattle sometime...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

First off when you go back in time you have to be careful.  It was pre-FA.  To compare the Pats to Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys would be a bit much.  That team was loaded down to the 3rd string.  However, we did win 3 out 4 Super Bowls and how many teams can say that.

Second.  The defense will come around.  It does have talent and it's going to take some time to get this new unit to gel.  

It's funny how so many broadcasters and NFL experts (use that term loosely) pick the Pats to be in the Super Bowl this season.  Doesn't it make sense that we would be talking about it here....on our fan board?! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Most irrational fanbase?:
    [QUOTE]O.K Patriot fans, while most of America suffered through Patriot fan ego-mania in 2007, largley fueled by blowouts of very bad teams, [/QUOTE]

This is a stupid statement, typical of your entire post.  In 2007 the Pats played seven teams that made the playoffs and of course beat them all.  They did not play an easy schedule. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I'll offer that it all comes doewn to how well a team is playing; how consistent they can maintain a high-level of play.  When (what is supposed to be) a very good team doesn't execute, etc..., it's very testing to the fanbase.  Of course, there are those that only count the wins, whilst ignoring the bits that become the litmus test for a team that can go the distance. 

Sure, it's early in the season.  However, we watched our team trail Buffalo at home for almost the whole game.  Perhaps, the Bills are much better than we anticipated?  Regardless, the Pats will have to step up against the better teams, simply put.  There record will not help them, but their level of play just might.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsman1. Show Sportsman1's posts

In Response to Re: Most irrational fanbase?:
    [QUOTE]First off when you go back in time you have to be careful.  It was pre-FA.  To compare the Pats to Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys would be a bit much.  That team was loaded down to the 3rd string.  However, we did win 3 out 4 Super Bowls and how many teams can say that. Second.  The defense will come around.  It does have talent and it's going to take some time to get this new unit to gel.   It's funny how so many broadcasters and NFL experts (use that term loosely) pick the Pats to be in the Super Bowl this season.  Doesn't it make sense that we would be talking about it here....on our fan board?! 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Actually, I watched NFL live the day before the first weekend kicked off, and none of the 4 analysts picked the Pats.  And no, I wouldn't be talking anything even close to Superbowl if I had watched that game as a Pats fan.

The corners are non existent.  Jarrod Mayo was supposed to be the big play guy on defense, but he is now out 6-8 weeks.  Now there is talk of bringing Derrick Brooks back.  That's not going to shore anything up.  Richard Seymour is gone, and at 30 years old, sure seemed to have a lot of juice left pressuring Philip Rivers Monday night.  I can't fathom how this D ends up any higher than 15th.

What the Pats have is Brady, which in and of itself accounts for a couple wins.  A lot of QB's wouldn't have won that game Monday night, even though it was handed to the Pats for the taking.  So, I give them Brady and Moss.  Aside from that, this is nothing close to a superbowl team.

Anyone that is predicting superbowl is doing so based upon the past and not what is out on the field.  Like I said, think about the similarities between the 96' 49ers and Cowboys, the decline both organizations slowly slipped into, and the current Patriots.

#2 team in terms of power ranking is an absolute joke without a solid running game or defense. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPieman. Show JohnnyPieman's posts

What's funny about concern trolls is that they never realize that their concern trolling says more about them that they people they are trying to annoy and provoke.

If the Patriots were who you say they are, and they were as done as you presume they are, you wouldn't be wasting your time drafting a Wall Street Journal Op/Ed to post anonymously on a newspaper's sport section's message board.

Whose more irrational here?

Somebody enjoying the Tom Brady Belichick era, or somebody trying to convince himself that another team's Super bowls are somehow diminished because they weren't 5 TD blowouts.

I'd say its the guy impotently trolling a messageboard as if it means anything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsman1. Show Sportsman1's posts

[QUOTE]What's funny about concern trolls is that they never realize that their concern trolling says more about them that they people they are trying to annoy and provoke. If the Patriots were who you say they are, and they were as done as you presume they are, you wouldn't be wasting your time drafting a Wall Street Journal Op/Ed to post anonymously on a newspaper's sport section's message board. Whose more irrational here? Somebody enjoying the Tom Brady Belichick era, or somebody trying to convince himself that another team's Super bowls are somehow diminished because they weren't 5 TD blowouts. I'd say its the guy impotently trolling a messageboard as if it means anything.
    Posted by JohnnyPieman[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't believe the Pats Superbolws were illegitimate or diminished in any way, shape, or form.  Brady was an amazing QB in a couple of those games.  There is nothing you can take away from those wins.  They shouldn't have bred unbridled confidence and arrogance 5 years after the last win though.

Sorry, but no one likes a trash talking fan base when their isn't legitimate muscle to back it up.  The most glaring example of this are the Laker fans, who year in and year out believe their team is second only to god, regardless of who is on the team or who they are playing.  As a Bostontonian, wouldn't you agree?

It's not about the Pats, it's about seeing, hearing, and having to digest the last whim of yet another bandwagon fan base.  Hell, at least most of them die off at some point.  The ones that don't play in the monopolistic sport known as baseball, and most of us call them Yankee fans.  Who wants to listen to this all over again though, ala 2007, especially after a team with a history of hiccuping games hiccups another one to the Pats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most irrational fanbase? : Actually, I watched NFL live the day before the first weekend kicked off, and none of the 4 analysts picked the Pats.  And no, I wouldn't be talking anything even close to Superbowl if I had watched that game as a Pats fan. The corners are non existent.  Jarrod Mayo was supposed to be the big play guy on defense, but he is now out 6-8 weeks.  Now there is talk of bringing Derrick Brooks back.  That's not going to shore anything up.  Richard Seymour is gone, and at 30 years old, sure seemed to have a lot of juice left pressuring Philip Rivers Monday night.  I can't fathom how this D ends up any higher than 15th. What the Pats have is Brady, which in and of itself accounts for a couple wins.  A lot of QB's wouldn't have won that game Monday night, even though it was handed to the Pats for the taking.  So, I give them Brady and Moss.  Aside from that, this is nothing close to a superbowl team. Anyone that is predicting superbowl is doing so based upon the past and not what is out on the field.  Like I said, think about the similarities between the 96' 49ers and Cowboys, the decline both organizations slowly slipped into, and the current Patriots. #2 team in terms of power ranking is an absolute joke without a solid running game or defense. 
    Posted by Sportsman1[/QUOTE]

Thanks, for being rational. Wink

I would love to see the team that just missed the undefeated season finish it off.  However, I don't like what I see, so far.  I believe you're spot on when you state that people are basing predictions for this year on the past.  Personally, I go by the level of play.  (The Pats were behind most of the last game.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Hey Sportsman, I feel it's my obligation to learn ya in some football knowledge.

• The dynasties you've mentioned Steelers,49'ers,Cowboys were built in the pre-salary cap era.Pittsburgh has since had a great deal of success but the 49'ers and Cowboys fell apart shortly after the cap era began and have embarrassed themselves ever since.
    • Schobel has sacked Brady more times than any other player in the NFL(current or past).Schobel has owned Matt Light for years.The Bill's pressuring Brady is nothing new.You should know this if you actually follow football.They beat up on us for a 31-0 loss first game of the 2003 season.End result= we won the SB that year.
    • You say you saw a 9-7 team Monday night,well the rest of us saw a 1-0 NE team.
    • Last year we were ranked 8th in defense.While the Seymour loss hurts,Rodney Vrabel and Bruschi contributed a combined 4 sacks and 2 INT's.last year.Their loss will be felt mostly in our hearts but they had little impact on the field last year.Our new guys carried and will continue to carry the load.
    • How is it when Big Ben gets the lucky coin toss and drives to field goal range for the win he's "the second best QB on Earth" but when Brady scores 2 TD's in 1 min 16 seconds to win a tough game he gets a sarcastic "wow ,what an amazing feat"?
    • OC's of other teams don't game plan for Welker or Brady?C'mon man,that was on top of a long list of ignorant statements you've made in this thread.
    • You state we had no running game against the Giants in our 2007 SB loss and that it's going to kill us this year, then you tell us Brady's 50 tds/8 INT's don't matter because it was in 2007.How exactly does that work?
    • Morris+ Taylor aren't an upgrade from Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans? Pa- LEEEEE-ze CHILD!!!!
    • Finally,feel free to grow a set of balls and discuss your football team and what they've been doing recently.Obviously,they can't be all that great or you would have shown them some support on this thread,or at least mentioned them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"Then, while some of you are claiming the Pats "made the fumble happen", did they really do anything different than 31 other teams would have done in the same position on that kickoff, i.e, strip the ball?  No.  It was plain and simple bad coaching and a bad move by McKelvin."

Hilarious.

The Pats won 3 superbowls by a combined total of 9 points, and never dominated in any phase of the game.

And if my grandmother had wagons, she'd be a wheel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

The Pats won 3 superbowls by a combined total of 9 points, and never dominated in any phase of the game.

In the end, the only question that matters is: who won the title?....not by how much...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hmmm . . .

In the eight seasons from 2001 through 2008, the Pats are 97-31 during the regular season, for an average regular season record of 12.1-3.9 and a winning percentage of .758. In their worst regular season during that period they were 9-7. Their best regular season was an unprecedented 16-0. During that span they've gone to the playoffs in six years, making it to the AFC championship five times, to the Super Bowl four times, and winning the Super Bowl three times.

Sustained success like this is pretty damn rare in the NFL.  

So I guess I'm not feeling too embarrassed about my Patriots "ego-mania." Show me another team that has delivered nearly as well in that eight-year period and then maybe we can talk. But until you do that, Sportsman1, I'm afraid you're just blowing a lot of hot air out your backside. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

And if they had won by 3 TDs you would be whining about them running up the score! Exactly what is the correct amount of points a team should win by? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjdkid100. Show mjdkid100's posts

The CBs were non-existent? You mean when they held down two top recievers Evans and TO. Do you even watch the games?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I thought the corners were pretty good. I saw physical play by them and actual tackling. It was week 1, don't read into it too much.

What you should take out of it is the ending of the game. The players started getting their chemistry back and Brady looked like Brady. There is always going to be rust, especially when it's week one and your best player and leader has been out for a year. The defense held a team with two great receivers to only 17, and that was after a few bogus calls got them the ball back.

Don't say there isn't talent on this team. You aren't a coach for the Patriots, so you don't see these guys every day. Did you watch Vollmer? He looked very good filling in for Matt (or should I say Todd) Light. The defense was faster, and could swarm to the ball carrier.

What you saw was a rusty Patriots team that ended up getting everything going in the end, and an underrated Bills team. Calm down. It was week one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

The Pats had one problem in that game and that was capitalizing on drives.  They controlled the clock and controlled the game they just had trouble scoring points (and believe me that problem will not persist for long).  Both the offense and defense are going to get stronger week by week mark my words, and it starts on Sunday when we shut the Jets up at home.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fantasyfootball. Show fantasyfootball's posts

Sportsman1, sorry you wasted so much time writing a book. I could spend an hour dissecting all your misfired points, but here are a couple:

-The secondary and DL are loaded with talent. The secondary shut down Owens-Evans big time. The safeties are deep and Merriweather is a budding Pro Bowler. The CBs with Bodden and Springs are a better tandem than Samuel-Hobbs were. The DL is so deep and strong that they could trade Seymour. The LBs are very shaky though. We do need Mayo.

-Defenses have to gameplan against Welker. The Bills did it last week. They tried to jump every screen to him. They also have to gameplan against Brady (duh). They would also be smart to gameplan against Faulk in passing situations. So your comment that Moss is the only person they have to gameplan for is way off.

-Fred Taylor is going to be a HUGE factor later in the year and going into the playoffs. The team is going to be smart with him and give him a lighter workload to start the season so that he's fresh and healthy when we need him most.

Lastly, we all know that it's not how to start the season but how you finish it. Relax and enjoy what is going to be a very competitive and entertaining season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats had one problem in that game and that was capitalizing on drives.  They controlled the clock and controlled the game they just had trouble scoring points (and believe me that problem will not persist for long).  Both the offense and defense are going to get stronger week by week mark my words, and it starts on Sunday when we shut the Jets up at home.
    Posted by JBonesky[/QUOTE]

It looked like the biggest problem was Brady and Welker's communication or lack there of.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Most irrational fanbase?:
    [QUOTE]  Objectively speaking, watching the Pats Monday night game, what I saw was a 9-7 team. You can't watch a team stumble around for most of the game AT HOME and arrive at any other conclusion.   First, that defense is not going to "come around" at any point in the season, as some have posted, so bank on that.  Posted by Sportsman1[/QUOTE]

I see a moron TRYING to force himself to think that the Pats are not a good team....

9-7 team?  You are being generous to the Bills....I was thinking that Buffalo would be 8-8 or 7-9....but what-ever you say....

You are right about the defense not coming around...how can they come around when they are already there?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The Pats as a team rushed for over 2000 yards last season. So I would say our running game is just fine. But hey its nice to have a new troll on the forum.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

The communication on offense seemed to be a problem all around throughout the majority of the game with Brady missing some easy passes.  I did however see some balls drop that I thought were very catchable.  Is it possible that our recievers are so used to Brady being dead on accurate that they were caught of guard when he was a little off target?  Just a thought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What is so sad about this post, it is all based on the results of the FIRST game of the season!  The Pats didn't win pretty and there can be concerns, but...  this is like your taking the first quiz in a school class and getting a D afterwhich the teacher says to you.. "you'll never be an "A" student because you didn't do well in your first quiz."  I didn't think one game, or one test, determines the final outcome of a season long event!

If anything, the Pats may come out of this hungrier, and possibly more dangerous, as compared to the Jets who had a real good first game and think they are "there" and ready to defeat the Pats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

One game is all trolls and the "sky is falling" fans need to hit the panic switch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Please tell me what team you are a fan of.......Im guessing Steelers