Mount Rushmore of Boston Sports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Mount Rushmore of Boston Sports

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: No. It's not "silly". The exercise of chosing just four out of all the choices is both challenging, and thought provoking. Perhaps this is why you're bothered by it, Woz

LOL!!!!    

It's dumber than beef jerky, but I guess since you stole the idea from a thread from three weeks ago I shouldn't be accusing you of mindless mental masturbation, rather I should be accusing you of petty plagarism and lack of originality.

And PS "spygate" was an agreed upon punishment negotiated by the owners in advance and they punished the one team that could handle the heat, the Pats had just won two consecutive Super Bowls and had two #1 picks, I'm sure the other owners were crying foul.  All Belichick did after "spygate" was go on an unprecendented 21 game winning streak.

If Belichick is a bad coach because of "spygate" or because he didn't forsee Hernandez shooting somebody than there are no good coaches.  This Mt Rushmore garbage is the stuff of horrible radio shows...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Trying to pick just players....one from each sport.

Brady - No brainer

Orr - No brainer

Bird - Toss up between him and Russell

Pedro? Williams? No Redsox players stand out as all time greats like some of the above.

Orr, Brady, Russell, and for the Sox Carl Yastremski, though I personally would put Dewey Evans in ahead of Carl or Teddy. Great ball player, he had great production offensively, he was also the greatest RF in Sox history, and his longevity was unprecedented.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

RESPONSE: Kind of silly of you to stoop to calling me a Homer...when my position on BB and spygate is an objective one, supported by facts...by your own admission. Or, again, are you trying to speak out of both sides of your mouth...and are taking the position that BB "cheated"?

It really isn't very objective on your part.

RESPONSE: Again, you want it both ways. You yourself have already admitted that spygate had no demonstrative positive impact on what BB and Brady have accomplished. So...how is my opinion not objective? The subjective opinions are coming from Patriot haters...and some idiots in the media. I challenge you or anyone else to put forth any evidence that spygate is the reason for the success of the BB led Pats.

He blatantly broke a rule in direct defiance of a very specific league order.

RESPONSE: Again...so what? So...he's disrespectful of the authority of the commissioner. So are the majority of the people who post here, and the great majority of the NFL players. Slice it however you want...there's simply no evidence that it gave him a competitive advantage. And...again, if a competitive advantage was gained, than that competitive advantage also enured to your hero, Tom.

You can parse words all you like about "cheating" but it doesn't change the fact he brought one of the worst scandals in the history of the NFL down on our beloved team through sheer stupidity

RESPONSE: Excuse me Rusty...but you are the one parsing words. It was you who stressed in your posts above that "you were not saying that BB cheated". Remember?  One of the worst scandals?? According to some in the media, yes. But, the gambling scandal on Paul Horning and Alex Karras in the 60s was far worse...the Denver Broncos cheating on the salary cap was worse...because they were caught cheating...and the Bountygate matter certainly surpassed the media created spygate.

And THAT is a reflection on him no matter how much you try to homer whitewash it.

RESPONSE: Again, you want it both ways. You have previously admitted that BB did not cheat. Are you back-tracking on that? Yes, or no? 

And beyond that the rest of your contentions have been refuted anyway. NO Boston Sports Mt. Rushmore for BB!

RESPONSE: Still waiting for you to do that. Sorry Babe...but you're all wet on this one.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: No. It's not "silly". The exercise of chosing just four out of all the choices is both challenging, and thought provoking. Perhaps this is why you're bothered by it, Woz

LOL!!!!    

It's dumber than beef jerky, but I guess since you stole the idea from a thread from three weeks ago I shouldn't be accusing you of mindless mental masturbation, rather I should be accusing you of petty plagarism and lack of originality.

RESPONSE: The only thing dumber than beef jerky (really??) around here is Rusty, and Homers like you.

And PS "spygate" was an agreed upon punishment negotiated by the owners in advance and they punished the one team that could handle the heat, the Pats had just won two consecutive Super Bowls and had two #1 picks, I'm sure the other owners were crying foul.  All Belichick did after "spygate" was go on an unprecendented 21 game winning streak.

RESPONSE: For the most part, I agree. Your argument here is with Babe.

If Belichick is a bad coach because of "spygate" or because he didn't forsee Hernandez shooting somebody than there are no good coaches.  

RESPONSE: Again, I agree. Your argument here is with Babe.

/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

If we're going with players only then for me it is:

#1 - Bill Rusell

#2 - Tom Brady

#3 - Ted Williams

#4 - Bobby Orr

Full disclosure:  When I was a kid, Bill Russell was my idol.   I've never seen anyone (then or now) do the things that Russ could do in a game.  

Agreed, those are the four, no question in my opinion. Wish I was old enough to have seen Russell play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL!!!!    

RESPONSE: The only thing dumber than beef jerky (really??) around here is Rusty, and Homers like you.

/QUOTE]

So you have no reponse to my accusations of recycling old ideas, just the name calling, got it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

/QUOTE]

So you have no reponse to my accusations of recycling old ideas, just the name calling, got it...

RESPONSE: You started this insult exchange by calling this thread I started "dumb". Next, you start arguing with me about how great a coach BB is...when that's exactly what I had been saying, all along. Now, you're whining because I verbally slapped you around a little bit?? 

Man...that's dumber than beef jerky...whatever that means...LOL!!!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

[QUOTE]

#1 - Bill Rusell

#2 - Tom Brady

#3 - Ted Williams

#4 - Bobby Orr

Full disclosure:  When I was a kid, Bill Russell was my idol.   I've never seen anyone (then or now) do the things that Russ could do in a game.  

Agreed, those are the four, no question in my opinion. Wish I was old enough to have seen Rusell play.

[/QUOTE]

I truly consider myself fortunate to have witnessed Russ play the game.  He played the game with a passionate intensity and with one goal and only one goal in mind: win the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Bill Russell/Larry Bird, Ted Williams, Tom Brady, Bobby Orr.

Honorable mention: Yaz, Cy Young, Cam Neely

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

#1 - Bill Rusell

#2 - Tom Brady

#3 - Ted Williams

#4 - Bobby Orr

Agreed, those are the four, no question in my opinion. Wish I was old enough to have seen Russell play.

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Think of a more wiry, cerebral, athletic version of Dwight Howard, playing at the top of his game...possessing a Jordan-like desire to win...and you have an approximation of Bill Russell. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Much too easy just to name players. This discussion also includes coaches and owners.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I can't beleive you left John Hannah off your honorable mention list.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

I can't believe you left John Hannah off your honorable mention list.
    [/QUOTE]
    That's funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

#1 - Bill Rusell

#2 - Tom Brady

#3 - Ted Williams

#4 - Bobby Orr

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Think of a more wiry, cerebral, athletic version of Dwight Howard, playing at the top of his game...possessing a Jordan-like desire to win...and you have an approximation of Bill Russell.  

[/QUOTE]

If I may, TP, I'd like to add one more characteristic difference:  Russell NEVER choked, ever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

If you thought that picking a Patriots' Mount Rushmore as tough...try this. Choose among such candidates as Bobby Orr, Bill Russell, Red Auerbach, Larry Bird, Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Tom Brady, Bill Belichick...or anyone else that you deem worthy. There can be only four all-time greats selected. My choices: Bobby Orr, Bill Russell, Red Auerbach, Bill Belichick. Here's why:

1.) Bobby Orr: The greatest hockey player of all-time...bar none. Revolutionized the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Orr

2.) Bill Russell: The teams he carried on his back won an astounding 11 championships in 13 years...the last two of those 11 were won as a player/coach. No other athlete will ever come close to matching that kind of success: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell    

3.) Arnold "Red" Auerbach: Revolutionized basketball by emphasizing good defense, and the utilization of the fast break. Engineered a trade to acquire college star Bill Russell, to transform his basketball theories into reality. Subsequent to the Russell led Celtic dynasty from roughly 1956-1969, Red rebuilt and reloaded with John Havlicek, Dave Cowens, and Jo Jo White in the 70s, and Larry Bird, Robert Parish, and Kevin McHale in the 80s:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Auerbach   

4.) Bill Belichick: Perhaps the greatest football coach of all-time. Though many credit his great success from 2000-present with the Patriots to Tom Brady, the fact is that BB had success before he came to New England...as a DC with the Bill Parcells led NY Giants, and with the Cleveland Brows, from 1991-95, as a head coach. Though some will question his performance in Cleveland, he did lead that sad sack franchise to an 11-5 record and the play-offs, in 1994. Despite playing a season without Tom Brady in 2008, BB still managed to lead his team to 11 wins. BB drafted Brady, coachd him up, and made the courageous decision to play Tom ahead of Drew Bledsoe in 2001. Has led his Patriots' teams to ten AFC East championships in 13 years, five (5) SB appearances, and three world championships...all in the free agency/salary cap era: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick    

What say you? Do you agree, or disagree? If you disagree...please state your reasons. I look forward to your responses.

LOL!

Sorry TP, NFW BB gets there and Williams/Brady don't. N! F! W!

As a matter of fact, due to spygate, he might not even make it if there were 8 heads!

I also find this "he won rings with Parcells" as mostly a homer tactic and grasping at straws. Also, his tenure in Cleveland was a fail, not to mention his greatest success was with many Parcells/Carrol players. Without them he has won zero Lombardis.

I would go with Williams, Orr, Brady and Russell.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. Babe, you are one of the few posters who has at least a modicum of objectivity regarding BB. I would rate Russ #1, TB #2, Williams #3 and Orr #4. Bill Russell has always been under-appreciated in Boston. And TB changed the whole culture of the Patriot franchise. The PATS went from a mediocre franchise to a well respected, successful franchise. Without TB the PATS organization is mired in mediocrity and BB doesn't last more than 3 years as HC.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mja1962. Show mja1962's posts

There's a good arguement for everyone said and more including Yaz, Hondo, Hannah, Cy Young, and Baba Ruth. However, I would have to go with Orr, Russell, Auerbach, and Ted Williams. This kills me not to put Bird on it.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I am in the Russell, Williams, Orr, Brady camp.

The Rushmore of Boston should include the most legendary players and greatest champions… one from each team.

Russell for me could be the greatest champion in all sports and the most dominate defensive player in his era. His championship total will most likely never be eclipsed by any Boston athlete.

Williams was one of the greatest left handed hitters in the history of the game if not the greatest hitter period. His career numbers were absolutely astounding and that is with missing 3 years due to serving his country. Many great sox players but it has to be Teddy ballgame.

Orr was my favorite player in any sport ever. He is the greatest defenseman to ever lace up skates and could arguably be considered the greatest hockey player of all time. Hate to be cliché but it fits… he revolutionized the position.

Even though john Hannah is my favorite Pat of all-time my nod has to go to TB. He could go down as the GOAT at his position and in my lifetime I have never seen a QB as good as him when it comes to decision making, dissecting a D and overall command of an offense. I feel very fortunate to have been able to watch this gut ply his craft in person. It is like watching a surgeon work.

Many great Boston athletes most likely deserving but these 4 are the personification of sports royalty in this town.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

I would like to mention Big Papi Ortiz in this context as well. Here are his stats during the 3 World Series he was in:

BA:

0 outs: .308

1 out: .529

2 outs: .538

OPS:

0 outs: .862

1 out: 1.526

2 outs: 1.623

Incredible clutch performance in the biggest games for his team! He was a huge reason the Sox won three championships after an 86 year drought.

Cannot leave him out of this discussion for that reason. This guy is a candidate to join Paul Molitor as only the second DH HOF'er.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Picking only 4 is tough but I like the qualifier that you had to watch them play.  Preferrably in person...

With that stipulation , choices are more current which makes sense since it is hard to compare generations anyway since the games change over time.

Therefore...         Brady,  Bourque, Bird, Big Papi.

or...        Pedro, Troy, Cam, the truth.   which is kind of a personal fave Mt Rushmore.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

This is REALLY a tough one!  Mt. Rushmore is reserved for players, as much as I loved Red Auerbach.  I saw Russell play (on TV never in person).  It pains me, but Russell goes in before Bird.  Bird was really special, though.  I saw Orr play many times in the Gahden and a million times on that weird UHF station channel 38 (it was so fuzzy we had jiggle the antenna constantly!).  Never saw Ted Williams play, but he stats don't lie.  I was always a big fan of Yaz and saw him play very often.  No question Brady is there too.  If he wins 1 more SB, he will be the GOAT.  Personally, I think this is why he still plays.  He has more money than God but he still comes back each year.

Last thought.  Nobody ever remembers Phil Esposito.  He was a prolific scorer in his day.  Granted, he was kinda of slow on the ice but he was a big part of the B's success.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The Rushmore of Boston should include the most legendary players and greatest champions… one from each team.

Russell for me could be the greatest champion in all sports and the most dominate defensive player in his era. His championship total will most likely never be eclipsed by any Boston athlete.

Williams was one of the greatest left handed hitters in the history of the game if not the greatest hitter period. His career numbers were absolutely astounding and that is with missing 3 years due to serving his country. Many great sox players but it has to be Teddy ballgame.

Orr was my favorite player in any sport ever. He is the greatest defenseman to ever lace up skates and could arguably be considered the greatest hockey player of all time. Hate to be cliché but it fits… he revolutionized the position.

Even though john Hannah is my favorite Pat of all-time my nod has to go to TB. He could go down as the GOAT at his position and in my lifetime I have never seen a QB as good as him when it comes to decision making, dissecting a D and overall command of an offense. I feel very fortunate to have been able to watch this gut ply his craft in person. It is like watching a surgeon work.

Many great Boston athletes most likely deserving but these 4 are the personification of sports royalty in this town.

Williams may have been the greatest left handed hitter of all time but he was never a team guy. His play was always about himself and Joe Dimaggio and the Yankees killed the Sox time after time. I go with Russell #1, Brady #2, Orr #3 and Ortiz #4.

Ortiz gets my vote because he is the greatest DH of all time and has delivered 3 World Series victories to Boston in his time here. How many did Teddy Ballgame deliver? Zero! Ortiz may also be the most clutch hitter the Sox ever had

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Williams may have been the greatest left handed hitter of all time but he was never a team guy. His play was always about himself and Joe Dimaggio and the Yankees killed the Sox time after time. I go with Russell #1, Brady #2, Orr #3 and Ortiz #4.

Ortiz gets my vote because he is the greatest DH of all time and has delivered 3 World Series victories to Boston in his time here. How many did Teddy Ballgame deliver? Zero! Ortiz may also be the most clutch hitter the Sox ever had

[/QUOTE]

PED's

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tanbass' comment:

[QUOTE]

Bird - Toss up between him and Russell

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a toss up, clearly Russell is the #1 Boston Celtic of all time!  Bird is # 2 but there should be no toss up between the 2.

[/QUOTE]

I actually think Paul Pierce and Bird are a toss up for #2. I love them both, but it's a lot closer than some think.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

For now?

Auerbach

Orr

Williams

Brady

I default to players if the merit is tied, because coaches are only ever as good as their players. When they transcend that is when they prove they can assemble a group of champion caliber players a few different times.

Auerbach edges any single Celtic player because he was the mastermind of champion teams with and without Bill Russell. 

If BB can win another championship after Brady leaves, then it's settled and Bill takes over the throne. I'm rooting for that to happen as great coaches are more interesting than players. And I want more championships. And BB has deeper roots tied here. And with anything from 10-15 years of coaching left, I could see BB making a deep run at GOAT.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mods, don't remove my post of this picture!  I made the thing so no copyright rules apply!

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

No bird, 3 rings 3 mvps 5 trips to the big show.  (WOW)

[/QUOTE]           P.S how people forget.