Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?

Consider this.... You have Vince sceaming he wants big money, you have Tom Brady's next year contract. You have a defense with holes, runningbacks that cant preform they are too old and always injured, a need for recievers and a punter, and NOW Randy Moss calmly, nicely and in full controll telling the entire sports world that Kraft is CHEAP. It doesnt matter that they come close to the cap every year, stop buying old beat up players 3 at a time and correct your problems.
    WHat message did Randy Moss just send to the free agents out there? How does this look to any potential players wanting to come to the Patriots now?
    In my opinion, if Kraft and BB dont get this right this March and April, then the Patriots as an organization are in BIG trouble.
    What do you people think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriotsan Free Agents?

I hope BB isn't considering playing WR.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?

In Response to Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?:
    Signing big time free agents has never really been a part of their success anyway (or the Steelers, or the Colts either).  Colvin and Thomas, the most significant free agent moves, were certainly not worth the money.  Virtuallly none of the ex- Patriots players that chased more money elsewhere were worth what they got. People that see the Patriot fiscaql approach as weakness have it upside down, it is really a strength that keeps the team competitive every year/
    Posted by Encinitas

I agree that it keeps them competitive, but what does it do to the moral of players when they know that no matter how they might preform that being on this team will not give them a big paycheck.
    Seeing Moss who is usually very quiet now opening up and sounding like he is not happy with this team says bunches.
    I hope we dont fall backwards

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriotsan Free Agents?

good post and right on the money. I have a big headache trying to figure out everything Patriots these days. They have many issues yet are still one of the better teams and this offseason is the most important in years yet how come us fans don't have a good feeling about the outcome?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?

I think they will offer Randy another contract it just won't be at the pay level that he's used to making. As for Brady thats a no brainer! Wilfork will either sign a team friendly contract or be Franchised,since this is looking like an uncapped year the Patriots can place 2 transition tags on players,Mankins is one and the other is either Gotkowski or maybe Neal. In any case the Patriots will not leave themselves short. They had a good draft last year and this years crop could be especially talented so I'm going to wait and see rather than call Kraft and the Patriots cheap like the Sox fans have called John Henry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Randy didn't have to sign said contract.

NE not throwing huge dollars at FA's (there own or another teams) is not a new concept, I'd think they're pretty aware of what the situation is when they sign on.

More money is available eslewhere, however they're signing on to win championships.  Whether the team is positioned to win said championships is the bigger question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Pats haven't won a superbowl in 5 years so what worked well in the early 2000's obviously doesn't work now. Kraft needs to sit down and evaluate if he wants the Pats to still be an elite team or if he is happy with the 3 superbowl titles he has. Whilst they still have Brady they should be wanting another 2 Superbowls. If so they need to start paying market value for players and stop trying to do everything on the cheap. It is not working and hasn't for the last half a decade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

If the Pats hit the salary cap, and don't spend hugely on top talent, then instead of being "cheap" aren't they in fact relatively "generous" with the rest of the talent?; do the math. That is part of the system that Randy alluded to; having depth and paying for it.
    Randy came to the Patriots to rehab his career, his reputation, to earn $27M and to win a SuperBowl. He nearly accomplished 3 of 4 until he opened his yap with his "cheap" references; not really good for his reputation. He wants another 3 years gauranteed on the downside of his career and knows the Pats don't operate that way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from +Mrboston. Show +Mrboston's posts

The Patriots are almost always within the top 10-15 in payroll. With 31 teams in the NFL it is hard for me  to call that cheap. The media likes to say they don't spend, because they have let some very good players walk over the years. What they like to do is spread the money around and pay for depth. In 2003 they won a Super Bowl with a league high injury list ( not counting the ones they were hiding) so its hard to question there way. With a Cap you have to let some players go, that you don't want to. Did anybody really think Moss would be in NE after his current contract? Not I, and I love him as a player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I think Moss is right, but also the pats need tohtink about what happens if Welker is never the same again.

BB has a lot on his plate at the moment w TB12 and Wilfork. It is possible they offer Moss a generous 2 yr contract extsn after the combine or the draft.

$$ matters for the Pats and the cap is not soley a Kraft item but also for BB and Floyd Reese to manage.

I am fairly positive the Pats will look at what they have this year for 2011 and beyond and maybe Moss will be a part of that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

If any of you read profootballtalk.com you'll note that two of the most recent stories are moss talking about the patriots not paying guys, and a summary of how the franchise tag salaries are worked out (average of the top five at each position in 2009).

Randy is listed 3rd among wide receivers at $9.65 million.

His cap figure for 2010 is over $11 million (according to Miguel at http://www.patscap.com/)

Just thought that was interesting. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Moss should know better, right or wrong (and he's prob right).  You don't go air your complaints in the press.  It usually means a one-way ticket out of here.  Moss has done some great things in NE, he earned a very fair 3 year deal.  He decided to stay and take less than perhaps he was offered by Philly to play with Brady.  Here he is a full year away from the end of his contract and he's already complaining.  This is not good.  He could be traded or released now if he doesn't shut up and do a mi culpa.

Players come to NE to play with Brady and for Belichick.  They come to be apart of something special.  Every F/A that comes here must be happy with the money or why sign?  The players who feel underpaid are the ones we develop then when their contracts expire and they deserve bigger deals, they have to leave to find them.  I'm sure Bruschi could have made more money elsewhere but he has 3 rings and was Defensive Captain of the All Time Patriot Team.  He will forever be loved and adored by New England fans, will frequently be back and honored; will have a seat next to Kraft anytime he wants to watch a game.  That is likely worth more to him than the extra few million he could've earned somewhere else.

I like Moss and respect all he's achieved but his comments hurt him and the organization today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

A last thought...

Moss could get a new deal with NE but he'll be 34 to start 2011.  He will have to take a pay-cut to stay.  The Pats won't, nor should they, pay $10MM a year unless it's a one-year deal and they can afford it under the new cap.  At this point in Moss' career, he needs to be prepared to start accepting one year deals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?:
    In Response to Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents? : I agree that it keeps them competitive, but what does it do to the moral of players when they know that no matter how they might preform that being on this team will not give them a big paycheck. Seeing Moss who is usually very quiet now opening up and sounding like he is not happy with this team says bunches. I hope we dont fall backwards
    Posted by Stompper

I think it tells them "Welcome to the real world". The world that about 75% of us live in without the benefit of a union to make sure we get a raise every year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I think we all know Moss has a big ego and why shouldn't he. (I'm sure getting sent home like a bad little boy was very embarrassing to him and he probably still isn't over it) Being let go by the Patriots will probably be even more humiliating, if it does happen, so he is doing a little damage control by telling his side of the story first.

I don't like the way Belichick handled the snow situation, and it seemed the energy in the locker changed after that. I think Belichick made three mistakes that negatively impacted the team last season. Richard Seymores sudden departure, ( although I agree with it) The fourth and two (the fallout and controversy over it was unbelievable) and sending the players home (shouldn't he have fined them instead)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"What message did Randy Moss just send to the free agents out there?"

This is not new news. The Patriots put a value on players and positions and pay accordingly. I agree with Encinitas that this is why the Patriots stay competitive every year.

You can't win the super bowl every year. I keep hearing we haven't won the super bowl in 5 years so something must be wrong.

In 2005 we lost to the Broncos because of turnovers.

In 2006 we couldn't hold off the Colts.

In 2007 we set offensive records and couldn't finish.

In 2008 we lost Brady and still went 11-5. Matt Cassell improved every game. It would have been fun to see that team in the playoffs.

In 2009 you could say we lost some ground.

I say the future looks bright. The draft is loaded and we hold the most cards. Let's not worry about losing Brady, that's not happening. Franchise Wilfork and keep him. The free agent pool is shallow so resign our own.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I read the Moss comments... didn't sound like he was saying anyone was cheap.  I think he understands that we won't sign a guy his age for another multi year contract for the dollars he can get with another team that is a bit more desperate.  Vince will either happen or not, but I don't seem to feel alot of Patriot interest.  It seems to me like the team is being rebuilt.  I don't look at the cap numbers, but I believe we spend decent money.  No, we are not the Redskins.  THAT IS A GOOD THING.  I'm O.K. if Vince leaves, because it must mean they are doing something different.  The defense needs to improve.  So does the offense.  That means doing something different.  I accept and welcome that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's simply mathematics. You have 2 hard figures you can't go over, one being the cap the other being the roster. As a function of eachother the more big contracts given out the less mid-level contracts possible. It's a fine balance and the Pats play it very well. Pay just enough higher level contracts to remain competative but leave enough room to pay mid-level contracts to build depth and ensure you'll remain copetative through injury.  If Moss doesn't like this system he can go back to a team that hands out big contracts like candy, Oakland. He seemed real happy there with his money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I want someone to please explain to me, paying a practise squad player almost 90k, how is this being cheap??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

I too like Moss but talk about using the media only to your benefit. How come he wouldn't speak to media when he was playing poorly or was hurt? Yet he talks to them when he wants something?? Randy be consistent brother but I still love you!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the Krafts will go a little outside their bussiness plan and spend some cash this offseason (big bonuses, bigger names, etc). If you have been to the stadium recently you will see that they have built their own little Kraft Disney Land and they need to sustain it. If they start losing and if they come off as cheap, watch out! the place will become a fiscal nightmare. It doesn't help that Belicheck is not the type of coach that will sell the product Monday thru Saturday. His press conferences are excruciating and he gives nothing of information to the fans. I can live with that because they win.But I would love to know a little more about the team;how younger guys are progressing, injuries, you know stuff that other coaches tell you a little about(not much but a little). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

"yet how come us fans don't have a good feeling about the outcome? "

Why do some folks feel as if they can speak for everyone? Us fans here have a very good feeling about the outcome.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

If the Pats hit the salary cap, and don't spend hugely on top talent, then instead of being "cheap" aren't they in fact relatively "generous" with the rest of the talent?; do the math. That is part of the system that Randy alluded to; having depth and paying for it. Randy came to the Patriots to rehab his career, his reputation, to earn $27M and to win a SuperBowl. He nearly accomplished 3 of 4 until he opened his yap with his "cheap" references; not really good for his reputation. He wants another 3 years gauranteed on the downside of his career and knows the Pats don't operate that way.
    Posted by futbal

Futbal

Very astute post.  The Pats have rarely been about overspending for talent but have instead chosen to have a deep roster instead. In rare exceptions when the Pats have splurged it has been a mixed bag (A. Thomas, Colvin).  You can argue that losing their own free agents, guys like Samuel, Branch and Dan Graham, sometimes is a mistake but they usually pick the "right" time to let players walk.   

I think this is a poor move by Moss.  As valuable as he's been, I miss the days of under the radar guys like Givens, Branch and Troy Brown catching passes from Brady.  Moss is huge talent with a huge ego, and as much as he can dominate games, I think his time here has to come to an end.  He isn't worth the money or the aggravation anymore.