Murray vs Vereen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Murray vs Vereen

Some of us on this board really wanted the Pats to Draft Demarco Murray. Instead at #56 2nd round we took Vereen who has yet to take the field. At #71 3rd round Murray has taken his opportunity and shined for Dallas. This is way too early to tell, but right now Demarco looks better than Vereen and Ridley put together. He looks like the Cowboys long term solution.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: Murray vs Vereen

Its difficult at this point because Vereen hasn't seen the field. Murray is tearing it up in Dallas though. If Jones never went down we wouldn't be talking about him. Thankfully none of our RB's had serious injuries for him to see the field. Picked up Murray in fantasy fball and I've been killing everyone as of late with McCoy and Murray as my 2 starters

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Too early to tell... Maroney put together some solid outings early on, and then just stopped... RB are a dime a dozen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I thought Vareen has been a very good ballboy.

On a serious note, I look at this kid and he looks fresh out of high shool. Dont know if maturity is an issue because he looks and sounds like a grounded kid, but I think his role(3rd down back) may be more important than Demarco who can just do his thing and run.

We have 2 guys in front of Vareen right now. Danny and Faulk. I think they like Danny the most as far as quickness and ability. They Like Faulk to pass protect and they figure if they dont have to rush Vareen in there, they wont. Its too much to risk if he cant pick up a block.

I hear your point about Demarco, but in Vareens defense, he is a young guy being groomed to be Brady's binkie of the future(still no contract for Danny)

so let him learn and he should come on next year, I know he def. has skills, but not a comparison to Murray who is a big, feature back type.

Vareen did get a couple snaps early on like week 4 I think then nothing after that, so he may have looked lost and they scaled him back. Im more concerned that Ridley is not getting as many  touches and making the most of his chances anymore.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

We don't know what vereen can do because they never play him. Ridley needs more carries. Its tough for any back to get into any kind of rhythm with just a couple of snaps and back to the bench.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Murray would sit on the bench in NE. Why that is, I don't know.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

This is just a shot in the dark, but I would imagine that in the next few weeks against supposedly inferior opponents, some of these players should see more time if the games seem to be well in hand.  I don't see Bill doing the old foot on the throat routine, but if he does, I would imagine it will be Ridley and Vereen & Price getting some reps and running the score up.  With this team, who knows, maybe these "cupcakes" will be close games. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Agreed, I guess the only concern with the younger RB's would be making sure Brady is still protected effectively.  I just recall hearing how Vereen was tearing around the field at practice during the preseason & was the fastest player out there...sure would be nice to see it in game action during the regular season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

my guess is BJGE & Faulk will be gone next year & MAYBE Woodhead too but probably not...I believe Ridley will be the feature back with Vereen & Woodhead being the change of pace /option backs....

the bad weather is coming...I believe Garrett Mills will be activated soon as a third TE/power blocker & the run game/screens/dump-offs will be in full gear....thats when Ridley & Vereen will really make some noise but until then Brady will be Brady for the most part & Woody/Faulk & BJGE will do the fill in work for now...Fresh legs & new wrinkles in the offense will be nice additions come the playoff stretch run.....

Faulk will retire & BJGE will get a contract elsewhere the Pats won't match... 

for the record, I'm happy for Murray & all his success but feel it's pretty premature to start comparing our RB's (especially Vereen) to him as we run a totally different O & aren't down to basically one back who we need to do it all like Dallas is....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Great to know that someone is able to look at how well a player has done for 2-3 games and is able to go back in time and make a call. I bet if you have 3 years of hindsight you could do even better.

Fact is we don't know yet what we have in Vereen. But I expect it is MORE than a third down back. Why do so many people here assume that is all he is? Because he is quick? Because he can catch? Fact is he can also run.

My expectations, and without hindsight I could actually be wrong(!), is that Vereen will eventually be this teams feature back with Ridley and BJGE taking some of the load especially in situations where they might excell. I also expect Vereen to be one of the backs we use on third downs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

So lets see, Murray is the #1 back in Dallas due to injuries for that team.

Vereen is the #5 back here because the guys in front of him are healthy.

Would Murray be starting here? I don't think so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

NE rarely starts offensive rookies unless the people in front of them are injured or simply have left. 

BB loves his veterans, sometimes to a fault, lol. 

I have the highest hopes for Vereen, he is the best athlete in the 'stable' and has the size/ability to be a 3 down factor.

Size and ability mean nothing if you can't translate it to the field though. 

I liked Murray in the draft. He was my favorite back until someone from Oklahoma told me he was a quitter/choker/front runner -- I instantly thought of Ladanian, who is a gutless loser, for all his talent. 

Those traits don't really emerge until later on, but it's easy to see the athletic ability that was impressive to many before the draft. 

He has, like you said, looked great!

Not that you are doing this, but I hope people don't start getting down on another rookie.

Because cr@pping on Vereen though because Murray has looked good for a few games isn't fair. The kid is a rookie on a team that is known for its love of running back by commitee.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Now that we're getting to a softer schedule, and the rookies have had 1/2 year to digest things, BB should start incorporating the younger guys into the offense. I would like to see Price, Ridley, and Vereen get more reps. Kevin Faulk was a great 3rd down back, but watching him now he is painfully slow. He was never very fast in his prime, but now he doesn't look like he can't outrun most LB's. Vereen doesn't have Faulk's knowledge and experience, but he does have speed and explosiveness. It gets frustrating being a Patriots fan and seeing other rookies tearing it up, when our guys get redshirted. Rookies like Baldwin, Green, Jones, and Cobb to name a few get right on the field, and Taylor Price in his 2nd year has splinters in his asss.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Murray vs Vereen:
    [QUOTE]NE rarely starts offensive rookies unless the people in front of them are injured or simply have left.  BB loves his veterans, sometimes to a fault, lol.  I have the highest hopes for Vereen, he is the best athlete in the 'stable' and has the size/ability to be a 3 down factor. Size and ability mean nothing if you can't translate it to the field though.  I liked Murray in the draft. He was my favorite back until someone from Oklahoma told me he was a quitter/choker/front runner -- I instantly thought of Ladanian, who is a gutless loser, for all his talent.  Those traits don't really emerge until later on, but it's easy to see the athletic ability that was impressive to many before the draft.  He has, like you said, looked great! Not that you are doing this, but I hope people don't start getting down on another rookie. Because cr@pping on Vereen though because Murray has looked good for a few games isn't fair. The kid is a rookie on a team that is known for its love of running back by commitee.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]This is definitely not an indictment against Vereen, I have high hopes for him. I just thought Murray was not only more Athletic, he can pass protect and catch out of the backfield equally as well.I thought BB would of chosen the Bigger, Faster Kid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

murray was an even better receiver out of the backfield than vereen, significantly faster, and could have lined up anywhere for us, being the homerun threat we needed and still need. i was calling for murray before the draft and wanted him where vereen was picked. i think vereen will be decent, maybe a slightly poorer shady McCoy. i understand murray had minor injury issues, but its worth it to roll the dice and ride the freakish talent when hes healthy. he coulda been our percy harvin/mccluster/reggie bush type x factor. now murray looks like hes already better and more dangerous than all of those guys, and stronger too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed, I guess the only concern with the younger RB's would be making sure Brady is still protected effectively.  I just recall hearing how Vereen was tearing around the field at practice during the preseason & was the fastest player out there...sure would be nice to see it in game action during the regular season.
    Posted by jeffab[/QUOTE]

I think you'll see Vereen a very able pass blocker. He is the strongest RB on this team, and was the strongest at the combine. He doesn't suffer from that.

I think at the moment, for whatever reason, he's just sitting behind Woody, BJGE, Faulk and Ridley on the depth chart. My only problem with this whole situation is, if they knew Faulk would play, and they knew Vereen wouldn't see the field, then why burn a very valuable 2nd round pick on a RB that warms the bench. Again, in my mind a BB error on the drafting side. We could have easily picked up Ridley and anotehr back in the 2012 draft to replenish the herd.

My hope is that he and Price see the field very soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Vereen is not going to touch the ball this year or next year.  Out of the NFL in 3 years or less.

Terrible draft pick.  Waste.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]murray was an even better receiver out of the backfield than vereen, significantly faster, and could have lined up anywhere for us, being the homerun threat we needed and still need. i was calling for murray before the draft and wanted him where vereen was picked. i think vereen will be decent, maybe a slightly poorer shady McCoy. i understand murray had minor injury issues, but its worth it to roll the dice and ride the freakish talent when hes healthy. he coulda been our percy harvin/mccluster/reggie bush type x factor. now murray looks like hes already better and more dangerous than all of those guys, and stronger too.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

i wish we had a veto button sometimes on bb's picks. nice catch with this murray stud arod

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Murray vs Vereen : I think you'll see Vereen a very able pass blocker. He is the strongest RB on this team, and was the strongest at the combine. He doesn't suffer from that. I think at the moment, for whatever reason, he's just sitting behind Woody, BJGE, Faulk and Ridley on the depth chart. My only problem with this whole situation is, if they knew Faulk would play, and they knew Vereen wouldn't see the field, then why burn a very valuable 2nd round pick on a RB that warms the bench. Again, in my mind a BB error on the drafting side. We could have easily picked up Ridley and anotehr back in the 2012 draft to replenish the herd. My hope is that he and Price see the field very soon.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

" My only problem with this whole situation is, if they knew Faulk would play, and they knew Vereen wouldn't see the field, then why burn a very valuable 2nd round pick on a RB that warms the bench. Again, in my mind a BB error on the drafting side. We could have easily picked up Ridley and anotehr back in the 2012 draft to replenish the herd. "

exactly lifer, exactly

why burn a very valuable 2nd round pick 

why indeed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Murray vs Vereen : This is definitely not an indictment against Vereen, I have high hopes for him. I just thought Murray was not only more Athletic, he can pass protect and catch out of the backfield equally as well.I thought BB would of chosen the Bigger, Faster Kid.
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

I sometimes wish he would draft a little more toward athleticism. 

Vereen is a pretty durn good athlete himself, but he isn't a phenom. He looked insanely quick on the turf though earlier this pre-season. Would love for him to get a crack at it. 

I think BB took him because he is 'smart' and also because he was incredibly gifted as a recieving back in college.

But really, BB often drafts guys with subpar measurables or mearly average measurables. He looks for 'smarts' and 'character' and ends up with duds like Cunningham who can't even break the roster over additions that just showed up, and are slower than 33 year old players. 

Who was the last freak athlete for their position that he rolled the dice on? I've got Taylor Price? 

Anyone else? Bethel Johnson?

Murray is unreal fast, and 225. It's not really a wonder why he took off is it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]murray was an even better receiver out of the backfield than vereen, significantly faster, and could have lined up anywhere for us, being the homerun threat we needed and still need. i was calling for murray before the draft and wanted him where vereen was picked. i think vereen will be decent, maybe a slightly poorer shady McCoy. i understand murray had minor injury issues, but its worth it to roll the dice and ride the freakish talent when hes healthy. he coulda been our percy harvin/mccluster/reggie bush type x factor. now murray looks like hes already better and more dangerous than all of those guys, and stronger too.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

I liked Murray a lot, and most of what you are saying is true. 

But I think Vereen was a more polished receiver in college. I watched him make some circus catches. He really adjusts his frame to the ball better than any RB coming out of that class.

Murray can certainly catch, and is lethal after the catch, but I don't think he is the kind of guy who makes WR type grabs.

At least I haven't seen him do it.  

Of course, if Vereen can't hit a hole smart enough to see the field ... then it doesn't matter if he is a world champion at tying shoelaces while juggling. lol.