***My Latest Mock Draft 4-7-13***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***My Latest Mock Draft 4-7-13***

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I like your first 2 picks.

Mathieu....at 3...I just can't see it. He showed up at the combine in poor shape and did poorly. Most thought he needed to step up to show the off field stuff is behind him. Scouts said that it's telling when a kid needs to show up at the combine and hit a home run and they show up in poor shape. He benched like 2 reps or something like that.

Yeah (4) reps at 225 wasn't good... he did have good triangle #'s (6.87 3C / 4.14 SS) though and an adequate 40 time (4.50).

UConn's Dwayne Gratz is another kid I like in the Rd 3 range... he's a good sized kid at 5-11 201 and tested out extremely well... 4.47 40, 6.60 3C and 22 reps at 225.  Could provide value at both CB and S.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

If Mallett is traded who is the back up QB?

whoever is floating around unsigned at the time (or a udfa or 7th pick. if they have to play for any length of time we wouldnt win a sb anyway, so it's not terribly critical (obviously un;ess we had a sb caliber qb backup as well).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The latest CB news is the Pats having interest in UConns Wreh-Wilson. He's a 6'1" 195 man coverage kid who has similar intangibles to McCourty. Fluid hips, great backpedal, good recovery speed, plays run well, but not really a ballhawk. Can play inside or outside and is a late 2nd round type of pick

my assessment of wreh wilson as well. and as i posted, when i watched him beign interviewed  he sounded exaclty liek a patriot type player (even mccourty like). of course i prefer elite talent and playmaking ability and a seahawk type cb over a very respectful, intelligent, nice guy with less talent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

If you think DT is a top need and Williams is the one the Pats could probably slide out of round 1 if they can find any takers.    It would probably have to be their first pick of the draft too as they don't have the picks to move around.

Although Bailey doesn't seem to get the attention of the people who do prospect rankings it seems he's not a secret to draftniks.  I thought the 2nd round to be a bit high but if the Pats want him that's what they are going to have to do.  Again, trade down a bit?

Mathieu.  Geez, he's small.  I don't know if his college skills transfer to the pro's or not.  Not only does his size raise quesitons but his off field issues are still pretty fresh.  The last rumor I heard on him was that NFL teams were not sold that he was far enough away from his problems as he thinks he is.  I think he falls and the Pats don't touch the kid.  But then again I start to question myself but I believe it's because it's such a high need area for the Pats.  I hated to walk away from this one.

Nice find on the 7th round picks.  I like Moe personally. 

agreed on all your mathieu thoughtsd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

I wonder if Lawrence Okoye ( discuss guy who wants to play D-Line in the NFL ) will get any consideration in NE ?

BB's track record shows he's not averse to rolling the dice on football newbies so it wouldn't surprize me to see the Pats take a late round flyer on him .

Thoughts ?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/04/07/lawrence-okoye-impresses-at-super-regional-combines-first-day/

good stuff captn

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I hope if they were to draft 2 CBs that one would atleast be 6 ft. I know BB had a long stint of only picking guys 5'10" or shorter, than after Hobbs left, he seemed to go after some bigger guys like C.Scott, S.Springs, Ras I, with mixed results. Other than Talib, all our CBs are small, unless you consider Ras I a contributor but I would like to see Trufant drafted. He has the size(6ft) you need to fight with bigger guys and the speed to make up for mistakes(4.39) and he competes. I wouldnt mind if they took Honey Badger in the 3rd cuz that would be good value, but I would have liked to go bigger and thats why Im shocked they havent signed a Vet. CB yet to allow them to be more flexible in the draft. I sure hope BB isnt feeling comfy going in with the roster the way it is and just drafting a CB. I think we still need a vet to compete and some depth players...,..THAT CAN PLAY!  not malcom williams, M.Cole and Ebner.

share yro desires, though with 3 picks in early rds, i go de, big ousie wr, and 3rd pick tossup between wr, cb, cover lb, dt, ol, safety

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

For DBs, it all comes down to what BB likes in CB (scheme versatile?) Sometimes you find guys that are physical and good in man who looked lost in zone and vice versa. Matheiu seems to have decent measurables and I think he knows that he has to dispel some character questions. Do you see Matheiu in the slot or as return man or both? BTW I like this mock and agree on Logan Ryan (not there in the 3rd).  Haven't seen film on Hayden..so I can't really say. It;s kinda funny; all the mocks and still we arrive with Williams in top slot. I say it every year...MB, Low, and Faucet do great work.

we re j. williams. not all of us. and hes mocked as much 2nd rd or later as he is mid to late first. i see de pass rsuher a bigger need. further id have taekn a penetring dt if we went dt. had floyd and syl williams early on when thery were late first to rd 2 projections.

in this lewague you need a pss rush. i wnat to conitnue to see bb adjsuting his schemes (like i statred re going pres man last year) to focusing more on penetration with d lineman.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I like your first 2 picks.

Mathieu....at 3...I just can't see it. He showed up at the combine in poor shape and did poorly. Most thought he needed to step up to show the off field stuff is behind him. Scouts said that it's telling when a kid needs to show up at the combine and hit a home run and they show up in poor shape. He benched like 2 reps or something like that.

4 i think. bench presses dont stop  wrs though :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to user_1807930's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Below is my latest Mock... I'm projecting what I, as well as a lot of fans would like to see... an upgrade to the DL and double dipping to add perimeter talent at both WR and CB.  Kayvon Webster is a new name that I found while researching potential Day 3 CB's... certainly looks like a BB type CB due to his physicality, speed and triangle #'s:

Let me know what you think:

Rd 1- DT Jesse Williams (6-3 320)- Alabama:   I haven't moved off of this pick in a long, long time... I just think his size, power, versatility, pedigree and upside makes too much sense if he's available.  Alternatives: DE/OLB- Tank Carradine - DT- Sylvester Williams UNC - WR- DeAndre Hopkins - WR- Keenan Allen - DT- John Hankins   - DL- Datone Jones

Rd 2- WR Stedman Bailey (5-10 193)- WVU:  As underrated a kid as there is in this class, IMO.  He looks like a complete WR to me:  Very good route runner, seperates consistently, excellent hands and ball skills, good quicks/RAC ability, competitive, can play on the outside, productive, good effort as a blocker, playmaker. 

For the sake of discussion, if Hopkins is still available when the Pats pick in the first, I hope they pick him and not some guy named Stedman. It is like taking the SAT Test, always go with the one you know and don't go back and change your answer.

I could not imagine this board if some unknown is picked again at WR. 

Hoping for no surprises, but staying ready for the what the FK fireworks!

he was my earliest selection for pats wide receiver. now i push him and rogers (want a big bodied guy), with speed anbd hands)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Below is my latest Mock... I'm projecting what I, as well as a lot of fans would like to see... an upgrade to the DL and double dipping to add perimeter talent at both WR and CB.  Kayvon Webster is a new name that I found while researching potential Day 3 CB's... certainly looks like a BB type CB due to his physicality, speed and triangle #'s:

Rd 1- DT Jesse Williams (6-3 320)- Alabama:   I haven't moved off of this pick in a long, long time... I just think his size, power, versatility, pedigree and upside makes too much sense if he's available.  Alternatives: DE/OLB- Tank Carradine - DT- Sylvester Williams UNC - WR- DeAndre Hopkins - WR- Keenan Allen - DT- John Hankins   - DL- Datone Jones

RESPONSE: Please explain WHY?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Pats' greatest needs were for a pass-rusher, help in the secondary, deep-threat WR, interior DL help to back up Vince Wilfolk, and OL depth. I haven't read where BB plans to go back to a 3-4 base defense? Why select a two-down, run-stuffing NT? Especially a one dimensional one, with short-arms, and no track record for collapsing the pocket on passing downs? NT is the deepest position talent-wise in this draft. A good one like Williams likely could be had late in the second round. I see the Pats trading down. 

Rd 2- WR Stedman Bailey (5-10 193)- WVU:  As underrated a kid as there is in this class, IMO.  He looks like a complete WR to me:  Very good route runner, seperates consistently, excellent hands and ball skills, good quicks/RAC ability, competitive, can play on the outside, productive, good effort as a blocker, playmaker.  Alternatives:  CB- DJ Hayden  - CB/S- Johnthan Banks  - WR- Quinton Patton  - CB- Logan Ryan  -   CB Darius Slay - WR-Markus Wheaton  

Rd 3- CB/PR Tyrann Mathieu (5-9 186)- LSU:  Extremely competitive and aggressive kid that brings  versatility, physicality and a lot of playmaking potential to the table, both as a defender and return man.    Alternatives:  - WR- Da’Rick Rogers - S-Shamarko Thomas - S- Josh Evans  - CB- Dwayne Gratz - WR- Ryan Swope  - DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

RESPONSE: If the Pats decide not to sign Steeler WR Manuel Sanders, and keep their 3rd round pick (91st overall), I can live with this selection. Though Mathieu is an airhead, BB and his boys may be able to keep this kid in line. If so, the Pats will have one heck of a punt returner...and a nickel CB, with a nose for the ball. But, why would the Pats want a nickel CB, after investing so much money to resign Kyle Arrington?   

Rd 7- CB- Kayvon Webster (5-10 192)- South Florida:  Looks like the prototype BB CB prospect… physical, fast, very good triangle #’s and is a very good open field tackler.  Alternative:  CB/S- Micah Hyde - DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore - DL- Quinton Dial - S- Orhian Johnson

RESPONSE: An acceptable 7th round project. 

Rd 7-WR TJ Moe (5-11 204)- Mizzou:   A very good quicks/COD type kid that projects to the slot in the NFL.   Alternatives:  RB- Spencer Ware - TE- Michael Williams - WR- Mark Harrison - OL- Tanner Hawkinson

RESPONSE: Another Ebert type. Why roll dice on a slot receiver?

Sorry...don't take this personally, but these are not good picks for the Patriots. None of these selections can possibly improve their pass rush. Williams in round one is an awful pick, even if BB decides to re-commit to a 3-4 defense. The guy likely could be had late in the second round...or even in round three. The 3-4 is not the best scheme to fit the talents of BB's best young defender, DE Chandler Jones. Stedman Bailey doesn't have the elite speed or size to justify taking him over a defender in round 2. The Honey Badger is an intriguing project. He'd be worth the risk, if he can be had with the 91st overall pick.  

That said, I like your alternative selections far better. Datone Jones in round one makes far more sense than Jesse Williams. Jones is a much more scheme versatile player, who can rush the passer. Love CB D.J. Hayden in round 2...and the Honey Badger in round 3, as discussed above. I'd be pleased if the Pats could pull off that trifecta.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Maybe I'm old school or the game has passed me by. But, to me, it's plain as day that inside pressure and force creates opportunities from the outside.

For too long the Pats have been soft in the middle on D other than Vince. If the O line is not being pushed around then it's easy for them to pick up DE and LB from the outside.

I want nastiness in the middle like a Jesse Williams. Total push up the middle then allows Jones, Armstead, Nink to feast off the edge.

Total push up the middle allows Mayo to bide him time and watch for the missmatch at the line and come through the open spot for QB pressure.

A pass rushing DE is tats on a bull without a strong D line. I think we have edge guys here now, what we don't have is DT that teams worry about, other than Vince.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Maybe I'm old school or the game has passed me by. But, to me, it's plain as day that inside pressure and force creates opportunities from the outside.

For too long the Pats have been soft in the middle on D other than Vince. If the O line is not being pushed around then it's easy for them to pick up DE and LB from the outside.

I want nastiness in the middle like a Jesse Williams. Total push up the middle then allows Jones, Armstead, Nink to feast off the edge.

Total push up the middle allows Mayo to bide him time and watch for the missmatch at the line and come through the open spot for QB pressure.

A pass rushing DE is tats on a bull without a strong D line. I think we have edge guys here now, what we don't have is DT that teams worry about, other than Vince.

If you want pass-rushing pressure, than you don't want Jesse Williams. He's a run-stuffing NT...a two down player for a 3-4 defensive scheme.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: Please explain WHY?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Pats' greatest needs were for a pass-rusher, help in the secondary, deep-threat WR, interior DL help to back up Vince Wilfolk, and OL depth. I haven't read where BB plans to go back to a 3-4 base defense? Why select a two-down, run-stuffing NT? Especially a one dimensional one, with short-arms, and no track record for collapsing the pocket on passing downs? NT is the deepest position talent-wise in this draft. A good one like Williams likely could be had late in the second, or even the third round. I see the Pats trading down. 

Rd 2- WR Stedman Bailey (5-10 193)- WVU:  As underrated a kid as there is in this class, IMO.  He looks like a complete WR to me:  Very good route runner, seperates consistently, excellent hands and ball skills, good quicks/RAC ability, competitive, can play on the outside, productive, good effort as a blocker, playmaker.  Alternatives:  CB- DJ Hayden  - CB/S- Johnthan Banks  - WR- Quinton Patton  - CB- Logan Ryan  -   CB Darius Slay - WR-Markus Wheaton  

Rd 3- CB/PR Tyrann Mathieu (5-9 186)- LSU:  Extremely competitive and aggressive kid that brings  versatility, physicality and a lot of playmaking potential to the table, both as a defender and return man.    Alternatives:  - WR- Da’Rick Rogers - S-Shamarko Thomas - S- Josh Evans  - CB- Dwayne Gratz - WR- Ryan Swope  - DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

RESPONSE: If the Pats decide not to sign Steeler WR Manuel Sanders, and keep their 3rd round pick (91st overall), I can live with this selection. Though Mathieu is as airhead, BB and his boys may be able to keep this kid in line. If so, the Pats will have one heck of a punt returner...and a nickel CB, with a nose for the ball. But, why would the Pats want a nickel CB, after investing so much money to resign Kyle Arrington?   

Rd 7- CB- Kayvon Webster (5-10 192)- South Florida:  Looks like the prototype BB CB prospect… physical, fast, very good triangle #’s and is a very good open field tackler.  Alternative:  CB/S- Micah Hyde - DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore - DL- Quinton Dial - S- Orhian Johnson

Rd 7-WR TJ Moe (5-11 204)- Mizzou:   A very good quicks/COD type kid that projects to the slot in the NFL.   Alternatives:  RB- Spencer Ware - TE- Michael Williams - WR- Mark Harrison - OL- Tanner Hawkinson

Sorry...don't take this personally, but these are not good picks for the Patriots. None of these selections can possibly improve their pass rush. Williams in round one is an awful pick, even if BB decides to re-commit to a 3-4 defense. The guy likely could be had late in the second round...or even in round three. The 3-4 is not the best scheme to fit the talents of BB's best young defender, DE Chandler Jones. Stedman Bailey doesn't have the elite speed or size to justify taking him over a defender in round 2. The Honey Badger is an intriguing project. He'd be worth the risk, if he can be had with the 91st overall pick.  

That said, I like your alternative selections far better. Datone Jones in round one makes far more sense than Jesse Williams. Jones is a much more scheme versatile player, who can rush the passer. Love CB D.J. Hayden in round 2...and the Honey Badger in round 3, as discussed above. I'd be pleased if the Pats could pull off that trifecta.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I just need him and Vince to bust the middle of the O line....wether it's a passing or a rushing play...

The Pat's new/old 3-4 Defense will adjust accordingly the correct folks to have on the field..

Oh look..Jesse is a 3-4 player...now that's tasty...3-4 D...I can only hope

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

It's funny that some "worry" that Kelly is 32.....this November Vince...will be 32......

So it's not to early to have a young fella learning the ropes along side Vince....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patriots answered their need at DT this afternoon with the signing of Tommie Kelly at 6'6" 325 they don't come much bigger his only downside is age 32. He signed a 2 year deal and thusly probably is his last contract. Now when they trade their 1rst round pick it won't make any difference which position they address in round 2.  Like I said before if they can swing a trade with either Cleveland or Tampa Bay they will achieve their goal of acquiring more picks. WR,TE,CB,OLB would now be the positions of need. I added TE because if they put it out that they are interested in going after either the kid from Stanford or Notre Dame #29 becomes valuable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

MB, does this change your mock at all?  Or solidify they are hoping out of first round or may be targeting WRs this draft.  ? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Rd 2- WR Stedman Bailey (5-10 193)- WVU:  As underrated a kid as there is in this class, IMO.  He looks like a complete WR to me:  Very good route runner, seperates consistently, excellent hands and ball skills, good quicks/RAC ability, competitive, can play on the outside, productive, good effort as a blocker, playmaker. 

For the sake of discussion, if Hopkins is still available when the Pats pick in the first, I hope they pick him and not some guy named Stedman. It is like taking the SAT Test, always go with the one you know and don't go back and change your answer.

Hopkins is the #1 WR on my board so you wouldn't get a complaint from me.

I'll assume you're being sarcastic about his name because he's one of the best WR's in this class.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

he was my earliest selection for pats wide receiver. now i push him and rogers (want a big bodied guy), with speed anbd hands)

I was able to watch a number of Clemson games this year and liked Hopkins and WatKins. Watkins is not available in this draft (damn). I don' t know much about Rogers, and will take your word for his talent.  I really want them to pick WR in the first this year unless the good ones are gone.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: Please explain WHY?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Pats' greatest needs were for a pass-rusher, help in the secondary, deep-threat WR, interior DL help to back up Vince Wilfolk, and OL depth. I haven't read where BB plans to go back to a 3-4 base defense? Why select a two-down, run-stuffing NT? Especially a one dimensional one, with short-arms, and no track record for collapsing the pocket on passing downs? NT is the deepest position talent-wise in this draft. A good one like Williams likely could be had late in the second round. I see the Pats trading down. 

RESPONSE: If the Pats decide not to sign Steeler WR Manuel Sanders, and keep their 3rd round pick (91st overall), I can live with this selection. Though Mathieu is an airhead, BB and his boys may be able to keep this kid in line. If so, the Pats will have one heck of a punt returner...and a nickel CB, with a nose for the ball. But, why would the Pats want a nickel CB, after investing so much money to resign Kyle Arrington?   

I don't think DE/edge rusher is a must have... could they use some help?  Sure... I'd love Tank Carradine in Rd 1 for that reason... versatile kid with solid vs. the run and has upside as an edge rusher.  Williams has the size and power to push the pocket from the interior which is prob the best you can expect from an interior DL in a BB scheme which focuses more gap control and occupying blockers... he's also one of the strongest players in this class at the POA with a proven ability to eat up doubles... as good as VW (who isn't getting any younger) is, his career high in sacks is 3.5. 

Wasn't aware that elite speed was a necessity for a good NFL WR... the kid's overall game is what makes him so good and there's a chance that he may not even be available at the end of Rd 2.  Put in the tape... kid is an awesome route runner... really knows how to tempo his routes, set his man up... he's constently able to seperate on the outside, can make plays underneath and down the field, plucks the ball with his hands and has excellent ball skills, particularly over his head... reminds me some of a young Deion Branch or maybe Steve Smith (CAR)... have also seen him compared to Greg Jennings.  He also strikes me as a kid that could come in and pick up the offense quickly, get on the same page as TB, something that some previously drafted WR's were lacking.

I'm confident that both of these kids could come in and impact/improve their respective positional groups early.

Agree that trading down is always an option with BB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

MB, does this change your mock at all?  Or solidify they are hoping out of first round or may be targeting WRs this draft.  ? 

Can't say that the signing of Kelly removes the need to add talent upfront, though it could help them in the short term.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I was able to watch a number of Clemson games this year and liked Hopkins and WatKins. Watkins is not available in this draft (damn). I don' t know much about Rogers, and will take your word for his talent.  I really want them to pick WR in the first this year unless the good ones are gone.

i stareted a thread last week about what id do at wr. giving some stuff on hopkins and da rick rogers. prob on page 2 or so now.

rogers is being compared by reputable scouts (ie draft scout cbs) to julio jones. he had pot issue, kicked off team dropped to rd 3 prejection, rising back up to rd 2 by some now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Every Mock I've been reading has Bjoern Werner falling to the second round. Some even have Tank Carridine going bofore him. If this team is committed to the 4-3 defense, Werner makes perfect sence. Every game is 2012 Werner was better than Carridine, against both the run and getting pressure. I call BS to all the experts making his draft stock fall because he isn't an elite athlete. Well hes an elite player, before these almost pointless combines he was ranked #2. If he is available is round 1, the Pats will really make a mistake if they dont take him. I like Werner round 1 and Dobson round 2.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Every Mock I've been reading has Bjoern Werner falling to the second round. Some even have Tank Carridine going bofore him. If this team is committed to the 4-3 defense, Werner makes perfect sence. Every game is 2012 Werner was better than Carridine, against both the run and getting pressure. I call BS to all the experts making his draft stock fall because he isn't an elite athlete. Well hes an elite player, before these almost pointless combines he was ranked #2. If he is available is round 1, the Pats will really make a mistake if they dont take him. I like Werner round 1 and Dobson round 2.

maine i agree with you and no way i see werner making it to 29.

i love dobson have him behind rogers (if we miss rogers) as a frist choice for a big wr for the pats.