My Patriots draft plan rounds 1-2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

My Patriots draft plan rounds 1-2

First, trade up to the 10th pick to select RB C.J. Spiller. I love his dynamic skills as an offensive playmaker, and that is something this team desperatly needs.

Trade:

To NE: 10th pick

To SF: 22nd pick and 53rd pick

Next, with the 44th pick I would select Ricky Sapp DE/OLB out of Clemson. An extremly good pass rusher and would be a steal at this spot in the draft. Plus, fills a need if Adalius is indeed cut.

Finally, with the 47th pick, I would select Damian Williams WR out of USC. BC football fans clearly saw what this kid can do. Brings very good athletic and consisent catching skills to the table. Plus, helps fill a void in replacing Welker for as long as he's out.

What do you guys and gals think? Do you agree? PLEASE COMMENT I really want to hear your opinions on my draft plan. Does it work in your view? Or should I have thought better? Again I state, PLEASE COMMENT!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Re: My Patriots draft plan rounds 1-2

looks good to me but i dont see the pats moving up to get a RB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Patriots will NOT move up to select a running back, just wont happen, if anything BB will once again trade the first pick down for a num2 or a cople num 3 or 4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

If at all they move up into top 10, it should be for a DE/LB or may be even an OL, but not for a RB. Even an avg RB can become a star behind an outstanding OL and vice versa. We have seen such examples through out. Now except for talents like Adrian Peterson (doesn't come by very often), most first round RBs in the recent years have been bust.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Defense.  No way they take a RB or WR in round one.  Will not happen.  We need a pass rush!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Don't forget CB's.  They are usually decent picks in the top 10.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

In Response to Re: My Patriots draft plan rounds 1-2:
    Defense.  No way they take a RB or WR in round one.  Will not happen.  We need a pass rush!
    Posted by 123meg

very good point about that 123meg. But here's the reason I would pick Spiller over say, Jason Pierre-Paul DE out of South Florida, because DE and LBs in recent draft history in the 1st round have shown to be big-time BUSTS. Perfect example is Vernon Gholston, who I believe was selected 7th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft. Theres question now as to whether he'll even be on the TEAM next year! And he hasn't recorded ONE SACK! Thats amazing, but shows that BB knows DE and LBs have trouble adjusting to NFL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

they are not going to touch round one in this draft they want the rookies in 2011 becasue they will be capped

Look at it this way

Godforbid they lose a year and the patriots go into 2011 with 3 picks in the first only to have a work stoppage...

they will have essentially 4 first rounds on the team when they come back for 2012 and that is nuts.

The Patriots seem to be content with Fred Taylor, Faulk, Maroney Morris and BJGE...

however if the patriots traded there first this year for a first next year with third and a fourth from this Draft i could see them taking Tebow in the 3rd to play HB/FB/TE and Marcous Blount in the fourth

Maroney will get traded in the draft for a third or fourth round pick

One scenario that may play out is this

Trade Adalious Thomas and the 22nd pick in the draft to Chicago for there third and fourth plus next years first

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Really?  Here's my crazy draft plan which I came up with in under a minute:

Trade #23 down to either:
    A) Kansas City for their #36 and #50 of Round 2 (IF need be, package either a 4th rder of 2011 Draft OR package One 6th and One 7th rder of this 2010 Draft from NE to bolster the deal)
    OR (trade #23 down to...)~
    B) Philadelphia for their #55 of Round 2 and Philly's #70 of Round 3 (THEN package either a 4th rder of 2011 OR package One 6th and One 7th rder of this 2010 Draft WITH Philly's early 3rd to really Any Team in order to move back into Rd 2 of 2010 Draft-say with Tampa Bay @ #42 or at worst KC @ #50).

>In Scenario A, NE has the following picks:  #36, #44, #47, #50, and #53
    >In Scenario B, NE has the following picks:  #42, #44, #47, #53, and #55

In Scenario A, NE selects: Jerry Hughes, Damian Williams, Brandon Spikes, Alex Carringon, and Jared Veldeheer.

~So rather than in this scenario, having RB CJ Spiller, OLB Ricky Sapp and WR Damian Williams... NE has OLB Jerry Hughes, WR Damian Williams, SILB Brandon Spikes, 3-4 DE Alex Carrington, and OT Jared Veldheer.  Choice?

In Scenario B, NE selects: Brandon LaFell, Brandon Spikes, Alex Carrington, Jared Veldheer, and AJ Edds/Koa Misi.

~So rather than in this scenario, having RB CJ Spiller, OLB Ricky Sapp and WR Damian Williams... NE has WR Brandon LaFell, SILB Brandon Spikes, 3-4 DE Alex Carrington, OT Jared Veldheer, and OLB AJ Edds or OLB Koa Misi.  Choice?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Laz,

Ya know I've been saying all along I hope they stay put, but you're starting to sway me to your way of thinking. Your scenarios land us some nice prospects. Good stuff! I hope the Pats are listening.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz, Ya know I've been saying all along I hope they stay put, but you're starting to sway me to your way of thinking. Your scenarios land us some nice prospects. Good stuff! I hope the Pats are listening."

Thanx digger... See in every single previous draft I am usually entirely convinced on staying put in Round 1, but this draft is simply freakishly deep-  Like I stated elsewhere, Unless NE can bunch a late 2nd and as many of their 6th and two 7ths together to some willing team (or a late 2nd, maybe a 2011 3rd rder with a 7th or something)- In Order to move up and get 2 of those Elite-Talents and Starters that will be gone by those very first 3-8 picks of Rd 2...  In which case NE certainly can have 2 elite starting guys ideally coupled with 2 decent Starters, BUT/YET I see it a more feasible and less-costly option to move that #23 of Round 1 down to bunch with a late rder/mid-late future pick AND then get 5 decent Starters for this team within Rd 2 and even Rd 3 (yet I'd want NE to ideally have ALL those 5 choices in Rd 2 obviously for first of choice within this depth)... 

Again that Elite cut-off point is well past where it usually is @ #10-#15 of Round 1, and goes well past NE's #23 pick of Rd 1 into very early Rd 2, But then for 2 more ENTIRE Rounds (and NE doesn't have a 3rd rder), you'll be able to select a starting player for your team in this insanely deep 2010 Draft.  So It just doesn't make sense to stay at #23 (unless your particular guy's there), Makes MORE sense to move it down at least 5 or so spots and still get that Elite Talent (then do some bundle move of picks with whatever you've gained in this process), OR move down a dozen spots and get those 5 starters (with a similiar but lesser bundle of picks)...   

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

Hey Laz, like your thoughts and that certainly could be an inticing option for the Patriots. I just think that Spiller is the most talented running back and overall offensive player in recent draft memory (since Peterson). Not only can he run with the ball, he can make the catch and run plays in the backfield and be a nice option for Brady to use in SUPRISE offensive plays (unlike last year where their offense was so predictable). He could even be used as a reciever in many cases because of his rare strength for a back. I truly am one of those people who thinks Spiller is going to be FANTASTIC in this league for years to come. Most of all, if we get Spiller, then we don't have to go out and get another reciever like Josh Reed or Derrick Mason. Damian Williams and C.J. Spiller to me would do just fine. Will they have to pay dough to bring this guy in? Of course, but to me, its worth it.

By the way, I think another name to keep an eye on for that 22nd pick (if they don't trade it) is Ryan Mathews HB out of Fresno State. Amazing athleticism and strength to go along with great speed. Reminds me of a young Brian Westbrook.

What do you think?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

They are not trading up in a really deep draft. If they trade up it will be done when the rookie cap comes in next year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

BB is a traditionalist and his tradition is to trade out of the first round. He will find some sucker that really wants to pick in the #22 spot and it'll cost them dearly. As for next years draft they won't have to trade up in the first round as they already have the Raiders first round pick and their own. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Did someone just suggest Tebow at HB? That 4.69 speed will really help him get into the open field. 

Sorry to get off the point, but the guy had trouble taking snaps at the senior bowl yet people are projecting Tebow to TE and HB (positions he's never played before). I just don't get it. He would be an awful HB, and you can't convince me he's be an OK TE. 

In terms of the draft, both Spiller and Best are extreme finesse runners. I think that disqualifies them from being complete backs. From watching clips, they never drive people back and are easily tackled. I think both Best and Spiller can catch though, so they'd certainly be valuable. I hate to say it but Maroney was a better prospect than both Best and Spiller (he was heavier and still ripped off big runs like the two top guys in this draft). In the end I don't see the Pats picking a rb that high. I still like my boy Graham from Michigan and think they should use #22 on him if available.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

In Response to Re: My Patriots draft plan rounds 1-2:
    Did someone just suggest Tebow at HB? That 4.69 speed will really help him get into the open field.  Sorry to get off the point, but the guy had trouble taking snaps at the senior bowl yet people are projecting Tebow to TE and HB (positions he's never played before). I just don't get it. He would be an awful HB, and you can't convince me he's be an OK TE.  In terms of the draft, both Spiller and Best are extreme finesse runners. I think that disqualifies them from being complete backs. From watching clips, they never drive people back and are easily tackled. I think both Best and Spiller can catch though, so they'd certainly be valuable. I hate to say it but Maroney was a better prospect than both Best and Spiller (he was heavier and still ripped off big runs like the two top guys in this draft). In the end I don't see the Pats picking a rb that high. I still like my boy Graham from Michigan and think they should use #22 on him if available.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

HAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA Tebow at HB? could you imagine the headlines? lol. "TEBOW CAN RUN, BUT HE SURE AS HELL CAN'T HIDE"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

22 pick- jahvid best
    44 pick- ricky sapp 
    48 pick- devin mccourty
    53 pick- koa misi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And to clarify my remarks that Spiller and Best and easily tackled, I meant once they were caught! They are both incredibly elusive and tough to catch, which would definitely help the pats O. Once in the grasp of a defender they go down pretty easily, which doesn't make me want to put them in at the goal line. I just don't think they are top 10 backs like Peterson. They are both very exciting to watch, but I think you can argue that Moreno was a more complete back and he went pretty late last year. Who knows what they'll actually do. I'm a little more intrigued by the crop of receivers, and think they could find a gem in round 2 (or 3 if they trade).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

I like the trading up for spiller, i put that in one of my mock drafts actually(www.footballforall.net). but i doubt we will do it sooo here is mine!

22. Brandon Graham or sean weatherspoon
    44. Dexter Mccluster
    48. Damian Williams
    53. George Selvie(may be a little early but had he come out last year he would have gone top ten, he commanded all the double teams allowing for pierre-paul to have a great year.

I also could see Patriots trading maroney on draft day.....