My thoughts, exactly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

My thoughts, exactly

Posted by E Wilbur in the Globe

Still waiting. Silence from Patriot Place.

Oh, yes, the New England Patriots have acted and released Aaron Hernandez in the wake of his murder allegations, describing the process as “the right thing to do,” but no member has yet to speak about the matter publicly and shed some light on how an organization that preaches righteousness swung and missed like Mark Bellhorn when it came to determining their tight end’s character. A week ago, the transaction seemed logical. But with every hour producing a new tale of just how messed up Hernandez is, it’s only logical to wonder how much the Patriots knew, and how much they ignored.

I mean, you don’t just deliver $40 million contracts out of faith.

Instead, we know what we’ll get. Bill Belichick will take the podium later this month at the dawn of training camp and dodge every question tossed his way with regards to “what’s best for the team,” the same way he deftly handled the New Hampshire political reporters and whatever other ratings-grabbing brigade was sent to Foxborough on the first day of Tim Tebow coverage. It’s what Bill does best, after all. And it’s tired.

“It is what it is” ain’t what it was in this particular case. The more we learn about Hernandez’s past, the more the Patriots owe us all an explanation. How exactly was their judgment clouded so impeccably, even as former teammates like Matt Light opine in the aftermath about what a bad guy he was? With all due apologies to the salacious hound dogs at the Patriots’ temple over at Boston Sports Media Watch, the status quo that Belichick preaches won’t cut it.

The fans and the rest of the NFL deserve more knowledge than that.

It’s difficult to believe that the Patriots, a franchise that has prided itself on background checks, didn’t know that there was more to Hernandez than met the eye. Hell, the marijuana issues aside, Hernandez’s past reads like a Spenser novel. How soon until we get an Aaron Hernandez special edition of “Clue?”

The Patriots want to lead you to believe that they had a model, reformed citizen on their hands in Hernandez, that any troubled past was merely a matter of puff, puff, pass the dutchie on the left-hand side and nothing more. His teammates sure seemed to know. How did his employers miss the boat so egregiously?

Fans will line up this weekend to exchange their “Pro Shop-purchased” Hernandez jerseys during the Patriots’ PR stint to put the past behind them. It’s OK to continue wearing it apparently if you bought your jersey at Sports Authority. If the Pats were serious about ridding the streets and stands of its tainted criminal’s name on people’s backs, no questions should be asked. They can handle that as they deftly proved with Hernandez.

There has to be a disgruntled backlash in the locker room, and not just because the team released a guy for reasons other than having diabetes. Hernandez’s criminal past could have affected Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, or any other teammate the same way it did victim Odin Lloyd. What if Stevan Ridley was the one to find out that Hernandez may have murdered two people in cold blood last summer? Do you think he would skirt any sort of cover up from a guy who theoretically took three days to plot Lloyd’s murder and still butchered the process so badly that the likes of Clouseau would consider the case a waste of time?

To say the Patriots made a huge error in tossing their good faith at Hernandez is an understatement, yet we’ve heard nothing from the owner, the coach, or the quarterback about how they went so astray. Unless you’ve already Hale-Bopped your allegiance, doesn’t that make you in the least bit frustrated?

Sorry, the Patriots owe you that much.

This is no longer a matter of what did they know and when did they know it, but a situation that needs some semblance of closure from the franchise. They were the ones who took a fourth-round flyer when nobody else would, after all. They were the ones who awarded him with millions just days within a suspected double murder. They were the ones who kept him around, the reason he was in our community.

Three men are dead that we know of. Who knows what the evening will bring.

One thing we’re pretty sure of, it won’t include a Patriots apology or admittance of fault. That’s not the Patriot Way, of course. Then again, as we’re rapidly discovering, the Patriots Way is a bogus load of tripe.

And we continue to wait, as an exposed institution shows its true, cowardly colors. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Re: My thoughts, exactly

In response to rkarp's comment:

Posted by E Wilbur in the Globe

Still waiting. Silence from Patriot Place.

Oh, yes, the New England Patriots have acted and released Aaron Hernandez in the wake of his murder allegations, describing the process as “the right thing to do,” but no member has yet to speak about the matter publicly and shed some light on how an organization that preaches righteousness swung and missed like Mark Bellhorn when it came to determining their tight end’s character. A week ago, the transaction seemed logical. But with every hour producing a new tale of just how messed up Hernandez is, it’s only logical to wonder how much the Patriots knew, and how much they ignored.

I mean, you don’t just deliver $40 million contracts out of faith.

Instead, we know what we’ll get. Bill Belichick will take the podium later this month at the dawn of training camp and dodge every question tossed his way with regards to “what’s best for the team,” the same way he deftly handled the New Hampshire political reporters and whatever other ratings-grabbing brigade was sent to Foxborough on the first day of Tim Tebow coverage. It’s what Bill does best, after all. And it’s tired.

“It is what it is” ain’t what it was in this particular case. The more we learn about Hernandez’s past, the more the Patriots owe us all an explanation. How exactly was their judgment clouded so impeccably, even as former teammates like Matt Light opine in the aftermath about what a bad guy he was? With all due apologies to the salacious hound dogs at the Patriots’ temple over at Boston Sports Media Watch, the status quo that Belichick preaches won’t cut it.

The fans and the rest of the NFL deserve more knowledge than that.

It’s difficult to believe that the Patriots, a franchise that has prided itself on background checks, didn’t know that there was more to Hernandez than met the eye. Hell, the marijuana issues aside, Hernandez’s past reads like a Spenser novel. How soon until we get an Aaron Hernandez special edition of “Clue?”

The Patriots want to lead you to believe that they had a model, reformed citizen on their hands in Hernandez, that any troubled past was merely a matter of puff, puff, pass the dutchie on the left-hand side and nothing more. His teammates sure seemed to know. How did his employers miss the boat so egregiously?

Fans will line up this weekend to exchange their “Pro Shop-purchased” Hernandez jerseys during the Patriots’ PR stint to put the past behind them. It’s OK to continue wearing it apparently if you bought your jersey at Sports Authority. If the Pats were serious about ridding the streets and stands of its tainted criminal’s name on people’s backs, no questions should be asked. They can handle that as they deftly proved with Hernandez.

There has to be a disgruntled backlash in the locker room, and not just because the team released a guy for reasons other than having diabetes. Hernandez’s criminal past could have affected Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, or any other teammate the same way it did victim Odin Lloyd. What if Stevan Ridley was the one to find out that Hernandez may have murdered two people in cold blood last summer? Do you think he would skirt any sort of cover up from a guy who theoretically took three days to plot Lloyd’s murder and still butchered the process so badly that the likes of Clouseau would consider the case a waste of time?

To say the Patriots made a huge error in tossing their good faith at Hernandez is an understatement, yet we’ve heard nothing from the owner, the coach, or the quarterback about how they went so astray. Unless you’ve already Hale-Bopped your allegiance, doesn’t that make you in the least bit frustrated?

Sorry, the Patriots owe you that much.

This is no longer a matter of what did they know and when did they know it, but a situation that needs some semblance of closure from the franchise. They were the ones who took a fourth-round flyer when nobody else would, after all. They were the ones who awarded him with millions just days within a suspected double murder. They were the ones who kept him around, the reason he was in our community.

Three men are dead that we know of. Who knows what the evening will bring.

One thing we’re pretty sure of, it won’t include a Patriots apology or admittance of fault. That’s not the Patriot Way, of course. Then again, as we’re rapidly discovering, the Patriots Way is a bogus load of tripe.

And we continue to wait, as an exposed institution shows its true, cowardly colors. 

Taken, apparently, from the ESPN talking points playbook. How negative!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Didnt I read yest only Ashley Fox wrote articles like this? And Bill Reynolds. And Whiock. And Wilbur. and, and

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Why you still thinking about it?  You take some risks that can pay off or burn you.  This one was in the latter category. 

Moving on.

I heard this guy is impressing at Pats Camp.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDp6kcoxAUE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

The Patriots don't "owe" anybody anything.

Time to move on.  Aaron Hernandez doesn't play for the NE Patriots anymore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Okay rkarp, feel better after foaming at the keyboard.  So I guess the Patriot organization was supposed to be able to "mind meld" AH and pre-determine murderous intent?  They were supposed to know that when they drafted him several years ago, it could come to this?  If that's the case, why didn't the police, the government, oh heck why not - and the victim know?  By the way, you think maybe the reason you've haven't heard a mea culpa from the organization may have something to do with a still on-going investigation and respect for the family of the victim?  Oh right, you don't think - got it.  One last thought - why didn't you inform the police that the victim was in trouble - certainly you must posses the ability to read minds if you expect the Pats' organization to have done so, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Okay rkarp, feel better after foaming at the keyboard.  So I guess the Patriot organization was supposed to be able to "mind meld" AH and pre-determine murderous intent?  They were supposed to know that when they drafted him several years ago, it could come to this?  If that's the case, why didn't the police, the government, oh heck why not - and the victim know?  By the way, you think maybe the reason you've haven't heard a mea culpa from the organization may have something to do with a still on-going investigation and respect for the family of the victim?  Oh right, you don't think - got it.  One last thought - why didn't you inform the police that the victim was in trouble - certainly you must posses the ability to read minds if you expect the Pats' organization to have done so, right?

C'mon man, anyone could see that this guy was going to be a killer.  The Pats picked him when he was 19 yrs. old and knew back then that he would never turn out to be a good person but they went ahead anyway and took him in the fourth round.  Why would a team do that knowing ahead of time that they had a killer on their hands?  

How idiotic of them. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

They released a statement saying releasing him was the right thing to do. Seems to me that releasing him was an admittance of a mistake. 

I am sure at some point Kraft will release his own statement on behalf of the team and BB and everyone in the orginization will refer to that statement.

I am a season ticket as well Rkarp and I like you want a team to be proud of but at the end of the day I think they did the right thing by forfeiting over 12mil. I am sure they will continue to do the best they can to bring in not only good football players but good citizens. I'm sorry but i don't think anyone could see this coming with Hernandez.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

From what ive read,  nothing about Hern suggests a murder was in his future. This was a surprise to everyone.

Ol' McCourty had an INT....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

These type of articles are a joke.  And what is even worse is there are some owners and GM's coming out saying they had taken Hernandez off their boards based on his past, as if that makes them some type of Owner or G.M extraordinaire. Give me a break! 

Fact is, every team has taken a chance at one time or another on a player that was a bad apple.  There was no indication that Hernandez was going to commit murder for crying out loud.  There have been other players who have committed murder or killed someone by other means, DUI for example.  The Patriots aren't the first, the NFL isn't the first, people need to just understand that it was a person who didn't have the cleanest past, and for some reason went over the edge into the deep, deep end. 

Don't insult my intelligence with these stories acting like the Patriots were the only team that would have drafted him because everyone else seen giant red flags of a murderer here.

Thank goodness there are only a handful of these type of idiotic news hacks out there looking for attention.  Most people in the media, fans of other teams and even Pats haters know that this was just one of those times that a player who had some bad marks on his track record really ended up worse then ever imaginable.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

C'mon man, anyone could see that this guy was going to be a killer.  The Pats picked him when he was 19 yrs. old and knew back then that he would never turn out to be a good person but they went ahead anyway and took him in the fourth round.  Why would a team do that knowing ahead of time that they had a killer on their hands?  

How idiotic of them. 

Are u too dense or lazy to understand the implications? Hernandez and Nelson were implicated in a 2007 shooting of 2 people. Police reports filed. stories changed 10 days after the fact, charges dropped. Police report still filed. 

no one wants the Pats to b e a mind reader. No one wants the Pats to rehab anyone. All we wish is for the Pats to make sure guys with such a criminal history does not play for the team. 

They have private investigators and the NFL has ex FBI staff to find these things out. 17 teams had Hern off their draft board. Does that raise a flag to anyone on the Pats? 

Read the WSJ if you want to see the police report regarding Hern in 2007. 

Btw, that's allegedly, repeat allegedly, 6 people Hern has shot since 2007. Think more is coming?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I fully disagree.  As soon as he was arrested, the Pats cut all ties with him.  They released a statement.  It's done on the football side.  Everyone is still talking about it, but from a business of football view, it's done.

I'll follow the story in the news because it's interesting, surprising and downright nuts.  Other team's fans will love to bring it up as if it's a lightning rod of horror for us Pats fans.   I was out a bar in Florida last night with a Pats shirt on.  A guy tries to be the funnyman.

Guy:  Patriots, huh?  Go Hernandez.

Me:  Yeah, that happens.  Who's your team?

Guy:  Dolphins.

Me:  Dolphins, huh?  Go who-ever-the-hell-plays-for-them-these-days.

That was that.

My point?  As soon as the Pats canceled the deal, it ceased to be a football story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Stupid article. They released him, issued a short statement, and moved on. He isn't their problem anymore. Why would they need to say anymore about it? He is just another former Patriot. Just another desperate writer trying to milk all he can out of a 3 week old story.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

He was charged with ATTEMPTED MURDER. A felony.  When did the media demand the Browns make more than a statement?

Have the Browns even made a statement and cut the player?

Yes, they cut him.

#currentevents

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Repeat, no one wants the Pats to stand up and eat crow, take a public whipping or admit they dropped the ball on a back ground check.

the right thing to do in light of what is happening with the NFL, with the Hern situation being front and center, is for Goodell to get up and release a statement,with Kraft and other owners beside him, that the entire NFL is going to take a much more stringent screening policy and back ground checking on potential players,with major suspensions for criminal behavior. 

This is now bigger than the Pats, Kraft and The situation with Hern. 

Hern is now allegedly associated with shooting 6 people since 2007. The Pats were not only employing him, they were praising him along with giving him a huge contract. If people want to think "no one knew" or "Hern hada double life".....that's fine. Some one in the NFL, that being Goodell, now needs to stand up and say from now on, some one in the NFL WILL know what is going on with these players. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I just read an article on Chris Carter, the HOF receiver from the vikings. When he was in college he had drug problems and he was drafted in 4th by the eagles. After the eagles cut him in year 3 he cleaned up his act, focused on footbal and put the past in the rear view mirror. I never knew this about him and was surprised.

Not every young kid that has made mistakes ends up killing someone. Your arguments are weak and are just trying to saying the Pats suck as an organization. Businesses make good and bad decisions every day. Pats made some bad ones with Hernandez. In the "other" shooting cases, the police could not tie them to Hernandez until after this latest incident, how do the Pats know more or need to know more than the police or FBI. 

You act like it is your $40 million. It is not. The Pats cut him without worrying about money. What is wrong with that.

Go away and pick on the lions, cowboys or seahawks if you want to see teams without integrity. My signature tells how I feel. Now go away and stop posting BS. 

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:

I just read an article on Chris Carter, the HOF receiver from the vikings. When he was in college he had drug problems and he was drafted in 4th by the eagles. After the eagles cut him in year 3 he cleaned up his act, focused on footbal and put the past in the rear view mirror. I never knew this about him and was surprised.

Not every young kid that has made mistakes ends up killing someone. Your arguments are weak and are just trying to saying the Pats suck as an organization. Businesses make good and bad decisions every day. Pats made some bad ones with Hernandez. In the "other" shooting cases, the police could not tie them to Hernandez until after this latest incident, how do the Pats know more or need to know more than the police or FBI. 

You act like it is your $40 million. It is not. The Pats cut him without worrying about money. What is wrong with that.

Go away and pick on the lions, cowboys or seahawks if you want to see teams without integrity. My signature tells how I feel. Now go away and stop posting BS. 

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

Spoken like a fan looking at the team thru rose colored glasses with zero sense of a business played out in the public forum.

I will excuse your comments as naïveté rather than simple stupidity

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Good job editing my edit.  You have become a top notch troll here. You have an answer for everything, don't you?

Ugh. Easily one of the more annoying people ever on a board.

Seattle Pat called me slightly annoying. What are you? Majorly annoying?

Oh my.  Going back and editing your dumb post and then claiming I changed it? 

You're a trip.

I'm sure I'm annoying you.  If I was constantly posting stupidity and someone was pointing out how stupid my posts were, I'd be annoyed as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think you'll hear Belichick say a thing about Hernandez, but for all the people that think the Patriots don't have to speak about this or give more than the statement they gave when they released him, don't live around here. They are getting absolutely murdered (no pun intended) locally on the radio, papers, and everywhere you go regarding this. People want to know how a guy like this was given a contract like that. How a guy like that was drafted by the team and brought into our cummunity. Think about this....the Patriots drafted, signed and extended a guy who may of murdered three people. This is an organization that has endless means to investigate their employees...yet this happened? I'm not saying they knew exactly what type of person this guy was, but they had better come out and talk about it.

Little Jonathan Kraft loves talking to the media about how much better an organization he has...how much smarter they are than everyone else...how they do everything right. They've had three weeks to sit with their lawyers, public relations specialists and figure something to say...they need to say it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to Salcon's comment:

How idiotic of them. 

Are u too dense or lazy to understand the implications? Hernandez and Nelson were implicated in a 2007 shooting of 2 people. Police reports filed. stories changed 10 days after the fact, charges dropped. Police report still filed. 

no one wants the Pats to b e a mind reader. No one wants the Pats to rehab anyone. All we wish is for the Pats to make sure guys with such a criminal history does not play for the team. 

They have private investigators and the NFL has ex FBI staff to find these things out. 17 teams had Hern off their draft board. Does that raise a flag to anyone on the Pats? 

Read the WSJ if you want to see the police report regarding Hern in 2007. 

Btw, that's allegedly, repeat allegedly, 6 people Hern has shot since 2007. Think more is coming?

I'm not too lazy or too dense to understand the situation.  The Pats didn't know about the criminal history - because until recently, he didn't have one.  Yes, I understand that he's linked to other feloneous actions AFTER he was picked up for this.  So if the police investigators couldn't tie him to previous acts, what other investigator would have.  17 teams didn't want him for whatever reasons they didn't want him - perhaps his drug use, injury history, or a "sense" that he was a hardened felon and serial killer.  And maybe the Pats investigators did drop the ball with respect to "maybe he did this, maybe he did that, maybe he's not a choir boy" but at the end of the day - there was nothing from draft day to recent events to indicate this guy was a punk.  Look at how many other NFL'ers have broken the law - just recently - did their teams drop the ball?  Wife beaters, assaulters, DUI's - you name it.  Look, the NFL is, like most other organizations, a micro-version of society at large.  Some great guys, some good, some not so good, some punks, some down-right bad dudes.  Overall they do a good job.  For every punk, there's a ton of players that do great things for their communities/charitys. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

Who did that guy on the Browns murder again?

He was charged with ATTEMPTED MURDER. A felony.  When did the media demand the Browns make more than a statement?

Have the Browns even made a statement and cut the player?

EDIT: Yes, he was released.  Have we gotten enough from the Browns and why oh why they signed a future murderer?  How come the Browns did not know one of their players was capable of such things??!!

Well the guy didn't murder anyone, so I guess that's better than say...murdering three. We just gave 5 million to a guy that shot at his sister's boyfriend two years ago...that's attempted murder, right? I mean Talib wasn't trying to just get his attention. We didn't cut Talib, in fact we traded for him and then gave him 5 million. And how about the guy that is going to jail for punching a cop in the face? Oh yeah, Dennard is now considered our savior at corner...wonder if they'll cut him? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well the guy didn't murder anyone, so I guess that's better than say...murdering three. We just gave 5 million to a guy that shot at his sister's boyfriend two years ago...that's attempted murder, right? I mean Talib wasn't trying to just get his attention. We didn't cut Talib, in fact we traded for him and then gave him 5 million. And how about the guy that is going to jail for punching a cop in the face? Oh yeah, Dennard is now considered our savior at corner...wonder if they'll cut him? 

Wow, I wasn't aware of this.  The good news is that he comes from a good, wholesome family. 

"Police say they believe Talib and his mother, Okolo Talib, shot at the man March 21. The man wasn't injured.

Authorities had issued arrest warrants for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for Talib and his mother.

His mother, who faced a felon in possession of a firearm charge, turned herself in Tuesday and bonded out."

Brutal.  With Hernandez gone, does Talib take the title of "Most Likely to Commit a Felony"?  Is there a race in the NFL to see who can acquire the most questionable people?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I heard this guy is impressing at Pats Camp.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDp6kcoxAUE

Kenbrell Thompkins is an interesting prospect, that Lane Kiffen wanted him to come to Tennessee which seems to be a factory for #1 draft pick WR's piques my interest.  He took a long circuitous route to the NFL, was productive in Cincinnati when he got there, had decent (4.4) speed, good agility drills, decent size, good hands and a solid vertical.  He's not being lumped in with Dobson and Boyce as potential stars but maybe he should be...