My Thoughts On The Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Re: My Thoughts On The Game

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The defensive tackles are horrid, the Texans were running at Vellano and Chris Jones off tackle on every play and they were getting blown up by single blockers.  Belichick noticed this as well and put Siliga in at nose tackle at the finish of the 2nd and most of the second half, the Texans continued to avoid the dive plays and ran at the ends.  Vellano should go down to the practice squad and AJ Francis should come up.  Chris Jones has a great future as a situational pass rusher ala Mike Wright, Vellano has to learn how to play fullback ala Dan Klecko.

We've had great play at linebacker and in the defensive backfield, the biggest (only) weakness on this team is DT.

Boyce did a very good job at returning kicks, the Texans were obviously giving him chances to screw up, they kicked line drives and he handled them like a short stop.  He should hold down the job going forward and he even stayed on the field as a receiver, it will be fun to watch him from here out...

[/QUOTE]

The holding our rookies were enduring helped the big holes you speak of. I am not saying it was on every play but the ones I could get a good look at showed our rookies getting bear hugged.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

This defense clearly has the linebackers to play both a 3-4 and 4-3 next year when Mayo comes back, but then the question is will Spikes be back?

The problem is, as had been beaten into the ground, our DT's are not 3-4 DE's. Armstead and even Kelly could have held up there, but not these two rooks.

Jones has been playing more and more with his hand off the ground. Nink played some OLB a few years back as we all recall. I think next year we saw those two, esp Jones, sliding back to OLB more and more, as long as we get Kelly and Armstead healthy and add one lineman who can play 3-4 DE into the mix.

Collins I feel will absolutely explode next year and be the kind of talent you can almost plug anywhere. Hightower I agree should simply remain a situational 4-3 OLB until he loses 15lbs and gets a clue what he should be doing when plugged in elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to raptor64d's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The holding our rookies were enduring helped the big holes you speak of. I am not saying it was on every play but the ones I could get a good look at showed our rookies getting bear hugged.

[/QUOTE]

Holding happens on every play in football, Vince Wilfork gets held, still flows to the gap, fights off the guy(s) trying to block him and plugs the gap.  Our current D tackles get held and pushed back 5 yards and otherwise manhandled.  If they're not blitzing and shooting a gap on every down they're useless, and playing this style of defense is feast or famine because a good team will find the opening and burn you.  

From here on out we have to hope our defense becomes a turnover causing machine, an opportunistic defense that makes stops at key points in the game, this isn't ideal, we'll be involved in a lot of shoot outs and if our offense falters or meets a great defense we will lose.  In short we'll need a fair amount of luck to make noise in the playoffs...

I've been labeled a homer so many times on this board it's not funny, if I'm telling you that these guys are sub par than that's me being nice, and 31st in the league against the run is never a good thing or the result of defensive scheming... it just plain sux.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to raptor64d's comment:

Holding happens on every play in football, Vince Wilfork gets held, still flows to the gap, fights off the guy(s) trying to block him and plugs the gap.  Our current D tackles get held and pushed back 5 yards and otherwise manhandled.  If they're not blitzing and shooting a gap on every down they're useless, and playing this style of defense is feast or famine because a good team will find the opening and burn you.  

From here on out we have to hope our defense becomes a turnover causing machine, an opportunistic defense that makes stops at key points in the game, this isn't ideal, we'll be involved in a lot of shoot outs and if our offense falters or meets a great defense we will lose.  In short we'll need a fair amount of luck to make noise in the playoffs...

I've been labeled a homer so many times on this board it's not funny, if I'm telling you that these guys are sub par than that's me being nice, and 31st in the league against the run is never a good thing or the result of defensive scheming... it just plain sux.

That's exactly how I see it.  Chris Jones is a fast, penetrating-type of DL and it's almost unfair to expect him to hold the line of attack.  Vellano is consistently being washed out to sea or at least turned and driven out of the play.  If those guys can't occupy blockers it compounds the issue of our LBs having to take on OLs to make plays rather than filling a hole or just reacting. 

This defense will have to be aggressive to have a shot in the playoffs, or the offense will a) need to grind it out with Blount, Ridley and Vereen, or b) score 31 + points a game with Brady airing it out.  If it's B, let's hope they have Gronk.  I read somewhere that Dungy compared this team to his Colts team the year they won the SB.  That might not be a bad comparison.  They were terrible defensively and then they got Booger McFarland via trade and Sanders back, both of whom helped them a bit.  That team could score in bunches, as can this Pats squad.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They've been playing quite a bit of 3-4 recently.  I think BB has been trying to get an extra big guy on the field to help with the run, but that creates some issues with pass defense.  It's still very much a work in progress adjusting to the absence of Wilfork, Kelly, and Mayo.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Positives:

Offense...

Great job by the offense in the second half.  I will get to the negatives later.  Brady was great, the playcalling was much better and Blount is really chipping in well to help run the ball, as is Vereen. Nice job to attack them off the edges with the pass and to keep running. Houston has never matched up well. Not sure why this was so confusing in the first half.

Gronk is Gronk. What can you say?  Incredible player.

Edelman is emerging. It's many here's worst nightmare, but I kept trying to warn about it. Someone who works that hard will thrive with what skill set here. The punt returns and his ability on the perimeter make him an upgrade over Welker as he enters his prime.

Amendola is heating up a bit.  Not shocking since he seems healthier and Gronk has returned. Good to see.  

Will Svitek is impressing me. I felt it was a good FA pick up we'd hopefully never need, but nice job again. Overall, the whole O Line did well considering the talent of that front line in Houston.

Defense...

Not much to brag about here as the Pats D played their worst game of the year. Not sure if it's a let down after two emotional night games, but no excuse.  I will say, HOuston's O Line was holding on every running play to open those seams. Vellano and Jones were both held numerous times and could not disengage with tons of jersey.

I saw a few mental mistakes in coverage where zone was being played and it was man or vice versa. Not sure why that would be an issue now.  

I was surprised BB stayed with the 3-4 when Houston was handling it.   Nice job to get the sacks and INT on Keenum, but there I was surprised Andre Johnson wasn't bracketed more. Sort of odd. To me, it was Tate and Johnson, but each had good games.

The D dramatically improved in the second half, which is tied to the offense not allowing for such awful fields position to defend, but still, not a good game on D.

I will say, no playoff AFC D is any better than ours. We just miss key guys like Dennard where it can keep Arrington inside. I would rest Dennard until he's close to 100%.  He now is the key to keeping Arrington inside where he needs to be to thrive.  

Kudos to another INT from Logan Ryan. He's quietly emerging as the best CB in the draft in 2013 this year. Impressive work.

Negatives:

Offense: Slow start, playcalling, poor throws from Brady. Not sure why this is, but it keeps happening. Puts a lot of pressure on the D every week and it has to stop. We're cooked in the title game if that continues, obviously.

Defense: Breakdowns on pass D and the edge run D.  Some of the edge run D was holding by the Houston  O Line, but I also think it was scheme. I would have gone 4-3 wight Hightower weak side to help out the edges a bit vs the run.  That's just what I saw.

Sopoaga is doing his thing down the middle, but the edge work was off.  Needs to be better against power running teams if they are to use the 3-4.  The gaps weren't plugged even with the edges set.

STs...

Starting to heat up!  Nice game all around besides that opening kick off.  Other than that, very nice job.  Even Boyce looks to be comfortable taking kicks out, which is good.

I guess in the end, the positives are it appears we got out of there without any disastrous injuries. I cringed when I saw our schedule and cringed all day yesterday. I know Thompkins went down, but I think it may be just a contusion of some kind after landing hard.  Hopefully, it's nothing serious. I was more concerned about ACLs on that illegal turf/should be illegal turf.

[/QUOTE]

Would be interesting to see how the game plays out with a couple of holding penalties called.   Especially the blatant one at the 10 yard line I remember Jones I htink getting hooked while tate goes right by him.   I dunno.  Officials are just a mystery.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Officials are inconsistent at best and downright blind most of the time. They are becoming more like NBA officials. Double dribbling and travelling is practically done on every play, so is holding. They have decided like the NBA to let it slide. Look how it has changed the NBA. I can't watch basketball anymore because it looks like a school yard pickup game. I hope football doesn't follow the same course.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Btw. nice post and objective analysis Russ.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Nice post Rusty. I agree with most of your points. You should do these more often. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Officials are inconsistent at best and downright blind most of the time. They are becoming more like NBA officials. Double dribbling and travelling is practically done on every play, so is holding. They have decided like the NBA to let it slide. Look how it has changed the NBA. I can't watch basketball anymore because it looks like a school yard pickup game. I hope football doesn't follow the same course.

[/QUOTE]

Agree about NBA....  Lebron doing that jump step after 2 steps going to the basket...?    What the hell that's 4 steps...  Unwatchable crap .  The holding in this game was noticeably blatant.  Those are the ones that should get called.  The inside the shoulderpads stuff gets let go...  but when the guy reaches out and hooks Jones as he is trying to fill the hole and make the tackle...?  com on.