my weekend thought over Patriots needs...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

my weekend thought over Patriots needs...

First congratulations to Patriots for winning yet another award that shows the Patriots are the Class of the NFL.

Now as to my thought... anyone who posts to the threads in here knows pretty much what I hope and think the Patriots are going to do, having said that I think I might just expand this a bit more and say the Patriots might have decided that with 2011 being a likely lockout year they are not going to go for much in terms of Free Agents they are going to basicly focus on the draft and take a little hit in 2010 to ensure they have young hungry tallented players to rebuild with. and are ready to go full boar in 2012.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Re: my weekend thought over Patriots needs...

I agree next season is goona be like lets see what we can do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I disagree. Tommy Brady isn't getting any younger and his life away from football is going to continue to grow (as it should!). Randy Moss is on our roster for perhaps one more year. Welker should (I'm crossing my fingers) be back after Thanksgiving 2010 and ready for a playoff run although he'll never be his usual self, I'm sad to say. Mayo should be back strong from his injury/sophomore slump. The secondary looks solid.  Pass rush will get addressed through the draft but not sure by how much. We definitely need another receiver or two but I think the team is sold on a) Edelman's work ethic knowing he'll work hard to get better at wideout b) his athletic ability to be a productive piece for us next year. While Edelman is not enough (at best, he only replaces Welker which still leaves the third spot for grasp), he'll be more than serviceable. I said it in another thread and I'll say it here too: at this point in 2007, we did not have Welker or Moss on our roster but we did by the time we received the opening kickoff in the Meadowlands. When we lost to Indianapolis in the AFC title game, I'm sure people spent all of February/March thinking, 'Uh, we lost because of Reche Caldwell and what have we done to improve that? Nothing!" Then, along came the draft and Moss and Welker. And 16-0. It's tough to grade a team's dedication and commitment to winning this early.

The Patriots aren't deliberately sitting out free agency and just going into next season saying "we'll try our best with what we have but let's just stock up for 2012." It's a win-now business and I know this is blasphemous to say but what makes Belichick think his job will be just as safe in 2012? We just don't know...

And by that line of thinking, is it safe to assume the Bears are the only team in it to win it and all of the other teams will be fine if they stumble upon a chance to play in Dallas? I doubt it. It's a win-now business. The Bears went all out and spent stupidly because the GM and head coach jobs are on the line. All they did was cover their woes with high-priced free agents, which I highly doubt is going to work. I even think Detroit is shaping up to be better than Chicago. With Vanden Bosch and perhaps Suh on the line, they're going to be the real deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Well if next year is like 2000 but 2011-2014 are going to be similar to 2001-2004 then I'm all for it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Not to stick my chest out or pat myself on the back , but I consider myself an astute/ insightful , sagacious sports fan. And like most other sports junkies Ive followed the cba situation pretty close. I cant see and think of one reason that would be big enough to lockout football , I just dont see it happening. Another issue that is absolutely driving me crazy is all these "know nothing fans" that are crying and whining about the PATS being quiet this off season. First off if your going to complain and bit ch about them not making any moves then do a little research , homework , pretend you have a brain and come up with some solutions. Peppers has been one of my favorite players since he came out , but theres no way I pay that money for him. To many years(which really doesnt mean anything in the NFL...anyway) and too much money , specifically in guaranteed money , 42 million is so much money. And so much of it is front loaded , hes going to make over 40 million in th efirst three years , and that number could increase if he makes the pro bowl , records a certain number of sacks or is defensive player of the year. Like I said I love him , hes a physical freak , versatile , tough , smart player. And think all the talk about him taking plays off is mostly BS. He turned down a 4 year deal worth 54 million last year because he knew someone would overpay and he was right. I wouldnt have gone past 4 years. I feel the same way about Dansby , hes not the player Peppers is , but is very good in his own right. Another smart , fast , versatile , tough guy , who can almost do it all. Hes an ILB , but can blitz , rush the passer if needed and drop back in coverage , but again the 'fins really over payed. 5 years 43 million with 22 guaranteed is the richest contract ever for a linebacker whos main duties doesnt include rushing the passer. Would have been a great fit here if the PATS decided to go that way , and it should be noted that almost 98% of the time your going to over pay for top players. Thats the biggest issue I have with Dansby getting the big money , no way hes a top 5 guy and maybe not even a top ten guy. Just off the top Id say Willis , Ryans , Lewis , Loften , Beason , Mayo , Tatupu and Rudd make up most of the top ten of M/ILB's. Also consider Vilma , Bradley(who is up and coming fast and could be a great player) , and Posluszny , if he can stay healthy he has crazy potential. The only guys that I really would have liked them to go after were Jones and Taylor. Taylor was Favres favorite target on 3rd down last year and has always been a great option in that situation. Plus something that wasnt talked about alot last year was the fact that the Vikes used a 6-7 man front for protection almost 65% of the time. And Taylor was a key part in doing so. I would have loved to see how BB would have used him , imagine him and Faulk in the backfield with 81 and Edelman/Tate spilt out wide or in the slot? Samething with Jones , whos nowhere as versatile , but could have been extremely effective here. Although the PATS o-line isnt as good as the jets , its still a top ten one. Everyone loves to use '07 as an example when talking about the o-line , but Ive always believed that their at their best when blocking down field. If you watch them you can see how much they enjoy getting down field and blocking down hill. Jones would have continued being a beast and putting up big numbers here because of line , passing game etc. And 2 years , 5 million is hardly backing up the brinks truck , Taylors deal wasnt big either. Im not sure how hard we went or even if we even went after them , but not doing so did get to me. Theres no doubt that the PATS will grab a back somewhere in this draft. I dont think anyone thought the PATS were going to go after Robinson although I really thought they should have. IMHO Bodden is a top ten CB , I think Robinson is closer to being a top 5 guy. Theres nothing wrong with having two very good CBs , that duo could have been great , easy top 3 and maybe even the best. The biggest moves they could have made and still could make are through trade. The Ravens whole team is better because of Q , and if they get a TE that can stay on the field , wow lookout. As they stand now they have real potential to be a top 5-10 O , if they land a Scheffler through trade or grab a pass catching TE in the draft that makes a versatile , tough and talented O that much more scary. They might not have a "home run" , or consistant deep threat , but now theres no more loading up the box and stopping the run to win the game. They now have a legitimate passing game with multilple weapons in Boldin , Mason(who can still ball) , Williams , Clayton and Heap. Thats not bad at all considering this WAS strictly running team just last year. The more I think about it the more impressed I am , and oh yea the still have a top 3/5 running attack in Rice , Mcgahee , and big boy McClain. Teams will have a tough time defending that offense and will have to come up with a whole different scheme in doing so. Boldin commands more attention than just one CB , your not going to double him like a Fitz , Johnson , Moss , etc but now you cant just drop a S in the box to help with that running game. And some teams will have to put or keep a S on Q because he is so physical. Take the Steelers for example , one on one he'd eat those corners up , now they might have to put their best defensive player on or over the top of Q. And the biggest thing that burns me is the picks and the money they paid him. Any way you break it down its a steal , a 3rd and 4th for a top ten receiver in his prime. Its absolutely true that Boldin has had injury problems in the past , but hes a freak and will play if he can walk. If hes healthy then your getting 80-85 rec's/11-1200/7-10 TDs. And again your getting a top 10 rec. in his prime for a 3/4 and he didnt command a long term deal or huge $. 3 years/25 million and only 10 million guaranteed is not far fetched for us at all. The other guy out there that is my first and favorite choice is Marshall. Ive been screaming about this guy since our season ended. Marshall is a top 5 receiver also in his prime and at 25(26 in a week) will be for at least 4 more years. Like Q , Marshall is a physical freak , at 6'4/220 he eats smaller DB's and too fast for most S's. He's great in both the short and long game , he can take a bubble screen 50 yards , and kill you running a post , slugo or 9 route. IMHO thats the thing that seperates him from Q , his ability to stretch the field. Forget about now , theres hasnt been alot of guys with his skill set ever. Theres just not alot of 100/11-1300/7-10 TD guys , especially in their prime. And just like Q it would be a steal for the asking price , just a first. Think of it this way , if 15's in this years draft hes a top 10-15 pick easy. And something Ive been saying for a while is this draft isnt nearly as deep as some think. Sorry to say , but most people on here couldnt come up with an original thought to save their life. They hear it on TV and thats their whole arguement , thats where 98% of the people on here get their ideas , thoughts and reasoning. Moss/Marshall/Edelman/Tate could shatter records , give D's nightmares and we would finally have the X receiver that we lacked for years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In Response to Re: my weekend thought over Patriots needs...:
    Well if next year is like 2000 but 2011-2014 are going to be similar to 2001-2004 then I'm all for it.
    Posted by Wizardsjag
    its not going to happen the same way but if there are similar outcomes, then yeah i'll take that. Maybe BB needs to refine his style of coaching and managing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

wizardsjag... that is what I mean basicly though I think 2010 is a playoff year they night make the second round but they are looking like a team that is looking to be the odds on favorite in 2011-2014 or so as you mentioned.

apdynasty23... you may disagree but I don't think the Patriots feel that they have to sign any of these "high" profile Free Agents to be a contender. They will be no worse then 10-6 again this year if they avoid any major injury issues which is always the case in the nfl

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I sure hope there isn't a lockout. Only greed would make it happen.

If the Pats and other teams are preparing for a lockout, that just makes one more likely, and reduces their incentive to negotiate a compromise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I am guessing a shortened season next year, but not a total lost season.  Either would be sad tho.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Billionaires bickering with millionaires and us thousandaires lose out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

In Response to Re: my weekend thought over Patriots needs...:
    Billionaires bickering with millionaires and us thousandaires lose out.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

amen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

DaBlade I agree it could be the case.  I think it's a combination of the Pats having a lot of young players on the team (edelman, butler, chung, volmer, pryer, tate, mckensie, mayo, guyton, wheately, brace), they arren't overly excited about the FAs out there and they have a lot of draft pics in the next 2 years.  It makes sense to hold off taking a gamble on a big FA contract with guarantee $$ and/or giving up draft pics if you have a lot of potential talent and pics in the near future.  In 2012 if all these pics and players work out it makes sense to spend big $$ and pics for the chance to get on another 01-07 run.