Near Brilliant Belichick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pewee139. Show pewee139's posts

Near Brilliant Belichick

For all you nay sayers out there who are questioning the big re signings of Wilfork and Banta Cain, let me give my take on it.
    By signing not only Wilfork but ALSO Banta Cain, it showed more than just "only our super elite players will be getting paid". that kind of message has to ripple through the locker room (especially on the defensive side). The defense was weak last year, and by having these two signings of big $$, every other player is going to remember that-same goes for any free agents on the market. If the Pats had only re-signed Wilfork for big $$, it would have been the expected thing to do and nobody would have really thought twice about it. These moves brought a LOT of positive attention to this team..just watch the off season unfold

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Near Brilliant Belichick

I respectfully disagree.  No way they throw money around, it goes against there core beliefs.  I agree with the theory that Wilfork was resigned as a backup plan for not landing Peppers.  They had an entire year to get the deal done but wait to just after the Peppers signing.........coincidence?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

pewee- 

I agree. I think this is about sending the message that if people like Banta-Cain (a 7th round pick lest we forget) step up to play hard and be a team player, this is what happens. Same for Wilfork, higher pick but, he has quietly played superb and done what is asked of him. I'm not saying players like Adalius Thomas will get it but, others are surely watching. They remember Banta-Cain coming in with little chance and now the guy is gettin' it done! Good for him and Wilfork. 

If anything, the past 2 days moves have showed that the Patriots have not forgotten what getting AD has done. Zilch essentially. That's why they never pulled the trigger on Peppers. They waited to see what he'd get for money and basically gave Wilfork about the same. Peppers would be the next AD IMO. 

Hard work should get rewarded. I think you're right in that maybe this will light a fire under some of the under achievers on the team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Actually, it is about spending money smartly. Peppers was paid about 3 times more than TBC and had 1/2 a sack more last year. Peppers is a good player, but he is getting paid more for name recognition, what he has done in the past, and what the team hopes they can do. Plus, Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo have one foot out the door in Chicago and they are doing what they can to win now to keep their jobs and don't have to care about the long term financial health of the team. Plus, there is no way in the world you let Wilfork go for Peppers. That would have been the biggest boneheaded move ever, and it wasnt done because we have a excellent head coach running the team!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

WIthout a great DT does Peppers even end up having double digit sacks when he faces Long and Ferguson twice a year. By showing interest in Peppers the Pats, at least, demostrate a willingness to grab some quality players. Cain is not as good as Peppers, but the Pats know what they are getting with him. They basically have to hope that Peppers converts to great 3-4 OLB after playing the 4-3 DE. Not exactly a seamless transition.

At best the Bears spent a ton of money for maybe two more wins. They still have this century's Jeff George at QB and we have this century's Joe Montana at QB (and he needs an extension).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Your giving BB more credit than he deserves. Enough already with this notion that every thing this man does is "genius". He's taking a reactive approach as always which can work sometimes..but more often than not it backfires. Watch how the Bodden thing plays out. He's good as gone because as usual they miscaculated the market for DB's. They'll now need to pay dearly to keep him..which they won't do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Near Brilliant Belichick:
    pewee-  I agree. I think this is about sending the message that if people like Banta-Cain (a 7th round pick lest we forget) step up to play hard and be a team player, this is what happens. Same for Wilfork, higher pick but, he has quietly played superb and done what is asked of him. I'm not saying players like Adalius Thomas will get it but, others are surely watching. They remember Banta-Cain coming in with little chance and now the guy is gettin' it done! Good for him and Wilfork.  If anything, the past 2 days moves have showed that the Patriots have not forgotten what getting AD has done. Zilch essentially. That's why they never pulled the trigger on Peppers. They waited to see what he'd get for money and basically gave Wilfork about the same. Peppers would be the next AD IMO.  Hard work should get rewarded. I think you're right in that maybe this will light a fire under some of the under achievers on the team. 
    Posted by mrbungle

To ALL:

~Initially, I too wanted Dansby, Boldin, or perhaps Peppers.  Yet in retrospect, I'm coming to terms with NE's strategy here.  mrbungle and the initial post/poster IS largely correct here, and especially with the AD signing.  Now, some might say that NE really NEEDS to hit upon a few elite free agent superstar signings since we have a HOF QB who's NOT getting any younger and so we need to maximize our potential for another Lomabrdi run(s).  I formerly would have placed my ballot in that camp...but not any longer.  Sorry to break it all to some of you, BUT this team DOES need more than 1, 2, maybe even 3 or so key free agent super cogs in order to become an elite front running dynasty once again.  And I believe Bill Belichick has recognized this...and finally, so have I.  

I ALSO thus believe that in the 2006 and 2007 seasons Belichick did himself think that he could push through another championship with a few key cogs (free agents) to bolster and give a kind of facelift to our recent (as of then) Championship team(s) in the early-mid part of this past decade.  BB paid for AD, rented Stallworth, franchised A$, & spent key draft picks on Welker & Moss and signed them for THIS very reason: To hopefully push through yet 1, perhaps ideally 2 MORE Championships.  And NE came close...but close don't mean sh#t, does it?  Belichick I firmly believe has come to final terms that He needs 2 maybe even 3 seasons of true rebuilding of The Pats for any honest chance at a dynastic run once more...  I'm slowly and painfully coming to similiar terms with this as well (with a few bumps here and there)...  It would benefit ALL true NE Fans if they did likewise.  

Imho even though one cannot trully judge a Draft Class for a couple seasons or more, I DO believe this team had a successful Draft in 2009.  Butler WILL be and has shown glimpses of being a decent cover-corner (guys just a College junior-NFL rookie).  Vollmer will be our starting Left Offensive Tackle.  Chung will be amongst a group (including McGowan) of dual-coverage all-purpose Safeties.  Edelman is our future starting Slot Receiver.  We secured, however unglamorous, a long-snapper in Ingram.  1 of Ohrnberger/Bussey will probably be a future offensive guard, or first backup at least.  1 of Richard/Pryor WILL be the next Jarvis Green, a 3-4 DE backup and/or a decent 4-3 DE/DT.  Jury's still out on Brace, but guess what?  Jury was big-time out on Wilfork during his rookie year.

AND guess what also?  Belichick has shown too that this team needs major overhauling by his Free Agent moves this year.  And sorry to hammer this point home, But Belichick IF he DID believe NE simply needed a couple or a few critical cogs for another Championship, BB would have signed some of these big-name free agent(s) like he did in 2007, when NE was the second highest spending NFL Franchise.  But he hasn't AND he won't.  He would have secured at the very least Leigh Bodden...BUT in another year, and again-possibly 2 more years, what would be the point of that?  At that point, BB will then or now either draft a very highly rated CB to become the future mainstay on the other side of Butler, OR He will draft a mid-round CB that'll just have to do for a year or two before BB in this scenario in a year or two, signs a very good vet CB when he believes NE has ALL it's pieces together for the next dynasty run.  BB COULD have signed Wilfork to 4, 5, even 6 years...but he didn't.  And guess why?  Because by that time, NE will either have another younger & fresher NT and/or Brace will have matured to be our future starting 3-4 NT.  And guess what yet again?  NE COULD have signed Tully Banta-Cain to a 4 or 5 year moderately priced deal, BUT BB chose yet again to simply do a 3 year deal, in which time after-Pryor/Richard will be that guy or Pryor & Richard will be the next J Green and Banta Cain.  Likewise, there's no point in overpaying Jarvis Green and there's NO point in spending money on Watson when NE can simply make do with a cheaper equally or even lesser talented but way cheaper veteran for 1 and agin, perhaps 2 seasons as they cultivate a rookie TE or simply sign a very good FA TE when BB deems it's time...

~Apologies to ALL for being your "Reality Check."  Last season (2009) was rebuilding year #1 and Belichcik has acted then and NOW, accordingly.  This DOES simply s#ck for our top 2 players in Randy Moss and Tom Brady, YET that sum of just 2 players can't take precedence over the entire team...no matter how good.  Moss, in stating that he doesn't believe he'll be back with NE in 2011, is, ummm-CORRECT.  He won't.  He's already something like 33 or 34, and he's losing a HOF step in his game.  Moss will not be on the next championship NE Team.  BUT Brady at just 29 years old, is a different story.  Favre is playing @ 40 and Brady has stated he wants to do the same.  So what?  2 more rebuilding years and Brady will still ONLY be 32 years old by the time the Season begins...No prob.  

~In the end, sorry to ALL bandwagon country club fans...BUT it is d#mn near next to impossible to have a Championship run EVERY single year, and almost absurd to believe you can have a dynastic team forever, season after season after season.  The naysayers bring up Indy's continued and largely stablized success throughout this whole decade, YET they luckily (unlike most franchises) never had a couple bad Draft Classes back to back, and Indy has not had the kind of personell & player mass defections elsewhere that NE had, because NE WAS an actual dynasty and thus, subject to more of the limelight and successes and unfortunately some of the fallout and shortcomings being a dynasty in the spotlight brings with it...

~Finally, I really do believe certain Patriot Fans NEED this rude awakening:  See, Bill Belichick ALWAYS tries to field a contending team, yet fielding a contender CANNOT trump building a successful franchise for the long run...gearing up for the next critical dynastic run.

Thoughts ANYONE?              

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Your giving BB more credit than he deserves. Enough already with this notion that every thing this man does is "genius". He's taking a reactive approach as always which can work sometimes..but more often than not it backfires. Watch how the Bodden thing plays out. He's good as gone because as usual they miscaculated the market for DB's. They'll now need to pay dearly to keep him..which they won't do.
    Posted by smorgan86

You are an idiot leon or who ever you are.  Told you already go back to jets forums

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Lazurus-

The more I think this over, Derrick Mason could be a real pickup for us. He's 36 sure but, he still did very well last year. Moss, Edelman, Patten, Mason would be a decent 4 for Brady to throw to. Now, factor in Brandon Tate and if he plays like he can, look out. In the meantime, if Tate comes along slow, we have Mason. Nobody expects Mason to get 85 receptions but, if Brady has those 4 to throw to, he can mix it up like he likes to. I've always liked Mason myself. Oh, BTW, Mason stats last year? 

73 rec/1028 yds/ZERO fumbles. Got to like that.  

TBC does something for our pass rush (or lack thereof) but, we need full time pass rushers. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I respectfully disagree.  No way they throw money around, it goes against there core beliefs.  I agree with the theory that Wilfork was resigned as a backup plan for not landing Peppers.  They had an entire year to get the deal done but wait to just after the Peppers signing.........coincidence?
    Posted by Tcal2

You could have a real point. If he Pats had landed Peppers then the plan moving forward would have been to draft somebody like Mount Cody of Alabama to play the nose and let Wilfork walk. Now that's mote. One side note, I wish I had a crystal ball to see how Ron Brace ends up with the Pats? He was a high round pick (2nd) last year and had a tough rookie season. Not what Belichick had hoped for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Coaching and managing an NFL team is filled with random events.  Belichick's overall body of work has been brilliant, no qualifiers, no seasons starting in 2001 that were below 10-6 and a number that were far better. 

He's still going to draft people who pop their ACLs the first day out, and players will get quietly injured throughout the year, and the random events aren't really a reflection on his coaching intelligence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Laz,

I agree wholeheartedly. I feel strongly the reason Belichick has been stockpiling draft picks is because of the quality of this years draft. Trading out would defeat the purpose.

The draft is how NE must reload. With last years draft and four picks in the first two rounds this year and two number ones next year the Pats appear to be setting up pretty well for the future.