need your opinion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

need your opinion

Hey guys, I used to be a frequent poster here but do not contribute as much these days because of new schedule and prioritities.

I've always been really into sports forums but I feel they're all antiquated, unreliable, moderated unfairly, and unorganized. I especially hate the ads too.

I'm working on a platform where you can add all your teams to one page and manage all of your conversations (regardless of which team you root for) on one site. Some key things I'm working on:

1) The more valuable your contributions are in the eyes of your audience, the more premium space you get for other fans to read your insights and opinions.

2) Moderation is done by the community.

3) Each post can be voted up or down, flagged, etc.

4) There would definitely be a mobile app/mobile site so you can instantly start threads and comment without having to wait for an entire newspaper site to load.

Wanted to get your thoughts overall. Any feedback is appreciated!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: need your opinion

Yes, Leon, you could commemorate a thread to yourself and see if you can build your own community of Leon fans haha.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Great idea apdynasty23 ...

Lord knows this particular sight has been steadily going south .

Notable exceptions have been welcome input like the Weekly Scoring Contest

( TY nyjoseph )

and Philshiw1's Knockout contest

( TY Phil and supreme congrats to the winner Noise - who lapped the field and finally got knocked out just this past week on the Eagles last second win over the Bucs )

So IMO adding on-going contests might be a good move.

Best wishes with it

( in the mean time apdynasty23 ...post more here please )

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Good idea. Thanks for the input!

I'll try to contribute more often but to be honest, I got turned off by all the trolling haha. Plus, I got married in August so new life and new schedule these days.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to apdynasty23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey guys, I used to be a frequent poster here but do not contribute as much these days because of new schedule and prioritities.

I've always been really into sports forums but I feel they're all antiquated, unreliable, moderated unfairly, and unorganized. I especially hate the ads too.

I'm working on a platform where you can add all your teams to one page and manage all of your conversations (regardless of which team you root for) on one site. Some key things I'm working on:

1) The more valuable your contributions are in the eyes of your audience, the more premium space you get for other fans to read your insights and opinions.

4) There would definitely be a mobile app/mobile site so you can instantly start threads and comment without having to wait for an entire newspaper site to load.

[/QUOTE]

Love the concept/idea... curious to see the finished product.

The one question I'd have is tied to bullet 2... please provide more detail around how the community would be moderating (rules/guidelines/final say, etc.).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

mbeaulieu07,

Well, it needs more refinement but it's kind of like how social networks moderate themselves. Facebook never has someone patrol random people and remove people on their own for self-promotion, abusive comments, etc. They have to be reported enough by other Facebook users or they have to get that one ridiculous flag+comment (such as "this guy is threatening to blow up his school tomorrow") to really make a move.

I just don't like how moderators for sports forums are faceless, nameless people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good idea. Thanks for the input!

I'll try to contribute more often but to be honest, I got turned off by all the trolling haha. Plus, I got married in August so new life and new schedule these days.

[/QUOTE]
    Congratulations! Its getting Crunch Time now. Throw in a comment or 2 every once in a while.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot! I'll certainly try.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Can I post photoshops?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Yes, posting images would definitely be possible.

A cool thing we're working on is letting fans upload pictures from games and then creating an in-game collage of a game as it's unfolding. It'd also lead to an interactive timeline of a team.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

mbeaulieu07,

Well, it needs more refinement but it's kind of like how social networks moderate themselves. Facebook never has someone patrol random people and remove people on their own for self-promotion, abusive comments, etc. They have to be reported enough by other Facebook users or they have to get that one ridiculous flag+comment (such as "this guy is threatening to blow up his school tomorrow") to really make a move.

I just don't like how moderators for sports forums are faceless, nameless people.

[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, how about a feature that will allow you to flat out delete/ignore/block a particular poster from your personal data feed... a complete block feature like you would see on FB.  That way you're in control of the content that you're able to view and who can contact you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

mbeaulieu07,

[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, how about a feature that will allow you to flat out delete/ignore/block a particular poster from your personal data feed... a complete block feature like you would see on FB.  That way you're in control of the content that you're able to view and who can contact you.

[/QUOTE]

Done! Good idea.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

mbeaulieu07,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Done! Good idea.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

mbeaulieu07,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Done! Good idea.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome!

[/QUOTE]

If you'd like, I can share the user interface with you as soon as I have it completed. If you're interested, email me at anandp[at]myriann.com and I'll share when ready. I definitely want to have a group of beta testers ready.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Do you plan on running your own site with this platform, or selling it to the Globe?  Because if it's the former, well good luck but it will be difficult to generate the sort of traffic needed to get any sort of traction. Not saying it's not possible but...

If you're selling it the Globe, I'm all for it if it's an improvement, which doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you plan on running your own site with this platform, or selling it to the Globe?  Because if it's the former, well good luck but it will be difficult to generate the sort of traffic needed to get any sort of traction. Not saying it's not possible but...

If you're selling it the Globe, I'm all for it if it's an improvement, which doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

[/QUOTE]

I'd want it to be an independent platform. What makes you think it'd be hard to generate traction? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts as to why it'd be difficult. Personally, I root for the Patriots and the Atlanta Braves. I have to visit two different sites to discuss my two teams. If I then want to reach out to the 49ers fan base to see what they're saying about Sunday's game, I'd have to visit their local paper. If I was wanting to see what the fans of Cleveland Indians were saying regarding a possible trade with my Atlanta Braves, where would I go? Sure, I can visit my normal blogs such as BleacherReport, ESPNBoston, and ProHardball/ProFootballTalk, but again, the comments are not unified in any way. Each blog has its own database of users and contributors. Where will they ever tie in together to create an ongoing conversation?

The usual forums are hosted on the local paper's website. They use a turnkey message board and skin it to match their site. Other forums don't use the same system. It's all fragmented.

Plus, I am in the tech field and mobile is blowing up. The numbers are insane. How do sports fans discuss their teams and players while on the go? I don't see a stable, reputable site where you can discuss these topics from your mobile device.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds cool but ambitious...how much time you got on your hands these days?

It's good to see you back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just enough to make this happen. I'm in the tech/startup world so I'm constantly building other people's startups or serving as a consultant. I spend a lot of time evaluating new apps and technologies they're implementing. There's really no end in sight with this industry. Naturally, being the sports geek that I am, I'm looking to combine the two worlds.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just enough to make this happen. I'm in the tech/startup world so I'm constantly building other people's startups or serving as a consultant. I spend a lot of time evaluating new apps and technologies they're implementing. There's really no end in sight with this industry. Naturally, being the sports geek that I am, I'm looking to combine the two worlds.

[/QUOTE]

Gotcha.  I like the idea.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

sounds good in theory. I'm wondering if it will be a popularity contest. My guess is it'll be about all the koolaid drinkers rah-rahing the team.

It would certainly get rid of trolls.