Needle in the haystack of the draft...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Needle in the haystack of the draft...

I don't know exactly what people in the NFL think of this guy but to me he is the star of the RB class. I heard or read somewhere that he is a 4th or 5th round pick. I don't get it I would take him over any of the RB's in the draft.

Vick Ballard RB Mississippi St.- Ballard totaled 1,189 yards and 10 touchdowns for an average of 6.1 yards per carry. To end 2011, he ran for 180 yards against Wake Forest after totaling 144 yards against Ole Miss. Teams sold out to stop Ballard and make Mississippi State beat them through the air. He has a nice combination of size and speed. I would be so siked if the Pats got him somehow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Needle in the haystack of the draft...

Really no thoughts but mine and one others on this guy? I know he isn't a household name but dang!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

if we get an extra pick from hoyer....
    or if we get an c/g in fa and dont need to draft one... maybe
    otherwise with all the needs we have free agency may be the bet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Just seems like another average RB to me.

I remember him in the senior bowl and he was nothing special. Average at best.

He's not very fast or has great twitch reaction, has some good power but can be dropped by a LB at the next level. The biggest sign is that he ate up on weaker opponents early in his senior season but dropped off towards the end. Only had 2 100yrd games against teams in his conference. One thing I also noticed was that he's not the best open field runner. He's more of a grind it out between the T's power back. Not sure if I would spend higher then a 5th on that type of runner

Honestly the NFL is littered with RB's that had 6+ypc averages in the college ranks. If he gains some weight, he is a strong north south runner so he could develop into a Brandon Jacobs type of runner but my gut tells me he'll be similar to BJGE in the Pros

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

we don't need him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think going in on a player with rare physical ability, like Lamar Miller, in the second would be good. 

I watched enough Ballard to know, that he would't bring anything to the table in thsi stable.

Good thread Blade, just don't like the player for the roster spot. Maybe if NE hadn't grabbed Ridley last season, but not now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

my problem is I am just not sold on Ridley. I know RB isn't the big need when you look at how much they will be throwing but I would like a bryyer RB on this team then what I think we currently have...
    And thanks for the compliment on the thread, I just remember seeing him the past season and he ran for about 170 in the game I saw and from what I have heard and read teams sold out to stop him and made them beat them with the pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

according to walter football:

Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 219
    40 Time: 4.63.
    Bench: 23.
    Vertical: 33. Broad: 9-7.
    Arm: 31 1/8. Hand: 9 1/2.
    Projected Round (2012): 4-5.

3/12/12: Ballard had a disappointing 40 time at the Combine after he had just an average performance at the Senior Bowl. Ballard started out the 2011 season very strong, but he ended up with only two 100-yard rushing games against a conference opponent. This year, Ballard totaled 1,189 yards and 10 touchdowns for an average of 6.1 yards per carry. To end 2011, he ran for 180 yards against Wake Forest after totaling 144 yards against Ole Miss.

Teams sold out to stop Ballard and make Mississippi State beat them through the air. He has a nice combination of size and speed. Ballard could be a good sleeper running back on the third day of the draft.

8/18/11: The junior college product Vick Ballard had a solid debut for Mississippi State last season. He ran for 968 yards on 186 carries (5.3 average) with 19 touchdowns. Ballard was instrumental in sealing their 10-7 road victory over Florida. He is a physical, downhill runner who is capable of logging a large amount of carries. The Bulldogs are a program on the rise, and Ballard figures to be their workhorse back in 2011.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Sounds a little like BJGE's college resume actually. Just remove the "State." Similar physically as well.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Needle in the haystack of the draft...:
    [QUOTE]Really no thoughts but mine and one others on this guy? I know he isn't a household name but dang!
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Nah DaBlade, I'm 100% with you on Ballard (I even wrote down so, in some other thread)...  I think both on 1 of BredBru's threads on that one where he asks 1 player at 1 position to best help NE win the SB, along with that 2012 Picks Only thread (2nd post of my picks I think).

Ya man, Ballard's gone largely unnoticed.  After Richardson, Miller, Boise St guy, and Va Tech (I been up all night, o.k.?), The rest've these guys have been tiered as WAY lesser quality, almost to the point of being unmentioned en masse.  I definately want Belichick to use those 1st and 2nd Rders on Defense, PLUS 1 of these 4 on a trade down this year, while accumulating a high pick for next year in that process.  BB does this, and he can take Ballard with one of these now 2 theoretically resulting 3rd rders or thereabouts (trade & his own).  On one of those threads I threw down a quick highlight of Ballard's...ya should check it out. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

Polk!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Polk!
    Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

that guy does everything actually.

as for the needle in the haystack, i'd go wit mb's find - burris.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]check out this kid. he had a down season because of a hamstring injury, but is now 100%, ran a 4.53 at the combine at 5'10 205lb. 2011 vs 25th ranked Cincinatti prior to hamstring pull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XspkstrhjI 2010 vs 6th ranked Alabama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XCWBYspxo Feature video Senior RB Tauren Poole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEI8DVES0XE
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

Some differences between Poole and Ballard...  First at an undersized (5'10 205lbs), physique (although lower body thickness), Poole is SLOW...he plays really, REALLY slow on-field, has very little or none wiggling, juking ability (ESPECIALLY at that weight). 

And he's a Uof T Runningback...  Lemme tell'ya, this school CHURNS out Runningbacks- It's a RB Factory.  And Tauren Poole looks to be the far worse RB outta the half dozen (OR more) RBs that Tennessee has put on the draft table during the past 3 or 4 Seasons.  He looks to be a FAR lesser RB than THESE former guys...Whom almost seem to either not succeed at all in The NFL, or just very nominally.  U of T's O Coordinator is very underrated-  Against bigger teams, Tennessee runs that 3 wideout option Offense, spreading the D out (Alabama)...  And against far smaller Defensive fronts, U of T, gives their RBs 7 man fronts (often times WITH a Fullback)-  VERY smart O Coordinator.  He makes MUCH lesser RBs look semi-decent using numerous schemes & fronts that they can work out of (very malleable and 1 extreme to another based on Opponent's D), while simply asking of his below average skilled RBs to simply run hard and to keep their head up.  Past 5 years or so, these U of T RBs, fail in The NFL...they just do.  It's o.k., I was high on these guys coming outta this school for the longest time...  But they are NOT that good whatsoever, upon turning pro. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]where is the option to not draft him at all? I haven't been impressed with ballard one bit. he was great against mediocre competition this season, but against Miss St's toughest matchups he was shut down, 5 games vs ranked teams, insvisible. from what i've seen on tape he lacks vision and toughness between the tackles and he does the maroney shuffle when asked to run inside. NO THANKS! my top RB prospects: 1. trent richardson 2. doug martin 3. chris polk 4. isaiah pead 5. tauren poole 6. david wilson 7. cyrus gray 8. robert turbin 9. lamar miller 10. lamichael james 11. brandon bolden

wow you really drop wilson and miller

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]check out this kid. he had a down season because of a hamstring injury, but is now 100%, ran a 4.53 at the combine at 5'10 205lb. 2011 vs 25th ranked Cincinatti prior to hamstring pull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XspkstrhjI 2010 vs 6th ranked Alabama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XCWBYspxo Feature video Senior RB Tauren Poole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEI8DVES0XE

of teh poole vide at alabama, i saw him make one play on his own, at teh very end, reversing direction. otherwise i saw nothing remarkable at all in the vid. he can, like most backs, run through a 10 to 15 foot hole in the line of scrimmage. i saw that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Needle in the haystack of the draft... : Some differences between Poole and Ballard...  First at an undersized (5'10 205lbs), physique (although lower body thickness), Poole is SLOW...he plays really, REALLY slow on-field, has very little or none wiggling, juking ability (ESPECIALLY at that weight).  And he's a Uof T Runningback...  Lemme tell'ya, this school CHURNS out Runningbacks- It's a RB Factory.  And Tauren Poole looks to be the far worse RB outta the half dozen (OR more) RBs that Tennessee has put on the draft table during the past 3 or 4 Seasons.  He looks to be a FAR lesser RB than THESE former guys...Whom almost seem to either not succeed at all in The NFL, or just very nominally.  U of T's O Coordinator is very underrated-  Against bigger teams, Tennessee runs that 3 wideout option Offense, spreading the D out (Alabama)...  And against far smaller Defensive fronts, U of T, gives their RBs 7 man fronts (often times WITH a Fullback)-  VERY smart O Coordinator.  He makes MUCH lesser RBs look semi-decent using numerous schemes & fronts that they can work out of (very malleable and 1 extreme to another based on Opponent's D), while simply asking of his below average skilled RBs to simply run hard and to keep their head up.  Past 5 years or so, these U of T RBs, fail in The NFL...they just do.  It's o.k., I was high on these guys coming outta this school for the longest time...  But they are NOT that good whatsoever, upon turning pro.    
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

agreed about the ut runing attack

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Needle in the haystack of the draft... : i don't see poole playing slow, he's a patient runner, but he isn't slow. he also isn't the fastest guy (4.53), but he is shifty and quick with a solid burst. he also plays bigger than his size. did you watch the cincinatti game? your boy ballard ran a 4.63 and plays smaller than his size would indicate. where was his speed against ranked competition? within the past 5 years tennessee has produced arian foster (2800+ yards in the past 2 seasons), who has miss st given us within the past 5 years? anthony dixon? (career 3.3 ypc). how many 3rd down backs does NE need? (woody, vereen, faulk)

agreed about wantign a 3 down (not a 3rd down back).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Needle in the haystack of the draft... : i don't see poole playing slow, he's a patient runner, but he isn't slow. he also isn't the fastest guy (4.53), but he is shifty and quick with a solid burst. he also plays bigger than his size. did you watch the cincinatti game? your boy ballard ran a 4.63 and plays smaller than his size would indicate. where was his speed against ranked competition? within the past 5 years tennessee has produced arian foster (2800+ yards in the past 2 seasons), who has miss st given us within the past 5 years? anthony dixon? (career 3.3 ypc). how many 3rd down backs does NE need? (woody, vereen, faulk)

This is good...  You saw Tauren Polle will be the better Runningback, I saw Vick Ballard will be- Time will tell.  In the 1 in a zillion chance that sometime between Draft and The Regular Season, Tauren Poole acquires size, speed, agility, and skill, to compliment the fact that he hits the hole hard, bring this thread back to the light of day so I can saw that you were correct, o.k. (and I promise I will)?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Needle in the haystack of the draft...:
    [QUOTE]I don't know exactly what people in the NFL think of this guy but to me he is the star of the RB class. I heard or read somewhere that he is a 4th or 5th round pick. I don't get it I would take him over any of the RB's in the draft. Vick Ballard RB Mississippi St.- 
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

DaBlade I'd vote no, and not because I don't like Ballard (who is on my board) but because a veteran runningback might be a necessity, rather than another rookie. 

Though if BB saw something he liked in a workout or film, I could see him going against the grain of even his own tendencies and carry nothing but a stable of baby faced backs... unlikely but maybe?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm going to give Ballard a slight yes. 

Brandon Spikes had a lousy 40 time, but he played well on tape.  Ballard had one 40 time of face plant, he couldn't run the 40 yards except on his face, and another time of 4.65 which is terrible.  At his pro day he hit 4.55 and 4.53, which is a little better. 

Best guess, this guy drops like a rock because he's the face plant guy.